Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game offers nothing.

Comments

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Lucrecia
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

What would get me to play the game:

At the very least a total rewrite of most of the quests. I would be as pleased as punch if they wrote directions or hints to directions in the quest dialog instead of giving you a quest tracker. Instead allowing you to 'draw' notes on the map based on what you might interpret from the directions given.

....effing hell that would have been cool.

*laughs*

Most games nowadays, not only have quest trackers ... but they have little arrows or sparkles on the ground leading you to the quest.  You say you want the best for this game, yet you make a suggestion to do away with quest trackers?  Do you really think your suggestion would have been better for this game?  Think about this for a second.  If you think there is crying about quest trackers now, this is a drop in the water compared to the tsunami you would have heard about if the quests had no quest trackers or visual indicators helping players get to their points of destination.

/walks away shaking in laughter

..>Well...what can I say...my dreams for a perfect MMORPG does not equal a viable game in the current community zeitgeist.  This is not an 'I stand corrected'...this is a 'I know what I was saying..I recognize the conflicts...however this would have still been my preference.'

Also...there is an obvious difference between wanting a game to succeed but having personal preferences that do not line up with the communities and a person who is glad the game will not make mainstream so that they can enjoy it themselves and feel somehow unique,special (read: Hipster).

I see your point.  It is not my intent to ridicule you.  Personally, I see depth in this game that will give it lasting appeal.  The most promising aspect of the game that I see giving its lasting appeal is it's devoted Dev Team.  I don't know how others feel about him, but as fas as I'm conceerned Yoshi P is the greatest developer on the planet, bar none.   I am confident that with his leadership, FFXIV will attain success.  Of this I am quite certain.

• alin1209alin1209 Member UncommonPosts: 61

I dont realy get it why people want every new game to fail.
    This game ofer nothing new in terms of inovating or reinventing the genere but what it ofer is realy
    good.It remindes me a lot of FF XII.
    I realy like the quest sistem,the story,the ability to make with one caracter all the clases-jobs-craft-gatering
    ...u name it.
    I mean wot uther game ofer u this?(runescape)and thats it.
    The craft is pure asome becouse it asck u to get involved in creating an item not just push one buton and craft.
    The fight may not bring somthing new but it brings the FF stile witch i like.

I dont realy care wot u all that dislike the game say about it.I played every game out there and
    after i tried OB i will play this game for at least a couple of months.
    And despite u call it a fail game it was invaded with people that played the game.

U dont like the game?Thats fine, move on!Nobody force u to play it...why so much drama about it!
    From wot i know about the SquareEnix is that even if the game"fail"they will bether close the game
    than go F2P.

I say enjoy your game your life and quit the drama!

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I think this is what the problem with every MMO that's come out since WoW (except a few).  The developers all want to make MMOs exciting, fast-paced, and rewarding.  Truth is, a real MMO is none of those things.  

MMOs are not always exciting, there are lulls in the action.  If you want to have excitement 24/7/365, MMOs aren't for you, just stop playing them.  There are times when you go up against something truly challenging and win that are exciting, but if you expect kill 10 rats to be exciting, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

MMOs are not fast-paced.  They're slow, grindy games that take years to master everything.  Recent games are all about, "Get to max level in 3-4 days, then go to endgame".  This isn't what an MMO is about.  MMOs are all about the journey of your character, not the endgame.  Progessing through things like crafting, leveling, and the overall game should be done slowly and enjoy the journey.  If you expect to level every 30 seconds, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

MMOs are not rewarding, in the sense that other genres are anyways.  If you want to have an "omg I can't believe that just happened" moment everyday, then you're not going to be happy.  MMOs are the quintissential delayed gratification of the gaming industry.  If you want everything fast and now, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

I've been saying this for years.  The problem with MMOs isn't the games or developers, it's the community as a whole.  You demanded games that were exciting all the time.  You demanded games that were fast-paced.  You demanded games that rewarded you for breathing, walking, and looking blankly in a corner of a pub.  Therefore we all got these games that were no longer MMOs, but a perverse amalgamation we have had over the last 7-8 years.

I'm glad that FFXIV does not follow this trend.  I'm glad that it instead goes with slower paced combat, slower paced leveling, and long drawn out cut scenes.  If you would actually stop to read the text and learn the story, it is actually quite engaging.  I'm glad that FFXIV doesn't reward you but just a small upgrade in gear everytime, which eventually turns into you being undergeared in later stages.  I'm glad that I don't have my heart racing all the time, but when a big boss comes up, it actually stands out, since I just got done with a long lull of excitement.

Thanks SE for redoing this game, and making it what it should've been in the first place.  Great job, and I love it.

This is what I want in an MMO.........this is what I expected in FFXIV.......

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by NetSage
    And, it's Final Fantasy everyone should guess that PvE is the focus since the series is mostly single player games.
    Tell that to TES:O.

I am not a FF fanboy. Never played the games. I have not been impressed with it. 80-95% of the quests (I am level 10) are kill X of Y monsters?

I wanted to try a few things out but could not until I was level 10 and finished my level 10 class quest. Since quests are not well labeled, I have no idea what that quest may be.

It is a pretty game and the no cash shop thing makes me want to support them. But... It just does not grab me and make itch to log on when I am not playing.

On a more positive note, there are MANY quests and always something to do. I never once found myself killing Mobs just to gain XP.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I think this is what the problem with every MMO that's come out since WoW (except a few).  The developers all want to make MMOs exciting, fast-paced, and rewarding.  Truth is, a real MMO is none of those things.  

MMOs are not always exciting, there are lulls in the action.  If you want to have excitement 24/7/365, MMOs aren't for you, just stop playing them.  There are times when you go up against something truly challenging and win that are exciting, but if you expect kill 10 rats to be exciting, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

MMOs are not fast-paced.  They're slow, grindy games that take years to master everything.  Recent games are all about, "Get to max level in 3-4 days, then go to endgame".  This isn't what an MMO is about.  MMOs are all about the journey of your character, not the endgame.  Progessing through things like crafting, leveling, and the overall game should be done slowly and enjoy the journey.  If you expect to level every 30 seconds, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

MMOs are not rewarding, in the sense that other genres are anyways.  If you want to have an "omg I can't believe that just happened" moment everyday, then you're not going to be happy.  MMOs are the quintissential delayed gratification of the gaming industry.  If you want everything fast and now, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

I've been saying this for years.  The problem with MMOs isn't the games or developers, it's the community as a whole.  You demanded games that were exciting all the time.  You demanded games that were fast-paced.  You demanded games that rewarded you for breathing, walking, and looking blankly in a corner of a pub.  Therefore we all got these games that were no longer MMOs, but a perverse amalgamation we have had over the last 7-8 years.

I'm glad that FFXIV does not follow this trend.  I'm glad that it instead goes with slower paced combat, slower paced leveling, and long drawn out cut scenes.  If you would actually stop to read the text and learn the story, it is actually quite engaging.  I'm glad that FFXIV doesn't reward you but just a small upgrade in gear everytime, which eventually turns into you being undergeared in later stages.  I'm glad that I don't have my heart racing all the time, but when a big boss comes up, it actually stands out, since I just got done with a long lull of excitement.

Thanks SE for redoing this game, and making it what it should've been in the first place.  Great job, and I love it.

+1

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Originally posted by faxnadu

ayep. agree with OP and all those who are somehow defending the title are just blind fans of series.

there is nothing in this game that actually could carry you investing and drowning countless of hours in it.

And everyone agreeing with the op is a worthless troll...............

Honestly it is called people like different things. To me SWToR, Tera, GW2 were all garbage games.. .honestly I paid for each of them, but I did not stay in them long they just sucked. GW2 was written off as trash by me after week 2 of trying it, honestly it was the worst mmo I ever tried, worse then ffxiv 1.0 at launch... so there for everyone who likes gw2 is a worthless fan boy I guess...

Rift was ok but it just got more and more shallow as you went on. F2P also took that game down several notches, it is sad to see more and more mmos support rmt.

XIV atm is probably the best mmo released since XI and Original WoW. If you disagree so be it go play a mainstream action mmo, you will not be missed .

To all the this game will fail people. The game is at cap capacity on all servers, the devs are constantly adding servers because people are not logging out and the new servers are getting to capacity in less then 24hrs. The people disliking the game are in the vast minority, like it or not. I have seen very few ppl online saying they dislike it.

To those complaining about Cut scenes and story... why the hell would you play a final fantasy... it would be like complaining about people shooting each other in call of duty.

If you do not like the game simply get the hell out and play something else... and accept you will not like all style games, if you like it join the ever growing club.

• VallkyraVallkyra Member UncommonPosts: 61

I'll agree, MMOs haven't evolved much, but some of the gamers are impatient.  The some of new generation are "ADHD gamers" that need instant action and aren't impressed by slow player progression that they could compare growth from then and now.  Why take 5 levels using fireball to learn firestorm? They want it ASAP.  Some don't even want communities where being a jerk gets you blacklisted and grouping and future guilds opportunities become null, some prefer instanced content with random people you'll never see again with loot they only get.

