Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if...

NadiliNadili Member Posts: 197

EQN is truly a innovation in the genre.  SoE did it with the original at points in development it was called Neverquest, Smed was told this thing would never work.   Making consumers buy video cards to actually be able to play a game was unheard of.  Personally I am guardedly optimistic and have in the past sworn off SoE for good.

The other issue is will people actually accept true innovation it seems no matter where these dev teams do they are wrong I feel for them sometimes.  I could honestly see SoE pushing the limits of needing some new kind of hardware to run EQN be it Occulus Rift or Leap Controller,  but pushing it away from keyboard+mouse gaming.

So what if it truly is will people actually accept it or will it just be too different?

Comments

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

Personally, I would absolutely love that.  The only way new tech like the Oculus Rift will be truly accepted is if it is "forced" upon us in a situation like this.  An incredible game that people are dying to play, but REQUIRES this peripheral. 

I seriously doubt it will happen.  At least not this time around.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I'm not totally sure what you're asking to be honest.

If you're asking whether I'd get the game if they required some peripheral input device to play? If that's the case it would depend on the device and the cost. I wouldn't get the game if it required an Occulus Rift or Leap controller.

I wear a headset so it's not like I'm totally against gear, but that's too far for me without consideration to cost. The Leap controller isn't ready for use. It's clumsy and inaccurate.

If they said I need a $700 graphics card I'm also out.

I doubt they'll have any requirements like that. I think games are limited more by the creativity of the devs than they are by hardware, and I think that's a change from the past.

Asdar

• NadiliNadili Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by asdar

I'm not totally sure what you're asking to be honest.

If you're asking whether I'd get the game if they required some peripheral input device to play? If that's the case it would depend on the device and the cost. I wouldn't get the game if it required an Occulus Rift or Leap controller.

I wear a headset so it's not like I'm totally against gear, but that's too far for me without consideration to cost. The Leap controller isn't ready for use. It's clumsy and inaccurate.

If they said I need a $700 graphics card I'm also out.

I doubt they'll have any requirements like that. I think games are limited more by the creativity of the devs than they are by hardware, and I think that's a change from the past.

I am not even saying will it be new hardware I just have a feeling like they finally get it.  People are ready to move on to something totally new.  Be it hardware or just general gameplay would a large audience accept a break away from what we are saying we want.  I feel like alot of players don't actually know what they want they want something new and different but when it comes down to it will they truly accept it.  So in essence if they do really break the mold would it work?

People focus so much on the negative and picking it apart, being that next WoW clone if it were something totally new would it catch on.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Nadili

EQN is truly a innovation in the genre.  SoE did it with the original at points in development it was called Neverquest, Smed was told this thing would never work.   Making consumers buy video cards to actually be able to play a game was unheard of.  Personally I am guardedly optomistic and have in the past sworn off SoE for good.

The other issue is will people actually accept true innovation it seems no matter where these dev teams do they are wrong I feel for them sometimes.  I could honestly see SoE pushing the limits of needing some new kind of hardware to run EQN be it Occulus Rift or Leap Controller,  but pushing it away from keyboard+mouse gaming.

So what if it truly is will people actually accept it or will it just be too different?

Look at what people say vs what they do.  They say they want innovation until it arrives.  Then whey ask why it can't be like some previous game.

If it is truly innovative, I would bet on the side that it will be a massive failure before I would bet on it being a massive success.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

I cant see Occulus Rift being mandatory .  Just too much money.  Ya you needed to put  video card in your machine but people were starting to do that anyways because of the hundreds of other games that required them.  Besides, video cards were not that expensive compared to what Occulus Rift costs somebody.

I can see this game being released on the console and the tablet controll being required to play where as PC gamers can continue using their rigs.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

All i know is it better be innovative.  We here lots of devs touting their game as innovative and new, but we always kind of saw the same old MMO game behind all the talk.

With EQ Next, we have  none of that.  They are talking straight up as nothing we had ever seen before.  Also add in the fact that gamer sites got a 1st look at it and are touting the same line.

This is one time where the hype train might actually be bad.  Because if this game isnt innovative, I think a lot of people wont even look at the game when it launches.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

I doubt it'll be overly innovative. I think it'll be progress, but there will still be heavy elements from their other games like EQ, EQ2 and Vanguard. I logged back into EQ1 the other day and it really has done a 180 in how it plays from the early days.

