Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG what has Everquest Next done!!?!???!?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

This forum is going crazy after this EQNext hype.

so many discussions regarding Sandbox's and the PvP requirement in a Sandbox MMO.

all of this based on the fact SoE wants to take EQ, one of the biggest PvE THEMEPARK MMOs in history, and make it into a Sandbox, a genre which had a definition change to meaning FFA PvP MMO were you can kill anybody or anything at any time.

these two ideas and communities are clashing as the date of the reveal sets upon us. I wouldn't be surprised if the forum explodes tomorrow during the reveal.

this is getting crazy!

come on, even you all have to agree with me at least once in your lifetime. How about now?!? 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

EQ, one of the biggest PvE THEMEPARK MMOs in history

You either never played EQ or don't know what a themepark is

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    It's kind of a big deal.
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Who?
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

all of this based on the fact SoE wants to take EQ, one of the biggest PvE THEMEPARK MMOs in history, and make it into a Sandbox

I still can't agree.

From what I hear EQ is staying just as it is and, rather than making EQ into anything it is not, they are making a new game called "Everquest Next" based on the Everquest IP.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    How do you become a "spotlight poster" anyways? I really don't see how the OPs posts are supposed to be any better than anyone else's. Nothing personal...

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Sandbox doesn't necessarily mean FFA-FL-PvP...

Saying it's a "Sandbox" doesn't really mean anything until you see the feature-set and the implementation. Sometimes people even claim a game is a "Sandbox" when it doesn't have anything in common with a sandbox.

I'll believe it when I see it.

[...] so many discussions regarding Sandbox's and the PvP requirement in a Sandbox MMO.all of this based on the fact SoE wants to [...]

Folks have been talking about sandbox features forever on here,,,

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Yeah, I'm hyped about EQ:Next. Can't wait till the info reveal on August 2nd! But I have no preconceived ideas about it. I have no clue how sandboxy it will really be though.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    How do you become a "spotlight poster" anyways? I really don't see how the OPs posts are supposed to be any better than anyone else's. Nothing personal...

You have to have an article that makes it "IN THE SPOTLIGHT" (the thread at the top of the Pub).

Smile

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

This forum is going crazy after this EQNext hype.

so many discussions regarding Sandbox's and the PvP requirement in a Sandbox MMO.

all of this based on the fact SoE wants to take EQ, one of the biggest PvE THEMEPARK MMOs in history, and make it into a Sandbox, a genre which had a definition change to meaning FFA PvP MMO were you can kill anybody or anything at any time.

these two ideas and communities are clashing as the date of the reveal sets upon us. I wouldn't be surprised if the forum explodes tomorrow during the reveal.

this is getting crazy!

come on, even you all have to agree with me at least once in your lifetime. How about now?!? 

All that and just 2 servers to solve the issue.  The end.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Nothing I've posted recently has anything to do with EQN news coming or not coming, I just muse about my nostalgia and my dreamworlds as I always do.  That said, I agree the forum has definitely been a little more ... combative... today.  If EQN is the cause, I hope that actual firm news will restore some sanity.
  • BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by Fendel84M How do you become a "spotlight poster" anyways? I really don't see how the OPs posts are supposed to be any better than anyone else's. Nothing personal...
    You have to have an article that makes it "IN THE SPOTLIGHT" (the thread at the top of the Pub).

The "Spotlight Poster" and "Guide" ranks tend to confuse people.

We ought to have an "IN THE SPOTLIGHT" post explaining that those ranks are trophies to reward people for awesome threads/posts

MMOExposed has made a lot of posts that were interesting to read, I disagreed with him a little bit earlier, but let's not flame him too much for one post, seeing what he and all you other regulars here are talking about is the only reason I visit this site.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Is it just me or have sandboxes been not just a discussion point but a major discussion point in these forums for as far back as I've been here?

EQ Next doesn't seem to have changed anything.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Is it just me or have sandboxes been not just a discussion point but a major discussion point in these forums for as far back as I've been here?

Yes Sandbox been major talk here for a while. But not like its been lately with all this sandbox PvP talk since the big EQNEXT PvP vs PvE debate started. 

Before everything was just THEMEPARK vs sandbox. Now its this sandbox PvP vs sandbox PvE debate.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Yes Sandbox been major talk here for a while. But not like its been lately with all this sandbox PvP talk since the big EQNEXT PvP vs PvE debate started. 

Before everything was just THEMEPARK vs sandbox. Now its this sandbox PvP vs sandbox PvE debate.

people like drama?

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz

This/

Plus going by what Brad has seen and knows over the last few days, EQ and Vanguard players are going to love it.

Anyone who thinks EQN is going to be the PVP game they have been dreaming about all these years will be the ones crying.

The OP is a journeyman threader, to many pointless threads that are full of miss information, take them with a pinch of salt.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Nah, it's more or less the same as with every new MMO. Just a little more intense. As long as there are not many real facts known about the new MMO every faction (PVE'ers, PVP'ers, RP'ers and so on) proclaims that this game "must have feature XYZ or it will FAIL !!!". PVP'ers are the most vocal one usually.

