Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We all could win with EQN...

TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

this game has the potential, if it is well received to take us away from the exclamation points and glowy path, scripted themepark vision of MMOs that has been forced upon us by blizzard and friends.

Comments

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    One can only hope.
  • BubafatsBubafats Member Posts: 52

It could be amazing, but it won't be. It will be , i fear, what EQ1 was. Kinda.

Where the first EQ was the new bench mark at the time for what all games were going to have too do. I feel this game will be that, the new bench mark from which all games now need to start. In that way it very well may be a WoW killer.  But it won't be the king. It can't be. Because at the end of the day, it will be just like WoW, a kids game.

Is it too much to ask for a game the everyone can play , but only a few will truly excel at ?

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Bubafats

It could be amazing, but it won't be. It will be , i fear, what EQ1 was. Kinda.

Where the first EQ was the new bench mark at the time for what all games were going to have too do. I feel this game will be that, the new bench mark from which all games now need to start. In that way it very well may be a WoW killer.  But it won't be the king. It can't be. Because at the end of the day, it will be just like WoW, a kids game.

Is it too much to ask for a game the everyone can play , but only a few will truly excel at ?

i do agree, the "easy to learn, hard to master" way of gaming is the way to go.  NOt sure you are already jumping ship and saying EQN will not be that.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Im seeing more of a Guild Wars 2 with sandbox elements.

if anything,I think Guild Wars 2 was the bench mark for this game.

• BubafatsBubafats Member Posts: 52
    Oh don't get me wrong. I am gonna play the shit out of this game. It's just that there is nothing in the history of SOE to make me believe they are smart enough to take that step is all.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I dont think most of us win with this title....Sounds like it is being groomed for the PS4, geared towards the casual console gamer that wants to achieve things in little time and likes action combat......What SOE is saying is not what most EQ fans wanted to hear.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    I dont think most of us win with this title....Sounds like it is being groomed for the PS4, geared towards the casual console gamer that wants to achieve things in little time and likes action combat......What SOE is saying is not what most EQ fans wanted to hear.

I know I wont be putting one cent into this game.

• SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    Originally posted by Tyvolus

this game has the potential, if it is well received to take us away from the exclamation points and glowy path, scripted themepark vision of MMOs that has been forced upon us by blizzard and friends.

I hope you are right, but I am concerned the world will not be as sandbox as we are hoping for. In the example they give during the video you are asked by the Combine Accord to go build a city. How did they ask you? Someone had to, and whether he had an exclamation point above his head, you received an email asking you to do this, or you randomly clicked on every townsperson you could find, you were still given the quest by someone.

While building said city, it is mentioned that there will be a bunch of dynamic quests centered around that area for you to complete. Again, how do you get those quests? In the end you have to complete a laundry list of tasks for the city to be built.

Taking away the "!" and the glowing path isn't anything new, it's actually quite old. Lots of people like the old, lots like the convenience of the new. And let's not forget that "dynamic" events really aren't all that dynamic. The city discussed in the video had a Goblin King floating around. What does building the next city have? Another Goblin King? Or is it an Orc King?  And after building 5 cities, what do they have you do next?

As many have already stated, until you do away with NPC quests guiding you to do something here or fight this guy there you are still going to be in a themepark.