Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You all haven't learned your lesson yet

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
After all these years after vanilla WoW many of you still have not learned your lesson yet on how to control the hype. You guys are just a glutton for punishment. So I'm here just to remind you guys that you guys need to keep the hype down, perhaps bring you down a notch or 5.  Since vanilla WoW most mmos have been average or failed miserably because between the media and players you guys hype mmos to the extreme and then when mmos fail you guys just keep on asking for more punishment. All I am saying is just relax until we see some solid gameplay and details come our way. I know because the first time Sony announces something the mmo community does not like then EQN will be the worst mmo of all time. Relax my brothers, just let EQN happen and lets watch with open eyes and listen carefully to what is going to be happening. Good luck because you're going to need it!

Comments

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

I'm afraid hype is only natural, it's in every aspect of life and you can't just ask or wish people would "decrease" hype since there is no value associated with it.

Best thing to do, as with most things in life, is to ignore it and get on with your life.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    You mean to tell me that I am not going to get my sandbox, crafting driven, dark nights, necromancer, limited actionbar, open world raids, seamless world, grinding for rare items, auction house trading based, stylized, PS4 version, dynamic, amazing lore, awesome combat system, great environment, astounding music, jaw-dropping voice acting, MMORPG?
  • Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Unlike most MMO's this one "shouldn't" be a WOW clone(based on what we know so far) and since its Everquest it means a lot to old school players like myself.  Im excited more because its EQ then the fact it will be a sandbox MMO, even without knowing anything about it but at the end of the day I wont be playing an EQ WOW clone.  The question is will they pull off a sweet game that brings something  new to the MMO table for a change
  • IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Being excited about something means we can't control our hype? I disagree, but I appreciate your concern.
  • Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    If Jesus were an mmo, he would be EQN. It's the 2nd coming.
  • NadiliNadili Member Posts: 197
    I enjoy even the games that fail miserably because there is always something that can be taken away from them.  Lessons learned are as important as a game that does well.  

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    After all these years after vanilla WoW many of you still have not learned your lesson yet on how to control the hype. You guys are just a glutton for punishment. So I'm here just to remind you guys that you guys need to keep the hype down, perhaps bring you down a notch or 5.  Since vanilla WoW most mmos have been average or failed miserably because between the media and players you guys hype mmos to the extreme and then when mmos fail you guys just keep on asking for more punishment. All I am saying is just relax until we see some solid gameplay and details come our way. I know because the first time Sony announces something the mmo community does not like then EQN will be the worst mmo of all time. Relax my brothers, just let EQN happen and lets watch with open eyes and listen carefully to what is going to be happening. Good luck because you're going to need it!

I've played EQ since 2000. I pre-ordered EQ2 and never regretted it. I currently have 3 active SOE All Access Pass subscriptions. I seriously have nothing to lose if EQNext flops. I'll play it with an open mind. If it sucks, I'll easily admit it, if it's good, I'll admit that as well.

Where a lot of the forum posters on this site go wrong is with new IP's getting hyped with the locust mentality. I don't have that mind set. I still play EQ1 13 years later. Needless to say, I am eagerly awaiting the news on EQNext, I'm positive some of the info will be disappointing, but I'm sure some of it will also be very refreshing.

What I have really noticed is quite a few posters on this forum are really trying to drive people away from EQNext for whatever reason they have, be it viral marketing or they just want people to like their own game. Let the players be hyped and go hang out watching your game. Simple concept, yet so hard for quite a few people.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Hype is just part of the natural order of things, and you can't mess with the natural order things. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!  It's kind of fun to watch the newbies go through the whole thing but what grinds my gears is the long term posters who do the same thing game after game after game for years and then generally are the first to make the "I was wrong" threads when everybody realises the game they where hyping is not the second coming at all and smells like pant's.  They are either the greatest trolls that mankind has ever seen or swimming at the shallow end of the worlds smallest gene pool.......Or possibly both at the same time.  I digress, point here is Hype=Natural. Grab your popcorn and put your feet up. Sometimes it's better than telle :)
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

I hope you are joking.  If not, do me a favor and sign your life insurance over to me please. 

• LaiquendiLaiquendi Member Posts: 73

Yea, now that I think about it, you are so right.   How about you and I do this. 

Lets leave these forums for, a month.  Then come back and check it out.  This way, we are not letting them control our hype like you said, ok? 

OK, 1.... 2..... 3!  GO!

Did he leave?  

BACK ON THE HYPE TRAIN!!!  ----  TOOOOOT    TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I haven't image
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

The hype train has not been going long. The less credible info out there, the less we can actually be let down by.

This very quiet development has I think been one of the best things a company can do.

I waited and waited in the past for games from companies that hyped this function or that mechanic and was let down several times.

They really don't have to live up to anything at this moment and time to attract people.

We are literally talking 1 day from now before all the info will start pouring in about the game. Until then it's all hype and hope and skeptics....

We will all be watching or reading about all the goodies soon for better or worse. I am happy to not have a long wait. They supposedly are far in the development so I think most of what they will be discussing in the several day conference will be accurate and informative about their vision for the Next EQ. And based on that...many will play and some will not.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

we need help

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

I've read lots of EQN/SOE interviews and I do not believe that Smedley and cie are the one who are building the hype. First, with the lack of knowledge everyone is basically building his own "dream" MMO and applying it to EQN. This is what is creating the hype, not SOE.

Second, Smedley and Georgeson have been careful to say that people should keep an open mind about the game because it's so different. This is called lowering expectations...it doesn't seem to work much though.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
  • giga1000giga1000 Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

3rd actually :P 

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

someone best described anticipation:

“Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.” 

:)

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• giga1000giga1000 Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by spookydom
    Hype is just part of the natural order of things, and you can't mess with the natural order things. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!  It's kind of fun to watch the newbies go through the whole thing but what grinds my gears is the long term posters who do the same thing game after game after game for years and then generally are the first to make the "I was wrong" threads when everybody realises the game they where hyping is not the second coming at all and smells like pant's.  They are either the greatest trolls that mankind has ever seen or swimming at the shallow end of the worlds smallest gene pool.......Or possibly both at the same time.  I digress, point here is Hype=Natural. Grab your popcorn and put your feet up. Sometimes it's better than telle :)

Hehe Ghostbusters.

• kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229

Personally, I see nothing wrong with looking forward to a game and buying into the hype, if just a little bit.  It is after all, just a game. I favor the optimistic viewpoint where MMO's/ hype is concerned.  I'd rather believe what they are selling is true and accurate.  To me, this beats being a pessimistic negative Nancy.

Ultimately, I play these type games to help take my mind off of reality for a while. Much like reading a book or watching a movie.  My optimistic viewpoint stems from the way I handle real life.  As such, I always try to see the glass half-full.  I always try to look on the positive side of things.  I always try to find the good in something or someone.

But I know different.

I don't sleep with my trusty Glock .45 every night cause everything is all fairy-tales and bunny rabbits.  I know the reality of it all is the world is a shitty, cruel place.  Always has been, always will be.  And it is full of shitty, cruel people who love to tear down more than to build up. 

With all the fucked up things going on in the world today.. we're lucky to sit around and pass judgement over whether our hobbies and leisure pursuits warrants pessimism or optimism. So if they EQN is nothing but hype - so what.  Who cares?  I just move on to the next hype train and hope it pays off.

/meh

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    When people post stuff like this I always wonder: Who is "you guys"?

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• ManakarManakar Member UncommonPosts: 110

Oh I've learned my lesson.. Look at my join date.. I've played MMOs since the EQ and Asherons call days.. I.ve beta tested and/or played almost every MMOs that have came out since.. At least the well known ones.. I learned a long time ago. I don't know how many MMOs where I was apart of beta and said this game will go F2P within a year and all the fanboys hated me and told me I was wrong and sure enough the game goes F2P and ends up with a very small player base..

A recent MMO that I was in beta and said this was SWTOR.. I know to wait and see what the full game is like and to see what the endgame is like.. I am hopeful with EQN but more times than not MMOs end up being a failure..

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    we learned nothing
  • killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by krulux

Personally, I see nothing wrong with looking forward to a game and buying into the hype, if just a little bit.  It is after all, just a game. I favor the optimistic viewpoint where MMO's/ hype is concerned.  I'd rather believe what they are selling is true and accurate.  To me, this beats being a pessimistic negative Nancy.

Ultimately, I play these type games to help take my mind off of reality for a while. Much like reading a book or watching a movie.  My optimistic viewpoint stems from the way I handle real life.  As such, I always try to see the glass half-full.  I always try to look on the positive side of things.  I always try to find the good in something or someone.

But I know different.

I don't sleep with my trusty Glock .45 every night cause everything is all fairy-tales and bunny rabbits.  I know the reality of it all is the world is a shitty, cruel place.  Always has been, always will be.  And it is full of shitty, cruel people who love to tear down more than to build up. 

With all the fucked up things going on in the world today.. we're lucky to sit around and pass judgement over whether our hobbies and leisure pursuits warrants pessimism or optimism. So if they EQN is nothing but hype - so what.  Who cares?  I just move on to the next hype train and hope it pays off.

/meh

ouch,  i truly feel sorry for you man,  so bitter:/

believe it or not there are places in the world where all your neighbors are friendly, go out of their way to help you when you need help,  where if you forget to lock your house or vehicle up you  dont go crazy with worry , and the best part is most the bad guys seem just to attack each other, lol. and in the news the past week , people all over alberta are paying it forward.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Dude! its everquest! they got years mmorpg experiement.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by NagelRitter
    When people post stuff like this I always wonder: Who is "you guys"?

Pretty much everyone on these forums.

We are all largely responsible for games getting hyped way out of normal. We're all guilty of taking information given to us, and then assuming well beyond what was actually said. We're all guilty of accusing games of 'lying to us', even when they actually haven't. And we're all guilty of letting our excitement of new games get the better of us.

Some of us have learned from this, and learned to keep our excitement in check. Some of us have learned to actually listen to what's being promised, to put it in perspective, and actually come out with a reasonable expectation of what a game will be. Some of us have learned patience; to wait until there's an actual product before buying into anything said. To hold off on that pre-order, or collector's edition until we know a game will be something we enjoy. Some of us have learned to tell the difference between a shortterm and longterm MMO. Some of us have learned to have fun with a game for what it is, not what your imagination wants to exist.

Most people on this site are still learning these lessons, though.