Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character Comparisons (Stylized vs Realism)

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I dont care what art style people prefer, just stop saying that Everquest had realistic graphics. It didn't and there should have never been any expectation that EQN would go a realistic route.
  • KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

You said rightly so "as it shipped". I don't know why you don't use the updated model then though.

It's like you're trying to make EQ1 look worse than it actually is.

This is the updated high-elf:

Was that suppose to be looking better ? I dont see a diference.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

Originally posted by evilastro
    I dont care what art style people prefer, just stop saying that Everquest had realistic graphics. It didn't and there should have never been any expectation that EQN would go a realistic route.

I agree, another thing is that you cant really compare those 2 as screenshots. Eq Next Models are few notches above anything else if you include their facial translation to the in game models. What they showed blowed the Eq2 facial translation out of the water.

Not to mention all the moving cloth hair etc with the use of physics.

In my opinion the art style they used is prefect in long term, and Eq never was a dark super realistic game to begin with. So no idea why the supprise. 

Not the mention the visuals are very very similiar to the ones in bioshock Infinite. And who didint like how that game looked ?

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    They are right about SoEmote too. You need cartoon type features to notice. On EQ2 it works great on Frogloks, but other races are barely noticeable.
  • WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

I hope someone will do a similar comparison for male and other models.

This female human ( even if its compared to a EQ 1 female high elf) looks well done. Just hope there will be an option to put a bit more meat on the bones. Would be nice to see some matronly  or indeed well muscled women in case of female warrior types. Not a particular fetish of mine.. but it always seemed wrong that everyone had the same build, no matter what their profesion was.. So that means wiry, frail, skinny or fat males too.

But that damn horse faced kerran has to go.

Originally posted by WW4BW

I hope someone will do a similar comparison for male and other models.

This female human ( even if its compared to a EQ 1 female high elf) looks well done. Just hope there will be an option to put a bit more meat on the bones. Would be nice to see some matronly  or indeed well muscled women in case of female warrior types. Not a particular fetish of mine.. but it always seemed wrong that everyone had the same build, no matter what their profesion was.. So that means wiry, frail, skinny or fat males too.

But that damn horse faced kerran has to go.

I dont mind its face but i think they made it a bit to big. And the huge armor only added to the problem :P

And about body builds, will see. No info about it yet. But problem with body builds depends how they will handle the armor models on characters. And majority of mmos just gives 1 build. Unless its just a texture armor :)

• SkitttlesSkitttles Member Posts: 2

Comparing EQN graphics to say...this: 

Castanic priestess

or this: human slayer

I know a lot of people hate TERA gameplay, but on a strictly graphics to graphics comparison, I'd say there is no contest - and TERA is over a year old.  I put both a human and non-human for comparison's sake.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Need 2 remember though the character models are apha models to begin so they should change to some degree. The biggest problem people seem to have with the char models in EQN are the kerran. Personaly for me it looks to clean and bright doesnt seem like he seen any combat at all in his life hehe if you were to rough em up a little bit fur not as smooth and a bit of dirt/discoulourisation on the fur it would improve it quite a bit imo. Also poportion sizes dont seem to match up i think they need a little resizing and somone posted earlier with the male human characters there proportions dont match up either huge hands and feet and so on, Female human model looks quite fine though the only issues i realy have atm with EQN char models are there poportions dont match up (xcept human female) and they may appear a little to clean in the kerran race there spose 2 be tigers/lion they are well to groomed for that if u ask me especialy with his prince hair due there.

Thats my 2 copper atleast.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350
  • wesmowesmo Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

You said rightly so "as it shipped". I don't know why you don't use the updated model then though.

It's like you're trying to make EQ1 look worse than it actually is.

This is the updated high-elf:

Even uglier on your image... EQN model rules!!!!

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Adokaum

The female body looked relatively okay but now seeing the male models my fears have been confirmed ;( Huge hands, big feet, small heads, that exaggerated superhero look. Not a fan, but I guess since that's what they're going for not much can be done about it other than manning up and getting used to it. 

I still hate the kerra and the other novelty races will most likely follow suit. 

Well, it is possible that the models shown are not the human models but barbarian models, or in-development models.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• SkitttlesSkitttles Member Posts: 2
    @Sahrhyn -- Actually, I already do play TERA, and both of those pictures are of my own characters :P And like I said, I just posted so people could see the difference in graphics quality, not to compare the gameplay.
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by Sengi

hahaha

i almost bursted in laughter :D

I think GW2 hit the nail on the head with the characters.  I do however VERY MUCH like what i've seen about the world of everquest next so far. The GW2 world is amazing and the best on the markted if you ask me ... But i think EQN has the ability to create an ever better looking world.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Skitttles

Comparing EQN graphics to say...this: 

Castanic priestess

or this: human slayer

I know a lot of people hate TERA gameplay, but on a strictly graphics to graphics comparison, I'd say there is no contest - and TERA is over a year old.  I put both a human and non-human for comparison's sake.

Tera has to pull off one trick ...combat....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Personally, i think they went to far the other way with the graphic style, not the world but characters. The Kerra is a freaking  joke, seriously that is so far from the Kerra or Val Shir of EQ1/2 that it's shameful. 

Then you have the pathetic over large armour, seriously it's actually makes me think that this is how an updated version of WOW would look.

We have seen Black Desert so i'll show another mmo.

Originally posted by Sengi

I suddenly have the urge to make a male Kerran when EQN comes out and name him Kimba.

I prefer..

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Its not just the models and textures. Its the POW! SMASH! ZING! WHEE! look of the "combat" animations.

If Bethesda made the next Elder Scrolls with a cartoon artstyle there'd be riots...longtime EQ fans have every right to be put off by it. The more realistic graphics was part of what set EQ apart from WOW.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

Originally posted by Chieftan
    Its not just the models and textures. Its the POW! SMASH! ZING! WHEE! look of the "combat" animations.

If Bethesda made the next Elder Scrolls with a cartoon artstyle there'd be riots...longtime EQ fans have every right to be put off by it. The more realistic graphics was part of what set EQ apart from WOW.

I agree plus i got more thrills watching this combat than EQN.

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Nice comparison, OP !

Looking at those all side-by-side, EQNext gets my vote without a shade of a doubt.

Not against this it doesn't, i would 100% prefer this..

• SahrhynSahrhyn Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Nice comparison, OP !

Looking at those all side-by-side, EQNext gets my vote without a shade of a doubt.

By all means.. I like the look of that game also.  But this is the EQN forum.  Why compare the two, two seperate games targeted to different markets.... or complain how one game looks over another. 

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Nice comparison, OP !

You would prefer this, a game whos graphics requirements are so high that trying to play the game on max settings would set your computer on fire, and attempting to play the game on max settings during a large-scale event would likely result in a small nuclear explosion?

Sure they are impressive, but think of your performance.  More importantly, think of the gameplay.  What do we know of it, other than "no loading screens, weather system, action combat, etc."?  Not much.  For all we know, it is a grindfest like many Korean MMOs tend to be.  Of course, it could also be the exact opposite, but don't make any judgements until you have tried both.

Please, for the love of whatever god you believe in, do not turn this into a TRUKK NOT MUNKY thing.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

Haha, all those asian MMO's look EXACTLY the same. Generic and boring as hell and their graphics aren't "amazing" either.

Give me the style of EQN any day over that

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654

Here is some female characters from FF XIV: ARR and this game is designed to run on the PS3

• EQOAnostalgiaEQOAnostalgia Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Not everyone likes realistic. It's fine in a shooter but i like... idk fantasy style graphics in a fantasy style game. You're going to play it and love it and you know it dude!