Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"You people" havent learned your lesson yet....

TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

you cant have a positive attitude towards a game that is coming out. the haters will come....and that's bad news.

Comments

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Haters are posting more than fans. It's still free advertising for EQN.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

Originally posted by Tygranir

you cant beat free adverts with a stick mate !!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I've been critical of every AAA MMO of the last 7 years. Most lies and failures I've been able to call years ahead of time.

EQN just doesn't have enough information for me to be able to make a judgement beyond cautiously optimistic. From what we've seen, and what Smed has said over the last 2 years, they are absolutely marketing it to the veteran MMO fans (and potentially, new fans as well), though the art style looks like shit. But, given all that has been said, and given that Smed isn't a moron and can tell that themeparks don't work, I think we're in for a treat, with some features we don't really like.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I suppose you learned nothing from SWTOR, or any other game you love & hate at the same time.

Criticize the games you hate, those games will become popular.

Inside you have a passion to love the game, outside you hate .. the overall effect is furthering the brand name.

By your post, I really want to play EverQuest Next!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• LemacsLemacs Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Sad to say but themeparks do work. They may suck but they do make money.

UO-EQ1-SWG-DAOC-WOW-EQ2-WAR-GW2-RIFT

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    You people? YOU PEOPLE? What do you mean YOU PEOPLE?!
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by TheHavok

First thought in my head was "Which people?"

The mysterious You People have sooooooo much to answer for! Heads will roll!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Lemacs

Really? That's why two of Funcom's partners went bankrupt after AoC released? That's why after TSW imploded they declared they weren't making any MMOs? That's why SWTOR died so hard it dropped EA stocks, made the two founders of Bioware retire, and broke Mythic? That's why STO, SWTOR, Rift, and many others had to merge servers, fire developers, and then go FTP?

There are very few successful themeparks. GW2 the only recent one.

• DrelkagDrelkag Member UncommonPosts: 56

When Smedley mentioned the game was a sandbox, that was enough hype for me. Norrath is one of the best gaming worlds to get lost in - it's mostly how they do the varied races, better than any other MMO IMO, and I like the high fantasy feeling that isn't too childish.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by Tygranir

Please point me to these haters. Because I see more PvP vs PvE fights here. Wouldn't call ether a hater of EQNEXT.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Icewhite

First thought in my head was "Which people?"

The mysterious You People have sooooooo much to answer for! Heads will roll!

the only ones i fear more are Them and They. terrible creatures. always 'saying' and 'doing'.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Coz no one else bit....

"What DO YOU mean "What do you mean YOU PEOPLE?!?!?!""

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

as far as the OPs topic i will once again the wise words of the sage Bill Nye:

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ZanagiZanagi Member Posts: 30
    He's just mad that they sold out of pre-Soe Live tickets and didn't get one. OMG!!! Speaking of that I have a plane to catch!! SOE LIVE HERE I COME!!
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I'm here to crush all your dreams and harvest the salty water that fall from your eyes! Bwuahshaahaa
  • LemacsLemacs Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Really? That's why two of Funcom's partners went bankrupt after AoC released? That's why after TSW imploded they declared they weren't making any MMOs? That's why SWTOR died so hard it dropped EA stocks, made the two founders of Bioware retire, and broke Mythic? That's why STO, SWTOR, Rift, and many others had to merge servers, fire developers, and then go FTP?

I would still say yes they do work. Don't get me wrong I want a sand box/park game.

For example: I play Rift now, people that I play with are all ways buying crap from the store. mounts, extra this and that. I know for a fact they will not be playing this game in 6 months top, but yet they spend money on the items.

If you want we can forget WOW one of the biggest themepark rides ever.

Just saying not every game is going to make it, if it sucks then it sucks and people will not play.

but to say "There are very few successful themeparks." implies that themeparks don't work and is just not true.

You could also say the sandbox mmo's don't work either. How many of them can you list that failed all most out of the box.

Just a few off the top of my head Mortal Online, Darkfall & Fallen Earth no mass pops in them games. That is if we are talking about success because population in game. I am sure there are people that would say the games I listed are not failures.....................

UO-EQ1-SWG-DAOC-WOW-EQ2-WAR-GW2-RIFT

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    I'm enjoying the anticipation and build up and very excited to see what they have to offer, while still fully aware and accepting of the possibility that they could unveil a game that completely turns me off. Doesn't hurt to be positive provided you can manage you're expectations.
  • Princess.ClaudePrincess.Claude Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I remain cautiously optimistic, but i have no expectation either way. But as a current homeless mmo player, i'd love to see something awesome :)
  • itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

It wont matter how well this whole unveiling is. People will still complain 100% chance.

If its not 100% Free For All and/or Full loot PVP people will complain.

If its not 100% Sandbox where players can go and do as they please without limitations people will complain.

If its a certain model(B2P,F2P,Sub bases) people will be upset and complain.

That's just for the games core features. Then you will have all those gamer's who plan vacations from work for the first week or two just so they can level as fast as possible so four weeks in they can complain about lack of content. It's a lose lose situation for creators of MMO's. No matter what they do or say people will complain about something.

• QuorinaQuorina Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

They didn't fail because they were themeparks, they failed because they were mediocre games. SWTOR for example, once had 1.7 million subscribers. Not once did I see someone say they quit because it was a themepark, but because of other issues they had, namely lack of end-game, which kills a themepark experience.

Fact is, and this may sting, is that the sandbox experience is appealing only to a niche market.  Most people do not mind a good themepark experience. Say what you will about these people, you're going to, anyway.

Speaking of success, perhaps you'd like to tell us about all these successful sandbox games? Only one I can think of that is remotely successful is EvE online, and even that has about 300k subscribers. But please, we're dying to know about all these successful sandbox games, especially the ones that are more popular than RIFT, SWTOR, WoW and GW2.

We're waiting.