Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some new pics of the new version

spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Ogaming has put some new screenies of the newest iteration of TR.

Not realy sure what to think of it myself.

Comments

• noobletnooblet Member Posts: 2,274

They look pritty damn nice. Much more smoother and realistic looking then the old ones.

• ConerValloreConerVallore Member Posts: 36

As I said in the news post, you should not that we still don’t know the date of the imgs. The renders to me looks a little odd because the clothing of the troops doesn’t seem to match the look for the new game. I believe they where made before the final look of armor was decided.

In the main screenshot you can see the pc characters look like they have more armor on. I hope the TR website is updated soon :)

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

Ugh...looks like a bunch of Star Trek characters to me...

It may seem like that based on the new imgs. However I think the imgs listed here are unfinished and without armor. Take a look at this concept of how some armors will look:

http://tr.ogaming.com/gallery/albums/album02/trweb_avatar_01.sized.jpg

Not bad...but I rather liked the anime style!

I also really liked the old look, but in some ways I do have to agree with the changes. The new look really captures the galactic war feeling they where going for and in the end the western sci-fi look could help sell the game.

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Ok when they mean "transformation" they really mean it. From eastern combat with martial arts & instruments for weapons to big guns & sci-fi....That worries me, either the combat system is really flexible or really shallow. Im hoping for flexible.

From the same link with screenshots:

"During E3 and beyond, we will be unveiling tons of news about Tabula Rasa that I think will surprise and thrill folks who have been
    following the development of this game.Regards,Tisirin"

Which should mean during the summer alot more info will be given.

My guess based on other NCSoft games is that it’s flexible. Then again they did have a full year to change it. E3 is only a few weeks away so we will have a lot of new info this month. I would personally suggest keeping an open mind until after E3 (its still way to early to tell how good this revision will be).

• RiddlerRiddler Member Posts: 5

i agree

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
  • PyreSpiritPyreSpirit Member Posts: 58

Heh, I was highly looking forward to this game in it's original incarnation...

Upon seeing the new webpage, my enthusiasm was instantly dampened...

I dont know how it's going to be now, as there is not enough information, but it has gone from a title I was highly anticipating to looking to be something I may try out, or may just pass entirely.

So far; quite disappointed. Hopefully that will change.

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

It looks like a complete overhaul rather than a "re-thinking"
    From the description it now sounds like Planetside.

"Tabula Rasa" means clean slate - does this game look like the product of originality?

• GoldenblackGoldenblack Member Posts: 38

My take:

I believe that the mystical aspects of the first incarnation will probably be unlocked the further that one delves into the hardcore starship troopers like second incarnation, the theme being that there is something special, amazing, and wondrous underneath the exterior of action-packed war, strategy, and horror. Sort of like an amazing reward for progressing a certain ways into the bloody war-torn story. This is my personal conjection from the snipets of interviews and posts, etc. that I've seen from the NCSoft team.

I think the concept is cool! :)

In the first incarnation, fighting consisted of stuff like swirling around a paintbrush and the swirlies became destructive attacks that hurt demon-like aliens. While I appreciate the attempt at adding a pioneering sort of meaningful depth to the different attack styles, you have to admit it would be cooler in a masculine, adrenaline-junkie sort of way to just take cover, lob grenades, send out team-mates to flank with rocket-launchers, etc.  And there are hints that eventually you stumble upon the advanced etheric powers of a super-advanced, benevolent civilization, and then you can start to add more magical, star-wars-Force-like attacks to your previously-physical-only arsenal.

Again, cool! As far as I'm concerned.

And since it's an RG game, you KNOW the story is going to have some serious, evocative, compelling depth. Unlike, well, 99.9% of all other video games since the Ultima series. I don't think that game players even realize or remember that a video game story -can- be surprisingly good any more. Especially in an MMORPG!! Hopefully this will be the game that reminds everyone just how potentially good such things can be.

