Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Publicity Stunt ever or the Real Deal?

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

So what do you think it is.  My heart tells me this game is the real deal based on the 2 Best in Show awards at E3 but this little part of me has been thinking this has got to be the worlds best publicity stunt and PR move since never.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• ApocalApocal Member Posts: 68

Considering they have panels next week, it's definitely not a publicity stunt.  If you're amorous, head out to Vegas.

P.S. I had to vote for pie because whether or not it's going to be a good game is still to be determined.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by Apocal

Considering they have panels next week, it's definitely not a publicity stunt.  If you're amorous, head out to Vegas.

P.S. I had to vote for pie because whether or not it's going to be a good game is still to be determined.

There should have been a 4th option for I like Cake, then there could have been some serious polling going on here.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by azzamasin

based on the 2 Best in Show awards at E3 

It's the real deal but please stop going on about the awards, remind me how many awards swtor won from these same people who gave EQN awards.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

It's the real deal but please stop going on about the awards, remind me how many awards swtor won from these same people who gave EQN awards.

I honestly do not know so how many?

I may be wrong but I do not think I've ever heard of a game winning best in show and not even being show cased at the convention, to me this is a huge deal.  Especially coming from this site and TTH.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AffordableAffordable Member UncommonPosts: 41

Exactly this. The fact that both Ten Ton Hammer and Mmorpg gave this game Best of E3 worries me to no end. They are not to be trusted, especially Bill M. They are part of the business: they hype the game, the game collapses because it sucks and then they start over with the next "promising" mmo. That keeps people coming in to the site and generating revenue.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

I may be wrong but I do not think I've ever heard of a game winning best in show and not even being show cased at the convention, to me this is a huge deal.  Especially coming from this site and TTH.

The problem is, that's exactly when gushing reviews are most valuable.

Because we have nothing else to go on, SOE would go to great lengths to ensure rave reviews from these sites. Who knows what kind of quid pro quo went on.

While I remain very excited for the 2nd, there's a realistic chance the game is being significantly oversold.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Honestly I think it's both.  I think it's the real deal and they have played thier cards perfectly so far by having so much mystique around EQN.  I so wonder whether they will sneak attack us with a sudden release and market after.  It would certainly help with launch day crashes and if it's as good as they say they won't have to rely on the "first month blitz". The player base will grow over time as it should naturally with MMOs and word of mouth would be king.

The main thing telling me release could be close is that if they were going to market beforehand why not build hype for the reveal? There has been no marketing besides social network pings.  I hope I am right as it would be the first in a line of "different" actions by SoE if EQN is as different as they claim.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

It's the real deal, there hasn't been a single thing that has come out from people who have seen it other than tons of praise.  And they aren't asking for any money before revealing the info - so it's not just a pr move.  Are they doing things to generate a ton of hype, yes.  But it's not like they are going to get anything out of it if they get all this hype then show a dud on the 2nd. 

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    I say a good game, but for who?  IT sounds like it will be phenomenal for someone, but exactly who is what I want to know.  I am hoping me, but I would say their is at least a 25-40% chance that it may be in a direction that I will not like...  If it is a evolution of current mmos to take them even further from being a classic mmo, then it is 99% that I will dislike it.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I honestly do not know so how many?

swtor has 85 freakin awards of various type including multiple, best of e3, best of show, best mmo, and my personal favorite, best pc game. Yeah best pc game. LoLot hats not to say eqn won't be good, but that we need to keep in mind how soft the gaming media is on yet to be and newly released titles.  The truth usually don't come out until a months later.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Call it for what it its. EQN made a very strong first impression to those that were allowed to see it briefly.
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    Call it for what it its. EQN made a very strong first impression to those that were allowed to see it briefly.

Yeah, two people.  One of which, Bill from MMORPG.com, has a strong history of being very friendly towards Dave Georgeson and always writes highly favorable interviews with him.  That makes him biased, and thus, not credible as a source of opinion.

There is a lot to be said about waiting to see and experience a product to form your own opinion of it.

This whole line of discussion sounds familiar though.  Hmm, could it be from here, here, or here?

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Lokero

There should have been a 4th option for I like Cake, then there could have been some serious polling going on here.

Oh, I would have taken "l like Cake" over "I like Pie". 

As for the OP, I don't think it's a stunt. Although, some people might be taking SOE few comments on EQN out of proportion. People take "it's going the be the largest sandbox MMO ever" and start saying that SOE will make what they see as the perfect sandbox. Then you have people saying that the game won't be a sandbox at all too...

On August 2nd, we might ended up with a Free Realm merged with SWG clone for all we know...

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I didn't vote because cookies are > all.

But, anyways, in the light of the thread, and only for the sake of having it down before, and not to troll, I swear.

I think there is a chance that EQN will be the first and best Facebook MMORPG ever.

Again I am not trolling, and actually hope I am totally wrong, but from what I have seen and the claims I have heard I think it is a possibility.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Four0Six

I didn't vote because cookies are > all.

But, anyways, in the light of the thread, and only for the sake of having it down before, and not to troll, I swear.

I think there is a chance that EQN will be the first and best Facebook MMORPG ever.

Again I am not trolling, and actually hope I am totally wrong, but from what I have seen and the claims I have heard I think it is a possibility.

Its funny, because a year or two ago many of us were all over the idea that it would be a severely dumbed down, highly-accessible-to-the-masses type of game.  I'm still not discounting it will be a FreeRealms/EQ hybrid. 

7 more days..