Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] WildStar: Revenue Model Revealed

Comments

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    The box price is too high in my opinion with the sub model.  That combined with what I've seen of the gameplay, says I'll probably pass on this.  I'll take a look at it closer to release but that initial box price is too high for a frivolous purchase for me.
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

The AH sounds like FFXIs implementation.  You as a seller put items up a minimum price you will accept and players "blindly" bid on items.  Granted, the difference here is that it sounds like they will expose the lowest price available.

Looking forward to it

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138

I applaud the P2P model because F2P is down right obnoxious.

Now the fight between Final Fantasy 14 and WildStar begins.

• seegeekrunseegeekrun Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by jck87

For me the main reason not to sub to ANY game is the fact that I hate to be pressured for time. Once I buy something I want to make the most of it and the 30 day limit almost forces me to play whenever I can. I don't want that I prefer to be a casual gamer and maybe play 4 hours a month which with a sub is too expensive. Even the so called CREDD system doesn't take that issue away.

I think this model completely forgets about the casual players which is a shame. Buy to play would have been fine for me. Microtransaction ok too. Even buying game time in hours instead of months would have worked, but I dislike where the seem to be heading.

I can't imagine any truly immersive MMO game ever going B2P, ever. The resources to continue development and infrastructure would be too much, unless it's a loss leader or has shared resources with another service or product.

Also, CREDD, like the PLEX system gives options. A player can pay real money for a subscription or earn in-game currency for a subscription.  Money versus time, really. I think the casual player falls into there somewhere. If there's pressure to complete something in a certain amount of time, maybe the game isn't a good fit in the first place.

Though, I suppose if someone is strapped for time _and_ strapped for money, then perhaps their attention should be on other things and not games. ;)

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    I don't think this was the best decision, but i guess i'm the minority. 
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by mistafist
    The box price is too high in my opinion with the sub model.  That combined with what I've seen of the gameplay, says I'll probably pass on this.  I'll take a look at it closer to release but that initial box price is too high for a frivolous purchase for me.

I kinda want to see a developer go with JUST a sub model,  No box cost, no 30 days free, just pay your $15 on release and go, let their content speak for itself and bet on retention rate.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I guess days of pure subscription model are nearly over. Other then FFXIV ARR i can't think of any new release going with a sub model.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

As soon as I saw all the post complaining about it being P2P. I had a good laugh, and this song popped into my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHcc6mv2KLc

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by velmax

You are in the majority. The pro-P2P players are a vocal minority, that's why every MMO that comes out as P2P in the last 8 years fails.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Derros
    Originally posted by mistafist

I kinda want to see a developer go with JUST a sub model,  No box cost, no 30 days free, just pay your $15 on release and go, let their content speak for itself and bet on retention rate.

This is kinda where I fall in as well. I can't understand the $15 price with no explanation of why that is the monthly price on top of paying for the game and all of it's future content that you have been told you are forking the $15 a month for. If I am already paying for development then why when it releases am I expected to pay, generally, the price of a game all over again? You want to charge me for an MMO with a sub and say it's for future upkeep and development I am ok with that. You want to charge box fee + sub fee + expansions then I will have to pass. And it has nothing to do with being able to afford it, it's all on principle and the fact that I like to understand where my money is going and what for. Charging $15 because that is the standard doen't cut it with me.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    If you can't pay $15 a month, you got bigger problems than not playing a game
  • kyse2kyse2 Member UncommonPosts: 32
    well that just means I am not going to play this game till it fails and goes free to play lol the game isn't that great just as I am passing on ff14 ill pass on this game :P
  • UngetuemUngetuem Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Yeah, great news !
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Hey look, I'm doing colors for these words despite the words being highly opinionated and not mattering much! It makes me feel special!

Sorry, I couldn't help but see people doing different colors, often for virtually useless text filled with whining and complaining.

Still though, its good they decided to do it in this fashion. So long as its limited to just gametime, its really not that bad of a deal. Its... a little iffy i guess that you can buy game time and sell it to others giving you ka-ching for it... but at the same time its a lot better then say a game like GW2 which lets you directly buy in game currency with it. 

