Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Firefall: Review in Progress #3

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Red 5's Firefall has been in our sights for some time, waiting for the time to play. With the launch of the open beta, that time has arrived and we've started our Review in Progress. This week marks our third installment and we take a look at the process of unlocking content. Read on before heading to the comments.

What are Melding Pockets? Well, if you’ve never played Firefall the term might seem gibberish.  The Melding is a sort of noxious gas that renders large portions of Earth inhabitable.  It’s also where the Chosen seem to stem from, and was accidentally “invited” to Earth when the Arclight crashed into Fortaleza, Brazil. Walk too far into it and you’re toast.  The idea Red 5 has is to let players slowly peel back the Melding through playing the game, unlocking more and more regions of the map (and ergo, more content).  But from the start of the game, you can unlock special additional regions of the world  (Diamond Head, Saragasso Sea, and Antarctica). 

Read more of Bill Murphy's Firefall Review in Progress #3.

Diamond Head, Hawaii as seen in Firefall

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

well bill.

It seems there really sint much to write abt since well- one creates their own journey in the game and you may like doin somethings better than other- and i think theres a handful to choose from.

that said , i was one of the one who did save my resources from last years and sticking to one frame- therefore was able to craft my keys withing 2 weeks.

=)

the pockets are a refreshing addition to the game for those who have played the beach (copa area) for months on end (like me).

antarctica is my favoraite and stands out the most just couse its snow! we love snow!!!!...Red5 had mention these is a slight preview of zone coming soon -so im pretty excited!!!

BWA is pretty much a beefy intro to teh lore of FireFall.

its pretty sweet in term of an instance no big boss techniques to fight=  just pure 'stay alive tactic-keep ur army alive' and fight your way to the main goal! (very Diablo3 mob combatish!!!- mindless fun!)- although, if you may not find it challenging i believe there will be a harder mode in the future!

a few things aside more from arc portals to different towns-lol

more badass bosses dynamic events!  the tornadoes are great- and always a cheap thrill, but soon playerbase will be craving for variety!

something red5 needs to be aware of!, the cheese shouldnt be too far  in the maze.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I'm curious to see how accurate they made Diamond Head since I actually hiked that thing in RL up to the bunker at the top a few years ago.  Or if they just made some random volcanic environment and just called it Diamond Head.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by rodingo
    I'm curious to see how accurate they made Diamond Head since I actually hiked that thing in RL up to the bunker at the top a few years ago.  Or if they just made some random volcanic environment and just called it Diamond Head.

It a giant dome filled with smaller craters and lava.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Well this makes it sounds interesting enough to give it another shot, even if Copa isn't that exciting a playfield.
  • DracogeekDracogeek Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I just made the thing for Hawaii last night. The one for Antartica will be done when I get home tonight. I liked the Hawaii one because sometimes I want to thump by myself and hardly anyone was there. Also liked the change in scenery.
  • ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

"At this point though, I’m just hoping that the devs will give me more fast-travel options soon.  I’d pay plenty of Red Beans to get teleporters to all of the game’s hubs, I’m just saying."

Sorry but Red 5 has said repeatedly that instant travel will be limited and as a convenience item through the cash shop.

They don't want their world being cheapened by making it redundant with click your fingers and you are somewhere Star Trek style.

There already is the arcporter to Copa (which BTW is not the only place a molecular printer is despite the implication in a previous article) and an LGV you can buy with real cash on the Red Bean store (if you are too lazy to save up the crystite to buy the parts for the currently craftable LGV).

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    The world is already redundant. New Eden isn't that big, just tedious to constantly have to go around the mountains, especially when trying to make it from mission to mission. Fast travel in these situations would be a great help. Just saying.
  • ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1
    The world is already redundant. New Eden isn't that big, just tedious to constantly have to go around the mountains, especially when trying to make it from mission to mission. Fast travel in these situations would be a great help. Just saying.

The mountains that you can't easily get over by jump jets are not that big to around even sprinting.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Firefall is super fun so far. Been playing a cpl weeks and am having a blast. Great game, hope it lives up to its potential.