Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNext: Stylized Graphics?

DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338

Personally I hate them, I've seen them all over games for the past (insert number here) of years already, so really, this isn't anything new to the table.

BUT the argument for them is that stylized graphics don't age.

I just want to tell you that while the art doesn't age, the playerbase does. And those of us that have the jobs and the money to keep buying and playing a lot of these games are well over and past our cartoon age. If Disney wants to release the next EQ after this, I won't be half surprised at this point.

Edited because I couldn't resist.

This is what us old timers would call the EQ NGE

Comments

• wblastynwblastyn Member Posts: 13

You're never too old for cartoons (The Simpsons, Family Guy, even Disney!) :p

Post-Luclin models were ugly, EQ2 is ugly. Both used "realistic" graphics. 

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I was watching the Live Stream, thinking to myself:

"Well they're taking their time to show EQNext, not sure why they are showing this Disney game first".

Oh well, maybe they're going for a younger more console type audience. They did it once before with Free Realms.

• buckeyebuckeye Member UncommonPosts: 70

^^THIS

Smed is an idiot if he approved this art style. Seriously, how F'en hard is it for them to understand a simply concept that adult gamers don't want to play Disneyesque-model games? Give us realism (like in TESO, Thief, etc.) so we can be immersed. 

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    World graphics good.  Character graphics = wow x2
  • LithiumTeaLithiumTea Member Posts: 16
    Hey Bucknut... don't forget the F2P Scam that all these company's are trying to shove down our throat. Best, Wolverine
    Originally posted by buckeye

^^THIS

Smed is an idiot if he approved this art style. Seriously, how F'en hard is it for them to understand a simply concept that adult gamers don't want to play Disneyesque-model games? Give us realism (like in TESO, Thief, etc.) so we can be immersed. 

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

I thought the NPCs/monsters looked good, and the environments were decent enough.

My only real complaint is that the character models feel straight out of WoW(armor included).

The lighting and day/night cycle were well done, too.

• keinersonersterkeinersonerster Member UncommonPosts: 33
    The world looks amazing.  I'm not a big fan of the kerran model they showed, but the human wasnt too bad.  I really want to see the other models and more mobs up close.
  • LithiumTeaLithiumTea Member Posts: 16

If your gonna play this... Might as well play Wildstar... Or at least give it a shot.

At least they are true to what they are doing.

They wanted to be cartoony... and they seemed to have pulled it off with some interesting characters.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

^^THISSmed is an idiot if he approved this art style. Seriously, how F'en hard is it for them to understand a simply concept that adult gamers don't want to play Disneyesque-model games? Give us realism (like in TESO, Thief, etc.) so we can be immersed. 

I just love how you assume... that everyone feels like you do. I personally have no issue with the graphic style. I would rather have Cartoony graphics and a solid game than High end graphics and a shit game. So unless you know how others truly feel, please don't speak for us.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
    Originally posted by keinersonerster
    The world looks amazing.  I'm not a big fan of the kerran model they showed, but the human wasnt too bad.  I really want to see the other models and more mobs up close.

Yeah, I'm wanting to see some more "regular" mobs.  The usuals, such as goblins, gnolls, orcs, etc.  I'd like to see some regular giants, too.(hill, ice, fire, etc.)

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by loopback1199

Personally I hate them, I've seen them all over games for the past (insert number here) of years already, so really, this isn't anything new to the table.

BUT the argument for them is that stylized graphics don't age.

I just want to tell you that while the art doesn't age, the playerbase does. And those of us that have the jobs and the money to keep buying and playing a lot of these games are well over and past our cartoon age. If Disney wants to release the next EQ after this, I won't be half surprised at this point.

Edited because I couldn't resist.

This is what us old timers would call the EQ NGE

funny thing is.Stylized graphics are aged straight out of the gate.EQN looks like it could have released 5-10 years ago.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Krimzin

^^THIS

I just love how you assume... that everyone feels like you do. I personally have no issue with the graphic style. I would rather have Cartoony graphics and a solid game than High end graphics and a shit game. So unless you know how others truly feel, please don't speak for us.

I agree with this...I don't have an issue with the graphics and think the terrain looks great in fact.I also love how expressive the faces are but wouldn't care if they weren't.

