Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know any good popular private servers...?

KingAlkaiserKingAlkaiser Member UncommonPosts: 57

not sure if its allowed on mmorpg.com ( if it aint please close thread and i apologize ahead of time )

but was wondering if anyone plays or knows any good free private servers?

Comments

• DrelkagDrelkag Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Not allowed, and there's no private servers for XI. Look them up on Youtube, some have servers running but the AI, skills, items, basically everything doesn't work. They're just maps to run around in.

• KMFDM_Kid2000KMFDM_Kid2000 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Originally posted by Drelkag

Not allowed, and there's no private servers for XI. Look them up on Youtube, some have servers running but the AI, skills, items, basically everything doesn't work. They're just maps to run around in.

I registered just to address this. This is wholly NOT the case with the current state of the "good" FFXI private servers. I won't divulge links or details, and I don't know what servers you've been playing on, but I have been playing on some which are quite full of working content up to WoTG. Granted, for expansion 3 and 4, things are VERY limited, but I finished Divine Might, and know people who've gotten sea access, nearly just like retail.

A lot of private servers are stuck at 75 cap, and they do so intentionally. Many players want to capture that old school FFXI with some extra tweaks, like 4, 5 even 10X retail EXP.

I play multiple characters, usually 3 at a time, RDM, THF, PLD, and I can say 95% of skills and spells work as you would expect them to. Same goes for items and equipment. I grind FOV books, just like you probably would on retail (I quit in '09, so I have no experience with FOV outside of PVT servers). Mob AI is nearly identical to retail, albeit with a few quirks here and there.

So your claim of empty worlds with nothing working is completely false. The last server I was on had a robust economy, competing end game linkshells, dynamis, hell, even a few players had relics. You won't find a 2,000 player population online, more like 200, but that's more than enough, as many things do get augmented and tailored for a low server population, like custom shops, level all crafts to 100, lifted restrictions, faster run speed, things like that.

And for the love of baby mohammad, don't go on YouTube. You're liable to catch something nasty doing that. Do a simple Google search for what you want. But be wary, many of the larger pvt servers are in the crosshairs of SE's legal department, and it's not unheard of for a server to be abruptly shut down with a C&D order. The trick is, find a server which has a population, but flies under the radar enough not to be caught by the American DMCA. European servers (usually have a lot of American players anyway) with European owners who actively work on their server. I'm on one now with a 99 cap. It doesn't work quite like retail does, but there's a solid active player base, huge augments, fully stocked AH, so what most would consider a "fun" server. I'm also on another server in which I've worked months to get a lot of the desirable gear from Zilart and CoP on, with 2 characters, Dynamis-Xarcabard access, AF2 pieces, fairly high level crafting, and a closer-to-retail as it was in 2005/2006 feel, but with FOV.

I play pvt everyday, so trust me, this guy is talking private servers 2 or 3 years ago, not private servers today.
  • nasominasomi Member CommonPosts: 3
    There are absolutely fully functional private servers. I play on one that is CoP based and quite full featured. Google my username and you'll find it.