Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: EQN Revealed, World Building "Landmark" Released This Winter

13»

Comments

• QuillimQuillim Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Naral

Regarding the topic, I sort of like this idea, but think it could go VERY badly too. In principle, I think it had potential. And SOE sure as hell is finding a way to save a buck, I will give them that, but I doubt it is their sole motivation. Making the tools for this has to be damn near as labor intensive as designing the world themselves. These tools will have to be bug freeish, and fairly easy to use for the premise they are trying to sell. 

Consider that they're the same tools the developers are using to create game content with. The Voxel technology opens up a lot of possibilities that simply weren't feasible before. You basically can make game areas and items inside the game to be used in the game :>. That's what allows them to extend that ability to the user via Landmark.

Its also probably what brought Titan to a screeching halt, as they were more than likely looking to extend the WoW engine and tools they already had to do Titan, and came to the realization it was old tech with distinct limitations and that the MMO world was changing and evolving underneath them with people getting fed up with railed content.

Make no mistake though, pushing Titan to 2016 was a direct result of SoE. Of that, I have no doubt.

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

So you can minecraft EQ before you play EQ.

I dunno, I've played a lot of player made content over the years, player made things are typically horrible.

I like Minecraft, I like Cubeworld, I think this is a bad idea.

Did they not have enough developers to finish making their own world and had to rely on players to finish or something?

More like they are giving us a layered world we can interact with from the start, throwing in thinking mobs, who will alter their behavior to compensate for things that affect them in the world....so yes they probably had enough to do it and didn't need as many as you might think to do it with the way this system works.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I cannot believe what I am reading. Here SOE is announcing the ultimate sandbox and the posters are knocking it?!! Every game the posters on this site knock - "it is a WOW clone, it is a themepark". Then SOE says that they will deliver what so many have been asking for - and SOE gets static?  I can see now that the problem is obvious - not the games but with the audience.

Personally I will wait and see. Promises are easy - delivery is another story as we have seen over and over and over and over...

• AneovaAneova Member UncommonPosts: 14
    This isn't just a builder that you make free content for. You make a tower for example (their own example during the presentation) Player  B buys said tower and you get a cut of that money AND you get royalties each time that tower is used. This isn't just income for SOE it's potential income for players, once again SOE has given the disabled a helping hand. Cheers SOE

• citadellicitadelli Member Posts: 36

I don't know if could take playing a Disney Movie as a game serious...

Looks like it has some nice features.

But probably going to use their horrible business model "FTP" - NOT

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    It's pretty cool if you ask me. Giving so much design power to the community may just be one of the smartest things a developer has ever done.

I've never gotten into Everquest before. I dont really have a reasln for not. But this one I'm keeping an eye on.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• QuillimQuillim Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by citadelli

Time has borne out that their F2P model is anything but horrible, and has been a godsend in a lot of ways. It has been quite beneficial to keeping both EQ1 and EQ2 alive and kicking, including the funding of continued development. And for those who just don't want to partake in the cashshop, simply pay for monthly gold member access(same mechanic as the old 'sub'), and you have access to all the content. Meanwhile, the influx of people tinkering around off free accounts before going gold, has kept the revenue rolling.

The cashshop is mostly for fluff and you can simply ignore it without trouble if you want.

Rift made pretty much a direct clone of SoE's model with their cashshop.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by vmoped
    Originally posted by museandali

Multiclassing, take some skills to another class:  FFXIV Does this

Half of your skills are tied to the weapons you're using: GW2 does this

Build your own world:  Minecraft lets you do this

Ladies and Gentlemen, nothing new to see here.

Except the combination of the three in one product.

Cheers!

WurmOnline does this but you can use any weapon and wear any armour, Wurm Terraforming is minecraft on steroids.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wurm+online+terraforming&oq=wurm+Online+terr&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0.152.9744.0.12189.16.9.0.7.7.0.489.2776.0j2j3j2j2.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.T1uXEGljpS0

Wurm Online features http://wurmonline.com/about-the-game/

WurmOnline vs Minecraft http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueIzp5w2QzY

Originally posted by citadelli

"Time has borne out that their F2P model is anything but horrible, and has been a godsend in a lot of ways. It has been quite beneficial to keeping both EQ1 and EQ2 alive and kicking, including the funding of continued development. And for those who just don't want to partake in the cashshop, simply pay for monthly gold member access(same mechanic as the old 'sub'), and you have access to all the content. Meanwhile, the influx of people tinkering around off free accounts before going gold, has kept the revenue rolling.

The cashshop is mostly for fluff and you can simply ignore it without trouble if you want.

Rift made pretty much a direct clone of SoE's model with their cashshop."

I paid $50 for GW2, and haven't had to pay a dime more. No monthly options or requirements, and their version of SC is anything but over developed or "forced". I can also wear any piece of gear at any tier in the game and have NO restrictions once i earned it. Pay once and play. I like that way better.  

Similarly SOE requires new expansions to be purchased. And if you don't pay a monthly sub, you can't even wear the gear you earn... Or even had earned and had worn it... ACK. 

So in EQ2 i have a "naked" Kerra running around w/ top tier Raid gear fully adorned and I can't do a thing.

SOE likes to nickle and dime and try everything they can to make more money out of you. They use you instead of trying to rely on what they have and expand a base of loyal customers.

EQN will actually a blatant abuse of this on a few levels. Just wait and see ;-) They already hinted at it. Just don't be suckers.

Me, I'll play a game the way I want and not worry about that $300 i would be paying to SOE or the other bs stuff.

Not to mention my bags are mostly all locked now (they're legendary+), and my bank vaults and I can't use any of my plat, because that's all locked beyond any usable level to buy something as well.

Agree you do need to purchase a few extra bag slots in GW2 with gems(SC=) but the ones I do have can be any type or size. Oh! And I can purchase gems with in game gold...! So no worries there ;-) I also don't have restrictions on people sending me stuff either. Oh my this list could go on....

SOE's game model is simply to welcome in new fair-weather players and hope to soak them for a few dollars before they move on. And reward the vets and loyal fans by trying to find more ways to get money out of them. Then take away everything they invested in over the years if they won't keep paying them money for stuff they had already purchased / earned.

It's just sad.