The only difference with EQNext is, that there is so few information available about the game compared to other new games. Must be the best kept secret on the internet at the moment. I mean we know more about the NSA currently than we know about EQNext, don't we ? ;)

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I don't agree.

No one redefined basics of sandbox play...Sure people like to put line sin the sand, but if you asked what a proper themepark was, and then tore apart aspects, you would see that people do not agree what their version of a correct themepark is, or heck, even mmo anymore period....

I do not think a lot of the newer lobby type mmos, as I call them are proper mmos, and need a term to describe them, so people looking for a more traditional or a newer mmo can more easily decide what they would be getting from a title...Not that you can't do it now, but you need to do some research to do so.

So OP, has SoE hyped you up, and you can't help yourself, despite the threads telling others to not fall victim?!

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

I don't want to sound like I am aligned with the OP, cause I think he is a wierdo. But I am interested in this response. Are you saying Everquest wasn't a themepark?

It absolutely was, I played it for a long time. I am a sandbox guy by nature but in the world of Themeparks EQ doesn't get the credit it deserves( or possibly the infamy) for pioneering some of the things in Wow that themeparkers love and Sandboxers hate.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Consequence

I don't want to sound like I am aligned with the OP, cause I think he is a wierdo. But I am interested in this response. Are you saying Everquest wasn't a themepark?

It absolutely was, I played it for a long time. I am a sandbox guy by nature but in the world of Themeparks EQ doesn't get the credit it deserves( or possibly the infamy) for pioneering some of the things in Wow that themeparkers love and Sandboxers hate.

Ummmm I'm going to have to disagree..  EQ was no themepark.. I wouldn't call it a sandbox either.. but it was closer to a sandbox then themepark.. But then I define sandbox as having freedoms of choice, whether it be progression or exploration.. For me themeparks are like a straight line with no getting off the tracks...... Sandboxes are like spider webs, freedom to go down any path I want.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

The next big hope is always a big deal, until they crash and burn. Then we will move onto a new big hope and start ranting about that.

Oh and its not the Reveal that will truly reveal what we are going to get, only the launch will tell us that.

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by Consequence

Ummmm I'm going to have to disagree..  EQ was no themepark.. I wouldn't call it a sandbox either.. but it was closer to a sandbox then themepark.. But then I define sandbox as having freedoms of choice, whether it be progression or exploration.. For me themeparks are like a straight line with no getting off the tracks...... Sandboxes are like spider webs, freedom to go down any path I want.

I don't get it. Everyquest was a straight linear progression. 1 zone was lvl 1-5, the next was 5-10, 10-20...so on and so fourth. The class quest was as linear as they come. The dungeons(back in the ay, cant speak for more recent years) required keys unlocked from pervious dungeons forcing people to go from dungeon 1 to dungeon 2, etc.

The world was not open, it was zones and there were invisible walls all over the place.

The classes were clearly defined and the development within the classes was minimal. Every player of X class was pretty much the same. Every player was Y class was the same, even moreso that Wow.

I mean it was a good game, but these are ALL defining characteristics of themeparks. EQ was the 1st granddaddy of themeparks.

I am getting to the point where I don't even like threads on the topic if themepark vs sandbox because I truly believe people don't understand the characteristics of each. There is just NO way Everquest was a sandbox.  Not even remotely.

Saying it is a sandbox is akin to saying open PVP is a sandbox only feature(as some fools have tried to imply in this thread) which it isn't. I can name a bunch of themeparks that had open PVP and I can name a few sandboxes that didn't.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

I wouldn't call EQ1 either a sandbox or a themepark.

A sandbox to me is a game where you exploit resources / terrain to build structures.

A themepark is a quest-hub driven dungeon crawler.

EQ1 was neither of those, it was purely a virtual world (with a virtual moon).

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Plenty of other conversations over the years have been similarly lengthy (actually much longer) and haven't been related to a particular game.

Honestly EQ Next has barely been mentioned in the 2-3 threads discussing this stuff, so while it's possible the 2-3 OPs were instigated by EQ Next to start each thread it's not like EQ Next has been even mildly significant in the discussions themselves.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• klagmireklagmire Member UncommonPosts: 95

Thing is SOE and or Smedley said---- "It will be a the biggest sandbox game ever" and ALSO---" IT will have a bigger emphasis on PVP"

Those are the only thing known about the game  so far , and its driving people CRAZY!!!!!!!

It just drives the PVE crowd MAD that they would emphasize PVP.

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

• klagmireklagmire Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by klagmire

Thing is SOE and or Smedley said---- "It will be a the biggest sandbox game ever" and ALSO---" IT will have a bigger emphasis on PVP"

Those are the only thing known about the game  so far , and its driving people CRAZY!!!!!!!

It just drives the PVE crowd MAD that they would emphasize PVP.

More like "the full loot FFA PvP crusaders know it's very unlikely that EQ Next will have all its servers full loot FFA PvP, if any, and it drives them crazy!".

Hey man. Im just reiterating what Smedley said. A SANDBOX with EMPHASIS on PVP. Thats aswome.

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.