Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call the ambulance WoW under 8 million subs now

Comments

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Originally posted by NasherUK

I'd put the number of subs significantly lower. The numbers ACTUALLY active in the EU and US zone is most likely fraction of that. Just go and look how many dead servers there are...

Blizzard has always inflated their stats. The vast majority of "subscribers" are in Asia, but they aren't really subscribers since in Asia they use a pay-as-you-play credit system. So technically an Asian account is "active" as long as it has more than 0 credit, even if it's not been used in ages.

You don't read do you? "The number of World of Warcraft monthly subscribers has dropped to 7.7 million," Do I need to point out the keys words? The argument you used has no meaning.

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,634

It is actually a good thing,gamer's need  to start supporting other developer's as Wow is big time over rated and definitely old gen tech that never pushed the genre at all.If people support the lowest end tech ,there will be no push by developers to advance this genre,look at recent Wildstar and even EQN is not pushing any envelopes at least on graphics.

I can't speak for anyone else,but i want my game worlds to come alive and just look more realistic,i do not want to ever again see the kind of textures Blizzard used in Wow,just an awful effort.Tree bark that is a plain brown color with a few lines scribbled through it is not the effort of an expert artist.

So yes we need the gamer's to get out and see other games,they will soon realize that Wow is nothing special and definitely not the kind of effort Blizzard is capable of.ANY developer can make instances and low end graphic/textures,even Indie devs,so Blizzard needs to step up in a LARGE way if they are to ever again warrant that much support.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Originally posted by sportsfan

I wonder ... when was the last time ... you have been playing WoW ? .... Mid 2006 ? You see cross server BG's have been in since late 2006, cross server dungeons since early 2009 and ... cross server open world play with open seamless worlds populated from different servers - without loading screens - are implemented in patch 5.4 right now .... WITH mutual raiding, AH's and Guild recruiting. So your arguments are really nothing short of a laugh these days for an active WoW player...

I'd say since 2009, and even currently, wouldn't you?

Anymore wrong assumptions?

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by UNATCOII

I wonder ... when was the last time ... you have been playing WoW ? .... Mid 2006 ? You see cross server BG's have been in since late 2006, cross server dungeons since early 2009 and ... cross server open world play with open seamless worlds populated from different servers - without loading screens - are implemented in patch 5.4 right now .... WITH mutual raiding, AH's and Guild recruiting. So your arguments are really nothing short of a laugh these days for an active WoW player...

Then stop insulting my intelligence by stating WOW "suffers" from 7.7 million players.

EVERYTHING is cross server these days. >From BG's to dungeons to Raids.

"After patch 5.4 WoW is independant of single realm play (for the AH's, the Guild play , the Raids and open world play) ...so your ideas run behind: :)"

The fact even the open world of Azeroth is now cross server and structured within patch 5.4 WOW will be populated from 50K players to 50.000.000 players.

As it is independant of single realm play and pops. And the virtual Realm will act as if it was one Realm.

Launch 5.4: Sep 10th.

A date to be remembered as it will make WOW independant of single realm play through virtual realms (or whatever the term they are using).

All seamless of course and the players won't even notice a thing.

Originally posted by Wizardry

It is actually a good thing,gamer's need  to start supporting other developer's as Wow is big time over rated and definitely old gen tech that never pushed the genre at all.If people support the lowest end tech ,there will be no push by developers to advance this genre,look at recent Wildstar and even EQN is not pushing any envelopes at least on graphics.

I can't speak for anyone else,but i want my game worlds to come alive and just look more realistic,i do not want to ever again see the kind of textures Blizzard used in Wow,just an awful effort.Tree bark that is a plain brown color with a few lines scribbled through it is not the effort of an expert artist.

So yes we need the gamer's to get out and see other games,they will soon realize that Wow is nothing special and definitely not the kind of effort Blizzard is capable of.ANY developer can make instances and low end graphic/textures,even Indie devs,so Blizzard needs to step up in a LARGE way if they are to ever again warrant that much support.

Another dude who didn't enter Azeroth in the last 6 years.

I found his earlier posts about "meeting 2 players" ever in the open world of Azeroth very amusing.

Since players are complaining all day long they find too MANY players these days around their grinding grounds... :)

Perhaps these kind of posters should UPDATE their WOW hater Hard Disks before posting.

As it is quite frankly amusing to read these posts of frustration by uninformed Blizzard trashers.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Then stop insulting my intelligence by stating WOW "suffers" from 7.7 million players.

"After patch 5.4 WoW is independant of single realm play (for the AH's, the Guild play , the Raids and open world play) ...so your ideas run behind: :)"

The fact even the open world of Azeroth is now cross server and structured within patch 5.4 WOW will be populated from 50K players to 50.000.000 players.

