Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm asking as politely as possible: How did this get E3 best in show exactly?

Comments

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

It is just the beginning, the game is not ready.

I doubt we actually need to see all 40 classes... I mean, since when does a game need to show off every single feature and element in it before hand or at the opening announcement.

All this will come in stages when the time is right, I am sure classes will be explained in the website, show cases step by step.

This here was only the opening statement for now.

maybe to gauge initial reactions, to verify how it is being received, to examine player questions concerns or interpretation.

it may have been better if the mmorpg.com presentation was in the form of a question at this stage instead of a direct statement about EQN changing the future of the genre.

But one thing is for sure, it is innovating and it is aiming for a different kind of gameplay than what has been experienced up to now. A very dynamic gameplay at least.

It may not turn out to be a Sandbox like UO/SWG/EVE but it will certainly be something new overall nevertheless. Whether it will be embraced and become a new norm or not however remains to be seen.

Maybe it aims to combine many styles of play together. All I know personally is that I could not get in to a game that follows on the footsteps of the last 6-8 years of MMORPG design. The Quest grind and vertical progression, playing for XP and drops..is so repetitive and redundant I just can't stand it.

We really need something refreshing. An they seem to aim in providing something new an refreshing.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Suraknar
    It is just the beginning, the game is not ready.I doubt we actually need to see all 40 classes... I mean, since when does a game need to show off every single feature and element in it before hand or at the opening announcement.All this will come in stages when the time is right, I am sure classes will be explained in the website, show cases step by step.This here was only the opening statement for now.maybe to gauge initial reactions, to verify how it is being received, to examine player questions concerns or interpretation.it may have been better if the mmorpg.com presentation was in the form of a question at this stage instead of a direct statement about EQN changing the future of the genre.But one thing is for sure, it is innovating and it is aiming for a different kind of gameplay than what has been experienced up to now. A very dynamic gameplay at least.It may not turn out to be a Sandbox like UO/SWG/EVE but it will certainly be something new overall nevertheless. Whether it will be embraced and become a new norm or not however remains to be seen.Maybe it aims to combine many styles of play together. All I know personally is that I could not get in to a game that follows on the footsteps of the last 6-8 years of MMORPG design. The Quest grind and vertical progression, playing for XP and drops..is so repetitive and redundant I just can't stand it.We really need something refreshing. An they seem to aim in providing something new an refreshing.
    Hey I agree with you. And I am excited to see what EQ Next ends up being. But right now, most of that stuff exists only on paper. I wouldnt give the award for best game at E3 to something that mostly exists on paper.
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Even the tech demo is better than anything else that was that was at E3. TESO is looking like garbage and anything else on the horizon is nothing new. Just because EQN isn't the game for you, doesn't mean it wasn't the best thing there.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    When you are offered and accept an "exclusive", you are obligated do what they tell you to do: Crown them Best of Show
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Tygranir
    Even the tech demo is better than anything else that was that was at E3. TESO is looking like garbage and anything else on the horizon is nothing new. Just because EQN isn't the game for you, doesn't mean it wasn't the best thing there.

Who said anything about EQN not being the game for me? I like where they want to take this game. The voxel engine looks fantastic. I think the organic feel of the game world and the layers are a breath of fresh air for the genre.

That doesnt, imo, make it the best game at E3. A game has to have the ability to be played. EQN is not yet to that point. SO no matter how good the engine looks or how amazing the feature list is, it still is not in the category of a playable game yet. When it is, I may in fact share your sentiment.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

The Voxel engine combined with procedurally generated content alone is worth MMO award of the decade.

You know, the random generated maps from Diablo 2 combined with everything can be destroyed... permanently.

Then add Everquest Landmark on top. Seperate servers where people build all kinds of cool stuff like in Minecraft. The best will be added to Everquest Next.

• hulgarhulgar Member Posts: 93
    MMybet says that they get a nice contract for banners and pub..money talks..as always
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Who said anything about EQN not being the game for me? I like where they want to take this game. The voxel engine looks fantastic. I think the organic feel of the game world and the layers are a breath of fresh air for the genre.

That doesnt, imo, make it the best game at E3. A game has to have the ability to be played. EQN is not yet to that point. SO no matter how good the engine looks or how amazing the feature list is, it still is not in the category of a playable game yet. When it is, I may in fact share your sentiment.

You got proof that it isn't playable? I'm sure you aren't disregarding all the tweets from georgeson about how much fun he was having PLAYING it.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Tinybina
    Originally posted by winter

Weither MMORPG.COM is just that easily impressed, or if the big developers do pay them off in one form or another is hard to say. We do know that MMORPG.COM is in the business of making new MMO's seem cool otherwise the site would shrivel up and die.

Its best just to remember the past and things like how MMORPG.COM raved about SW:Tor being the next greatest MMO as well back in its time

I have been on this site for years, years I tell you and never received warnings when I talked about a game, bad or good.

I had some post that could be considered negative talking about EQN and their game engine choice after this "Best of show" crap and was given 2 warnings by this site....

I found that quite interesting, and it really makes me question these reviews of games they do now.  I think it will be time to stick with reviews from the forum posters on this site from here on out.

MMORPG.com is a great site, but they have lost a lot of credibility IMO after this.

Swap out EQN with GW2 and you have my history with this site.  All I'm gonna say is it looks bad.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

While I admit the voxel engine is great ,  its not something new EQNext looks like a clone of this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH8vYWOTcVk

• MadcaterMadcater Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I have no idea?
  • EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    its the ip
  • wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

You CANNOT be serious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfj6KwEAfg

Originally posted by Grailer

While I admit the voxel engine is great ,  its not something new EQNext looks like a clone of this game

yeah, and Minecraft and Terraria

EQ next has smooth voxels though :)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Some of you guys are arguing as if EQN is a fact. "it is what it is and if you don't like it............." The fact that anyone can say "Just because EQN isn't the game for you......" is absurd. How do you know EQN IS the game for you?

