Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm asking as politely as possible: How did this get E3 best in show exactly?

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by Andravius

Man you people are sounding like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5fsWW7U774 over a non-issue.

Well the first part anyway. 

I'm just trying to get a handle on if I'll have my own grubby hands on this game in my lifetime.   I am 56, after all.

And if I can't trust the editorial staff on one game site, I'd like to know it, so I can move along and try to get reliable information elsewhere.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    where exactly did you see a tech-demo only? This is a working game, in alpha still - as the live dev presentation at the end of the debut proved.

And where did you see it wasn't a tech demo?

Do you want me to make a list of what they didn't show?

- the GUI yep

- PvP that topic was glazed over all weekend

- Crafting what crafting.. that was totally ignored ALL weekend

- Other classes (Only 2) Yep, they couldn't even tell us the starting 8 they have planned

- Other races (Only 2) Same thing here.. only two? /scratch head

- Skill system yep

- Other zones (only 2) yep

- Questing all I heard was public quest yada yada yada you'll love it..

- Group work (Trinity in action if there is one) i saw nothing that showed group cooperation

- Housing (Maybe too soon) we'll see..

- Cities (How they look) We didn't even see concept art, let alone actual footage or screenshot

It looks like they built 2 maps with no major building/constructions, made 2 races and 2 classes with a couple of skill each and made a video.............that's what it looks like.

Mostly it was slide shows and concept art (didn't you noticed that?)

From where I sat.. It looked like the game was started a couple months ago, and they did an overnight marathon session to build the demo at the last minute..   If this game is more then 10% complete, I would be shocked from what heard and saw this weekend

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by ste2000

- Other classes (Only 2) Yep, they couldn't even tell us the starting 8 they have planned

- Other races (Only 2) Same thing here.. only two? /scratch head

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/05/everquest-next-has-more-than-40-classes-five-listed/

Five of the classes have been revealed so far: Rogue, Warrior, Tempest, Blademaster and Wizard.

The playable races are Dwarf, Human, Ogre, Elf, Dark Elf and Kerran.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by strangiato2112

Originally posted by remyburke Heh, I was wondering the exact same thing today. Cool concepts and ideas? You bet!....but if Bill and the Gang saw what we've all seen thus far, then I'm not sure how you can give a game that isn't even a game yet "best in show".
    No one has given a reasonable argument as to what MMO should have won instead
    The other options were, console kiddy MMO's, ESO (or omen as is it seems to be judged around here), a medieval game with cars (if AA was at E3 I'm not sure), The return of a failed game (FF)...

Note: the wording used is to give off the impression those games receive around here.

I would have picked Destiny as best MMO in show with EQN as most anticipated.

So you would have picked an out of genre game that really didnt show a whole lot more than EQN did?

Halo games are ridiculously more advertised than Everquest games, why didnt they pay off MMORPG to give them best of show?

Is there some secret bidding war for who gets best of show?  How does MMORPG know which bribe to take?  When was the last time SoE paid for advertising of any kind?

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I totally agree with the OP and its pretty crazy how this site and most of you have blessed this as the next messiah when 95% is concept. I love the concepts and I hope it all pans out, but a little more execution and less concept is required before getting to the blessing this site and its forums have bestowed upon this game. 

There Is Always Hope!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I just feel that we could all benefit a little from a more objective approach to previews and first looks. I don't think we are doing ourselves any favors by handing out awards for great ideas.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

I just feel that we could all benefit a little from a more objective approach to previews and first looks. I don't think we are doing ourselves any favors by handing out awards for great ideas.

Actually I believe we had a Devils Advocate article on this very site about the same topic, and about media outlets over hyping games before knowing much about them.  How the media was partly to blame for this very situation which has repeated itself and how they should tone down and wait for more information before spreading hype or rumors or vague statements.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by baphamet

yes but the combat and the way they handle skills and abilities is very similar, is it not?

Do we know? We have seen little to nothing of the UI yet. We don't even know if the game will have passive or active dodging either (or I missed that). And Bill Murphy's article talks about Tera and doesn't mention GW2.

And even then, those features alone don't define a MMORPG and don't make it a "clone". Both GW2 and Tera have action combat, and Tera is definitely not a GW2 clone (or vice versa) and thankfully so, or I wouldn't be playing GW2.

ask yourself this, is EQN going to be more familiar to EQ players or GW2 players? this is supposed to be an everquest game and they took more features from other games than they did everquest it seems.

None of both. EQ players just as well as GW2 players, or even WoW players, will be lost in a sandbox and will have to adapt. The ones whom the game will be the most familiar to are UO/SWG/EvE players.

that's not to say this is a GW2 clone but it does have some similar core systems. too bad it didn't have some similar core systems to everquest.

Good sentence. The game not being what you want it to be doesn't make it neither bad nor a clone. And to be honest, give it a chance... there are things I don't like either, for instance that class system seems a bit "cheezy" to me, but I'm waiting to see more and try it myself before I dismiss it.

While intended to refute baphamet's points/questions, you're actually underscoring exactly why people are finding the "Best of Show" award dubious.

We know some things about the tech. We know what they intend to do with the tech. We have seen and know so little about the game itself.

A similar thing happened not long after MMORPG.com folks got their "backstage teaser" of the game a few months back. They immediately turned around and deemed it "most anticipated" or something. At that time, I questioned how they could possibly award a game we knew next to nothing about with such an award.

