Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Subscription Model Announced

Comments

• strellokstrellok Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by orbitxo

so many great games out there F2p. or better cash shop bundles.

So many people keep SPAMMING forums EVERYWHERE how many great f2p alternatives there are.

Now I want you show them to me.

Not a single f2p or b2p game is worth my time and never was worth my time in the long run. They are not good games. Thats why they are f2p. And I am not talking about p2w. I am talking about good quality video game.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

I support the sub. I'm tired of people expecting to have free to play MMOs.

EDIT: Changed the word people from Peasants

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    why would I pay 15 a month to play skyrim when I can play skyrim for free?
  • ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

F2P is better, who cares if you have to pay 5$ to unlock something. It is one time fee.

Then you can jump in and out of the game every few months and dont think about a sub.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

When it comes to a game the payment model is about the last goddamn thing I worry about when it comes to the decision of whether I will play it or not.

I do think that with so many F2P options available nowadays, a try-before-you-buy policy should most definitely be established.

SWTOR did so with its open beta, and saved me 60+ dollars in the process. 

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by Arcona

F2P is better, who cares if you have to pay 5$ to unlock something. It is one time fee.

Then you can jump in and out of the game every few months and dont think about a sub.

Yeah as I posted earlier in this thread, if everything is sub again that's going to suck, atm sub almost feels special or superior model, but if everything is sub again...

Good example is 15 a month who cares, my family is going to playing this game so that 15 is now 75 a month, just thought of this f&ck.

Subs suck again sorry. Subs are great if it’s just me playing I guess, lol

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by darkedone02
    Well this game just committed suicide, this game don't even look good to appear as a P2P title, Watch as this game going to collapse FAST...

Its the "Hero" fate ..

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

While some F2P models are better than others, I do prefer a P2P model.

Happy to hear that ESO will be subscription-based.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Does F2P generate more revenue for the company? If it does. Then who are the ones ultimately paying the price? Because everywhere I see folks saying F2P is better they then go on to say they haven't spent a penny in...x months or whatever.

MMOs are a different beast. They're constantly in maintenance. Someone has to pony up for that, no?

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by strellok

So many people keep SPAMMING forums EVERYWHERE how many great f2p alternatives there are.

Not a single f2p or b2p game is worth my time and never was worth my time in the long run. They are not good games. Thats why they are f2p. And I am not talking about p2w. I am talking about good quality video game.

And you are playing what p2p MMOs right now? 

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

1. Announce subscription payment model.

2. Announce lifetime subscriptions

3. Moneygrab and buy private island

1 year later of declining subs

4. F2P announced with compensation for lifetime subs with cash shop tokens

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Thank the Gods!!!

[mod edit]
  • DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by NBlitz

Does F2P generate more revenue for the company? If it does. Then who are the ones ultimately paying the price? Because everywhere I see folks saying F2P is better they then go on to say they haven't spent a penny in...x months or whatever.

MMOs are a different beast. They're constantly in maintenance. Someone has to pony up for that, no?

That's because you're experiencing confirmation bias. You assume that because one person (or a few) say they don't pay a dime, that everyone who plays doesn't pay.

Well that isn't the case. I for one do buy content in f2p games...mostly the xpacs and rp items.

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

P2P simply does not support people who can't or won't devote their lives to one single game. I personally like variety. My play is sporadic, I may hit an online game really hard for a month, then play a single player game with a great story for a while, then come back to the online game. Subscriptions suck for this type of play. Who wants to be obligated to one game and need to play so much time a month or they feel like they are wasting money? There are too many games out there these days (mmorpg, single player, and so on) to lock yourself down in my opinion. No matter how good a game is, I get burned out and want something different for a while. What if I go on vacation or have a deadline at work?

Is F2P truly free? Of course not, salaries have to be paid,  but at least with F2P I can decide WHEN I am willing and/or able to shell out money and what is worth shelling out money for. So others can slap on the P2P ball and chain, I'll pass. 

I will be surprised if they can stick to this, but if they do, good for them. I hope it makes the P2P fans happy for a while.

• strellokstrellok Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Drakephire
    Originally posted by strellok

And you are playing what p2p MMOs right now? 

Of course not. 

Its time for new games.

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by DrDream
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Well this gonna be interesting. Since ESO and Wildstar plan to launch around the same time and both go p2p, most people who wanted to try both will just choose one of them. ESO might win this fight thx to IP.

Personally im still going for Wildstar, i may try ESO when it has a free trial or if i hear amazing things otherwise im not much for Real time combat in my MMO's i like Tab-target.

Wildstar has action combat.....

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Good, I prefer "Freemium" games like DDO and the EQ brothers, but this will do almost as well. Freemium bulks out the population while keeping the "You're Special!" sub option.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Originally posted by Burntvet

The frustrated tears

Of the F2P kiddies

Taste just like candy.

Edit for Haiku

So many sub games

Soon they will change their model

F2P laughs last

Just kidding around:)

Not calling the game doomed because it went P2P but its is a huge problem for console players and the console market.  

Last I heard PS4 is going to require a $5 dollar monthly fee for PS+ to play online, and we all know Xbone is going to cost the usual xbox live fee.

What console player wants to pay another monthly fee to play a single game?  Not to mention on fragmented servers where PC/Xbone/PS4 are all on separate servers.  

