Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archeage will not have game mechanic changes in its "westernization" proccess

maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

I think people afraid of Trion dumbing down the game to west release can now breath easy.

"(...)Nichols also explained that “Westernization” will be minimal, and done only to improve usability/understanding of mechanics based on conventions western players have grown accustomed to differing from those usual to Korean gamers.

We should not expect features exclusive to the NA/EU release or sweeping changes to game mechanics, while we can expect small tweaks to the way some existing features function. The developer is also working to make sure that as many of the new features added to the game since the Korean launch as possible will make it into the western launch as well"(...).

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/23/trion-worlds-talks-archeage-1000000-words-localization-westernization-and-closed-beta/

Comments

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165

There is a dire need of change for western release if they really want it to be something else than just a mediocre mmo. They will definitely need to implement a PvP server. Something like this would need a lot of work from xlgames though since Trion is only a publisher. About dumping down the Koreans are doing a great job with that already so I doubt they will have to change anything.

Only change for now that I know is that Ferre class is named Firran in Western release.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The game is already great but it is the pvp that bothers me.IMO this game is really going to struggle not because of the game but because it is a foreign entity trying to sell in NAmerica.

If not for the housing and Castle pvp,i would have played this game for sure,it is every bit as good as any game out there.

Problem of course is not knowing if a cash shop game,that is the real big question.If they go cash shop "HUGE mistake"they have a bunch of free loaders and very few spenders,at least with subscription they will know exactly what they have.

IMO this game should be massive,like 100+ servers but i am going on a limb and saying just because it is not blizzard or SOE or Square it will only have but a handful of servers.No biggie,you still play with the same amount of players you would if 5000 servers.

The good news for those who do decide to play is that the game will not die,it will always have it's korean base keeping it strong and improving.However only a handful of servers in N.America might not see it last past the publishing contract,but then again,lot's of other potential takers.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by inporylemQQ
    There is a dire need of change for western release if they really want it to be something else than just a mediocre mmo. They will definitely need to implement a PvP server. Something like this would need a lot of work from xlgames though since Trion is only a publisher. About dumping down the Koreans are doing a great job with that already so I doubt they will have to change anything.Only change for now that I know is that Ferre class is named Firran in Western release.

How would a PvP server be different from how the game currently operates? It's an OW PvP game with factions. You can even attack or steal from people in your own faction.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by lizardbones

There is a dire need of change for western release if they really want it to be something else than just a mediocre mmo. They will definitely need to implement a PvP server. Something like this would need a lot of work from xlgames though since Trion is only a publisher. About dumping down the Koreans are doing a great job with that already so I doubt they will have to change anything.

Only change for now that I know is that Ferre class is named Firran in Western release.

How would a PvP server be different from how the game currently operates? It's an OW PvP game with factions. You can even attack or steal from people in your own faction.

He's talking about the million and 1 safe zones the Korean version has. It makes it hard for Pirates to operate when there are safe zones all over the place and trade runs can be done without any penalty.

There shouldn't be a single safe zone if you are talking about faction PvP. Faction PvP should be everywhere. Make it possible to leave the faction or remove the retarded forced factions altogether to get rid of this problem. Let the people PvP who enjoy that and for the rest of the people safe zones would apply. People keep saying ocean is open pvp, but do they really have any idea how hard it's actually find anyone in there or are people ready to PvP only in the areas that are in the middle of nowhere? Wouldn't it be funny to PvP where ever you want if you see your enemy?

Originally posted by Kumapon
    There is a dire need of change for western release if they really want it to be something else than just a mediocre mmo. They will definitely need to implement a PvP server. Something like this would need a lot of work from xlgames though since Trion is only a publisher. About dumping down the Koreans are doing a great job with that already so I doubt they will have to change anything.Only change for now that I know is that Ferre class is named Firran in Western release.

He's talking about the million and 1 safe zones the Korean version has. It makes it hard for Pirates to operate when there are safe zones all over the place and trade runs can be done without any penalty.

Rather than have players focus on small scale PvP or harassing individuals, they want players assaulting keeps. It takes a significant investment to build things like keeps and I imagine it would take a big investment to take one. Making the small scale stuff easier ensures that the large scale stuff will happen.

Originally posted by Kumapon

Rather than have players focus on small scale PvP or harassing individuals, they want players assaulting keeps. It takes a significant investment to build things like keeps and I imagine it would take a big investment to take one. Making the small scale stuff easier ensures that the large scale stuff will happen.

Sieges are once a week for 2 hours.... and it's not like you can't have mass PvP in somewhere else too. It's just sad the places you can fight your enemies are limited, they are your enemies after all.

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Kumapon Originally posted by lizardbones Originally posted by inporylemQQ There is a dire need of change for western release if they really want it to be something else than just a mediocre mmo. They will definitely need to implement a PvP server. Something like this would need a lot of work from xlgames though since Trion is only a publisher. About dumping down the Koreans are doing a great job with that already so I doubt they will have to change anything.   Only change for now that I know is that Ferre class is named Firran in Western release.
    Sieges are once a week for 2 hours.... and it's not like you can't have mass PvP in somewhere else too. It's just sad the places you can fight your enemies are limited, they are your enemies after all.