This time around it's exactly the same thing. They're awarding "Best of Show" to what was essentially a tech demo and a presentation discussing what SOE intends the game to be.

MMORPG.com has had the hype dial cranked to 15 and they just keep cranking it up higher with every new bit of info SOE gives out.

No other MMORPG has ever been given even remotely this much hype, nor awarded accolades typically reserved for actual playable titles.

MMORPG.com is slathering on the praise and going ape-shit on hype mode over something that is, at best, 90% concept, 10% reality. It's unprecedented, and it's ridiculous.

Could they award it, "Most Ambitious" or "Most Exciting" or "Most Promising"? Sure. All those things can apply to a game in the state EQN is now.

But to award "Best of Show" to it is a slap in the face to other developers who actually had a functional, playable and demonstrable game. EQN, at this point, is a very impressive tech demo. It is not a game.

If a title can be awarded "most anticipated" and "Best of Show" for merely having a really impressive looking technology demo and slide presentation, then there's a lot of people out there who, I guarantee you, could come up with something just as exciting and impressive. And if MMORPG.com were fair, they would/should have to give those titles equal consideration.

Originally posted by dgarbini
    Originally posted by Foomerang I just feel that we could all benefit a little from a more objective approach to previews and first looks. I don't think we are doing ourselves any favors by handing out awards for great ideas.
    Actually I believe we had a Devils Advocate article on this very site about the same topic, and about media outlets over hyping games before knowing much about them.  How the media was partly to blame for this very situation which has repeated itself and how they should tone down and wait for more information before spreading hype or rumors or vague statements.

Virality and Hype Devil's Advocate column back in January.

also Bill Murphy's personal review manifesto perhaps should be revisited to include previews?

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I find it interesting that so many people are willing to declare the game worthy of winning best of show for ideas that they have in their minds.  There is no evidence that any of this will even turn out the way they are talking about at the quality they are talking about. 

Here you go folks, if best of show should be given for a game based on what's on paper instead of what's actually developed and showable reality - I give to you your best of show and most innovative revolutionary MMO.  Now go play it and then notice the Grand Canyon sized difference between reality and what's on paper.

The Xsyon World

The Xsyon landscape is based on the Lake Tahoe basin and its surroundings. Lake Tahoe is an alpine lake nestled in the Sierra Nevada mountain range along the California and Nevada border. This location provides a wilderness setting with few traces of modern civilization as a clean slate for the first settlers of Xsyon to construct their world.

Base terrain is generated from accurate US Geological Survey data.

Land shaped and features added to create interesting locations for town development.

The world is divided into territories based on real life geopolitical boundaries.

Current Prelude area consists of 120 square kilometers.

First expansion area consists of over 150 additional square kilometers.

Full landscape will expand to over 1200 total square kilometers of playable terrain.

The Xsyon playable world is surrounded by an impenetrable green mist. The green mist expands to open up new areas.

Environment

The Xsyon world is set in a realistic and dynamic environment. The environment is meant to be not only visual and immersive, but affects and is affected by the Xsyon pioneers.

IDV Inc. Speed Tree 5.1

IDV Inc. Speed Grass 4.0

HDR (High Dynamic Range) lighting for increase contrast and detail rendering.

Detailed soft shadows.

Depth of field blur effect.

Bloom sun lighting effect.

Rivers and lakes use reflection, refraction, wave and ripple effects.

Waterfalls with particle system effects.

Full seasons: Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall.

Location based sun paths with dawn to dusk variable lighting.

Sun rays visual effect.

Realistic moon cycles and moonlight.

Dynamic night sky star map with accurate constellations, changes throughout the year.

Fluctuating temperature based on time and season.

Weather systems based on real life weather data for the Tahoe region.

Dynamic layered cloud system affects atmosphere and lighting.

Rain, snow and wind patterns based on season.

Accumulating snow.

Trees grow and sprout new trees.

Ground surfaces change as resource areas are generated or depleted.

User Interface

The Xsyon interface is designed to be simple, user friendly and customizable. The User Interface is considered a work in progress as we continue to add and revise interface elements over time.

Interface panels can be moved to accommodate your play style.

Mini map helps orient the character and displays in game time, date, season and a temperature gauge.

Chat panel with adjustable transparency and configurable channel tabs.

Emote panel for easy selection of emote actions.

Emote actions can be typed at the game console.

User interface can be turned off for taking screenshots.

Flexible cameras allow you to view your character in 1st person or various 3rd person modes with zoom control.

Social Interaction

Xsyon is a social game and interaction with other players is important for survival. Xsyon provides various chat channels and methods for players to exchange good and communicate.

Local channel for local ranged chat.

Global channel for world chat.

Tribe channel to chat with only your tribe members.

Whispers as private messages between players.

Combat channel for text combat descriptions.

System channel for system messages.

Help channel to contact in game Guides for assistance.

Ignore feature to ignore undesired messages.

Friend and Foe lists to keep track of other players.

Players can barter goods directly through a trade interface.

Players can exchange good through the Quest system.

Players can keep shared communal goods safe on tribal lands.

Character

Everyone is a hero in Xsyon. Your character begins with decent base statistics but is unskilled and untrained. In time your character will gain knowledge and develop the crafts and skills to flourish in this new world.

Eight basics stats: Strength, Fortitude, Agility, Intelligence, Spirit, Perception and Charm.