I understand some people can't get past graphics that aren't completely to their tastes but being a gamer I love all types of art styles and don't have an issue.

Now to see if the gameplay and content is worth my time.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Don't get me wrong, I loved EQ, and even EQ2. Some of the features they're marketing whether they'll actually be able to pull it off or not sound interesting, though they've all been done somewhere before, so nothing is really new or groundbreaking here. My gripe is that they took arguably 2 of the best AAA MMO's left in existence and pretty much tanked them and thought this is what their veteran players wanted to look at... more WoW.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by keinersonerster

The problem with Kerran was it looked too friendly  :)

Obviously there will be character customisation so maybe we can build a face that looks a bit more threatening .

The humans look straight out of a Pixar animation movie ,  so I guess they are doing the cartoon right .

Remember cartoons last forever , while realistic looking graphics only last a few years due to technology.

For all we know we will have games that look like we are playing an actual movie with characters that look like true life people.

So making a cartoon is definitely low risk of being outdated .

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

^^THIS

He wasn't speaking for you.  He was speaking for those that feel as he does.  For me, I would rather have a game with more realistic art style AND a solid game.  They are not mutually exclusive.

• rumplemanrumpleman Member UncommonPosts: 34

You guys are not seeing the big picture. They made a calculated choice by going with this art style. This will age beautifully.  You people complain that big companies can't learn from their mistakes. EQ2 was a big mistake graphically as it ages terribly (runs poorly too). Good on SOE for making the right long term decision. 

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I was surprised by the style. Thought that it would be close to Planetside 2 as they use same engine.
    I think the EQ2 graphics look old, not because of the style but because it simply was bad. GW1 was released few months later with much better graphics and it still looks nice even it dont look so cartoony as EQN.
    The EQN graphics is not without charm though.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by rumpleman

You guys are not seeing the big picture. They made a calculated choice by going with this art style. This will age beautifully.  You people complain that big companies can't learn from their mistakes. EQ2 was a big mistake graphically as it ages terribly (runs poorly too). Good on SOE for making the right long term decision. 

Perhaps it's a difference of opinion on what styles suit people, but as far as running poorly? Maybe on AGING HARDWARE. Ran perfectly and then some for me.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I thought EQN was going to take some risks.. not completely copy what everyone else is doing.

Where's the sandbox elements in EQN? I see that a completely different game, EQ Landmark is a sandbox game but EQN just isn't at all. I see dynamic events and that's it. What's new in EQN? Destructible (yet regenerating) environments in an MMO.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

AOC,VG,and EQ2 have aged prefectly fine.

• buckeyebuckeye Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Latronus

^^THIS

He wasn't speaking for you.  He was speaking for those that feel as he does.  For me, I would rather have a game with more realistic art style AND a solid game.  They are not mutually exclusive.

Of course any sane person would want solid game play first and foremost. Gameplay triumphs graphics. But given the time and resources they have pumped into this black-boxed game you would expect you would have both at this stage. Thankfully art is much easier to address. What's troublesome is the fact that SOE decided to run with them. Speaks loudly to who they are trying to target.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Never liked stylized either and it's a big disappointment for me.  The whole argument that real doesn't last compared to stylized I don't buy at all.  Seems like an argument made more accurately in 2004, but now games look real enough to always look good.  Plus if I don't like the way it looks NOW what does it matter anyway.  Big blow, never thought it would look THIS stylized.  Happy some of you are happy about it though.

While, I don't particularly agree that cartoon graphics have some magical aging cream built-in(even cartoony graphics improve and become outdated with new tech), I do agree that it was a wise, calculated choice.

Given the scope of environment destruction and constant changes happening all around you, the last thing you'd want is life-like graphics constantly bogging you down.  I'm sure there'll be enough stress if all their systems are as great as they want to make them sound.

EQ2 was just a badly designed game, in every aspect.  Terrible optimization, funky models, etc.

EQ2 and WoW both released in the 2004/2005-ish era.  And, both of them look terribly outdated and neither really stands up to modern times.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by tank017

none of those games are attempting large destructible worlds with emergent AI either.Of course EQN amy fail at this too,time will tell.

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by tank017

AOC has had TWO MAJOR PASSES at its game engine, VG and EQ2 have aged horribly..... 

This discussion has been closed.