I'm amazed to see so many complain about a sub though, particularly the cry for B2P which has shown to pretty much been shown to be "Buy the box, pay to have advantages" whether its GW2 or Secret world. While it probably would be better to have no ability to 'sell' a month of game time, its still a lot better then a traditional B2P game cash shop option and given the cash isn't an advantage such as GW2 with WvW, it shouldn't be that bad, specially considering it is limited to a single type of item without any direct cash to game gold change.

In short: Happy its sub, eh... iffy on it having a 'sell game time in game' system that isn't has bad as B2P games, but its still able to be taken as an advantage given game gold is very useful.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    I guess GW2's model didn't work out that well for NCSoft?  If the B2P model was that great, wouldn't they go with that?  I am glad to see this model.  I prefer the subscription model for good games, as long as there is no cash shop.  And this system gives you more flexability.. 
  • ZenMorphZenMorph Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by logan400k

I would like to see what the average F2P player spends on his or her games per month. I would then like to see what the average "F2P Only" player spends per month and whether they are actually saving money or not. Is there an initial heavy investment? Does it depend on how casual a gamer you are?

With F2P companies would not be using it if they were not making money. In several cases the games seem to be doing very well. They would not be if people were not spending money. In fact I dare say going F2P has become a money making tactic. Which of course means its not free for those players who chose to spend money.

I dunno, I think the whole F2P vs. B2P vs. Sub is more a mental game with the player base than anything. Companies would not use a model where they did not make money. Players would not play a game that was not giving them everything they wanted and needed in an MMO. Who's fooling who?

You sir, get a gold star.

I would go further and theorize that the player-base is is broken into two primary groups:

1. F2P & B2P - Low to moderate time investment and/or commitment to any one particular game and probably playing several online games.
    2. Sub - Moderately heavy to substantial time investment and/or commitment to a particular game.  Not as likely to be playing multiple games, but when they are it's a smaller number of games than those in group 1.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Originally posted by velmax

You are in the majority. The pro-P2P players are a vocal minority, that's why every MMO that comes out as P2P in the last 8 years fails.

All of those MMos were mediocre at best and down right horrible for a p2p.

• skinnymbskinnymb Member Posts: 1
    Finally back to the subs. Free to play was a nice idea but in the end you get nickel and dimed and end up spending more money for less quality of a game.
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I was happy to read that they are going down the P2P route until I read about the using credit card to buy in-game currency. i believe that defeats the purpose of a P2P to a certain extent. i guess depending on how much people buy they can balance the in-game economy that way , hmm , not too sure though. 

I'm not going to play it really as it's a bit too niche for me , even though I loved that trailer that reminded me of Space Ace! I hope it does well as I much prefer P2P , but I do have my doubts as SWTOR went freemium fairly quickly.

Anyway at least it isn't a pure F2P , so good on them for doing this and good luck to them.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    When wild star get released, no one cares. tis should been released 1 year ago, its looks outdated.
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    The only news that could get me interested in this game.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by skinnymb
    Finally back to the subs. Free to play was a nice idea but in the end you get nickel and dimed and end up spending more money for less quality of a game.

F2p is here to stay.. how else would those mediocre MMos stay alive?

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    When wild star get released, no one cares. tis should been released 1 year ago, its looks outdated.

I think a lot of people would've liked to have seen it out sooner, but it's better than most half-baked content that gets pushed and then users are expected to be struggle through what should've been solved in beta. And as far as out-dated, outdated compared to what?

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I have discovered the subscription model is not for me.

When the subscription is active I almost feel guilty for not playing that month. When it's not active I find myself not renewing unless I'm sure I will be playing for at least a few days.

Unlike Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2 (which I only played for a few weeks) but I can pop back in any time to rekindle my interest. Or find out I'm just done with the game at the moment. This is not possible with a subscription.

Originally posted by Precusor
    Originally posted by skinnymb

F2p is here to stay.. how else would those mediocre MMos stay alive?

I think people are missing the point when they make proclamations that one system is superior/dead/defunct/whatever  to the other. Each one has it's benefits in terms of funding a studio to create content.

In the end it's up to the Wildstar team to decide what model works best for their intended audience.  It seems that they're expecting people to see value in their entire body of work versus selling it off in smaller bit sized chunks.