Characters use a pool of starting points to set starting stats.

Stats increase with actions and skill use.

Least used stats decrease over time as your most active stats increase.

The character's current state is monitored with six functional gauges: Life, Energy, Swing Power, Hunger, Thirst and Encumbrance. Two additional gauges: Faith and Comfort are reserved for future use.

Players gain additional experience points from performing skill based actions.

Experience points are used to 'level up' the player and in turn add additional skill points to compensate for skills not actively used.

Appearance

Upon character creation, you can customize your character's appearance. Over time your appearance will change.

Select from various heads, hair style, hair colors and facial hair to customize your appearance.

Select starting height and weight to create characters of different sizes and body types.

Character's visible muscle mass based on the character's current strength.

Character gain and lose weight over time.*

Characters age visibly over time.

* This system is currently being adjusted.

Actions

Characters in Xsyon can perform a basic set of physical actions, from gathering resources to interacting with other players.

Basic movements include walking, running, sprinting, jumping, swimming and strafing side to side.

The player can perform close to 50 emote expressions, friendly, fun, functional or rude.

Player can perform various swim strokes.

Movement speed and jump height and distance are influenced by many factors.

Movement is affected by terrain surfaces and slopes.

Movement is affected by character skills and statistics.

Movement is affected by character's current encumbrance and state.

Characters can become exhausted and temporarily unable to perform actions if they over exert themselves.

Character crafted hand carts can be used to transport large amounts of goods.

Encumbrance weight and capacity limits force players to choose what to carry and what to leave behind.

Action results are based on a combination of skills, stats and current character states.

Actions affect hidden stats including Luck, Good and Evil.

Skills

Characters in Xsyon rely primarily on their skills to perform actions, gather resources, craft objects and fight.

Players currently begin with basic access to all skills.

Players can select a few starting skills at higher level.

Skill power increases with use.

Skills can be maintained or increased by applied skill points gained through experience.

Skill performance is influenced by a primary and secondary stat and many additional factors.

Skill based actions include logging, scavenging, foraging, fishing, forestry, hunting and gathering resources.

Skills are grouped into six categories: Combat, Physical Actions, Resources, Trade Skills, Craft and Construction.

Skill level affects the quality of gathered, found and hunted resources.

Skill level affects the quality and durability of crafted items.

All skills are affected slightly by Luck.

Resources

The pioneer relies on the living world for resources to thrive in the world of Xsyon. Resources provide the basic materials for crafting, building construction and survival.

Basic resources include grass, rocks, sand, lumber and found remnants of the lost modern civilization.

Scrap piles provide bundles of basic found resources that can be sorted for type, material and color.

Resources can be gathered from hunted creatures.

Many resources can be found in a variety of materials with different properties which affect the final qualities of crafted objects.

Found cloth resources can be found in a variety of colors.

Rare natural resources can be found in specific areas or stumbled upon based on chance.

Rare materials are distributed based on physical regions.

Players chop down trees for lumber.

Players can gather seeds and plant trees.

Trees can be planted on dirt, grass and forest terrain anywhere in the playable world.

Resources are constantly changing and can be depleted and renewed over time.

Resource availability is dependent on season and current weather conditions.

Terraforming

Terraforming is one of Xsyon's unique and exciting features. Players can shape the land in useful and creative ways. They can lay foundations for their towns or sculpt the landscape as terraforming artists. Many things are possible!

Players can raise, lower and level terrain.

Players can clear ground surfaces to dirt.

Players can build roads that improve travel speed between tribes.

Players can dig trenches to channel water from rivers and lakes.

Players can remove small boulders from the landscape.

Terraforming can be performed on most surfaces except for hard mountain surfaces such as granite.

Players can terraform only within tribe boundaries.

Terraforming lays the foundations for building towns and homesteads and can be used as temporary structures to aid in assembling buildings.

Roads can extend off tribal lands and connect tribes.

Crafts

Crafting is a major focus in the world of Xsyon. Players can craft armor, weapons, tools, components and a variety of useful equipment.

Players advance through eight basic crafting levels from Novice to Grand Master.

Many items are crafted in steps. Components crafted from basic resources are used for more complex items.

Items for each craft are grouped by type or design set.

Players gain new craft schemes of similar know sets while gaining skills.

Players gain schemes from new sets through luck based inspiration.

Players can learn crafting schemes from found patterns.

Players are limited to the number of schemes they can learn for each craft, based on their current skill and influential stats. These limits encourage players of the same skill level to maintain different sets of schemes in their arsenals.

Tools sets are based around basic resource groups and apply basic differences to final crafted items.

Artisan and Master tools provide additional enhancements to crafted items.

Quality and durability of crafted items is dependent on player skill, stats and other factors.

Crafted items acquire properties based on materials used.

Crafted items wear and decay through use.

Players can label crafted containers and buildings.

Construction

Xsyon features an extensive system for constructing buildings. Players use a wide selection of building elements to design and develop unique structures, mazes, monuments, homes and towns.

Stand alone structures such as small cabins and tents form the core of the architectural system.

Building elements include walls, roofs, floors, platforms and ramps.

Basic construction follows an grid with both axial and corner elements.

Gates are used to close off buildings and towns from intruding players and creatures.

Construction can be used in combination with terraforming to develop amazing structures.