I'm totally guessing here, based on here say and the mechanics I'm aware of, but it seems like they had to choose between making the larger scale mechanics very possible, or having the usual OW PvP. Players could prevent sieges, boat building and siege preparation from happening in the first place with general open world PvP, or players could have sieges, build boats and prepare for sieges, but in order to do it, most trade routes and farming for supplies had to be pretty safe.

Of course, this makes sense to me, because I'm running with the information that's in my head. The videos I saw for AA included large scale exciting castle sieges, groups running doing boring quests, people pulling catapults out of their pockets with six guys to push it around and boats fighting sea monsters, but almost nothing on small scale PvP. Some other videos of people building things like houses and boats showed that the mechanics relied on a lot of resources or groups of people. Making sure all the stuff they advertised happens might require that trade routes and farming are pretty safe occupations, even if they aren't all that exciting.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Scheduled keep fights ? If that in the game my interest falls from an #8 of 10 to a #1.
  • dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    Scheduled keep fights ? If that in the game my interest falls from an #8 of 10 to a #1.

Were you expecting to be able to siege them while the inhabitants were asleep?

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Dark Age of Camelot..IMO the best faction vs faction game ever made ...now 11 years old...has 24/7 keep and tower fights on the "frontier".Always has been this way.

so...yes 24/7 is exactly what I expected when there is a war and not some arena like  scheduled event

Since when are real wars scheduled ?

Scheduled fight's will not be in ESOL either(of course the director of ESOL....was also a leader in the development of DAOC).

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

Dark Age of Camelot..IMO the best faction vs faction game ever made ...now 11 years old...has 24/7 keep and tower fights on the "frontier".Always has been this way.

so...yes 24/7 is exactly what I expected when there is a war and not some arena like  scheduled event

Scheduled fight's will not be in ESOL either(of course the director of ESOL....was also a leader in the development of DAOC).

There is some "little" differences between RL and mmorpgs that make things hard to implement in the second. One of them is the availability of time to defend your keep 24/7. Since players cant play all the time (the most no-life maniacs needing at least sleep, eat and piss/poop), there should be some mechanic to give them the possibility of defend their keeps without the need of be playing 24/7 and also give them some time to enjoy the benefits of owning a keep, what is needed to incentive them to want have one in the first place.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Is that with ESO confirmed?

Let me put it like this: If you do have 24/7 raiding, all your castles, cities or towers can not be worth a lot. Because everyone can raid it at night with no whatsoever defender within a very short time.

If the castles, cities, towers are not worth anything, it isn't really worthy to raid it in the first place, there is not a lot of meaning in raiding. That was one problem of DAoC.. not a lot of guilds/alliances really fortified their castles, because all the money, all the work was gone anyways over night.

And so everyone instead zerged in Emain Macha.. not that this wasn't fun. But the Keeps really lost meaning.

Just 2 things did left some meaning for keeps. To open up Darkness Falls or to raid Relics. But that just meaned a common accomplishment to raid as many keeps as fast as possible, before your enemy realized.

With other words.. 24/7 Castles, Cities don't work.

But to have just once a week a preset raid, and only sunday, and only for 2 hours is really not enough.. To call it even a pvp game is rather hard to do. Because 2 hours in a week, is everything?

So you really have to find some middleground. To make Keeks/Castles/Cities attackable as long as anyhow possible, without make them vulnerable to midnight attacks with no defenders available.

On a side note. I think any pvp system should have pvp in different scale, and have it available more or less all the time. You don't want to run 24/7 with hundreds of players.. sometimes a battle between 30vs30 is fun. And sometimes a smaller little fight of 5vs5 is fun. A good pvp game should have mechanismn to make all possible scale of pvp available and fun.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Ryzom has the best mechanism on declaring Sieges IMO with also respects RL.

You can declare anytime for anytime in the future but not before the next 24 hours.  That means a defender has min 24 hours warning and preparation time.

But it doesn't stop here. There is also a threshold mechanism a attacker need to meet aka abjective to fullfill to make his attack successfully .  After the threshold is meet  and prior the attack timer ends a defender can setup a second phase for the siege which starting time  has to be within next 24 hours and with the right to counter and tackle the threshold the attacker set.

This gives IMO the best balanced system for attackers and defenders to various tactics like declare for any time with short or long notice and good preparation and defenders given the opportunity to counter in a second  phase if  cought off guard and for cases the attack was for example  at 3:00 - 5:00 am at their timezone.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

i ll bite here.

Schedule makes outa a attack from thiefs and and a bunch of bandits a  real war between 2 regular armies.

Like in RL if there is no formal declaration it feels like theft and cheap tactics whereas a war with formal declaration wich states when and why and which condition has to be meet is the real thing and war.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67

I was so looking forward to playing Archeage, but nowadays I think it is a sinking ship...or a sunken ship if you want so.

A year ago it all sounded so great, but then the dumbing down for the casuals started.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I still hope they can get rid of cars and swimsuits..........it is not game mehanics, so they have no excuses.