Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is an MMORPG's real selling point?

zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361

The latest Wildstar report is out, stating it will be subscription based. Apparently, this looks like a selling point for Wildstar, with posters either supporting or hating subscriptions. After a few pages, I was like, "there got to be something else being talk about..." More posts about subscriptions. I think there is one post about not liking the graphic.

Wildstar is just an example of the many games that are within the horizon. Using the above thread as example, selling points seems to be determined before the game is actually being played, like "themepark", "casual" , "free2play", "style/nonstyle graphic", "can play just one day every month and still have achievement" etc etc. Some promoted by the game developers themselves, some claimed by gamers.

In this decade, what really determines a good MMORPG's selling point? Like gameplay? Or deep character customization? Or maybe real PVP achievements? Can it be very simple, or must be truely innovative to be considered a selling point? Or is it really before the game is even played, like themepark or sandbox?

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

for me ...

- F2P

- unique settings

- good instance & scripted missions

- solo-able content

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by greenreen

A promise/commitment to stay subscription based would be a selling point for me.

And i won't play a sub MMO again.

F2P would be the selling point for me.

I guess we are not going to play in the same games.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

My theory has always been that there are three parts of an MMO:

1) it's a bundle of different different games efficiently offered as a single package

2) it's a persistant, objectively maintained database that offers a perceived value to to one's activities and hope for future development

3) it's a crossroads that lets you run into new people in a setting where you have something natural to talk about (although in practice, I  end up doing my socializing on boards rather than in-game)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

A promise/commitment to stay subscription based would be a selling point for me.

And i won't play a sub MMO again.

F2P would be the selling point for me.

I guess we are not going to play in the same games.

Aye, I sort of knew that but here we meet... I've read plenty of your posts, I know you like free games.

There should be enough games for all of us - or enough that want to cater to all of us but I do see that your group has more companies using it. I can't even name an MMO I'm looking forward to, in all honesty, I think the payment model is enough to excrete me from MMOs altogether because free games haven't slowed and sub games are constantly going free - it severely limits my pool of choices. I haven't had one active game for months and just play single player games now in the interim. I refuse to play the free games and you the opposite, I expect both of us have our reasons and neither will be talked out of them.

Or i don't disagree there are plenty of MMOs out there, some for me, some for you.

But you are right, the trend of going F2P is very clear.

But OTOH, MMO is not the only entertainment out there. I like free games, but i don't spend all my leisure time just playing f2p MMOs. There are lots of other fun stuff too.

May be you can do some other fun stuff if you have to forget MMOs.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Interdependency, or anything else that makes me think that the players will form a decent community that lasts.  If I think it is just another ride the ride themepark with nothing to bind the players into needing each other for more than a random spot in a dungeon then I don't really get invested in the game. 
    Originally posted by Traugar
    Interdependency, or anything else that makes me think that the players will form a decent community that lasts.  If I think it is just another ride the ride themepark with nothing to bind the players into needing each other for more than a random spot in a dungeon then I don't really get invested in the game. 

I am the opposite. I don't want to depend on any other player for my fun.

Better yet, i like solo-able content (that is also group-able) so i can have options.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Good questions and interesting poll results so far.

What the developer chooses is the first sales point for me. For example, open world FFA PvP would be a 'no' sales point for me (and a 'yes' sales point for someone else). When I go down the list of what the developer is making and find no 'no' points, then I am prepared to make a sale way before I ever have access to a beta.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I'll take any MMO as long as it's fun. That's easier said than done in most cases as too many developers forget to add the fun part to the box.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183

Better yet, i like solo-able content (that is also group-able) so i can have options.

Everyone has their own preferences.  Although I don't wish for you to have less choices for which game you wish to play I do wish their were more choices that line up with what I look for in a game. 

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Everyone has their own preferences.  Although I don't wish for you to have less choices for which game you wish to play I do wish their were more choices that line up with what I look for in a game. 

Nicely said. 

(  it feels like a good universal disclaimer )

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

In other words, to you, I assume,  FPS-lobby games like Duke-Nuke'em or Unreal Tournament must be the pinnacle of MMO design.

No .. more than Diablo 3 and Torchlight. I like ARPG combat mechanics better than FPSes.

For me .. of course.

Like-wise. How is that working out for you so far?

• DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by Traugar Interdependency, or anything else that makes me think that the players will form a decent community that lasts.  If I think it is just another ride the ride themepark with nothing to bind the players into needing each other for more than a random spot in a dungeon then I don't really get invested in the game. 

Ok. That is 100% the description for a cooperative console RPG. Those types of games are not mmorpg's.

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
    Originally posted by DrCokePepsi

Originally posted by Traugar Interdependency, or anything else that makes me think that the players will form a decent community that lasts.  If I think it is just another ride the ride themepark with nothing to bind the players into needing each other for more than a random spot in a dungeon then I don't really get invested in the game. 

Ok. That is 100% the description for a cooperative console RPG. Those types of games are not mmorpg's.

And yet, today, i am playing several MMOs without any dependency on other players. So it is quite possible to do so in MMOs.