-Golden

Yeah...my first thought on the new site is Starship Troopers meets PlanetSide...I REALLY hope they didn't loose all the mysticism entirely. That was one of the big selling points for me...it was a new setting that no one had looked at before. If what we're seeing is it, there is no originality at all...lets hope theirs more to it than meets the eye...

• PyreSpiritPyreSpirit Member Posts: 58

"I believe that the mystical aspects of the first incarnation will probably be unlocked the further that one delves into the hardcore starship troopers like second incarnation, the theme being that there is something special, amazing, and wondrous underneath the exterior of action-packed war, strategy, and horror. Sort of like an amazing reward for progressing a certain ways into the bloody war-torn story. This is my personal conjection from the snipets of interviews and posts, etc. that I've seen from the NCSoft team."

That is indeed what I am hoping, and will stop me from being highly disappointed, heheh.

The mysticism was the biggest draw for TR for me, also. Coupled with the radically original and unique-looking gameworld. I hope major elements of that remained in the transition...

If they did; I will likely enjoy the game. If they did not; I likely will not even purchase it.

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Well, so far I'm agreeing with everyone here in that the game seems to have totally changed direction, and not just visually.

If this game is truly going to be an online FPS now, then I might just have to pass altogether =(

What the heck happened?

At this time I don’t think it will be a FPS, just have the speed of a FPS (but we wont know till E3).

I for one am in love with the gfx and changes mainly because I'm a huge western sci-fi fan and most of all I love the almost StarShip Troopers look.

I’m holding any judgment until I get my hands on it this week at E3.

I'm looking forward to your review at Ogaming then ::::28::

And dont be afraid to be totaly/brutaly honest.

• Alec_FriseAlec_Frise Member Posts: 15

I think it looks better now.

• LidaleLidale Member Posts: 88

any enthusiasm about the game shot ot the window

Originally posted by Lidale

But wait! theres 5 new movies at the TR website. Watch those first and then let your enthusiasm fade ::::28::

I sympathise with your lack of enthusiasm. The first version of the game looked interesting and unique, this re-working doesnt do a thing for me. :::^|:::::^|:::::^|::

• OminisOminis Member Posts: 1,015

I'm not so sure about the game now. Not that I don't like the style or setting that it's now shooting for, its just that after watching the videos the combat doesn't look that great anymore. To me it looks like it's the same usual stand and click and ability system that has been used the last few years just with guns and aliens instead. It looked pretty static and lifeless to me.

And along with the disappearance of the alleged dynamic, interesting combat the whole mysticism angle seems to have disappeared. The whole chi magic or whatever it was sounded really interesting and different from the usual MMORPG settings. Its really too bad, some of the old ideas really interested me.

Currently:
    Playing: WOW & GW

• LidaleLidale Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by spookytooth

Originally posted by Lidale

But wait! theres 5 new movies at the TR website. Watch those first and then let your enthusiasm fade ::::28::

I sympathise with your lack of enthusiasm. The first version of the game looked interesting and unique, this re-working doesnt do a thing for me. :::^|:::::^|:::::^|::

It is not the same game anymore... the whole graphical style changed from pretty and fantasy like to ugly UT2004/Planetside rejects =(.  The game play changed from a fantasy based mission MMORPG to a gritty post appocolyptic future MMOFPS. It is just not the same game.. not even 1% of it is the old tabu;sa rasa I remember.  They alienated the fans which were looking foward to X game but indstead they made it into Y game.  Possibly if they jsut scrapped the name tabulsa rasa and started it as a new name I would not be as dissapointed.  Maybe it will make a good MMOFPS game... who really knows but I know for  sure that is *NOT* tabulsa rasa.. atleast how I remember it

Yeah...I no longer care about the game. I read an article on GameSpy saying it was similar to Auto Assault...and online action RPG. While I'm interested in AA, I wanted TR to be new and unique...now its just more of the same.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Blah... I was kind of interested in the old TR, but what I see now really doesn't interest me much. Oh, well.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.