Also if there isn't a huge sign posted about requiring a subscription fee to play.  I can already see a huge amount of returns.  I could go as far as it becoming news worthy about Bethesda being required to let people that bought the console version unaware of it requiring a subscription to return the game because the information for requiring a sub was not made clear. (Yes I know Zenimax is producing the game but Bethesda is the publisher)

This would be due to all other ES games being single player and not requiring a sub.  So the over all 'safe' assumption is it won't require a sub due to history.

The PC version should do alright, and will change to F2P/B2P when they lose subscribers.  Its becoming a trend, I almost wonder if market research has been done and found out that the B2P loyalists that stay with a game that converts to F2P/B2P end up becoming the biggest whales.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    The idea of paying for something that is ABSOLUTELY unnecessary(the sub) just abhors me. As was visible by games such as GW1, GW 2, LoL, DoTA 2, SMITE, TSW(you choose the game),... it is CLEARLY visible that there is NO need for subscriptions.

You have no idea as to what is necessary or not.

GW1 was b2p and slowly added a cash shop. GW 2 launched with a cash shop.

I haven't played the others but do they have cash shops? can you buy things and spend money other than the purchase of the game.?

As I said in another thread, these games need "x" amount of dollars to stay afloat. Period. Developers moved to f2p because, though it does lower the barrier to entry and keep a healthy (hopefully) churn going, it uncaps the amounts that players can spend and a certain demographic will spend quite a lot.

But with that model, they don't know how much money they will rake in from month to month and they need to constantly monetize new aspcects of their game to keep money flowing.

The amount of money that it takes to run these things (and I'm not talking about internet use) is still the same. All developres/producers have done is try to figure out a way to get more of it. If you aren't paying then I can assure you someone else is paying for you.

Regardless if this bothers you or not the bill is being paid. And once they have sold as much as they can they will come up with new ways to make ends meet.

Game costs for development and keeping the company afloat haven't magically gone away.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    It's easy to see that by the time EQ Next comes out we will have a total of 3 more FTP options...
  • DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by vmoped
    Originally posted by DrDream
    Well this gonna be interesting. Since ESO and Wildstar plan to launch around the same time and both go p2p, most people who wanted to try both will just choose one of them. ESO might win this fight thx to IP.

Personally im still going for Wildstar, i may try ESO when it has a free trial or if i hear amazing things otherwise im not much for Real time combat in my MMO's i like Tab-target.

From what I understand I believe Wildstar is action combat as well.  Both use telegraphs, dodge mechanics, limited action bars, and cone/aoe for hit determination.  I haven't played either, so maybe I have the wrong impression here.

Cheers!

You are right, Wildstar is not tab-target. Actually even ESO is closer to tab-target than WS, because it has abilities locked on red marked targets.

damn i couold have sworn it was tab-target with a splash of aiming kinda like some moba characters from oh say Heroes of newerth mostly devo comes to mind. either way i guess its good i got FFXIV:ARR im hoping it sucks me in as much as ive heard about it.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by onlinenow25

What console player wants to pay another monthly fee to play a single game?  Not to mention on fragmented servers where PC/Xbone/PS4 are all on separate servers.  

It's not like this sort of thing doesn't have precedent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Elite

http://guardianlv.com/2013/08/xbox-one-unboxing-key-features-locked-behind-subscription-fees-video/

Hell with Xbox Live they try to lock you into a 24 month (!!!!) contract

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/xbox-live-contract-terms

Schedule of Early Termination Fees to be paid to Microsoft:

Year One of Subscription (Months After Purchase)

Months Post Purchase  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    ETF for Cancellation $250 $250 $250 $240 $228 $216 $204 $192 $180 $168 $156 $144

Year Two of Subscription (Months After Purchase)

Months Post Purchase  13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    ETF for Cancellation $132 $120 $108 $96 $84 $72 $60 $48 $36 $24 $12 $0

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by DeVoDeVo
    Originally posted by Burntvet

The frustrated tears

Of the F2P kiddies

Taste just like candy.

Edit for Haiku

So many sub games

Soon they will change their model

F2P laughs last

Just kidding around:)

I truly hope F2P doesnt laugh last so many games get ruined by F2P b/c the community of a game is flooded with rude/disgusting/arrogant players who come in a spew out WOW CLONE WOW CLONE! or other stupid stuff like Barrens chat use to be.

Originally posted by Grixxitt
    Originally posted by onlinenow25

It's not like this sort of thing doesn't have precedent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Elite

http://guardianlv.com/2013/08/xbox-one-unboxing-key-features-locked-behind-subscription-fees-video/

Hell with Xbox Live they try to lock you into a 24 month (!!!!) contract

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/xbox-live-contract-terms

Schedule of Early Termination Fees to be paid to Microsoft:

Year One of Subscription (Months After Purchase)

Months Post Purchase  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    ETF for Cancellation $250 $250 $250 $240 $228 $216 $204 $192 $180 $168 $156 $144

Year Two of Subscription (Months After Purchase)

Months Post Purchase  13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    ETF for Cancellation $132 $120 $108 $96 $84 $72 $60 $48 $36 $24 $12 $0

And that is just another reason I will not be getting the new Xbox.