Buildings provide shelter from the elements and are slated for future uses.

Gear

Xsyon is not a gear based game. The player can choose gear based on appearances and play style with individual gear varying in quality and properties based on the crafter and materials used.

All gear in Xsyon is crafted by players or given as rewards for special events.

Differences in gear based primarily on the crafting process.

Part based, layered armor system for many styles and combinations.

Armor affects player movement and combat.

Gear can provide stat bonuses for skill based actions and combat.

Gear wears and decays through use.

Combat

Xsyon features a flexible, manually controlled combat system. Targeting is based on player angles and swing directions. Final damage is calculated based on many factors.

The world is open to free combat with the exception of tribe zones.

Players can fully loot others players but can't take containers in use or special pre-order weapons.

Players control swing direction based on mouse movement.

Players control swing power based on holding their attacks.

Players can defend using directional parries.

Players can switch been held attacks and parries for quick shifting between attack and defense.

Increased damage for rear attacks.

Normal combat modes allows for left and right attacks and parries based on left and right mouse buttons used in combination with keys.

Mouse mode combat allows players to both attack and defend using only mouse buttons.

Combat continues to evolve based on player feedback.

Creatures

Wild creatures populate the world of Xsyon. Creatures can be hunted or become hunters and are a major source of resources.

Undead Revenants haunt abandonded tribes lands and desolate areas.

Revenants gain or lose power based on victory or defeat in combat.

Revenants loot dead characters and equip looted armor and weapons.

Creatures based on animals that currently exist in the Tahoe Basin and its surroundings.

Creatures breed to spawn children.

Children grow into adults.

Creatures grow in size and power as they age.

Creatures gain additional power through victorious combat, potentially evolving into legendary creatures.

Creatures can overrun areas or be driven away.

Creatures gravitate to their home locations based on mood and weather.

Creatures possess realistic loot. They can be skinned, gutted and deboned to provide useful materials for crafting.

Creatures pushed to the toxic green mist at the edge of the world are marked to mutate.

Expansion lands will contain toxic zones where creatures will mutate.

Mutants are powerful and dangerous versions of their base parent.

Tribes

Life in Xsyon revolves around player created Tribes. Players can develop small homesteads and play solo or band together to form larger tribes. Players will find the need to interact with others to survive and thrive in this newly formed world.

Tribal towns serve as centers for construction, crafting, interaction and trade.

Tribe leaders place a town totem that serves as the focal point and information center of the tribe.

Players can form tribes of different sizes: Homesteads for solo players, Bands for groups of less than 10, Clans for groups of less than 20 and Tribes for 20 players or more.

Tribes claim protected land where they can claim resources and construct their towns.

Claimed land increases with number of members.

Players use towns as community storage.

Detailed Rank system used to created hierarchical political structures.

Custom named Ranks have rank levels and permissions for many activities within the town limits.

Tribes can set messages to be displayed at their totems.

Tribes can chose tribal emblems and colors to be used in future banners and flags.

Tribes can set a town currency to be used in future trade totems.

Full size Tribes can be set as starting locations for new players.

Stat bonuses for tribe leaders.

Stat bonuses for players in their tribe zone.

Stat bonuses for players wearing tribal colors.

Scavengers have increased frequency to find materials in their tribe's colors.

Deserted tribes allow increased public access to goods and resources left behind.

Abandoned tribes are removed over time and neglected goods and buildings become treasures for scavenging players.

Abandoned ruins are haunted by undead revenants.

Quests

Xsyon features a unique player driven quest system. Xsyon does not have traditional quest giving NPCs.

Quests are controlled through town totems.

Quests can be accepted and completed with the quest giver offline.

Players can assign quests for gathering, hunting and crafting.

Quest givers set rewards for questers.

Players can use the quest system as a primary means of trade.

Events

The Xsyon Guide Team runs regular events and contests to bring the player community together and provide memorable experiences. Minor spontaneous events are running during the week with planned announced events on weekends.

Creature hunts

Combat tournaments.

Contests provide a venue to show off your design skills.

Rare and valuable items are given as rewards to both victors and participants.

Unique rewards are given during holiday events.

Join these events and get to know the Xsyon community!

• VolmokVolmok Member UncommonPosts: 64

I would have expected released games to take the top prizes since, well ... they are released and actually had their gameplay reviewed and players could compare the paper ideas with the actual implementation :)

It shows so fine on paper and show so much potential, but come to think of it so many did and now some are not played so much: Warhammer, SWTOR, Aion. Unfortunately I have to stick to my old games for quality entertainment and a few new ones that were not so hyped and turned out great.

V.

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Low information gamers see "Best in Show" and they literally throwntheir money at the screen.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    When you are offered and accept an "exclusive", you are obligated do what they tell you to do: Crown them Best of Show

Exactly.  This Best of show was bought and paid for IMO.

Unless they showed MMORPG and TTH more then they have shown us (much more) there is noway this should have won anything this year.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Margulis

I find it interesting that so many people are willing to declare the game worthy of winning best of show for ideas that they have in their minds.  There is no evidence that any of this will even turn out the way they are talking about at the quality they are talking about. 

Here you go folks, if best of show should be given for a game based on what's on paper instead of what's actually developed and showable reality - I give to you your best of show and most innovative revolutionary MMO.  Now go play it and then notice the Grand Canyon sized difference between reality and what's on paper.