If I had a nickle for every time I saw that line posted by someone on this site during development for AoC, WAR,Rift, SWTOR and GW2 by the same people who were bitching about how the game sucked within weeks of it's launch.

Please save yourself the potential future embarrassment and stop making assumptions you know nothing about. That in itself is EXACTLY what Foomerang's argument is. There is still far too little knowledge of EQN to make ANY assessment whatsoever. All you can say is you like what you see so far. SoE still actually has to deliver.  Wasn't GW2 announced to have Sidekicking? Well, things changed. That happens a lot in development.

Originally posted by wizyy

You CANNOT be serious:

What does it have beside nice graphics?

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Because everything else at E3 was the same old stuff.  Except maybe wild star but they released nothing new.

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158

Now that we have seen the same stuff as the staff here and at Ten Ton Hammer, I am a bit confused as to how this nabbed best in show at E3. Mainly because none of the footage was actual gameplay. We saw tech demos of the voxel layered world (which is amazing). We saw two players on the screen fighting, jumping, hopping over rocks, falling down holes. We saw some world building tools ala minecraft which is pretty cool too.

However, we did not see the following:

Zero crafting. No raids, no actual quests or objectives, no rallies, no groups to speak of other than two players. No trade functions, chat functions, no character creation videos. We didnt see 40 classes. We didnt see any dynamic AI.

But you were told these things would be in game. You weren't actually shown them. So how exactly did it get best in show? We have not even seen this game working in real time.

I actually got too watch people play Assassin's Creed 4, Destiny, and Watch Dogs. Those games I would qualify as being shown. EQNext was 5% substance and 95% concept. I will agree that what we saw was a cool tech demo of the engine. But that was not a game yet. let alone an mmo and even further from what I would even consider a nominee for best in show at E3.

If you read Bill Murphy's article, then look at the limited amount of footage, you'll realize that amost everything he is talking about that is so amazing is not really in the game or at least not shown. It was al stuff that he was told would be in it. I mean, I can spin a pretty graphic tale of the perfect mmorpg too. Will that garner me game of the year?

So what gives, mmorpg.com?

The better question is how COULD IT NOT!

This will be the first time in the history of the genre where consequences matter, the world is actually alive and truly dynamic, the NPC's are smart, and the way in which you interact with the game is ever changing.  Gone are the days of questing, camping as the only means of progressing.  Interactivity between you and the world and what you say and do will matter.  I find it extremely upsetting that there's this segment that think because it has cartoonish graphics or the combat is reminiscent of GW2 the game is doomed to fail.  How many of these people have espoused the ideal to live In a sandbox world a truly dynamic world and yet when some little ittle wittle thing they dislike in the game comes along it's going to sway them forever.  Talk about the most shallow hypocritical gamer ever.  The attitudes on these forums have made me sick for the future of this genre.  It's high time the vocal minority sit down, shut up and GTFO.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

How did it win best in show?

For me, knowing what I know now about what they have planned for EQN, it instantly made every other mmo seem bland and outdated. Simple mechanics like static npc spawns, for example. I can't see myself enjoying a game like that again when I know that there is something better coming.

That is how it won best in show for me!

--------------------------------------------
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by DMKano

OP here's all you need to know:

<image deleted>

SOE gets to put this on their webpage - to help market the game (helps Sony make more money)

On the flip side - MMORPG and TENTONHAMMER get extra traffic driven to their sites (traffic generates revenue)

It's a win-win symbiotic relationship.

I hope that makes sense.

My humble opinion - a tech alpha demo should *never* win the best *GAME* of E3... sorry

But that's not how the game business works.

Concepts and ideas and tech demos and marketing presentations (private ones, at that) should never win a Best Game award at any show.  Where is person from MMORPG.com or TenTonHammer who should have stood up and said  "It's pretty neat, but where's the game?".   I haven't seen any evidence that anyone outside of SOE has ever seen the slightest hint of actual game play.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Arcona
    Originally posted by wizyy

You CANNOT be serious:

What does it have beside nice graphics?

It's not a MMORPG, and EQN got "best of show" from... a website called "MMORPG.COM". Seriously...

EQN isn't an MMORPG yet either. It's still a Tech Demo.

• VakuumVakuum Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Grailer

That's because they are using the same Voxel engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnbUoU_UIaM

And to quote the man behind Voxel Farm (the engine):

At this point I really cannot comment anymore. I do not want to reveal their road map, this is up to SOE. One thing is certain, this is no marketing BS: After working with the EQNext team for a while I now have the realization they will be taking this tech to levels far beyond anything I have been able to do and show here. The best is yet to come.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

My gut tells me that they were caught up in the PR hype. And as fans of the genre, went nuts over the potential this game has. However, the journalistic objectivity side should have kicked in before they started handing out best in show.

I wish I could have been there as they walked out of the closed door press unveil. I would have asked them to keep this in perspective a bit since you know, it was just a demo and a slideshow of planned features. I hope EQ Next is all that SOE says it will be. Best in show? No, that goes to the developers that had an actual playable game at E3 imho.

I do agree here that there were a lot of nice looking games at E3, Destiny, The Division, etc... Yet I think many of those were more or less prototypes/demo builds as well.

ESO would be the likely contender which I doubt would have gone over well if chosen as game of the show, around here.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.