I really think if they went off the base EQ1 model that it launched with + first two expansions and built off of that with their enhanced AI from StoryBricks, upgraded engine and the extras like housing and everything they're going to put in it would feel revolutionary to people who were not around to experience that in the day. People would be amazed at how vast, dangerous and mysterious the world, that actually felt like a world, felt in contrast to the dime a dozen MMOs that are out right now.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

Originally posted by nerovipus32
    The wow crowd find it hard to except anything that is different, they will rip the game apart because it doesn't work like wow.

I have the same feeling from us oldschool EQ1 players just wanting EQ1 reskinned with updated graphics.  There were things I loved about the original game and would like to see done again but at the same time there are quite a few I would never want to see again.  I think that people looking for an updated graphic of EQ1 are going to be totally disappointed, not even due to the hype but their own expectations.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by waynejr2

EQN is truly a innovation in the genre.  SoE did it with the original at points in development it was called Neverquest, Smed was told this thing would never work.   Making consumers buy video cards to actually be able to play a game was unheard of.  Personally I am guardedly optomistic and have in the past sworn off SoE for good.

Look at what people say vs what they do.  They say they want innovation until it arrives.  Then whey ask why it can't be like some previous game.

If it is truly innovative, I would bet on the side that it will be a massive failure before I would bet on it being a massive success.

Thank you, was just about to post this.

Be careful what you wish for OP, just because something is innovative doesn't mean people are going to be happy about it (cough . . . WoW making leveling by quests an industry standard . . . cough).

Innovation is simply different, not necessarily better or worse. As for things like OccRift and Leap - they are gimmicks at the moment. And I really don't think VR headsets are the future, they were sad in concept even in the 80's.

Nintendo already made the Wii which isn't too far off from Leap. But playing games by flapping your hands and arms about is stupid and people only want to do it while drunk (or while being old).

In your mind, you think "hand control, awesome, I can swing a sword!" No you can't. Because you have to solve so many problems before you even get to something interesting. What does a sword swing look like with your hand? Do you mimic holding a sword? Will you hold a tiny foam sword? Is it a simple flick of your finger?  Whole hand and arm motion? Will the direction matter? If the direction matters, will that change how the sword swings on screen? What controls your view? How do you move and strafe? How long do you have to hold your arm up while you play?  I think you get the point, the list just keeps going.

Keyboards and controllers have been and still are the best gaming input devices. They offer many buttons and give developers options rather than restrictions.

Same goes for the OccRift, it has a host of issues like motion sickness that they're still working to eliminate, how long can you really wear something like that while gaming? I don't know if I could sit through a 5 hour raid with a monitor strapped to my face. On and on.

Let's just hope SOE has made a good and fun game before we worry about holodecks.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Couldn't agree more.  I have watched this happen oh so many times.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

I doubt that the Occulus Rift works with SOEmote. It's a big mask that goes over the face and SOEmote use a webcam to put your facial expression into your avatar.

Originally posted by Rusque

Thank you, was just about to post this.

Be careful what you wish for OP, just because something is innovative doesn't mean people are going to be happy about it (cough . . . WoW making leveling by quests an industry standard . . . cough).

Innovation is simply different, not necessarily better or worse. As for things like OccRift and Leap - they are gimmicks at the moment. And I really don't think VR headsets are the future, they were sad in concept even in the 80's.

Nintendo already made the Wii which isn't too far off from Leap. But playing games by flapping your hands and arms about is stupid and people only want to do it while drunk (or while being old).

In your mind, you think "hand control, awesome, I can swing a sword!" No you can't. Because you have to solve so many problems before you even get to something interesting. What does a sword swing look like with your hand? Do you mimic holding a sword? Will you hold a tiny foam sword? Is it a simple flick of your finger?  Whole hand and arm motion? Will the direction matter? If the direction matters, will that change how the sword swings on screen? What controls your view? How do you move and strafe? How long do you have to hold your arm up while you play?  I think you get the point, the list just keeps going.

Keyboards and controllers have been and still are the best gaming input devices. They offer many buttons and give developers options rather than restrictions.

Same goes for the OccRift, it has a host of issues like motion sickness that they're still working to eliminate, how long can you really wear something like that while gaming? I don't know if I could sit through a 5 hour raid with a monitor strapped to my face. On and on.

Let's just hope SOE has made a good and fun game before we worry about holodecks.

Yeah honestly I think being the age I am I would feel totally weird using ooculus or leap but more of a what if.  SoE was one of the early adopters of the genre I wouldn't put it past them to "try" something like this even if it crashed and burned.

We get so caught up with nothing new will ever come but what if it really did I don't think most of us would really know what to do with that.  I am sure at some point a game will come along that will challenge what we think of a MMO will it be EQN who knows but I for one even though jaded would like to think so.