Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The holy trinity came about because of primitive MMO AI. Vastly improved AI means a new dynamic is

1111213141517»

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

I always thought zerg was referring to throw more and more numbers to overwhelm the enemy.  That is the way I've always seen it used, until this thread.

Considering the term is coined from the Zerg in SC (main tactic being overwhelming with massive numbers), I'd agree here, that's how I've also seen it used over the years.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Fangrim

Any game with one hotbar - 8 abilities is pathetic and inferior game play,especially in an MMO world,its quite obviously aimed at the casual gamer.

End of story tbh.

Vanilla EQ1 was far from casual.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by Lourent

What if there aren't designated roles, but the AI, and the skill available to a warrior, makes it reasonable to build and/bring along a tank like character.

So there aren't hard taunts.  And, the AI is smart.

So, what if we have a heavy armor character who has snare/root like skills.  And attacks that do massive positional damage.  Like to the flanks and rear.  Plus some nice defense skills.  The superior AI mob breaks off and makes a bee-line for the squishy mage doing massive damage.  So,  the tank snares/roots the mob and his positional attacks/modifiers start pumping massive damage into the flanks/rear of the mob.  The smart mob understands it can't reach the mage, presently.  And, that this guy with the shield is now making undefended and unanswered attacks.  And, it freaking hurts!  Aggro.

Edit:  Obviously this is simplified, and doesn't touch upon the possibility of stuns, knockdowns, etc. that might be available to build a 'tank.'

If a player played a monster they would want to survive the encounter as they didn't grow up yesterday and plan on living out their years....this is immersiveness

The mage would be the soft target on the way out so as to regroup and reencounter under better circumstances

Intelligent MOB Behavior should be like chess but more....uncanny, cooperative, dynamic, engaging, etc...

Its time for learning AI to interface within and of itself, through and with human interaction

If I can imagine this why wouldn't it be so?

Are you ready for this?

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Originally posted by Fangrim

Any game with one hotbar - 8 abilities is pathetic and inferior game play,especially in an MMO world,its quite obviously aimed at the casual gamer.

End of story tbh.

Vanilla EQ1 was far from casual.

Touche :) but EQN will be.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

I always thought zerg was referring to throw more and more numbers to overwhelm the enemy.  That is the way I've always seen it used, until this thread.

Considering the term is coined from the Zerg in SC (main tactic being overwhelming with massive numbers), I'd agree here, that's how I've also seen it used over the years.

Yeah, you played the Zerg faction to, well, zerg.  I always that that was where it came from, but then again I figured maybe in my old age my memory was going.