Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your personal favorite zone/area of all-time in an mmo?

1235»

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Tir Chonaill from Mabinogi. There is just something extremely peaceful about it even if it was the first town my character was introduced to! It's still my favorite...

Smile

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    OMNI-1 and Rome from Anarchy Online. They always felt technologically creepy. Very dystopic.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• tulxtulx Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Connal's Valley in Age of Conan and Tatooine in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Two beautiful and underrated games.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Epicent
    Some of you may laugh at me but my personal favorite was  Ashenvale from WoW (pre-cata). It  may be because I was younger but it gave me a feeling of awe and wonder that I have not often gotten from an mmo. What about  you guys? What is your favorite place in an mmo. Could be a dungeon or zone  or town or whatever. I'm just curious to see what answers I'll get.

He, never thought about ... but your favorite is also close of mine. Ashenvale was really wow ... :-) But after years and exploring so much world around in so many mmos... would have really hard time to decide. Also Ungoro. But naming any1 would make unjustice to so many others probably even better, just they do not cross my mind.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    What was that game where the ocean was the sky and there were flying sharks? That one.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60

Stranglethorn Vale vanilla World of warcraft

Ohh ya...loved the open pvp down there even at low lvl..it was SO much fun.

• GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Ultima Online, The Ethereal Cathedral in Ilshenar is so beautiful and peaceful and the catacombs below is a great area for hunting. One of the most unique areas in Ultima Online.

Anarchy Online, Dungeon Camelot Castle in the Avalon zone. Such a fierce and hostile landscape yet beautiful in it's own way. And I love the story of the place.

Dark Age of Camelot,  Myrkwood Forest is such a lovely mid level region in DAoC containing a lot to explore and also have the Spindelhalla dungeon.

• KirkisKirkis Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

Just to mix it up a bit...

Valkurm Dunes FFXI left a big impression on me back in the day.

Many who played the early version of FFXI will remember that place well. Some will have fond memories and others will cringe at me even mentioning the place! I learned to hate Goblins there, especially early enough when you use to be able to pull a train of them and zone, leaving the goblins to attack whomever was left near the zone.... usually wiping parties.

you forgot the occasional AF Weapon Fight where people spawned the Spriggan and would zone it to selbina to cause havoc or the occasional puller not thinking and pulls the Valkurm Emperor to the party and everyone gets destroyed lol

• pfcgriffpfcgriff Member Posts: 26

Castle Mistmoore in EQ2. From the depths below, to the front door it was exactly what one would expect a Castle housing centuries old vampires to be like. Also taking a quest from Simone Chelmonte to kill vampires in a castle with a whip is a reward was too cool. 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    So many places in Everquest. Guk ,Sol B the memories these bring up and Unrest  I could go on and on but I think Howling Stones or Charasis stays in my head not so much for having played there a lot but the place struck fear in me.
    Chamber of Chains
  • RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154

Loch Modan, WoW Pre-Cata

Used to love going round and round, gathering as I went. Drops galore were great right before BC and WotLK hit as new people needed to level with gear and lots of mats for new crafters. Made a great deal of gold off that place.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Pretty much all of Midgard in DAOC. I'm a big fan of norse mythology and was blown away when I first stepped into Midgard back in the day.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• KingAlkaiserKingAlkaiser Member UncommonPosts: 57

hands down:

final fantasy 11 Sanctuary of Zi'tah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC7C4cEO8bk

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    I'd have to say the basic design of FFXI in general. None of the zones really stood out by themselves, but the fact that you had reasons to go back to and really get to know most of the zones was nice, and it's something you don't see much of anymore.
  • aspectofgoreaspectofgore Member Posts: 17
    This might sound a bit lame but Outlaw Camp in Tibia, only place i could grind in solitude haha

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Mine was whatever the zone was in EQ everyone used as a main trading hub, think it was East Commonlands? At least on my server.  Been so long lol. Just for nostalgia purposes, before auction houses when you actually had to socialize lol.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Patsuriku
    Ultima Online, The Ethereal Cathedral in Ilshenar is so beautiful and peaceful and the catacombs below is a great area for hunting. One of the most unique areas in Ultima Online.

Anarchy Online, Dungeon Camelot Castle in the Avalon zone. Such a fierce and hostile landscape yet beautiful in it's own way. And I love the story of the place.

Dark Age of Camelot,  Myrkwood Forest is such a lovely mid level region in DAoC containing a lot to explore and also have the Spindelhalla dungeon.

Public instance with PvP rules,rare thing these days and would be nice to see those ideas used more in mmo´s :).

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Temple of Three Winds in AO. The trains in that place was hilarious :)
  • QuillimQuillim Member UncommonPosts: 83

Instanced - Plane of Time in EQ. Planes of Power is still the greatest expansion for a game in the history of gaming. No other expansion, whether you liked it or not had as much content and impact on the world as that one had. It was also the one where SoE finally started to pull themselves from a bush league outfit known as Verant into more of a professional studio. They had bumps along the way(i'm looking at you Gates of Discord), but it was Planes of Power that really started to fix what ailed the game.

Non-Instanced - Kael Drakkel. Three words.. Avatar of War. Yup, I was a warrior. Yup, it was the gold standard to whether you had Made It or not as a Warrior, if they trusted you enough to tank it the whole way. That thing was so bada** it would take 5 expansions to get enough AC to break over its attack enough to truly trivialize it. Even more fun 'turning on enrage' at the end and watching the AFK melee hit the floor.

It was even more fun when you had multiple guilds fighting over it training each other and having it follow someone to the EW zoneline and seeing it steamroll a GM that had been called in via petitions :>. Both fun and hairpulling at the same time.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

For me it would be a toss up between Nektulos Forest and The East Commonlands in the original EQ before Luclin. Nektulos was just super creepy and the East Commonlands just had so much to do in it. Like the others in this thread I used to love to get involved with the chat when I was Medding or sitting in the Tunnel trying to sell sets of banded armor (A very sought after lower level armor before Luclin and the AH made crafting anything but the best gear a total waste of time) that I made to the people that were leveling there. Good times.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }