Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do not install ARC on your pc !!!

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Not yet, it'd be strange if steam would allow a competitor to step between them and their users :) or with the dev's words from the forum:

"The current scope of development does not involve any changes to Steam. As with any software in development, plans are of course subject to change, though for now the goal is for it to remain possible to launch STO directly from Steam."

Imo that for now and subject to change means either they'll find a way somehow to bypass steam, or they simply remove the games from steam and directing everybody under Arc.

Edit: StarSword was faster :)

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Po_gg

There's no thread on it in the news section so I put it here,

yesterday PWE spammed the news page of every game with a letter in which they try to calm and pacify the concerns about Arc (http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1017551 at STO but it's the same on the other pages as well)

Beside the usual PR bullsht there's a few statement worth to notice, first of all that Arc will be the exclusive method of downloading, patching, and launching all Perfect World games (which means the end of my days in Starfleet, so I've just red the rest for the lolz),

the Arc will not gather or share personal information without consent part (as in it will do it, but you can opt out some parts :) ),

Our goal is to create a non-disruptive gaming experience - says the dev of games which have system-wide announcements of every lockbox winners :)

Arc only installs the games you want to play - awesome, I do the same without any help but I'm sure there are masses who are installing games by the dozens (and then never playing them), they will be happy for such a great feature :)

Also great lines later in the forum, like "I totally agree that the current launcher is an amazing piece of technology." really? Then why are you so eager to replace it with that crapware?

It's possible they(and others) could argue that you give your consent when you click accept.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Have you ever considered that Valve/Steam shares whatever data they collect with PWE? PWE gets the benefit of an increased audience by having their game on Steam. They would need to see better money by removing it. I doubt that will happen. Steam sees increased revenue by the Zen sales. It's entirely possible they have a relationship where they share certain data. Everyone has just assumed Steam isn't collecting data themselves, or that PWE is selling it instead of using it for metrics and marketing for themselves.

That's the present, with PWE is just one of the many publishers in partnership with steam. The situation will be different when they'll try to force their own steam-clone onto everyone. Just check EA and their relation to steam after they started to push origin...

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Not yet, it'd be strange if steam would allow a competitor to step between them and their users :) or with the dev's words from the forum:

"The current scope of development does not involve any changes to Steam. As with any software in development, plans are of course subject to change, though for now the goal is for it to remain possible to launch STO directly from Steam."

Imo that for now and subject to change means either they'll find a way somehow to bypass steam, or they simply remove the games from steam and directing everybody under Arc.

Edit: StarSword was faster :)

Have you ever considered that Valve/Steam shares whatever data they collect with PWE? PWE gets the benefit of an increased audience by having their game on Steam. They would need to see better money by removing it. I doubt that will happen. Steam sees increased revenue by the Zen sales. It's entirely possible they have a relationship where they share certain data. Everyone has just assumed Steam isn't collecting data themselves, or that PWE is selling it instead of using it for metrics and marketing for themselves.

Could also be possible that companies like pwe have to pay for the info that valve collects in some way, which could be one reason for arc(and that they could, in turn, sell that data as you said).

edit:they also use very ambiguous terms for what they collect and they also seem to get hacked quite regularly so you end up with no control over what info they have and who ends up with it.

Anyway, until this Arc-sh.t hits the fan I think I'll need to shorten the shore leave of my klingon (left him on Risa after the event), because it's Worf-time :)

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-worf-returns-to-trek-we-talk-to-michael-dorn

• HosaninHosanin Member Posts: 3

Been using ARC since it went live, never had a single problem. No extra processes, no browser plug-ins, nothing OP listed. I use Google Chrome for a browser BTW. Installed ARC on tree separate computers to see if OS and browser made a difference, here's the results:

Win XP(Home/Pro): No extra processes

Chrome- empty

IE- empty

Opera- empty

Mozilla-  empty

Win7 (home/pro/ult): No extra processes

Chrome- empty

IE- empty

Opera- empty

Mozilla-  empty

Win8: No extra Processes

Chrome- empty

IE- empty

Opera- empty

Mozilla-  empty

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

Do you know anything about computers or programs in general?  

Arc doesn't install any bloatware, doesn't spy on you and doesn't run any hidden processes.  

Yes, Arc does install a plugin named ArcPlugin to your internet browser.  Why would it do something like that?  

Oh yeah, that's because most Perfect World games have a Play Now button on the website that allows you to launch the game from your browser.  It's simply a plugin that allows you to launch Arc from your browser and nothing more.

Seriously, no reason to put on tin foil hats and go crazy.  It's an innocent game launcher with your best interest at heart.  PWE wants you to install their launcher because it makes you more likely to try their other games.  Don't worry, your CP collection and torrents are safe.

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by WarWitch

As many know, all PWI games are making it mandatory to install ARC to download and play any pwi game. Read the over 60 page discussion about it on the sto forms and you will find out. ARC installs into your brouser and spys on you from the browser even if no pwi game is being played. This is not anti hack code but spy wear pure and simple. It adds several processes to you pc full time as well. Stay far away from any gaming compony that's stealing your info and reselling it. This has to be illegal. Theirs a lot of talk in the pwi community about a boycott to get pwi to remove ARC completely. Fleets in STo that have survived the pwi buyout and years of gaming are all ready planning to move to other games.

This is as bad as SWG when the 100 thousand patiton  was sent in asking sony to not nge and sony did it anyway.

Sorry my English not so good .

lol Illegal? Not a chance, you agreed to the program and its functions. If you don't want to have that program spying on you don't install it, It's that simple.

It has been proven time and time again both in UK and US courts that EULAs do not allow companies to navigate around illegal practices simply because they were agreed to.

This is illegal, and they can be sued if someone whom has enough money wants to prove a point. It has been done before, and will most likely be done again. PWI are running a thin line that will eventually run them up a creek.

As for STO, I just googled for the F2P installer and found it on fileplanet. It's about a year out of date but installed and updated in about 15minutes on my 50meg connectoin :P. Should be no longer than an hour or two for some of you with DSL connections :)!

Originally posted by Ujirik

Do you know anything about computers or programs in general?  

Arc doesn't install any bloatware, doesn't spy on you and doesn't run any hidden processes.  

Yes, Arc does install a plugin named ArcPlugin to your internet browser.  Why would it do something like that?  

Oh yeah, that's because most Perfect World games have a Play Now button on the website that allows you to launch the game from your browser.  It's simply a plugin that allows you to launch Arc from your browser and nothing more.

Seriously, no reason to put on tin foil hats and go crazy.  It's an innocent game launcher with your best interest at heart.  PWE wants you to install their launcher because it makes you more likely to try their other games.  Don't worry, your CP collection and torrents are safe.

You're suggesting that unlike steam, origin etc. arc is just a game launcher.  At least at the moment? But just because it does one thing doesn't mean it can't(or won't) do others in the background.  Personally I'll wait until I get to read the terms and pp before I decide(and as long as I don't have to have the plugin).

And your cp's aren't exactly save as they're being transfered to zen at a rate of 80 zen per 100 cp's.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Karahandras
    Originally posted by gigat

Just curious, but how do you know they are taking your information and selling it?  I have ARC installed right now for STO, but it's not running and I don't see any extra processes in Task Manager (unless it's running under one of the "svchost.exe" processes).  I see the ArcPlugin in Firefox, but it's disabled now.

At first it seems odd that they would automatically install the ArcPlugin in your browser, but I'm guessing it serves a similar purpose as Origin's browser functionality for launching Battlefield 3.

So back to my question, how do you know they are selling your information?  How do you know they are gathering information?  Isn't it possible that the ArcPlugin simply ties your browser to the desktop application, allowing you to launch the game from the game's official website?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just looking for evidence.  I'd like to get the facts straight before I join the mob and raise a fuss!  If there is evidence to prove they are gathering my info and selling it, then I will gladly uninstall and boycott ARC!

Should be in the terms and conitions and the privacy policy.  Not always very legible though and you may need to hunt for the right t&c/pp.

Also if it stores the info like steam etc. and then transfers during updates and so on there should be a folder or two somewhere on your hd.  But i hear arc streams the info so not sure on this.

Can you please provide a link or an excerpt which backs your claim?  You (and others) are making the claim, therefore the burden of proof is on you, not me.

Since you are making such a bold claim, I assume you have actually read the terms and conditions, so it shouldn't be any trouble for you to point out the evidence, correct?

Just curious, but how do you know they are taking your information and selling it?  I have ARC installed right now for STO, but it's not running and I don't see any extra processes in Task Manager (unless it's running under one of the "svchost.exe" processes).  I see the ArcPlugin in Firefox, but it's disabled now.

At first it seems odd that they would automatically install the ArcPlugin in your browser, but I'm guessing it serves a similar purpose as Origin's browser functionality for launching Battlefield 3.

So back to my question, how do you know they are selling your information?  How do you know they are gathering information?  Isn't it possible that the ArcPlugin simply ties your browser to the desktop application, allowing you to launch the game from the game's official website?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just looking for evidence.  I'd like to get the facts straight before I join the mob and raise a fuss!  If there is evidence to prove they are gathering my info and selling it, then I will gladly uninstall and boycott ARC!

Should be in the terms and conitions and the privacy policy.  Not always very legible though and you may need to hunt for the right t&c/pp.

Also if it stores the info like steam etc. and then transfers during updates and so on there should be a folder or two somewhere on your hd.  But i hear arc streams the info so not sure on this.

Can you please provide a link or an excerpt which backs your claim?  You (and others) are making the claim, therefore the burden of proof is on you, not me.

Since you are making such a bold claim, I assume you have actually read the terms and conditions, so it shouldn't be any trouble for you to point out the evidence, correct?

What claim?  I haven't made any with regards to arc.

And btw you're the one that's using it and should have read the terms and privacy's before you accpeted and be informing us what you read.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

And btw you're the one that's using it and should have read the terms and privacy's before you accpeted and be informing us what you read.

Someone has claimed that PWI is gathering information and selling it using ARC.  The person making the claim must have evidence, otherwise they are just spewing nonsense.  If they can't provide evidence, then anything they say should be treated with scrutiny.  Simple as that.

To be honest, I don't like Perfect World or Cryptic.  I have no interest in defending them, but I do have an interest in getting the facts straight before I raise pitchforks.  If there is evidence of any wrong-doing, then someone should have posted that evidence all over the Internet in order to bring justice to this company.  Since this hasn't happened, I can only assume that the OP is full of shit.  Wouldn't you agree?

edit - Also sorry about the way I replied.  I just found it absurd that I asked for evidence, and the only reply was a suggestion to read the terms and conditions.  You could be absolutely correct that the evidence is in there.  I'm just surprised no one (particularly the accuser) has pointed the exact statement which confirms the accusation. You know what I mean?

For all I know, the accusation might be entirely true, but the OP might also be blowing it out of proportion.  This tends to happen a lot on the Internet!

Someone has claimed that PWI is gathering information and selling it using ARC.  The person making the claim must have evidence, otherwise they are just spewing nonsense.  If they can't provide evidence, then anything they say should be treated with scrutiny.  Simple as that.

To be honest, I don't like Perfect World or Cryptic.  I have no interest in defending them, but I do have an interest in getting the facts straight before I raise pitchforks.  If there is evidence of any wrong-doing, then someone should have posted that evidence all over the Internet in order to bring justice to this company.  Since this hasn't happened, I can only assume that the OP is full of shit.  Wouldn't you agree?

edit - Also sorry about the way I replied.  I just found it absurd that I asked for evidence, and the only reply was a suggestion to read the terms and conditions.  You could be absolutely correct that the evidence is in there.  I'm just surprised no one (particularly the accuser) has pointed the exact statement which confirms the accusation. You know what I mean?

For all I know, the accusation might be entirely true, but the OP might also be blowing it out of proportion.  This tends to happen a lot on the Internet!

NP(done it myself now and again).  I too was hoping for some evidence to be presented and I can't find any terms etc for arc specifically and the general cryptic/pwe ones aren't anywhere near as bad as some.   I'll guess I'l just have to wait until it's fully rolled out to see if it's an evil drm clone or just a unified launcher/marketing tool.

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    How about not playing STO in the first place?   You got at least 50 MMO's that are way better then STO in every aspect.  I should know because I used to be founder. Got screwed so bad, but that's life, you learn from your mistakes! :D
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamer
    How about not playing STO in the first place?   You got at least 50 MMO's that are way better then STO in every aspect.  I should know because I used to be founder. Got screwed so bad, but that's life, you learn from your mistakes! :D

Always a viable option,  Not sure there are 50 mmo's that are better but there are certainly plenty that are roughly the same.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    good thing i stop playing ANY PWI games because they are corrupt beyond corrupt as a organization. Just dont play ANY of their games, they are thieves and if we are smart we should try and open up a class action law case against them.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I have been using ARC since release with no issues.  No extra processes running or browser plugins.  What amazes me is people are worried about this game launcher but have no issue heading over to awesomehotwomennaked.whatever and similar sites which are no doubt more malicious than this game launcher from PerfectWorld.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319

Let me ask you this, why would a game company want to install a program on your browser when it has nothing to do with the game? If the program doesn't appear to be doing anything, why force people to install it in the first place? Now when you think of possible answers to those questions, "information gathering and selling" is a valid answer and probably the most likely answer. If you have a better answer, I'm willing to read it.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319

"Better" is a matter of opinion plus there are people who want to play in the Star Trek universe.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Alverant

Let me ask you this, why would a game company want to install a program on your browser when it has nothing to do with the game? If the program doesn't appear to be doing anything, why force people to install it in the first place? Now when you think of possible answers to those questions, "information gathering and selling" is a valid answer and probably the most likely answer. If you have a better answer, I'm willing to read it.

If I had to guess, I'd say because it's a browser plugin that allows you to launch their games from their website. 

But that would be silly; couldn't possibly be the reason, since that's exactly what it does. 

You're right, a plugin that allows you to launch the game from their website has "nothing to do with their game". 

I'm pretty sure you're not interested in reading anything either, seeing as several people in this thread already pointed out exactly what the plugin is for, and you're still claiming it's to steal your information so they can sell it. 

"Better" is a matter of opinion plus there are people who want to play in the Star Trek universe.

There aren't really a lot of star trek gaming options atm are there. Outside the old games(which may/maynot work on new systems)there's sto or crap tie-ins to crap movies.

Maybe marketing.  They could use it to redirect searches to themselves(or those that have paid).

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

PWI gets a lot of advertisement money from ZEN advertisers, which by the way,  PWI even has a program where you do surveys for companies for free ZEN.   You can bet that anything they put on your browser is pure adware related and earning them extra cash on your browser habits.    Its a grey line of right and wrong,   I think its right if they are upfront about it and reward you for it,  but I think its completely wrong if you do  not want it to protect your privacy.   In the end, gamers will have to show how much they care about their privacy once again,  just like those on facebook and those who choose not to participate on facebook.  Those who post on youtube and those who would never post on youtube.  Unfortuantly I was about to download the game again, because I'm a lifetime subscription holder, BUT I care more about my privacy then a game so I will choose not to participate in this.  Just like when WoW tried to use REAL ID on us,  I stoped playing wow that Day and never, ever touched that game since.  A game company must be trustworthy enough to handle your data and privacy as if it was a bank because they do use transactions that affect your bank account and privacy like any other store who sells you a product.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    I just get the game off a torrent when it becomes stable and send in a check and tell them as much. 
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    It's harmless. There's nothing to see here folks. If someone is that paranoid of somebody spying on their computer, then they need to disconnect from the internet. 

honestly makes you wonder what people are doing on their computers to be so paranoid in the first place.