Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamers are destroying the industry.

rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111

The article is correct. Gamers are the problem. Not the developers.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/gamers-killing-game-industry-195959860.html

Comments

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

This thread title made me LoL, yes this is definitely the attitude of some "devs" in general, it's the gamers fault that our games suck! Ha!

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by rnor6084

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/gamers-killing-game-industry-195959860.html

One way to not attract such gamers would be to:

(a)  Create an RP intensive mmoRPG, reminding folks what RPG really means (and no, it's not poorly spoken Shakespeare but just staying in character...discussing the world only from the perspective of the race and class you play).  The imagination required from this alone, would send pwn face leet players scurrying back to their caves of battleground mediocrity and ladder rankings.

(b)  Make the pvp and pve in such a way as to benefit ONLY groups of players who function as a team. 

1.  Bonus xp to group for every group member added.  Players must be in range of the group focus target, and doing damage.  Healers get rewarded every time they ressurrect someone.  This will create solid pvp teams and get players to work together or fail alone (and thusly leave the game like the leet pwn facers aove)

2.  Create separate realms where players can't hop back and forth between the guilds of those realms without being a member of that particular culture.  No dual realm races on the server, you make a toon, you stick with it.  (This will send another chunk of leet pwn facers away).  Hence, realm loyalty is instilled, and when things get tough for a player, instead of logging into the other side or swapping to a grass is greener realm, they have to suck it up and work harder with their team.

That right there would force a good % of players to go game somewhere else.  There's plenty of cash shop instanced BGs for these folks - they could go find one that suits them that particular day.  The rest of us would have a real mmoRPG for once.

Dare I dream?

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    This really isn't worth a debate.  Some players are immature.  Some developers scam players.  Some companies are horrible money over quality pushers.   Nothing new.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

If you want to develop games that people care about, you have to accept that, no matter what you do, you're going to get some wildly unfair and completely over the top criticism.  (And also some more reasoned criticism, but that's easier to handle.)

Still, death threats are way over the top, and those who make them ought to face consequences for it.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by saker

This thread title made me LoL, yes this is definitely the attitude of some "devs" in general, it's the gamers fault that our games suck! Ha!

We vote with our wallets, so essentially we are part of the reason that games suck !

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

LMAO!

this is the most absurd statement ever.

it's like saying grocery shoppers are destroying the food industry, or drivers are destroying the car industry. total BS.

the truth is the more and more developers are becoming increasingly greedy and want to make games only for profit. this means going for cheap garbage in volume instead of trying to produce quality with a high risk of missing the general's interest. the Wall mart approach is much more business savoy.

a perfect example is Minecraft. an incredible success for a game that is horrendously simple by today's standards, and yet truly inspired by a gamer mind, not a business mind thinking of costs vs market shares. the idea behind the game was to creat something completely new and exciting. not cashing in on the latest trend.

the so called "insatiable locusts" of today's gaming world have been carefully created on purpose by gaming executives just so there will always be a hungry horde waiting to consume whatever cheap re-cycled garbage they feel like dishing that particular week. if people were happy with their 1 game for years on end, who the hell would make money anymore? 

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by stayBlind

We vote with our wallets, so essentially we are part of the reason that games suck !

"we" ? you're grouping up different groups who do different things and have different interests, sir.

WE also grow crops for a living.

well, some people do. so do we all ?

Yes, we all impact a game with our wallet. If you do not buy the game, you have impacted the game by not giving them your money. If you do buy the game, you have impacted the game by giving them your money.

No matter what, WE impact every game that ever comes out.

Unfortunately, I think people are like electricity: they will take the path of least resistance (and they will pay A LOT for the option to take that path). 

Why finish a Sudoku puzzle when you can just pay for the answer key? No one will ever know whether you paid for the key or completed it yourself ...

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

People acting a certain way (death threats) is not what destroyed any industry... That is an entirely different problem and point blank comes down to society not holding people responsible for their actions and taking appropriate steps to make them take responsibility for what they have done.

A lot of what destroyed MMO's was people being hired that should have made a Mario Brothers sequel and never had the chance to ruin MMO's...  because I know I find playing a platform jumper to be very entertaining when I wanted an RPG...

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I think the PRIMARY reason some games are failing is the product they are producing.

Can and are there additional reasons ...sure

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

ROLE PLAYING GAME

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/role-playing+game

So you se its you playing a character role with in a fantastical world not you playing a certain role of tank or healer but you play just one person within the world you create the characters role. If you choose to be a warrior your a warrior not just a tank.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

Originally posted by Antarious

People acting a certain way (death threats) is not what destroyed any industry... That is an entirely different problem and point blank comes down to society not holding people responsible for their actions and taking appropriate steps to make them take responsibility for what they have done.

A lot of what destroyed MMO's was people being hired that should have made a Mario Brothers sequel and never had the chance to ruin MMO's...  because I know I find playing a platform jumper to be very entertaining when I wanted an RPG...

I feel you.

Hey, let us make a game that will be the spiritual successor to Magic: the Gathering. Players will not be able to build decks anymore, so they will have to use pre-built starter decks (balancing decks for us is too much work). Actually, how about we just reduce the deck size to five and give the players a passive sheet so they do not have to actively play cards to change the rules (they manipulate the rules through the checkboxes on their passive sheets).

That is what players want with a spiritual successor to Magic: the Gathering, right? A cardless, non deck building, non interactive game. Sounds great!

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    But our money is keeping it alive ;)
  • Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by rnor6084

The article is titled "gamers kill industry", yet it talks about three people receiving death threats from gamers. Talk about exaggeration. I was expecting something more convincing and on topic. Damn those drama queens making articles.

And what can anyone mean by 'destroying industry', in what way? The industry is doing better than ever, more income than was imaginable few years ago. Or are those people by destroying industry mean, making games that THEY don't like?

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217

No, greed and profit is what is killing some parts of this industry.

Also, the gaming industry is in its infancy.

Each year we hear its the end of this and this is the death of such and such.

You know, like pc gaming has been dieing for years.

These articles are nothing but spin to put the blame on the consumer instead of the product.

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223

Are gamers destroying the gaming industry?  That depends on how wide you're capable of seeing things.    Take MMORPG's since WoW , without a doubt 90 out of a 100 released MMORPG look a lot like WoW and to each other.  The problem is that people keep believing that the next WoW-a-like release will be the next big thing when in fact it is only a scam, a duplicate of past releases. Yet, time and time again people get drawn into buying a title and then flames on forums that the game sucks and brings nothing new.  Helloooooo, mind checking out game play previews on YouTube of a new release before even thinking of buying the new title in the first place?  Most people that praise a new release MMORPG are fanbois with nothing better to do. Before buying the next "Big shot MMORPG" do your homework on the title and determine for yourself if the game is worth playing or not. If you need guidance of other people to decide, then you really need help and do no belong in the gaming universe in the first place.

As long as people keep buying duplicate releases of past failures and feeding money to crappy Devs, we will keep getting non stop releases of such garbage MMORPG's.   So in the end, most of you are just playing right into the hands of the Devs.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Gamers are the community.

The gamers who threaten are special cases, they're not the norm.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

To all *geniuses* blaming gamers for industry problems:  There wouldn't be an industry without gamers.  You can't blame your customers for the shortcomings of your products.

There has always been jerks out there, and if you take their negative comments to heart, you need to grow up.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by LeGrosGamer

Are gamers destroying the gaming industry?  That depends on how wide you're capable of seeing things.    Take MMORPG's since WoW , without a doubt 90 out of a 100 released MMORPG look a lot like WoW and to each other.  The problem is that people keep believing that the next WoW-a-like release will be the next big thing when in fact it is only a scam, a duplicate of past releases. Yet, time and time again people get drawn into buying a title and then flames on forums that the game sucks and brings nothing new.  Helloooooo, mind checking out game play previews on YouTube of a new release before even thinking of buying the new title in the first place?  Most people that praise a new release MMORPG are fanbois with nothing better to do. Before buying the next "Big shot MMORPG" do your homework on the title and determine for yourself if the game is worth playing or not. If you need guidance of other people to decide, then you really need help and do no belong in the gaming universe in the first place.

As long as people keep buying duplicate releases of past failures and feeding money to crappy Devs, we will keep getting non stop releases of such garbage MMORPG's.   So in the end, most of you are just playing right into the hands of the Devs.

Yes, I do not doubt there are developers out there that do this purposefully. However, if you look at the numbers of the situation, consumer give their money to theses releases, so obviously these releases are what the consumers want. I can see where a developer could make that mistake.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

To all *IDIOTS* blaming gamers for industry problems:  There wouldn't be an industry without gamers.  You can't blame your customers for the shortcomings of your products.

There has always been jerks out there, and if you take their negative comments to heart, you need to grow up.

Yes, but you can blame the customers for funding products that have shortcomings. I think that both parties are partly to blame. If you can not have an industry without gamers, then is it not logical to assume that the current state of the industry exists in part BECAUSE of the gamers?

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217
     I can see where a developer could make that mistake.

Damn those metrics! *tongue in cheek*

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by Quizzical

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

If you want to develop games that people care about, you have to accept that, no matter what you do, you're going to get some wildly unfair and completely over the top criticism.  (And also some more reasoned criticism, but that's easier to handle.)

Still, death threats are way over the top, and those who make them ought to face consequences for it.

Death treats are one of the areas where 'Free Speech' doesn't apply.  If a threat is reported, the authorities will investigate and, if necessary, instigate appropriate legal actions against the perpetrator.  So, there are real-world consequences in place.

Sadly, these types of transgressions tend to be unreported, and the authorities tend to be overworked.   So, a 10 year old is not held accountable for their bad behavior, there's no correction and no chance to learn.  Eventually, society finds itself with another uncivil citizen.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

So as I read the article the Industry is being destroyed because of anonymous posts on the internet by idiots and  the childish,thin skinned developers who getting their feelings hurt reading them.

Well if the industry is that fragile maybe it deserves to be destroyed...

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

So I guess you haven't bought any mmo in the last few years as an act of fight against that quality decrease? Or are you a part of the problem you are already aware of?

Originally posted by Pandamin

No, greed and profit is what is killing some parts of this industry.

As a game developer, I would like to see you in my place with that money, and see how good samaritan would you be.

Even if I earned 100k$ a month I'd rather give it to my family or charity than to sacrifice it for a bunch of unthankful pricks that gamers are.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

To all *IDIOTS* blaming gamers for industry problems:  There wouldn't be an industry without gamers.  You can't blame your customers for the shortcomings of your products.

Yes, but you can blame the customers for funding products that have shortcomings. I think that both parties are partly to blame. If you can not have an industry without gamers, then is it not logical to assume that the current state of the industry exists in part BECAUSE of the gamers?

No.  I do not agree with this at all.  From a business standpoint, it's a suicidal position to take as well.  First off, there's a difference between a few vocal jerks out there spewing bile all over the internet, and customers who are not satisfied with boring/lackluster games.  The jerks don't matter when the games are otherwise living up to others expectations.  Selling your game isn't a problem if it's a game people enjoy playing.  

The thing about morons throwing threats around, is that this has become the culture of the internet in general.  You can go to any unmoderated or under-moderated site on the net and see the exact same behavior.  This comes from perceived anonymity, where people feel free to act like internet bullies with no concern about recourse.  Unfortunately, this is a dark aspect of human nature.  I used to think that the only thing that could curb this would be making people use their real names, but over the last couple years on Facebook, I've seen people using their real names and saying the exact kind of crap I see where user names are used.  

My take on what is wrong with the gaming industry is that games are not evolving at the pace they need to in order to keep up with the evolution of consumers.  Now that may not be the fault of all of the game developers out there, but some of them have been spending the last several years spitting out the same games over and over again, and wondering why people are bored and/or angry about it.

The industry is ripe for some new excitement, and I believe devices like the Oculus Rift are exactly what it needs.  This whining about consumer comments is an excuse, in my opinion.  Anyone who has to interface with the public knows that jerks are always there, and they always will be.  If you take their comments to heart, you are only empowering them.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.