As it is independant of single realm play and pops. And the virtual Realm will act as if it was one Realm.

A date to be remembered as it will make WOW independant of single realm play through virtual realms (or whatever the term they are using).

The interesting thing is that Guilds will also be able to recruit 'cross server'  i can see it revitalising the game to a degree, though i don't think there will be all that many returning players, it will make existing players better able to group/dungeon/raid etc. I would be interested in hearing the evidence supporting claims that the majority of WoW subs are in China etc though, as there has been a fair number of claims also that the Asian playerbase etc has also been the one with the most signficant losses in terms of player numbers, due to them being not that impressed with the whole panda thing and that the majority of the playerbase is currently  America's(NA+S)/EU. image

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I found his earlier posts about "meeting 2 players" ever in the open world of Azeroth very amusing.

Since players are complaining all day long they find too MANY players these days around their grinding grounds... :)

Perhaps these kind of posters should UPDATE their WOW hater Hard Disks before posting.

As it is quite frankly amusing to read these posts of frustration by uninformed Blizzard trashers.

While the graphics have improved 'a bit' they could stand a lot of further improvement, the game does have some of the most dated graphics, so improving the games Graphics would be a good thing, i know that if a game released tomorrow with WoW's graphics, i wouldnt be interested in it, which is probably why i have so little interest now in games like EQN and Wildstar image

Originally posted by Phry

The interesting thing is that Guilds will also be able to recruit 'cross server'  i can see it revitalising the game to a degree, though i don't think there will be all that many returning players, it will make existing players better able to group/dungeon/raid etc. I would be interested in hearing the evidence supporting claims that the majority of WoW subs are in China etc though, as there has been a fair number of claims also that the Asian playerbase etc has also been the one with the most signficant losses in terms of player numbers, due to them being not that impressed with the whole panda thing and that the majority of the playerbase is currently  America's(NA+S)/EU. image

The China "problem" is very simple.

WOW players in China play by the MINUTE on time cards (like our cell phones).

Try imagining YOU playing WOW with a time card: 4 minutes to enter a BG, 8 minutes to form a nice Raid group in your Guild, ...

Get the picture? Now enter the Chinese copycat garbage that is ... free to play...

As a matter of fact, it is a miracle WOW has still a few million of addicted players left with F2P going standard in China.

The above is also the reason WOW includes now in game shops as BattleNet is not set up as such in China (other operator).

So China will adapt to a form of F2P while the west will stay on subscriptions.

Let's see your Armory. Anyone can read patch notes, and considering you don't know how the queue system operates, it's nice to verify your "credentials".

Only person who is insulting your intelligence is yourself.

7.7 million down from 12 million says its a serious decline. That's almost 1/2 of the players gone since 2010.

Tunnel vision has a nasty way of showing itself.

• LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Agree, if in my work half of the customers leave us, boss will fire almost all of us with no questions, no matter he still have a positive balance.

But, but, but he attacked me when I was low life! 

Yes, HE DID, why you cant do the same to him? 

Uf that will take me a lot of time... 

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

Originally posted by Lukooone
    Agree, if in my work half of the customers leave us, boss will fire almost all of us with no questions, no matter he still have a positive balance.

Oh, yeah. I don't know too many business that if they lost half their customers the boss, bank and colleagues wouldn't be concerned (bank would be hard pressed on loan extensions on that alone). That's the time to rethink policies, seriously.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

FFXIV Wildstar ESO. These MMOs will definitely give a lot of pain to Wow.

WoW is outdated. Ppl are sick of playing it.

Originally posted by Cetra

ESO could, but Bethesda isn't making it. That's like Blizzard leasing WoW to Ensemble Studios to develop. The original talent that makes the game so unique, isn't onboard. And it truly is the talent that makes or breaks these games. Be it direction or production.

Smart move on Bethesda's part, as ESO can flop, but their offline RPG will be untarnished (they didn't develop it).

FFXIV is a niche game. Very niched to a particular type of RPG players, so not in direct competition.

Wildstar who knows. There's so much hype out there, only way anyone will know a game is successful is if it survives for 2 years and continues to grow.

• TorreyHTorreyH Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    Nobody can escape the cracks of time. Blizzard doesn't need to change a thing.  The game is almost 10 years old.  Its already reached all the success it needs to.  Let it age in peace like Everquest and remain a fond memory to many of us.  And for the people that still play it and don't want to play a different mmo - good for them.  As long as they are still having fun, then that's perfectly fine.

Exactly.  There is no cause for enmity or strife.  Its just a shame, since the game in pre-Cata days was such a thing of beauty.  Vanilla WoW was a magical thing - and I was coming from five years of EverQuest.  So impressed.  And BC continued the journey.  WotLK was the peak, based on subscription numbers - and I would agree.  I was having so much fun.  The whole story arc with Arthas - including the Wrathgate event, and the siege of the Undercity - just so epic.  All the steps to the LK, including some of those wonderful 5-man instances, with so much lore, and purple loot greasing the road ahead.  Loved it.  Been all downhill since Cata, at least for me.  I mourn what they have done to Azeroth - and I'm sad that no future gamers will ever know it as I did. 

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member Posts: 598

I'm still amazed by how Blizzard managed to make server merges pass as positive "features"

And the people who intentionally chose a low pop server for the community and the easier access to some resources are now invaded by kiddies from some high pop server.

But well done, Blizzard. Even though you didn't fool me.

My computer is better than yours.

• infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160

FFXIV is a bust. When is WoW-killer #784 coming out?

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,620
    Originally posted by infofront

FFXIV is a bust. When is WoW-killer #784 coming out?

FFXIV is a massive success.  It's still number #2 in PC sales on amazon and in the top 20 of all video games.

But honestly most WoW players are REALLY bad at playing any MMO with some challenge to it.  FFXIV is breaking them as we speak.  So I think it's funny that people want these players in other games to say that it equates some type of success.

• wb8594wb8594 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    yeah WOW will be a powerhouse for at least 10 more years.......unless it upgrades it graphics by then will slowly fade to under 1 million players.
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 696

Even though I hate WoW with undying passion, let's be fair here and look at it from a glass is half full standpoint.

They're still over 7 Million Subs, which is roughly the same total as all Western MMOs combined.

I'd be more worried about WHEN they go F2P, or if a game manages to reach the 2-3 Mil mark.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: League of Legends, anything Dark Souls-like, Hearthstone, DDO
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Illyssia

So what can Blizz do now.

Peeps. WoW is in trouble now, I think, and only firm and decisive action can reverse its steady decline now.

What can they do now? Continue to rake in an insane amount of money unlike no other game out there.

People are funny. If some game ever hit 20 million players and then dropped down to 10 million players, people would be saying the end is near and that the game is in trouble simply because of a drop. The part they are missing is how huge the remaining number still is.

Any MMO out there would likely literally murder some people to get 7.7 million subscribers. The number is so ridiculously huge. I have no desire to play WoW, but 7.7 million subs is not "being in trouble".

• LehoxLehox Member UncommonPosts: 19

1. Blizzard announced that they think of a transactionsystem for the Blizzardshop implementation, not to be f2p in ANY, REASONABLE Way. Stop pointing out dreams of others.

2. The next Expansion is according to lore the most precious one for me, at least. I mean - goddamn the Hell of Azeroth involved being AGAINST the burning legion even thou they are kinda the same kind? hell yeah!

There are even things like the sone of Medhiv and his Orc'ish Woman that is - Guardian of Tirisfal (kinda bigass bossmage)

There is so much that WoW still has to offer, they just need to put a lot of overhaul into their next Addon means Mechanics, Graphics, Skillsystems or Features that already, are implemented in various other games (even thou badly made).

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Yeah I'd say it is really hard to call FFXIV a success at this point. They froze sales because the game was so unstable and then knocked the price down to try to get people to buy it since it wasn't selling well.

I'm just shocked it took this long for WoW to fall this low. Part of it is because GW2 is the only good MMORPG to be released in ages it seems and that one doesn't appeal to the more hardcore fan.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,620
    Originally posted by Ender4

Yeah I'd say it is really hard to call FFXIV a success at this point. They froze sales because the game was so unstable and then knocked the price down to try to get people to buy it since it wasn't selling well.

Completely and utterly false information.  And yes.  It's a success.  It is selling very well.  They froze sales because too many people were playing the game.  Stores everywhere were sold out.  So...yeah.  lol

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by jdnyc

Originally posted by Ender4 Yeah I'd say it is really hard to call FFXIV a success at this point. They froze sales because the game was so unstable and then knocked the price down to try to get people to buy it since it wasn't selling well.
    Completely and utterly false information.  And yes.  It's a success.  It is selling very well.  They froze sales because too many people were playing the game.  Stores everywhere were sold out.  So...yeah.  lol

They froze sales because their login servers couldn't handle the load but the load wasn't terribly heavy either. It was way more about poor infrastructure than it was about an explosion of interest like say EQ and WoW had at release. This was more Shadowbane style issues. I don't blame them given what a completely failure the original release was.