Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Impression

gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360

I will post my first impression shortly (after playing 12 hours).  Feel free to share yours.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

Comments

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I'll give my impressions+a description of sorts since there is extremely limited info on this site.

The game is great fun. I typically am pretty wishy washy with MOBAs and I still like it. Not a fan at all of LoL, I like DOTA2 but whenever I play it I don't feel immersed in anything, it feels worse than an FPS as far as immersion, and granted it is meant to be a competitive game but they could have tried a little harder to add some flavor to it. I also briefly had a love affair with Airmech.

Prime World, though, I can see me playing for a long time. Im a huge fan of customization and progression, and Prime World nails it for me. The games themselves are competitive without feeling punishing, and the community is either more friendly than your average MOBA or just doesn't talk (either way I can live with it). I've played about 5 heroes and they all feel unique, and the talent system is pretty interesting. One problem I forsee is that eventually the "best builds," will come out and the talent system won't mean much because everyone's hero will be identical, but hopefully there is enough depth to counter that.

The Castle system is a neat little feature. Ive read concerns that it would be stupid to add buildings/resources into a MOBA, since a MOBA is an RTS without buildings/resources, but they seem to have it working pretty well in Prime World. Your heroes can rest between matches, which on the surface I thought sounded cool as it made you experiment with other heroes, but in reality the rest period is only like 10 seconds (maybe it gets higher as you level the hero, don't know). Other than that, the Castle is used to store your talents or craft more talents. You can also "craft" silver with which to buy more heroes/structures. One complaint is that the resource system seems cool when you first start going, but after a while you just have a ton of resources and not much to spend them on (unless I am missing something). It seems like eventually the castle will just be more of a lobby and talent factory than anything else.

The own-territory system is cool and adds another layer of tactics. Basically you flip flags as you go and while you are near that flag some of your skills will have additional powerful effects (to the tune of 50% more damage at times). Even after a tower is destroyed, fighting can occur over these flags, which helps remove some of the "hopelessness," you feel when the enemy is knocking on your door.

Also, and this is weird, they've added weird little game-changers that seem to happen randomly. For example, sometimes you will queue up for a Borderlands match and they will just randomly add zombies too it. Not sure how it works, but its nice for adding variety.

Also, XP and gold are removed in favor of one resource, Prime. At first I thought it was weird, but I like it a lot now. You are forced to choose between buying items or leveling, and even leveling isn't a flat-rate of prime. Every time you choose a talent you gain a level, and there are 6 levels of talents, all costing increasingly more prime, so your choices when leveling are quite staggering honestly. Also, you are forced to make a decision between buying items or leveling, though the choice is normally not too hard because the only items that exist in the game are consumables, all passive buffs come from talents.

So far I really like the game, I marathon played it last night with my gaming buddy who usually gets bored of new games within an hour, but he seemed to like it too. It's free, so well worth a try. My final thought is that the game is pretty much LoL but geared more towards MMORPG players and a lot more forgiving to newbies (though that could be a product of it just now going into OB).

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Agree with the post above mine.

In general I hate MOBA's, but this game has a nice laid back appeal to it. The adventure type challenges are really challenging and the castle construction lends to "just wait a few hours or another day" for upgrades type attitude and the local world chat gives it that MMO feel.

I imagine this will please the coffee drinking crowd that likes a nice balanced RPG progress compared to the stressful always gotta play and compete type of other games of this type. So far it is a damn fine game and loving the bejeezus out of it myself, it is hella addictive and sometimes tough as nails and pretty hardcore.

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    The MOBA it itself is pretty good, though DOTA 2 and LoL both do it better. What I can absolutely not stand though is the microtransaction pay or wait bullcrap that permeates all over mobile phone games. It is junk on the mobile platform and it is junk on the PC, if you don't have an issue with this system however you'll probably like the game.  Could be the greatest game ever but with this pay or wait system I personally will not tolerate what I believe is ruining gaming.