Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do You consider a franchise "successful"?

BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

A simple question that popped into my head this morning that probably has a lot to do with the current trend of hate vs hype for current and future titles.

Do you believe that a "Successful" franchise is one that follows a monetary trend upwards.

Or....

Do you believe that a "Successful" franchise is one that stays true to its fans despite the monetary benefits of "mainstreaming".

Regards,

-Bear

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I consider a franchise a success if I'm playing it.

Sometimes I'm the fan, sometimes I'm a part of the mainstream masses.  That tends to change my answer on a game-by-game basis.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Three main categories:

* Critical acclaim by professional reviewers.

* Great response among the common people in general.

* Monetary success.

---------------------------

For single player games, I have more faith in professional reviewers, but for MMORPGs my faith is signficantely lower after the "SWTOR game of the year" fiasco. 

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Three main categories:

* Critical acclaim by professional reviewers.

* Great response among the common people in general.

* Monetary success.

---------------------------

For single player games, I have more faith in professional reviewers, but for MMORPGs my faith is signficantely lower after the "SWTOR game of the year" fiasco. 

All three of those major categories are normally bought out by larger companies. The second can be controlled by hype, and the third can be mislead by frivolous numbers that mean nothing (ie: a F2P game announcing it has x number of accounts registered, but gives no real number as to how many unique IP's log in per day/week/month). The first is obviously easy to game.

For singleplayer games I personally NEVER trust "professional" reviewers, and are almost always bought and paid for. For MMORPG's I've learned to research them myself, and then try their alpha/beta/free-trial. If none of those three can be achieved the game is avoided unless the previous research reveals promise.

:)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It is alarming how many times a person posts something that doesn't even make sense and no one questions it, rather just replies based on their own interpretation of what the OP may or may not have been talking about.

The 4th Coming was revived and seems to be doing well, so I would consider it successful from a monetary standpoint... but franchise isn't really what you're talking about, is it?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    From the dev/publisher side it is always monetary.  But from a player side, it would be if you enjoy it.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

It is alarming how many times a person posts something that doesn't even make sense and no one questions it, rather just replies based on their own interpretation of what the OP may or may not have been talking about.

The 4th Coming was revived and seems to be doing well, so I would consider it successful from a monetary standpoint... but franchise isn't really what you're talking about, is it?

Then whatever result he was looking for will be judged on that basis; and any sly confirmation will be hollow if no one was answering from the same context that he asked. I don't know what the 4th coming is or the OP's reasons for posting this, but I have my own reasons for replying.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Still up and running after 10 years.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!