Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would a "Reverse Auction House" work?

ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Do you think it would be good to have a way to post requests for items/materials/tasks on whatever passes for the auction house or bazaar on EQN? Now I know that some would rather not have an AH of any type and sell from your house, but in some public place if there were listings for tasks do you think this would be a good feature?

Example: I want 20 Orc Hides for crafting purposes, but they are an uncommon material. I make a request (looks like papers nailed to the post in the tavern or whatever) for the hides, and put 10 gold up. Jordak the Barbarian goes and kills the orcs, brings back the hides, and turns them in to the post. He gets 10 gold, I get the hides.

Same could be said for building materials, since you have to have them on hand to make something. Bounties? Clearing Monsters?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Comments

• strattacstrattac Member UncommonPosts: 22
    i like the idea of this a lot, maybe we will see something like this. i personally LOVE player run economies where you have to actually communicate outside of an AH
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Of course is a good idea, unfortunately I would be surprised if EQN won't have a Standard AH.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Auction houses are a big waste of time. Player owned vendors and communication are much better way to go.

AH create lag in large cities when everyone goes there and hoards around one npc.  They destroy the social aspect of the business model in sandbox games. Takes away the business aspect for the trader/crafter by not being allowed to operate and control your own vendors.

My personal opinion of course, I just hate auction houses over true business/crafting/trading that can be had in a game.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Onomas

Auction houses are a big waste of time. Player owned vendors and communication are much better way to go.

AH create lag in large cities when everyone goes there and hoards around one npc.  They destroy the social aspect of the business model in sandbox games. Takes away the business aspect for the trader/crafter by not being allowed to operate and control your own vendors.

My personal opinion of course, I just hate auction houses over true business/crafting/trading that can be had in a game.

Yeah I love NPC vendors in my home, that would be my preference. I just figured that if there was some sort of public board, where you can actually find the homes and vendors if that were the system, this might be a great way to have things to do and add to the economy as well.

If there is an actual AH, this would be another way to do business on it.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

I prefer the craigslist approach with a universal search option, but you have to meet in person or go to someones home/shop to buy/sell items.

As far as reverse auctions, I believe GW2 does this and it seems to work well. Would actually be a big help with crafting/building in EQN and I hope they do have this feature.

Would be fun to post something and offer to make a sword for free if someone brings you all the materials. Would help a new player that might not be able to craft the sword, but could gather the needed materials.

• fizzlesticksfizzlesticks Member Posts: 45

Is this any different from /buyer in EQ, besides not needing a character parked in Bazaar or am I confusing myself?

And if that's what it is, I fully support it.

• ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149
    I would rather like this feature myself, to make players have more incentive to do these requests have the game tag on a exp or loot reward based on a few things 1: the amount of items and their quality, 2: the player reward for said items. More rarer/expensive items they want, more exp the completer gets. Since its determined by the game how much exp is given, its not very exploitable. I will admit though that I am not a very big fan of having to go to someones home to buy/sell an item, I just personally find it a pain in the ass, FF14 1.0 handled this well by making all player shops in one area, making it searchable, when u selected an item it'd flag the shop for you when you went inside, or you could pay an extra fee to have the game just hand you the item if you were lazy. While it does add to immersion to go to someones house to buy from them I personally just feel its a nuiscense. Used to annoy the hell out of me especally in swg when people would have their house in the middle of friggin no where, and I had to go there to buy the item, it got to the point I just stopped using the system entirely.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

In SWG we already worked that way, not so as OP suggest (which is a nice idea) but with mail request.

As a crafter I tried and became pretty well know on our servers so did other crafters, we gotten many requests as also sending out requests but by mail or pure chat or talk to another player.

I don't mind a centrale auction type of house, but like in pre-cu SWG you couldn't buy everything from it but did see who sold what where so you could visit one of the many player run shops or contact the goods owner.

But I also think SOE has already come up with something slightly different with EQLandmark:

• Everything is made out of voxels. You can build stuff in "Everquest Next Landmark" and sell it in an economy where you get some of the profits that is real money.
    • If you build really good stuff it can be added to the actual world of Norath.
    • "The round table". Open development you can see what they're making and being able to vote on what you like and don't like. You can make stuff and add it to the game. Promising a lot more developer interaction in making the game.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I'm not completely sure what you mean by 'reverse' auction house, but if the game lacks an AH atall, It'll be one of the first con's to the game on my list. I've played MMO's without auction houses, and they sucked, having to run around a massive square with big ole text boxes in my face trying to find what i wanted at the time, and even if i did find it, it was usually at above average prices.

With a clear AH I can find what i want quickly, and I can be sure it's at the same price everyone else is paying for it at the moment. Absolutely hated running around, FINALLY finding what i wanted, buying it, only to see another vendor on the way out selling what i wanted for less than half of what i paid.  Clear cut AH please, is my vote

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• mos0811mos0811 Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Do you think it would be good to have a way to post requests for items/materials/tasks on whatever passes for the auction house or bazaar on EQN? Now I know that some would rather not have an AH of any type and sell from your house, but in some public place if there were listings for tasks do you think this would be a good feature?

Example: I want 20 Orc Hides for crafting purposes, but they are an uncommon material. I make a request (looks like papers nailed to the post in the tavern or whatever) for the hides, and put 10 gold up. Jordak the Barbarian goes and kills the orcs, brings back the hides, and turns them in to the post. He gets 10 gold, I get the hides.

Same could be said for building materials, since you have to have them on hand to make something. Bounties? Clearing Monsters?

If they were to mimic EvEs system of buying and selling then yes there would be a way for you to place a "buy" order.  I think it works very well in any game.  The only thing I would also suggest is then you have to have local sales and not global sales.  Auction Houses for the most part are global, and that is one thing I would like to get away from.  Not just the actual purchase, but even being able to see what is up on the market or what orders need to be filled.  Only allow orders and sales to be viewed within a region.

• mos0811mos0811 Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Toxia

I'm not completely sure what you mean by 'reverse' auction house, but if the game lacks an AH atall, It'll be one of the first con's to the game on my list. I've played MMO's without auction houses, and they sucked, having to run around a massive square with big ole text boxes in my face trying to find what i wanted at the time, and even if i did find it, it was usually at above average prices.

With a clear AH I can find what i want quickly, and I can be sure it's at the same price everyone else is paying for it at the moment. Absolutely hated running around, FINALLY finding what i wanted, buying it, only to see another vendor on the way out selling what i wanted for less than half of what i paid.  Clear cut AH please, is my vote

I'm glad that we can disagree, because I hate global AH's.  In order to have a true economy you can't have a global market house, you need regional market hubs.  Buying low and selling high in regional hubs is one of the reasons EvE's market system is so good.

Originally posted by mos0811
    Originally posted by ignore_me

If they were to mimic EvEs system of buying and selling then yes there would be a way for you to place a "buy" order.  I think it works very well in any game.  The only thing I would also suggest is then you have to have local sales and not global sales.  Auction Houses for the most part are global, and that is one thing I would like to get away from.  Not just the actual purchase, but even being able to see what is up on the market or what orders need to be filled.  Only allow orders and sales to be viewed within a region.

I was fine with the way EvE's system worked, because Getting stuff from point A to B to sell was a risk in itself(might get blowed up and have the whole kit stolen) so paying for something close to home at a higher price was acceptable, but barring full loot stuff like that, I'd just feel like i was getting scammed honestly. "Imma go here and by this for 5gold, then come sell it here for 20gold" . Things like that just irk me. I feel like if the marketers want to play the market, it should be an even playing field where you compete with other marketers prices, not try and get over on someone because they dont know what they are buying is half price right around the corner.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by mos0811
    Originally posted by Toxia

I'm glad that we can disagree, because I hate global AH's.  In order to have a true economy you can't have a global market house, you need regional market hubs.  Buying low and selling high in regional hubs is one of the reasons EvE's market system is so good.

Like i said, if this game is full loot pvp like EvE, then i'm fine with that. The movers n shakers are taking the risk to move it from point a to b, they should get paid for that. If this game DOESNT have full loot pvp, then imo you are just scamming people who dont know any better.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• Sky427Sky427 Member UncommonPosts: 99

No probably not. Disregarding everything that's been said in this thread because I only skimmed it and noticed a lot of talk about eve.

The thing about the way auction houses in most if not all games is that is there entirely for convenience. Nothing more.

The thing about creating a buy request would be that

1.) If you create a buy request and someone makes the same request for a higher reward yours will never get fulfilled if this happens multiple times. Thus you'll end up resorting to just obtaining the item yourself or buying it on the regular AH.

2.) If you did that and forgot to cancel your request and by happenstance someone decided to fulfill your order you'd end up with double what you needed assuming you already got the item by the time you realized that you left your request up. This may not nessacerily be bad depending but sometimes you only needed X of an item and have no use for more.

3.)If say you're looking for an item that is not in high demand and someone decideds to go off and fulfill your order, then another person walks by with the exact item you need and they fulfill your order instantly the other person who would have taken their time to get your goods will come back to find that they might not be able to sell the full amount you requested in the first place.

4.)If there was a contract system that made it so situation 3 wouldn't happen then you would become reliant on that person to fulfill their task in a decent amount of time. Unless you really have better things to do why would you ask someone to get you something and pay them if they weren't going to do it quickly? 

All that said with a normal auction house it's just 

Walk up, Is my item in here? If it is can I afford it? If I can bam, done, transaction complete time to go do whatever it is I intended to with this item.

Also you could have your reverse auction house thing just by using chat "Anyone want to farm me some blergablerg I'll pay you this much blergablerg."