Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you like WoW, try Guild Wars.

brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
I would just like to suggest to the fans out there of WoW, that you try Guild Wars.  It has alot of similar features to WoW, like fast-paced combat and limited downtime.  But it's also unique in its own right and has alot of fun quests and PvP.  (Plus, the graphics are better.  Just wanted to beat that dead horse a little.)  There isn't a subscription fee, so it's worth the run.  You'll be glad you did.

Comments

• j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060

Originally posted by brihtwulf
    I would just like to suggest to the fans out there of WoW, that you try Guild Wars.  It has alot of similar features to WoW, like fast-paced combat and limited downtime.  But it's also unique in its own right and has alot of fun quests and PvP.  (Plus, the graphics are better.  Just wanted to beat that dead horse a little.)  There isn't a subscription fee, so it's worth the run.  You'll be glad you did.

Is this another attempt to convert me?

God damn it your worse than the church!

• TopzterTopzter Member Posts: 1

asking a person to try a new game is a not exactly a leap of faith.

He's just introducing something he feels is a good thing to the rest of the people.

• ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476

I bought Guild Wars today and my first impression is it sucks, OVERRATED.

edit: The team deathmatch mode is a lot of fun, I should have gone straight to that from the beginning.::::39::

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Yes, I am glad I did. Since I tried Guild Wars I'm even more confident that WoW is unparalleled in the MMO genre.

And as far as subscription fees go, Arenanet will be releasing expansions four times a year at roughly $30 a shot. This is only slightly cheaper than the subscription for a complete MMO (which GW is not). Of course you aren't obligated to buy the expansions....... unless you want any additional content, ever.

• vriggsvriggs Member Posts: 15

I was reading the GW reviews and my first impression was "Damn! I didn't know ArenaNet had THAT many employees!".

Cuz

Ferinzi
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    -Ronald Reagan-

• soujiro14soujiro14 Member Posts: 29

No subscription fee? Just one time payment on the game and that's it? To quote Super Troopers "I'll believe that when me s**t turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet."

If it is true, we'll see how long it lasts, let's face it, they're not gonna make enough from the amount of units sold alone, and they're definitely not pulling cash out of their asses.

• jackman11118jackman11118 Member Posts: 399

GW isnt any good. it offers nothing new, and the only thing to do is pvp.

if i wanted to play a rpg, i would play a rpg. if i wanted to play a mmorpg, i would play a mmorpg. i dont need anything inbetween atm.

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

GW is not a MMOG so people who like WoW will not like GW.

Way too much instancing in GW to give players a sense of immersion and community.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

Havent seen this post 16 times ::::02::

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Not that i like WOW but lmao Guild Wars is even more overhyped than WOW is!
  • madmanemadmane Member Posts: 10

Most games don't live up to the hype that people make it out to be. People are always starving for something new. It's the nature of the beast and I am no different :D We'll see if this has lasting power or not...only time will tell.

Let's Play!

~madmane

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

GWs is nothing more than PSO with prettier graphix. My wife and I have been debating if we should get it or not. We could always play it during those pesky downtimes on Tuesday mornings...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452

The great thing about Guild wars is u can leave it and go back to it later any time you want, you cant with most mmorpgs unless you like throwing money away.

• TheTkTheTk Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Marku

The great thing about Guild wars is u can leave it and go back to it later any time you want, you cant with most mmorpgs unless you like throwing money away.

That is a good point there...since there is no subscription fee and people overall for the most part think that the game is fun then what is there to lose by buying it....besides $49.99 which is know isn't a problem for me.  I There is NOTHING to lose go for it.
  • hapwnedhapwned Member Posts: 221

Originally posted by TheTk

That is a good point there...since there is no subscription fee and people overall for the most part think that the game is fun then what is there to lose by buying it....besides $49.99 which is know isn't a problem for me.  I There is NOTHING to lose go for it.

What's that I hear? YES! The woosh of GW fanbois, all dying to post. All I am hearing about Guild Wars is no subscription, no subscription. Are there any other selling points that would make it a better choice than WoW? How do the PvP systems compare? Do you play? Forget what most people think. What do you think? I think most people have a skewed opinion and are by and large a bunch of headnodders. What do YOU think? What is it that is so compelling other than WOW NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE? For those of us who don't have a problem with subscription fees and $49.99 we can easily blow on other one time and console games. Really if you're going to come to another games forum just to chime in, I highly recommend you go hit Gen Discussion for a while or something. Its got better traffic.

--Ha, Pwned--
    Pvp = godliness
    Playing: WoW
    Waiting on: Gods and Heroes

• cumbomcumbom Member CommonPosts: 544

Guild Wars is good for what it is but its not MMORPG, and its definately not better than WoW IMO.

-i would rather live my life as if an invisible man was telling me what to think than live my life thinking for myself

SWG RIP
    moctodumegws
    Can't WAIT!

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by hapwned

Originally posted by TheTk

What's that I hear? YES! The woosh of GW fanbois, all dying to post. All I am hearing about Guild Wars is no subscription, no subscription. Are there any other selling points that would make it a better choice than WoW? How do the PvP systems compare? Do you play? Forget what most people think. What do you think? I think most people have a skewed opinion and are by and large a bunch of headnodders. What do YOU think? What is it that is so compelling other than WOW NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE? For those of us who don't have a problem with subscription fees and $49.99 we can easily blow on other one time and console games. Really if you're going to come to another games forum just to chime in, I highly recommend you go hit Gen Discussion for a while or something. Its got better traffic.

The irony is just comical.  I saw all these posts back when the WoW fantics were flaming EQ2 a few months ago.  With everyone saying EQ2 sucked but could never say why WoW was better.  Welcome to the world of rabid fanbois saying YOUR game sucks now.

You can say that the rating system in this site sucks now too, since your precious WoW is a lowly 7.9 and GW is a 9.2.

BTW I don't play GW and did play WoW, I just hate hyprocisy. image

• MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452

Why isnt GW a mmorpg? why is it all over this site called mmorpg.com then :-P

its "massive" "Multiplayer" "online" "roleplaying game" = MMORPG

get it? now stop your whining, nobody's forcing you to like Guildwars :-P

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Guild Wars is massively, in the sense, you can play with or against any player on the American or European servers, with your single character at any moment you wish. In most MMORPG's, you'd have to create a new character on a new server to achieve that. Massively fits into GW's description very well, at the moment, since it's hugely populated.
    Oh sure, the areas are instanced when you leave a town, but it's no different to other MMORPG's I've experienced, since guildies shut everyone out who isn't in their guild anyway, and focus on doing group quests with their guild mates...

• SoupErmanSoupErman Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by firemagic

Yes, I am glad I did. Since I tried Guild Wars I'm even more confident that WoW is unparalleled in the MMO genre.

And as far as subscription fees go, Arenanet will be releasing expansions four times a year at roughly $30 a shot. This is only slightly cheaper than the subscription for a complete MMO (which GW is not). Of course you aren't obligated to buy the expansions....... unless you want any additional content, ever.

Please get your facts straight, expansions will be every 6-9 months, and the first one won't be out till the end of this year. And you can't say that its like a subscription fee when most MMO's have expansions ON TOP of subscricptions.

If you like to play PvP, on an even playing field where it becomes about skill rather than who spends the most time grinding, get Guild Wars.

If you like grinding and playing PvE, WoW is probably a better option, although there is absolutely nothing wrong with Guild Wars PvE. If you like single player RPGs, such as NVN, diablo, BG etc, you'll love Guild Wars PvE.

Selling points for Guild Wars: Game rewards the more skillful, rather than those who can spend 8 hours a day playing; very little grind compared to othe MMO's; no TKing, item camping, spawn camping (well not much), ganking; No subscriptions; streaming technology eliminates need for patches; no waiting in queues, don't have to stick to one server, if your friend in Korea is playing you can team up with them no problems, infact I like to think of it as one giant server; No Fed-ex missions. The aim of this game was to take everything that was wrong with MMORPG's - mainly the tedium of grinding, and get rid of it. Which they have done.

Now I have heard countless times how no subscription fees is gonna make the Arena Net go broke, well Arena Net have told us that the only reason other games have subscription fees is becuase they can. They have assured us their business model won't fail. Now remember the founders of Arena Net were a core part of Blizzard, the created Diable, Battle Net, Starcraft and Warcraft. They left Blizzard when they had different ideas for WoW and turned those ideas into Guild Wars. These guys have been around a long time and know what they're doing. So when they say they don't need subscriptions I beleive them.

• FreelanceFreelance Member Posts: 83

Well I currently play both games.  I like WOW and guild wars,  yes it is possible.

I like guildwars for when I don't have all day to do something.  I like the fact that if you cant find a group you can just go grab a npc to help you out or a whole group for that matter.  I generally group with 2 other people so we grab a extra npc healer to help us out and it works great.  I also like all the different skills you get in guild wars and the fact that you have to plan ahead before you do a mission,  you can only bring six skills with you on missions.  So you need to plan out how your group is setup and what skills you will need.

Also the pvp in this game is by far better than anything I have played so far.  I played Daoc,  WOW, Shadowbane,  and SWG and none compare.  When you fight the battles actually take a bit not getting one shotted like in Daoc,  which to me adds a lot more to the fun factor. 

The one thing that bugged me about guild wars at first was the character movement,  but after digging around in options I found that you can deactivate the mouse click and now the game movement is like wow.

You know I was surprised I bought this game because the one time I tried it in beta I really didn't like it.  I think getting out of the newbie area is what makes the biggest difference.  I guess betas are a bad judge for me because I did not like wow in beta but love it now.

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by SoupErman
    Please get your facts straight, expansions will be every 6-9 months, and the first one won't be out till the end of this year. And you can't say that its like a subscription fee when most MMO's have expansions ON TOP of subscricptions.

Fair enough - I guess I was misinformed.

Anyway, it stands to reason that anyone who's into computer games should try out any game that gets above average reviews to see if they like it so this thread is kind of pointless.

Personally I tried it and I didn't like it, but I can definitely see the attraction for FPS players who want a simplistic version of MMORPG-style combat.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

...but I can definitely see the attraction for FPS players who want a simplistic version of MMORPG-style combat.

Same goes for WoW ? ::::12::

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Originally posted by tachgb
    ...but I can definitely see the attraction for FPS players who want a simplistic version of MMORPG-style combat.

Same goes for WoW ? ::::12::

WOW is not as simple as GW.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• sygmassygmas Member Posts: 949

Originally posted by jackman11118
    Originally posted by brihtwulf I would just like to suggest to the fans out there of WoW, that you try Guild Wars. It has alot of similar features to WoW, like fast-paced combat and limited downtime. But it's also unique in its own right and has alot of fun quests and PvP. (Plus, the graphics are better. Just wanted to beat that dead horse a little.) There isn't a subscription fee, so it's worth the run. You'll be glad you did.
    GW isnt any good. it offers nothing new, and the only thing to do is pvp.
    if i wanted to play a rpg, i would play a rpg. if i wanted to play a mmorpg, i would play a mmorpg. i dont need anything inbetween atm.

Neither does WoW, and why do you play WoW? To PVE? I doubt it. I don't play GW nor do I plan to (though I have played it in beta) and I really see no reason to want to keep WoW when GW is out. And from the trends recently, most at least, most sane people feel the same.