The Xsyon World

The Xsyon landscape is based on the Lake Tahoe basin and its surroundings. Lake Tahoe is an alpine lake nestled in the Sierra Nevada mountain range along the California and Nevada border. This location provides a wilderness setting with few traces of modern civilization as a clean slate for the first settlers of Xsyon to construct their world.

Base terrain is generated from accurate US Geological Survey data.

Land shaped and features added to create interesting locations for town development.

The world is divided into territories based on real life geopolitical boundaries.

Current Prelude area consists of 120 square kilometers.

First expansion area consists of over 150 additional square kilometers.

Full landscape will expand to over 1200 total square kilometers of playable terrain.

The Xsyon playable world is surrounded by an impenetrable green mist. The green mist expands to open up new areas.

Environment

The Xsyon world is set in a realistic and dynamic environment. The environment is meant to be not only visual and immersive, but affects and is affected by the Xsyon pioneers.

IDV Inc. Speed Tree 5.1

IDV Inc. Speed Grass 4.0

HDR (High Dynamic Range) lighting for increase contrast and detail rendering.

Detailed soft shadows.

Depth of field blur effect.

Bloom sun lighting effect.

Rivers and lakes use reflection, refraction, wave and ripple effects.

Waterfalls with particle system effects.

Full seasons: Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall.

Location based sun paths with dawn to dusk variable lighting.

Sun rays visual effect.

Realistic moon cycles and moonlight.

Dynamic night sky star map with accurate constellations, changes throughout the year.

Fluctuating temperature based on time and season.

Weather systems based on real life weather data for the Tahoe region.

Dynamic layered cloud system affects atmosphere and lighting.

Rain, snow and wind patterns based on season.

Accumulating snow.

Trees grow and sprout new trees.

Ground surfaces change as resource areas are generated or depleted.

User Interface

The Xsyon interface is designed to be simple, user friendly and customizable. The User Interface is considered a work in progress as we continue to add and revise interface elements over time.

Interface panels can be moved to accommodate your play style.

Mini map helps orient the character and displays in game time, date, season and a temperature gauge.

Chat panel with adjustable transparency and configurable channel tabs.

Emote panel for easy selection of emote actions.

Emote actions can be typed at the game console.

User interface can be turned off for taking screenshots.

Flexible cameras allow you to view your character in 1st person or various 3rd person modes with zoom control.

Social Interaction

Xsyon is a social game and interaction with other players is important for survival. Xsyon provides various chat channels and methods for players to exchange good and communicate.

Local channel for local ranged chat.

Global channel for world chat.

Tribe channel to chat with only your tribe members.

Whispers as private messages between players.

Combat channel for text combat descriptions.

System channel for system messages.

Help channel to contact in game Guides for assistance.

Ignore feature to ignore undesired messages.

Friend and Foe lists to keep track of other players.

Players can barter goods directly through a trade interface.

Players can exchange good through the Quest system.

Players can keep shared communal goods safe on tribal lands.

Character

Everyone is a hero in Xsyon. Your character begins with decent base statistics but is unskilled and untrained. In time your character will gain knowledge and develop the crafts and skills to flourish in this new world.

Eight basics stats: Strength, Fortitude, Agility, Intelligence, Spirit, Perception and Charm.

Characters use a pool of starting points to set starting stats.

Stats increase with actions and skill use.

Least used stats decrease over time as your most active stats increase.

The character's current state is monitored with six functional gauges: Life, Energy, Swing Power, Hunger, Thirst and Encumbrance. Two additional gauges: Faith and Comfort are reserved for future use.

Players gain additional experience points from performing skill based actions.

Experience points are used to 'level up' the player and in turn add additional skill points to compensate for skills not actively used.

Appearance

Upon character creation, you can customize your character's appearance. Over time your appearance will change.

Select from various heads, hair style, hair colors and facial hair to customize your appearance.

Select starting height and weight to create characters of different sizes and body types.

Character's visible muscle mass based on the character's current strength.

Character gain and lose weight over time.*

Characters age visibly over time.

* This system is currently being adjusted.

Actions

Characters in Xsyon can perform a basic set of physical actions, from gathering resources to interacting with other players.

Basic movements include walking, running, sprinting, jumping, swimming and strafing side to side.

The player can perform close to 50 emote expressions, friendly, fun, functional or rude.

Player can perform various swim strokes.

Movement speed and jump height and distance are influenced by many factors.

Movement is affected by terrain surfaces and slopes.

Movement is affected by character skills and statistics.

Movement is affected by character's current encumbrance and state.

Characters can become exhausted and temporarily unable to perform actions if they over exert themselves.

Character crafted hand carts can be used to transport large amounts of goods.

Encumbrance weight and capacity limits force players to choose what to carry and what to leave behind.

Action results are based on a combination of skills, stats and current character states.

Actions affect hidden stats including Luck, Good and Evil.

Skills

Characters in Xsyon rely primarily on their skills to perform actions, gather resources, craft objects and fight.

Players currently begin with basic access to all skills.

Players can select a few starting skills at higher level.

Skill power increases with use.

Skills can be maintained or increased by applied skill points gained through experience.

Skill performance is influenced by a primary and secondary stat and many additional factors.

Skill based actions include logging, scavenging, foraging, fishing, forestry, hunting and gathering resources.

Skills are grouped into six categories: Combat, Physical Actions, Resources, Trade Skills, Craft and Construction.

Skill level affects the quality of gathered, found and hunted resources.

Skill level affects the quality and durability of crafted items.

All skills are affected slightly by Luck.

Resources

The pioneer relies on the living world for resources to thrive in the world of Xsyon. Resources provide the basic materials for crafting, building construction and survival.

Basic resources include grass, rocks, sand, lumber and found remnants of the lost modern civilization.

Scrap piles provide bundles of basic found resources that can be sorted for type, material and color.

Resources can be gathered from hunted creatures.

Many resources can be found in a variety of materials with different properties which affect the final qualities of crafted objects.

Found cloth resources can be found in a variety of colors.

Rare natural resources can be found in specific areas or stumbled upon based on chance.

Rare materials are distributed based on physical regions.

Players chop down trees for lumber.

Players can gather seeds and plant trees.

Trees can be planted on dirt, grass and forest terrain anywhere in the playable world.

Resources are constantly changing and can be depleted and renewed over time.

Resource availability is dependent on season and current weather conditions.

Terraforming

Terraforming is one of Xsyon's unique and exciting features. Players can shape the land in useful and creative ways. They can lay foundations for their towns or sculpt the landscape as terraforming artists. Many things are possible!

Players can raise, lower and level terrain.

Players can clear ground surfaces to dirt.

Players can build roads that improve travel speed between tribes.

Players can dig trenches to channel water from rivers and lakes.

Players can remove small boulders from the landscape.

Terraforming can be performed on most surfaces except for hard mountain surfaces such as granite.

Players can terraform only within tribe boundaries.

Terraforming lays the foundations for building towns and homesteads and can be used as temporary structures to aid in assembling buildings.

Roads can extend off tribal lands and connect tribes.

Crafts

Crafting is a major focus in the world of Xsyon. Players can craft armor, weapons, tools, components and a variety of useful equipment.

Players advance through eight basic crafting levels from Novice to Grand Master.

Many items are crafted in steps. Components crafted from basic resources are used for more complex items.

Items for each craft are grouped by type or design set.

Players gain new craft schemes of similar know sets while gaining skills.

Players gain schemes from new sets through luck based inspiration.

Players can learn crafting schemes from found patterns.

Players are limited to the number of schemes they can learn for each craft, based on their current skill and influential stats. These limits encourage players of the same skill level to maintain different sets of schemes in their arsenals.

Tools sets are based around basic resource groups and apply basic differences to final crafted items.

Artisan and Master tools provide additional enhancements to crafted items.

Quality and durability of crafted items is dependent on player skill, stats and other factors.

Crafted items acquire properties based on materials used.

Crafted items wear and decay through use.

Players can label crafted containers and buildings.

Construction

Xsyon features an extensive system for constructing buildings. Players use a wide selection of building elements to design and develop unique structures, mazes, monuments, homes and towns.

Stand alone structures such as small cabins and tents form the core of the architectural system.

Building elements include walls, roofs, floors, platforms and ramps.

Basic construction follows an grid with both axial and corner elements.

Gates are used to close off buildings and towns from intruding players and creatures.

Construction can be used in combination with terraforming to develop amazing structures.

Buildings provide shelter from the elements and are slated for future uses.

Gear

Xsyon is not a gear based game. The player can choose gear based on appearances and play style with individual gear varying in quality and properties based on the crafter and materials used.

All gear in Xsyon is crafted by players or given as rewards for special events.

Differences in gear based primarily on the crafting process.

Part based, layered armor system for many styles and combinations.

Armor affects player movement and combat.

Gear can provide stat bonuses for skill based actions and combat.

Gear wears and decays through use.

Combat

Xsyon features a flexible, manually controlled combat system. Targeting is based on player angles and swing directions. Final damage is calculated based on many factors.

The world is open to free combat with the exception of tribe zones.

Players can fully loot others players but can't take containers in use or special pre-order weapons.

Players control swing direction based on mouse movement.

Players control swing power based on holding their attacks.

Players can defend using directional parries.

Players can switch been held attacks and parries for quick shifting between attack and defense.

Increased damage for rear attacks.

Normal combat modes allows for left and right attacks and parries based on left and right mouse buttons used in combination with keys.

Mouse mode combat allows players to both attack and defend using only mouse buttons.

Combat continues to evolve based on player feedback.

Creatures

Wild creatures populate the world of Xsyon. Creatures can be hunted or become hunters and are a major source of resources.

Undead Revenants haunt abandonded tribes lands and desolate areas.

Revenants gain or lose power based on victory or defeat in combat.

Revenants loot dead characters and equip looted armor and weapons.

Creatures based on animals that currently exist in the Tahoe Basin and its surroundings.

Creatures breed to spawn children.

Children grow into adults.

Creatures grow in size and power as they age.

Creatures gain additional power through victorious combat, potentially evolving into legendary creatures.

Creatures can overrun areas or be driven away.

Creatures gravitate to their home locations based on mood and weather.

Creatures possess realistic loot. They can be skinned, gutted and deboned to provide useful materials for crafting.

Creatures pushed to the toxic green mist at the edge of the world are marked to mutate.

Expansion lands will contain toxic zones where creatures will mutate.

Mutants are powerful and dangerous versions of their base parent.

Tribes

Life in Xsyon revolves around player created Tribes. Players can develop small homesteads and play solo or band together to form larger tribes. Players will find the need to interact with others to survive and thrive in this newly formed world.

Tribal towns serve as centers for construction, crafting, interaction and trade.

Tribe leaders place a town totem that serves as the focal point and information center of the tribe.

Players can form tribes of different sizes: Homesteads for solo players, Bands for groups of less than 10, Clans for groups of less than 20 and Tribes for 20 players or more.

Tribes claim protected land where they can claim resources and construct their towns.

Claimed land increases with number of members.

Players use towns as community storage.

Detailed Rank system used to created hierarchical political structures.

Custom named Ranks have rank levels and permissions for many activities within the town limits.

Tribes can set messages to be displayed at their totems.

Tribes can chose tribal emblems and colors to be used in future banners and flags.

Tribes can set a town currency to be used in future trade totems.

Full size Tribes can be set as starting locations for new players.

Stat bonuses for tribe leaders.

Stat bonuses for players in their tribe zone.

Stat bonuses for players wearing tribal colors.

Scavengers have increased frequency to find materials in their tribe's colors.

Deserted tribes allow increased public access to goods and resources left behind.

Abandoned tribes are removed over time and neglected goods and buildings become treasures for scavenging players.

Abandoned ruins are haunted by undead revenants.

Quests

Xsyon features a unique player driven quest system. Xsyon does not have traditional quest giving NPCs.

Quests are controlled through town totems.

Quests can be accepted and completed with the quest giver offline.

Players can assign quests for gathering, hunting and crafting.

Quest givers set rewards for questers.

Players can use the quest system as a primary means of trade.

Events

The Xsyon Guide Team runs regular events and contests to bring the player community together and provide memorable experiences. Minor spontaneous events are running during the week with planned announced events on weekends.

Creature hunts

Combat tournaments.

Contests provide a venue to show off your design skills.

Rare and valuable items are given as rewards to both victors and participants.

Unique rewards are given during holiday events.

Join these events and get to know the Xsyon community!

We have a winner!  Best of every E3 show for the next 10 years!  

Open beta should start tomorrow right?

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

EQN is vaporware until they get it up and running with all features intact.  All the promises of breaking new ground technologically and mechanically remind me too much of games Horizons, Shadowbane and Vanguard just to name a few.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

The options were:

mediocre games featuring more of the same old shit

revolutionary concepts with one of them already on display (destructible, multi tier world)

You are advocating favoring mediocrity over innovation.  Im sorry, I can't agree with you.

I don't know why people are so caught up in their absolutely moronic conspiracy theories and can't see that what little was shown of EQN was quite easily better than what was shown of any other MMORPG.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by Foomerang I just feel that we could all benefit a little from a more objective approach to previews and first looks. I don't think we are doing ourselves any favors by handing out awards for great ideas.
    The options were:

revolutionary concepts with one of them already on display (destructible, multi tier world)

You are advocating favoring mediocrity over innovation.  Im sorry, I can't agree with you.

I don't know why people are so caught up in their absolutely moronic conspiracy theories and can't see that what little was shown of EQN was quite easily better than what was shown of any other MMORPG.

[mod edit]

Maybe you should take a break. You seem to be taking this way too personally. I admire innovation. In fact, I already said Id award EQN with most innovative showing at E3.

The options were:

But yes, im sure it was because SoE won the bidding war for MMORPG.com's best in show award.  Dumbasses.

Maybe you should take a break. You seem to be taking this way too personally. I admire innovation. In fact, I already said Id award EQN with most innovative showing at E3.

You are the one so upset about it that you started an angry thread.  You are so upset you cant even see the obvious:  none of the other mmorpgs on display deserved it over what little they saw of EQN.  So far the only suggestion I have seen on who to give it to instead was a non MMORPG.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by Chieftan

EQN is vaporware until they get it up and running with all features intact.  All the promises of breaking new ground technologically and mechanically remind me too much of games Horizons, Shadowbane and Vanguard just to name a few.

I'd have said Ultima 2, but yes, vaporware.

Being awarded Game of the Show suggested to a lot of the readers of MMORPG.com that the EQ:N project was much closer to delivery than conception.   Information presented at SOE Live seems to strongly indicate that the reverse is far closer to the truth.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by strangiato2112 Originally posted by Foomerang I just feel that we could all benefit a little from a more objective approach to previews and first looks. I don't think we are doing ourselves any favors by handing out awards for great ideas.
    The options were:   mediocre games featuring more of the same old shit revolutionary concepts with one of them already on display (destructible, multi tier world)   You are advocating favoring mediocrity over innovation.  Im sorry, I can't agree with you.   I don't know why people are so caught up in their absolutely moronic conspiracy theories and can't see that what little was shown of EQN was quite easily better than what was shown of any other MMORPG.     But yes, im sure it was because SoE won the bidding war for MMORPG.com's best in show award.  Dumbasses.
    You are the one so upset about it that you started an angry thread.  You are so upset you cant even see the obvious:  none of the other mmorpgs on display deserved it over what little they saw of EQN.  So far the only suggestion I have seen on who to give it to instead was a non MMORPG.

This isn't an angry thread. I did not write my OP in anger. If thats the filter you chose to read it as, thats on you. I think EQN has some fantastic ideas. And the engine is truly next gen. I also think that games like The Division are the future of mmorpgs. There is more than one future. And many positive directions.

