Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When she takes interest in gaming...

2»

Comments

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by niiniichan
    What will you do and recommend when your completely noob girlfriend/boyfriend ask you to play MMORPG with her?.

Say 'hell ya'. And recommend one that's closest to both your interests.

Best answer there... Would be kinda lame if you like space and play EVE and your gf/bf is totally into fantasy and you ask her/him to play EVE as well ;)

Then there are those who could not care less about whether it is or isn't space or fantasy, but instead focuses completely on the game mechanics themselves.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

SWG pre cu would have been great, I think.

Due to the many options and professions.

A lot of female gamers loved SWG pre cu and even the eras that followed.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

Girls like there to be no area of their guys life they are not involved in, where as we are quite happy to let them go of and do their own thing.

I saw a great sketch that illustrated this on "Katy Brand's Big Arse Show" where she is torn between the advice from two women's magazines. One said she needs to take part in all her guy's activities, the other that she should relax and let him do his own thing. The moral of the story here was don't base your life on what they say in magazines, make your own mind up.

You don't have to like what your partner likes, this is a concept guys seem happier to accept. You don't have to be clones, a relationship does not require that and is not going to be happier if you are. Some shared interests are good in a relationship, but becoming interested in something because your partner is can lead to problems.

Talk it through with her, maybe there is something else you both like you can do together?

Most importantly, don't take the advice you read in magazines or from a random guy on the internet like me. Think it through for yourself and discuss it with your partner.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    You can use their newfound interest to farm you items, be a meat shield/bait in pvp, all sorts of fun stuff! Lucky for me my husband loves pvp but he's very reckless and about as adept at tactics as paris hilton. This is great fun for games with owpvp. He loves it, I love it, we get along great.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Scot

The moral of the story here was don't base your life on what they say in magazines, make your own mind up.

(...)

What would you base your life on? Only one's own biased and narrow view with lackluster experience?

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Great thread for identifying the females on the forums though OP.  Kudos!!

All of a sudden everyone is sending forum mail LOL.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    What will you do and recommend when your completely noob girlfriend/boyfriend ask you to play MMORPG with her?

Kiss your sex life goodbye?

Oh, you meant that as a rhetorical question.

Very true looking at this BBT episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6W1hWdmKZo

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,048
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    [mod edit]

May be the OP means it like Rumpole does .

Chamber of Chains
  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

For a completely newbie in the mmorpg world i would pick something simple, flashy and polished like  Guild Wars 2

While it´s not my MMO of choice, Gw2 is colorful, polished, simple and easy to get into.

Furthermore, you do not need to waste all that money on subscriptions and can always go back to it if she wants.

Once her gaming confidence rises and her taste about mmorpgs is defined, then you can choose a more advanced MMO.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

For a completely newbie in the mmorpg world i would pick something simple, flashy and polished like  Guild Wars 2

While it´s not my MMO of choice, Gw2 is colorful, polished, simple and easy to get into.

Furthermore, you do not need to waste all that money on subscriptions and can always go back to it if she wants.

Once her gaming confidence rises and her taste about mmorpgs is defined, then you can choose a more advanced MMO.

Why are you suggesting female gamers need to be hand-held? I know plenty of girl gamers where there first games where sandbox ones and they loved them.

Smile

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Then there are those who could not care less about whether it is or isn't space or fantasy, but instead focuses completely on the game mechanics themselves.

To the exclusion of, well, life.

Encouraging your girlfriend to buy the same crack from the same dealer...

Isn't there a special circle in the Inferno reserved for Panderers? Eighth Circle, Bolgia 1: Panderers and seducers march in separate lines in opposite directions, whipped by demons. Satan don't play!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I would recommend something polished, but it doesn't have to be simple. Nothing puts newcomers off more than poor UI and technical issues.

In other words, steer clear from indie games. And don't buff his/her expectations. And for the love of god, let him/her explore and discover the game himself/herself.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm not sure I would care to have a girlfriend as infested in gaming as myself.  Luckily despite all this I read about how many women game, i have yet to come across all these woman I guess.  I suppose I live in the stereotypical world where most women dislike gaming then.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    [mod edit]

May be the OP means it like Rumpole does .

Maybe the OP only dates women? image

People can't seem to take posts like this in the proper context, they always seem to see some deeper hidden meaning like the poster is a sexist, or racist or something.

Not everything posted in an internet gaming forum is a political statement, but some folks exist just to pick fights over perceived slights that just really aren't there.

As for good beginner games, I'll go with something like WOW if P2P is on the plate, EQ2, TSW, or even LotRO if not.  Rift would be a decent choice as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Scot

The moral of the story here was don't base your life on what they say in magazines, make your own mind up.

(...)

What would you base your life on? Only one's own biased and narrow view with lackluster experience?

Thinking about your own life actually works rather well, it is your life that concerns you after all. Speak to your friends rather than eat and regurgitate what they tell you in magazines. I know too many girls who seem to base their relationships on "10 ways to tell you were made for each other." I am not saying you cannot get any good advice from a magazine, but they are full of so much nonsense that it is very hard to see the wood for the trees.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    I've never had a GF that had any itnerest in gaming at all and they all have disliked that I played.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

" Sigh " What the hell is she upset about now ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by NagelRitter
    Originally posted by Sovrath

If I were you and I had a girlfriend who expressed ANY interest in gaming I'd faint dead away. Seriously, in all my years the closest I could come was a girlfriend who liked Myst.

Sometimes i wonder if people like yourself and people like myself exist in some sort of uncrossable vacuums.

Where I am gamer girls are no big deal at all and nobody cares about them. o.O

lol, in my life there are no gamer girls. Well not exactly true, I do have a female friend who likes games like bazinga and snood and the only other video game she likes is left 4 dead.

Maybe we ARE in different dimensions.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    What will you do and recommend when your completely noob girlfriend/boyfriend ask you to play MMORPG with her?.

Start downloading and installing lots of F2P titles. Let her/him/it find one they like. Play that one with them, and play your "other" MMO on the side, or play with her on the side.

Doubtfull she will jump in with both feet, so I would expect her to keep it casual.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by MangaMaiden

I find it funny how you guys are treating her as some sort of idiot from another planet (no offense). Be it man or woman and whatever game, just take them through the tutorial and they are fine. Does not take much of a brain to get through most games these days.

As a female gamer I do find it annoying how guys immediately assume I won't know anything the moment I try a game... Or is this more of an age issue and you feel she needs to be held by the hand? o.0

I think your statement is more about "you" than anything else.

No one is treating her like an idiot.

But in my general experience, people who don't play video games (let alone mmo's) tend to pick them up slowly but steadily.  more so games like shooters or rts, etc. Not so much games like angry birds or snood.  For instance I've tried to show friends WASD movement (man or woman) and they have a hard time with it. Some pick it up and some never do.

When I teach someone to play chess I don't put all the pieces on the board, give them a tutorial and tell them to "have at it".

I work only a few pieces at a time, give them limited goals such as use your bishop and rook to put my king in check in x moves, etc.

From there I allow them to build on their understanding of not only the moves but also small goals and tactics.

Then depending on how they learn one can amp it up a notch.

If the guys you are hanging out with are treating you like an idiot then "that's just the guys you hang out with".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo