Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class/Job & Race combination

TasarakTasarak Member UncommonPosts: 43

While researching stats for each race, I'm trying to determine which class would deem appropriate across the breadth of Jobs I was interested in playing. I understand you can choose to be all class/job roles as one character, however what are the drawbacks if I choose Lalafell if I wanted to make my main Thaumaturge/Black Mage, with say Lancer/Dragoon... Am I better off taking a race that is complimentary in stats to both?  What kind of cross-skill spells are going to be useful, if I'm shooting for a battle mage archetype?  I have not played the beta & waiting until release.  Any wisdom  from you vets is appreciated.  =)

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    race doesnt effect stats so choose whatever your happy with
  • VezlinVezlin Member UncommonPosts: 35

The stat differences between races are so tiny, that you can play whatever appeals to you most without having to worry about being gimped. The only advantage is at the very start, as it's by a few stat points when you have no gear. By endgame, though, most of your points are definitely going to be from gear. Each race also has a slightly more physical and a slightly more magical subrace, usually with different customization options. Again, though, stat differences are tiny.

Going battlemagey might be difficult as, since gear and class determine most of your stats, you're not going to have woah magic as a dragoon, or woah melee as a blackmage. Also, Jobs are toggleable. When you're just your Class, you can have 10 sideskills from most other classes. When using your Job, you can only take 5 sideskills from one or two other classes. Jobs each offer five extra 'Job actions' which make you way better at your role, and tend to be better at group content, while Classes are better for other sorts of content, where being able to help yourself a bit more can be useful; it's more to take buffs that compliment what you're doing rather than become a total hybrid. That said, leveling classes will not hamper any other in any way. I hope this helps!

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

races have minimal benefits stat wise over one another(unless thats changed?)

Someone did the math, at level 50 the extra points a race starts off with extra becomes like 2% of total points at 50.

So, yeah, pick whatever you want, those few points aint making a difference

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by poman313
    I found this http://www.ffxivguild.com/ffxiv-a-realm-reborn-racial-stats-guide/#.UfiaZm2YdH0

hmm guess i was wrong I thought all had same stats because character select doesnt show their stats or did i miss something there too

• TasarakTasarak Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by Vezlin

The stat differences between races are so tiny, that you can play whatever appeals to you most without having to worry about being gimped. The only advantage is at the very start, as it's by a few stat points when you have no gear. By endgame, though, most of your points are definitely going to be from gear. Each race also has a slightly more physical and a slightly more magical subrace, usually with different customization options. Again, though, stat differences are tiny.

Going battlemagey might be difficult as, since gear and class determine most of your stats, you're not going to have woah magic as a dragoon, or woah melee as a blackmage. Also, Jobs are toggleable. When you're just your Class, you can have 10 sideskills from most other classes. When using your Job, you can only take 5 sideskills from one or two other classes. Jobs each offer five extra 'Job actions' which make you way better at your role, and tend to be better at group content, while Classes are better for other sorts of content, where being able to help yourself a bit more can be useful; it's more to take buffs that compliment what you're doing rather than become a total hybrid. That said, leveling classes will not hamper any other in any way. I hope this helps!

Appreciate the feedback. If indeed they keep the stat difference minimal at 50, then I won't worry about it.  But you brought up some good points which require further questions: " When using your Job, you can only take 5 side skills from one or two other classes "  

Do we get to choose what those skills are? or are they predetermined?

Thank you.

• poman313poman313 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    it shows all the race starting stats
    Originally posted by Toxia

races have minimal benefits stat wise over one another(unless thats changed?)

Someone did the math, at level 50 the extra points a race starts off with extra becomes like 2% of total points at 50.

So, yeah, pick whatever you want, those few points aint making a difference

Thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by poman313
    it shows all the race starting stats

Nice list!  thx

• poman313poman313 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Yea while I'm waiting for Opening beta i have been looking for info where ever i can found it Hope what i posted helps.  Any you guys going to play the game at launch?
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Honestly I'm not worried about it.  Since more than likely if you plan on leveling every class/job you'll just fill the roll that is needed (which may not be the one you chose when you made your character).  The stat difference will be tiny at max anyway.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Tasarak 

But you brought up some good points which require further questions: " When using your Job, you can only take 5 side skills from one or two other classes "  

Do we get to choose what those skills are? or are they predetermined?

Thank you.

The classes you can chose those 5 skills from are predetermined. The reason you'll still want to use a job is because it unlocks additional skills in your set that you can't access with just the class.