For any new MMO to be a mass hit in this current market it would need to be HIGHLY entertaining to everyone and facilitate their neds from start to finish.  Seems quite the hard task.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I think some folks just may be beyond help. They are always chasing a game that does not exist. They hope every new mmo will match the one in their mind's eye and of course it never will. So whats left than to express their heartfelt disappointment and blame the game, not their own impossible standards. Play a game for what it is, not what you wish it was. Its ok to not like a game and move on. But don't pretend you're doing anyone any favors by trying to convince them you are right. Its just your preference, unrealistic, but yours nonetheless and yours alone.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Vallkyra

I'll agree, MMOs haven't evolved much, but some of the gamers are impatient.  The some of new generation are "ADHD gamers" that need instant action and aren't impressed by slow player progression that they could compare growth from then and now.  Why take 5 levels using fireball to learn firestorm? They want it ASAP.  Some don't even want communities where being a jerk gets you blacklisted and grouping and future guilds opportunities become null, some prefer instanced content with random people you'll never see again with loot they only get.

For any new MMO to be a mass hit in this current market it would need to be HIGHLY entertaining to everyone and facilitate their neds from start to finish.  Seems quite the hard task.

Most of the people in this genre should never have come into it. but they came in numbers and the investers started catering to them to keep them. Killed a genre to do it and still didn't work. I actually can't wait for SoE to lead them all back out. Maybe then we can rebuild genre back to what it was.

If that makes me a hipster....fukkit. I'm a hipster then.

Umm, the poster is ... describing ... FFXIV?

/scratches head

• VallkyraVallkyra Member UncommonPosts: 61

/scratches head

Actually he described content past the first 30 levels :P

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

I finally got to try the game during the beta, and I was quite pleased.  It had the art and spells and content and conceits of Final Fantasy, had enough depth to keep me entertained, and enough lore to hint at further lore goodness.

I could not possible care less if the GCD is 2.5 seconds.  My perusal of videos had made this look like something I'd be interested in -- enough so that I preordered it before ever playing -- and they didn't let me down.  I don't think the game will be very fun to those suffering from ADD, or the people who stand outside Orgrimmar dueling all day, but neither do I think it was intended to be fun for them.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I think some folks just may be beyond help. They are always chasing a game that does not exist. They hope every new mmo will match the one in their mind's eye and of course it never will. So whats left than to express their heartfelt disappointment and blame the game, not their own impossible standards. Play a game for what it is, not what you wish it was. Its ok to not like a game and move on. But don't pretend you're doing anyone any favors by trying to convince them you are right. Its just your preference, unrealistic, but yours nonetheless and yours alone.

I'm speaking for me only but I want them to go back to the roots of MMO's. UO, SWG, EQ, AC, etc.... I don't like what we have today and that is my opinion.  I'm not expecting something new and innovating. I'm expecting something old with new tech. To each their own. 

Originally posted by Vallkyra

/scratches head

Actually he described content past the first 30 levels :P

Oh I see ..

Its not FFXIV ... it's the game after FFXIV ... past ... level 30 ... ish ?

/walks away squinting and scratching his head really hard

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4

I'm speaking for me only but I want them to go back to the roots of MMO's. UO, SWG, EQ, AC, etc.... I don't like what we have today and that is my opinion.  I'm not expecting something new and innovating. I'm expecting something old with new tech. To each their own. 

And to me that is exactly what this game is.

Well, this is about as close to old with new tech as we're going to get any time soon, my friend.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang I think some folks just may be beyond help. They are always chasing a game that does not exist. They hope every new mmo will match the one in their mind's eye and of course it never will. So whats left than to express their heartfelt disappointment and blame the game, not their own impossible standards. Play a game for what it is, not what you wish it was. Its ok to not like a game and move on. But don't pretend you're doing anyone any favors by trying to convince them you are right. Its just your preference, unrealistic, but yours nonetheless and yours alone.

Its there you just gotta look for it in the new stuff. I dunno. Maybe I'm a bad reference for this type of thing. I play the stuff I like in an mmo and ignore the stuff I dont. If it reaches a point where I can no longer enjoy the things I like, I move on.
    Originally posted by striderbob

Minus the mind numbing easy leveling content and yes I agree. The crafting could be worthless too except for end game though I don't know. We shall see. They can adjust the crafting the easy leveling is not going to change.  That kills the game for me. 

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    i keep seeing the same words Innovating and new . And it reminds me of this video . SE did this game just right and it will be very successful . SO watch the video and then reflect on ARR yeah connection is made . Yo want innovating play GW2 or TERA there so INNOVATING .

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• czombieczombie Member Posts: 82

Three of those four games you listed still exist and are ready for you to go back to them.  I never understand the old nostalgic "hardcore" MMO players complaining about the state of the genre today when they have all basically turned their back on the games that they claim to love.  When you ask them about it, they always say, "Oh, such and such expansion ruined it" or something like that which shows game developers how fickle this audience is and how anything they make will never make these people happy.  Hence, developers stop developing for this group of gamers.  You people shoot yourself in your feet with your constant criticism and whining, and as long as you continue doing it, the game development community will continue to see you as niche crackpots and an audience that can never be successfully marketed to.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Torcip Originally posted by Vannor You know what.. those that like it are right.. it is a beta and they could pull something amazing out of their hat in time for release, however unlikely that seems. But lets be honest here.. there have been much better betas. I'm on the side that says why play this over something like Rift that is free and has TONS more content and features. It's a solid game.. there's just games out there that are just as solid and are more established already.
    Because people have already played those games and/or do not like those games. I for one have had no issues at all with this beta, which is more than I can say about any beta I have ever played in, even if a small percentage of players are affected by then it's a good day.  Even if the bug sucks and I feel bad that they can't play. And there's nothing amazing to pull out of they're hat, there's one maybe two errors to be fixed and will most likely be fixed come early access, everything else about the game works as intended.
    You do the same thing in FFXIV, that's my point. The gameplay is no different to other MMOS with more to offer. The only reason I can see for someone to choose this over other MMOs is if they are really into the FF theme.. everything else can be found elsewhere with more content and features... and without a sub if needed. Aion, TERA and Rift all have decent ftp models... I personally think any one of those is a better option. Aion and TERA if you like your MMOs jRPG style..

Aion is decent.

Tera is so bland with the worst combat ever and the story is soooooo boring.

Rift will die in no time seeing as how Trion is shutting down Studios and Defiance is dying hard.

So asides from Aion, the other 2 games suck bad.

BTW Trion Worlds has yet to fix Defiance. It is as if they gave up on their games all together. Source: EU branch

and

US Redwood Branch

So yeah. We do not want to play games that will not last the end of the year.

They are losing players left and right and having to shut down multiple branches across the world. So no, Rift is definitly out.

Tera is "Approaching 2 million players" Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/e3-2013-tera-approaches-two-million-players-welcomes-pirates/

It took 2 years to get 2 Million Players when Neverwinter(came out a few months ago) has 2 million + people playing.
    Source: Neverwinter

So in summation, please stop refering us to crappy games.
    These forums are for Final Fantasy XIV Discussion.
    Not Final Fantasy XIV Troll forums.

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174

Minus the mind numbing easy leveling content and yes I agree. The crafting could be worthless too except for end game though I don't know. We shall see. They can adjust the crafting the easy leveling is not going to change.  That kills the game for me. 

And the leveling could be different later on as well, yes? In phase 3 after 30 the leveling definitely slowed down.

The older games did what exactly to make it "harder".  Of the games you listed I remember grinding forever on mobs. That isn't harder that's just more  time consuming and equally mind numbing.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Hate FF as much as you want .  I can tell you this ,  The game is either packed with bots or players because its hard to kill mobs due to the crowds of players.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

Well the weekend is over and I spent it playing FFXIV with a few folks I actually met on the MMORPG.com forums.

I have never played any Final Fantasy game until Friday but I am surprised at the complaining.  FFXIV:ARR is a re-released of the original from a couple years ago, it isn't trying to break the mold and I found it alot of fun. 

Why I like it and will gladly pay the subscription :

1)  It has a nice old school feel,.

2)  It looks great and runs well on average systems

3)  It has a real class system,  people have different roles not like GW2 where the game seems based on zerging everything while everyone Pew Pew'ing...

4)  Traditional MMO combat,   skill combos, etc...  Not some quasi twitch FPS MMO .

5)  Interesting Jobs/ Mulitclasses

6)  Housing

7)  It actually charges you money to play !!!!   No more F2P leaches and devs wasting time on cash shop crap.  

Final Fantasy XIV:ARR is a solid well polished TRADITIONAL MMO.   If you were looking for genre breaking innovation then you will be disappointed,  if you don't have $10 a month to pay for the game then get a job and stop leaching off of others,  if you can't spend a few seconds to read quest text then go watch TV.

If FFXIV isn't your thing, that's ok... there are a gazillion other MMOs for you to play, now move along.....

And the leveling could be different later on as well, yes? In phase 3 after 30 the leveling definitely slowed down.

The older games did what exactly to make it "harder".  Of the games you listed I remember grinding forever on mobs. That isn't harder that's just more  time consuming and equally mind numbing.

I hope your right I really do. I'm in the wait and see mode. Will check out the forums after launch and see what people are saying.