I can see how you might be over defensive. Maybe you scrolled through too many "I hate EQN" threads this weekend and now everything is setting you off. But getting pissed and name calling over a difference of opinion may be a sign for you to take a breather.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157

Now that we have seen the same stuff as the staff here and at Ten Ton Hammer, I am a bit confused as to how this nabbed best in show at E3. Mainly because none of the footage was actual gameplay. We saw tech demos of the voxel layered world (which is amazing). We saw two players on the screen fighting, jumping, hopping over rocks, falling down holes. We saw some world building tools ala minecraft which is pretty cool too.

However, we did not see the following:

Zero crafting. No raids, no actual quests or objectives, no rallies, no groups to speak of other than two players. No trade functions, chat functions, no character creation videos. We didnt see 40 classes. We didnt see any dynamic AI.

But you were told these things would be in game. You weren't actually shown them. So how exactly did it get best in show? We have not even seen this game working in real time.

I actually got too watch people play Assassin's Creed 4, Destiny, and Watch Dogs. Those games I would qualify as being shown. EQNext was 5% substance and 95% concept. I will agree that what we saw was a cool tech demo of the engine. But that was not a game yet. let alone an mmo and even further from what I would even consider a nominee for best in show at E3.

If you read Bill Murphy's article, then look at the limited amount of footage, you'll realize that amost everything he is talking about that is so amazing is not really in the game or at least not shown. It was al stuff that he was told would be in it. I mean, I can spin a pretty graphic tale of the perfect mmorpg too. Will that garner me game of the year?

So what gives, mmorpg.com?

money

gameplay > graphics

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

The options were:

But yes, im sure it was because SoE won the bidding war for MMORPG.com's best in show award.  Dumbasses.

So what you are saying is that ideas and concepts are enough to win?

So lets say we have a Skateboard (or whatever sport gets Judged by Judges) tournament.

In this tournament we have 20 skaters 19 show tricks we saw before already and nothing new but they still show them and some perform them better than others.

Now the last one comes up to the Judges and tells them about how he will blow there minds not only will he perform tricks that were never seen before but he also will show us a completely new design of board.

To prove it he shows us some scribbles on paper about how awesome it all will be.

Should the Judges declare him the winner now?

Well of course not  the Judges dont even know at that point of any of the promises will really be delivered hell they do not even know if the guy can even stand on a board so its obviously that one of the other 19 Skaters will have to win even tho there performance was nothing new but it has actually been performed.

In the case of EQN the Judges voted it winner anyways (and i just hope for their sake they did it for benefits and not cause they were too easily suckered in) using our Skateboard analogy again how did the rest of the 19 skaters feel?.....How would you feel if you would be one of the 19 skaters giving it your all only to loose to a smoothtalker with some papers who didnt even bring a board to the tournament? 

The options were:   mediocre games featuring more of the same old shit revolutionary concepts with one of them already on display (destructible, multi tier world)   You are advocating favoring mediocrity over innovation.  Im sorry, I can't agree with you.   I don't know why people are so caught up in their absolutely moronic conspiracy theories and can't see that what little was shown of EQN was quite easily better than what was shown of any other MMORPG.     But yes, im sure it was because SoE won the bidding war for MMORPG.com's best in show award.  Dumbasses.
    This isn't an angry thread. I did not write my OP in anger. If thats the filter you chose to read it as, thats on you. I think EQN has some fantastic ideas. And the engine is truly next gen. I also think that games like The Division are the future of mmorpgs. There is more than one future. And many positive directions.

I can see how you might be over defensive. Maybe you scrolled through too many "I hate EQN" threads this weekend and now everything is setting you off. But getting pissed and name calling over a difference of opinion may be a sign for you to take a breather.

The Division is the future of console shooters.  Not MMORPGs.  Its one genre moving towards another, not another genre branching out.  

If you have to 'ask as politely as possible', you are probably angry.

[mod edit]  i am just merely pointing out that its pretty ridiculous to think MMORPG.com was bought out by a very stingy company to give out a meaningless award when there were other companies with much deeper pockets and much bigger tendencies to advertise that would have paid more money instead.

Im personally very disppointed at a lot of the things that were announced for EQN and I expected the game to be further along, but as you even said the engine is truly next gen.  And that was on display.  Its not like EQN showed nothing.

Originally posted by Doomedfox

The options were:

There was more than ideas and concepts on display.  What was shown of the voxel world was quite impressive.  Obviously they are going to be able to pull off the destructable world aspect of it, because they already have.  The only thing thats really a leap of faith to assume they will pull off is the emergent AI (which is also the biggest potential feature), but I have seen via actual player controled footage something more impressive than anything in TESO or any other MMORPG at E3

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by Doomedfox

The options were:

There was more than ideas and concepts on display.  What was shown of the voxel world was quite impressive.  Obviously they are going to be able to pull off the destructable world aspect of it, because they already have.  The only thing thats really a leap of faith to assume they will pull off is the emergent AI (which is also the biggest potential feature), but I have seen via actual player controled footage something more impressive than anything in TESO or any other MMORPG at E3

What they showed was the concept of the voxel world it still will have to be seen how they pull it of in an actual MMO and not just a tech demo.

Dont get me wrong i hope it will be amazing (i have some doubts but choose to stay optimistic) but we did not see the actual gameworld.

You didnt answer my question tho how would you feel as one of the 19 Skaters?