Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW: Accessibility and Apathy

2»

Comments

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Maybe you should blame the horrible changes they inflicted on the world in Cataclysm for that.

I totally agree. I hated the changes they made. I only played through as I had friends still playing and I like playing with friends. 

I no longer play, haven't even tried MoP and won't either, friends or no. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Mr_Mechanical
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    FACT: If you look for something negative, in ANY game, you will find it. 

I really hate how right this is.

Still, sometimes the negative jumps out and bites us in the face, while we're looking for something to like.

or something to do.

• QuorinaQuorina Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by whisperwynd
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

Like I said, he obviously did the vid to vent. Saw another one of his vids where he showed having like 8 lvl 90's so it isn't from a 'noob's' point of view.

Still, being disgruntled by how things turned out is one thing. Campaigning about it is quite another.

Well, the point is he can still enjoy Heroic content without any problems. Seems to me that he's whining because more casual players are finally able to see the content they are also paying for, without any other option for more hardcore players.

Self entitled elitist comes to my mind.

He's also posting some lies about gear appearance.

I still think he made a point about community though.

I agree with most of this but my take on the 'why' is, I believe, his take on players being able to skip most of the world content by just doing LFD and LFR all the way to cap while not being all that good at his class.

By leveling this way you see zero of the world and get to endgame with decent missing out on the lore, story, etc. I guess content can be divided into world stuff and dungeons. Idk.

Maybe you should blame the horrible changes they inflicted on the world in Cataclysm for that.

I've read the whole thread and I really, really hope, for your own sake, that you can see your own hypocrisy by calling the OP "entitled" but then saying that casuals have  the "right" to see all the content they "paid" for. Let's make this very clear; you're paying for access to the servers, not everything inside the game,regardless of time and skill. This Generation Y, casual entitlement is what has destroyed the MMORPG market. You want to get the best gear? PUT IN THE EFFORT FOR IT. Not everything should be given to you for showing up. And then you had the nerve to call the op "entitled". Look in the damn mirror.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I have been looking for a game to play while waiting for FFXIV ARR and tried Tera but these days my forearm is hurting so the gameplay was not helping so I dumped it after downloading it for two days . Now I am thinking of going back to WoW for a bit. I tried awhile back but my computer was having problems then and I gave up.

After watching this video I am not sure what to think. I used to raid but the farming for materials to make potions then money and all that made me give up. I thought I might go play for a bit again and was worried about money obviously in game but this video made me think I usually play a healer and would like to see a lot more of the game. I might go back but obviously as someone else pointed out you cannot play a healer like that but this does allow me to see a lot more of the game which would normally require me to join a guild and farm and all that stuff. Food for thought.

Chamber of Chains
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    "..MoP is shaping up to be the best expansion ever released.."  I'm sorry but i was severely reluctant taking this guy serious after hearing this. 
  • ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by Roguewiz
    WOW was "fine" during Vanilla, Burning Crusade, and Wrath of the Lich King.  Cataclysm started the downward spiral for me, and Pandaria was the icing on the cake.  I was already getting bored with the game near the end of WOTLK, so it was a foregone conclusion that I would end up quitting.Not saying WoW is a bad game.  I mean, 10m+ subs does show something.  However, don't let that number fool you.  Much like Everquest, WoW does have the whole "I'm too invested to quit" crowd.  There is nothing decent currently available that isn't a single player MMO, or something you'll be bored with by the end of your free-month.

Personally, i feel the game already went downhill with WotLK. The only good stuff in that expansion was the Titan lore and Ulduar, aswell as some of the zone designs (Grizzly and Storm Peaks were great). WotLK set in motion the trend that is in full force today in MoP: Accessibility.

This whole thing started with redesigning Naxxramas and moving it to a new spot, so that 'more people could see it'. At first i could see their point, but later it dawned on me that having content i could not see was a very motivating feeling for me to keep playing the game. I never saw the original Naxxramas, but the hope of seeing it sometime kept me playing, even in TBC. When i got into raiding again, Hyjal and Black Temple were 'da sheet', stuff i wanted to get to and wanted to work for - IE, keep playing the game for. SSC and TK were similar here, i loved the stuff you needed to do to even set foot in those instances.

Near the end of TBC, around the time they were developing WotLK heavily, they started toying with the idea to drop a lot of the requirements to enter those instances. While i was somewhat glad they did it, it did really cheapen the feel of getting to do bosses there. Did i really earn the right to be there? My guild hadn't even killed the endbosses of SSC and TK yet when we started doing Hyjal. It didn't make much sense, but the loot kept coming and the challenge was still there.

But then, oh lord, WotLK came around. Naxxramas was there and was cleared within 2 days of WotLK's release (the 25th of November group). They did make an absolutely terrific raid with Ulduar (which i still maintain is the best raid Blizzard ever made), but then... The coliseum. Normal and hard mode. Oh lord.

My guild finished off the beetle boss (i can't remember his name), so we were 'done' with the coliseum. Motivation dropped immensely to even try doing hardmode bosses. We never cleared it on hardmode before we went to ICC. Then the exact same thing happened - We killed LK once and BOOM, motivation gone to even TRY hardmodes.

At that point i left for a while but came back for Cataclysm. I had to see how they redid the game world, i've been pushing for a redesign ever since TBC was designed for flying where vanilla was not. At first i was amazed at how well they did everything, untill i got to the dungeons. People say it was hard but i honestly don't know why. Blasted through most of them within a day of getting to 85. Tried a couple of raids and, like in the video, while i wasn't at my best my group still thrashed the bosses. Then we were done and guess what? Motivation gone to continue.

To elaborate on the point made in the video, i think accessibility killed any kind of long term motivation to keep playing the game. When you can clear all the content within a day of hitting max level, what point is there to keep playing? While themepark MMO's rely on repetition to stay afloat, i think Blizzard lost track of what kind of repetition is good.

You want people to keep trying for those really hard last bosses. This will keep them engaged with the content they CAN clear since they need more gold and gear to get up to the next level. This way it takes longer (aswell as more skill) to reach those bosses but it also keeps players engaged, not just to keep them busy but to also have an element of fun, an ambition to do your best to reach that final goal.

Once that goal is basically put in front of your nose as soon as you hit max level, what motivation is there to keep on going?

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA