Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lack of Tanks

RaassRaass Member UncommonPosts: 24
Since the game in P4 had a lack of Tanks I was thinking to roll one when the game goes live.  But, my main is a Con and since I have not picked a Sub class, Can the sub class be the main or is it like only a few skills usable.  It's been years since I played FF games. Help!

Comments

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    P4 was all about trying Arcainist so that's why. The way I see it this game is easy as pie to level solo so at level cap is when you need tanks, and most will have level all jobs at cap so it won't be an issue. You can switch back and forth to any job you like or need.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    There is no true "Main" class beyond the one you tend to favor/play more. So if you change your mind and want to focus on a Marauder for example. Then just go change jobs and level that instead.
  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    While DPS will always be most populated, it was compounded several times by the fact that everyone wanted to try out the new class.
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I also understand that there's an issue with getting tanks since the gladiator is rather boring to level (or so i have read, I haven't played myself so please feel free to correct me as you see fit) as a tank and the Marauder is hard to tank early on since they don't have the same level of mitigation and don't have the gear/stats to offset it while leveling.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Warrior and Paladin are the tanks. Gladiator to be a paladin and Marauder to be a warrior. You can use your char from phase 4 and just pick what class you want that unlocks the job you want. Paladin is the easier tank to learn from what I read but both will have lots of love in teams. 
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Warrior and Paladin are the tanks. Gladiator to be a paladin and Marauder to be a warrior. You can use your char from phase 4 and just pick what class you want that unlocks the job you want. Paladin is the easier tank to learn from what I read but both will have lots of love in teams. 

huh? i though warrior is dps. so there is not 2hand axe/sword/mace user dps then at all? :S

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679
    Cross-class skills and experience bonus will make leveling the "boring" classes easier for people.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

huh? i though warrior is dps. so there is not 2hand axe/sword/mace user dps then at all? :S

Warrior is considered a tank class. I leveled Gladiator to 15 or 16 and I didn't feel it was boring, to the person who posted above. But I like melee a lot.

• Mr.ZerooneMr.Zeroone Member Posts: 34

Maruder / Warrior is a tanking class from the begining. Offencive, as opposed to GLD which is defensive. I've lvled up my GLD to 19 and now he has additionally 2 shield skills - fight wasn't boring.

Lancer -> Dragoon is the 2hander DPS

Pugilist -> Monk is the dual wielding DPS

Archer -> Bard is the ranged weapon DPS

Thaumaturge -> Black Mage is the ranged magic DPS

Arcanist -> Summoner is the ranged pet DPS

Conjurer - White Mage is healer

Arcanist -> Scholar is healer (with pet)

Gladiator -> Paladin is mitigation tank

Marauder -> Warrior is hp tank

• blazeicerblazeicer Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    P4 was all about trying Arcainist so that's why. The way I see it this game is easy as pie to level solo so at level cap is when you need tanks, and most will have level all jobs at cap so it won't be an issue. You can switch back and forth to any job you like or need.

You wont be able to switch to any "job" you like or need, however you will be able to switch to a different "Class" if you need too. Remember Jobs are the Advanced option of a  "class". Once you pick your "Job" you can only pick "classes" that have skills that you can use. So choose your "Job" carefully

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    Originally posted by blazeicer

You wont be able to switch to any "job" you like or need, however you will be able to switch to a different "Class" if you need too. Remember Jobs are the Advanced option of a  "class". Once you pick your "Job" you can only pick "classes" that have skills that you can use. So choose your "Job" carefully

Is this true?! I thought you could be every class/job?

You can learn all Jobs just like you can learn all Classes.

When you are playing a Class, you can use any cross-class compatible skill with that Class.

When you are playing a Job, you can only use cross-class compatible skills from related Classes.

Example:

Archer can you use any cross-class compatible skill from any other Class.

Bard can only use cross-class compatible skills from Lancer and Pugilist.

But it is possible to learn all Classes and all Jobs and switch between them outside of combat at any time you want.

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669

Jobs work just like classes, you just equip an item to become the job.

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

/phew! 

I thought you could switch jobs jobs just like classes. That previous post had me pretty worried.

Thanks for the reassurance.

• RupskulRupskul Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by vidiotking

/phew! 

I thought you could switch jobs jobs just like classes. That previous post had me pretty worried.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Don't worry.  You can play any/every class or job you want at any time.  The only limitation with jobs (Paladin, Bard, Smn, etc.) is the skills you can use from other classes.  For instance as an Archer, I can use skills from any class.  As a Bard (advanced Archer), I can only use skills from Conjurer and Lancer (and of course Archer). 

You also cannot use Job skills with other jobs.  So as an Archer, I couldn't choose to use White Mage skills or vice versa.

But as far as playing any job - you can do that.

• RaassRaass Member UncommonPosts: 24

Well I plan o trying a healer then Tank class.  So , can't wait til release to start this game.  Good reply's guys. 

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    don't forget that later in game the party size goes up to 8 instead of 4 and then there are raids... when that happens there will be dramatically more slots for dps roles per party.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    don't forget that later in game the party size goes up to 8 instead of 4 and then there are raids... when that happens there will be dramatically more slots for dps roles per party.

That's speculation.

Chances are an 8 man group will require 2 healers and 2 tanks, which still makes it a 1:1:2 ratio.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by Draemos

That's speculation.

Chances are an 8 man group will require 2 healers and 2 tanks, which still makes it a 1:1:2 ratio.

I think he just meant that there will be more slots for dps because the party size is larger, not that the proportions would favor them.

However, in 24 man raids you're probably going to bring 5-6 healers and 2-3 tanks, leaving you with at least 15 dps, so the proportions are very much in favor of DPS there.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Originally posted by twrule
    Originally posted by Draemos

That's speculation.

I think he just meant that there will be more slots for dps because the party size is larger, not that the proportions would favor them.

However, in 24 man raids you're probably going to bring 5-6 healers and 2-3 tanks, leaving you with at least 15 dps, so the proportions are very much in favor of DPS there.

Hah, I didn't think about the amount of dps slots vs tank slots in raids.  I don't roll tanks often so I'm going tank first, but I may go dragoon after marauder just to cover my bases.  Don't want to be left out hah. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.