Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it about?

ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I´m seeing all these threads about EQNext...

But i don´t find conclusive information about the game...

Is it a "classic" MMO with trinity....raids....gear grinding....daylies?

Is it more open? is it Sanboxish?

Is it just vaporwear? Hype?

What is it about?

Comments

• xxxxxx1xxxxxx1 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Wait until August 2nd at 12:00 noon PST
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Zzad

What is it about?

It's about adventure in the fantasy world of Norrath.

Beyond that, no information has been released.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by xxxxxx1

So is it pure (blind) hype?

No one knows anything about the game?

Is that?

o.O

Is that?

o.O

Correct.  There have been a few vague statements indicating that it's going to be some sort of sandbox.  But that's it.  

No screenshots, no gameplay info, no story, nothing.  SOE announced 1 year ago that they would reveal the game at this year's SOE Live and they've stuck to that promise.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    A lot has been said about the game but nothing concrete. As long as Dave Nd Smed aren't outright lying there is a bit you can gather from the interviews/statements. In reality they are doing the opposite of what usually happens which is actually keeping thier mouth shut until they can show the whole thing.
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I would appear that they have come up with a number of innovations no mmo has ever had, and they don't want Blizz and others to steal them for their mmos in development or expansions for current ones. It seems SOE are still a tad bitter over WoW stealing a lot of EQ2's thunder.

SOE want to make sure they are able to cement EQN's features as being from that game in the minds of the general mmo culture, so we get "EQN" clones and not "Titan" ones flooding the market in 5 yrs.

It's a pride thing

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

^^ This, and only this.

To the OP, everything else here is just speculation and hype.  Please, don't believe the hype.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Is that?

o.O

1. Largest sandbox ever made

2. Player emergent content

3. f2p

4. Best in show from TTH and MMORPG.COM, think 1 other did too, but not sure.

5. Aug. 2 they will reveal stuff at the fan faire.

6. Will make you poop yourself.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

Is that?

o.O

Facts about the game so far.

-It's going to have some sandbox features. (specifically, we don't know yet, but there will be User Generated Content)

-Largest Sandbox ever made* (Probably refers to the amount of land-mass players will be able to play on)

-There are going to be alternate ways to fully play the game outside of adventuring (IE crafting won't be a side thought, and maybe other types of non-adventuring play and will play just as big a part in the game as adventuring)

-It's going to be set in an EQ theme, but not in the same timeline/universe as original EQ and EQ2.  It's going to be a "Reboot".  Think like Tim Burton Batman VS the Dark Knight.

-It's going to have OWPVP (either in separate PVP areas, or possibly anywhere).  If there is FFA OWPVP any time any place, there will be PVE and PVP servers to pick from.

-It's using the forgelight engine (Like Planetside 2).

-The graphics look good. (Zbrush screen shot even untextured is impressive)

-They're is going to be some way to change classes.  Possibly a respec option, or a way to freely level up all classes in some way (like FFXI), or something similar.

-It's going to be F2P but not P2W.

-All the original EQ classes will be in the game.

-Release is going to be this year.  Sometime between August 2nd and December 31st, 2013.

I'm sure there is more, but that's the bulk of the facts.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by zevni78

I would appear that they have come up with a number of innovations no mmo has ever had, and they don't want Blizz and others to steal them for their mmos in development or expansions for current ones. It seems SOE are still a tad bitter over WoW stealing a lot of EQ2's thunder.

SOE want to make sure they are able to cement EQN's features as being from that game in the minds of the general mmo culture, so we get "EQN" clones and not "Titan" ones flooding the market in 5 yrs.

It would appear Blizzard was lucky they didn't steal ideas from EQ2...

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

What is it about?

It is head and shoulders above all other games that were at the show or currently out.

It is sandbox or has strong sandbox elements.

It will be familiar in some ways to people that have played any Everquest games, but it is not a direct sequel in any way.

It will have deep factions built into the gameplay.

Nobody has played a game quite like this before now.

There is something called Spellweaving in EQ Next. It is supposed to be quite interesting

We (the players) will get our hands on the actual game (not just a beta) within this year.

There is multi-day event in Las Vegas where Sony EQ Next panels will be showing off all aspects of the game starting Aug 2nd.

Sony has managed to keep a tight lid on this so far which is impressive in our current climate of leaks happening all the time in companies.

This has managed to create quite alot of pre-event hype in the MMORPG community as it gets closer to the date.

People are projecting personal ideas (myself included) about what EQ Next will be like with what little facts people have managed to find on Dev twitter and things.

• MastaccolliMastaccolli Member UncommonPosts: 100

What is it about?

How sad is it that some mmo players think a classic is raids, gear grind and daylies

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by dandurin
    Originally posted by zevni78

EQ2 and WoW were the first modern themeparks.  Im guessing the similarities were a coincidence though, its feasible to think both games thought quest driven leveling was a good idea (and at the time, it was)

Originally posted by Mastaccolli

What is it about?

How sad is it that some mmo players think a classic is raids, gear grind and daylies

they probably think the classic trinity is tank/healer/dps too

Originally posted by Gallus85

Is that?

o.O

-It's going to have some sandbox features. (specifically, we don't know yet, but there will be User Generated Content)

-Largest Sandbox ever made* (Probably refers to the amount of land-mass players will be able to play on)

-There are going to be alternate ways to fully play the game outside of adventuring (IE crafting won't be a side thought, and maybe other types of non-adventuring play and will play just as big a part in the game as adventuring)

-It's going to be set in an EQ theme, but not in the same timeline/universe as original EQ and EQ2.  It's going to be a "Reboot".  Think like Tim Burton Batman VS the Dark Knight.

-It's going to have OWPVP (either in separate PVP areas, or possibly anywhere).  If there is FFA OWPVP any time any place, there will be PVE and PVP servers to pick from.

-They're is going to be some way to change classes.  Possibly a respec option, or a way to freely level up all classes in some way (like FFXI), or something similar.

-Release is going to be this year.  Sometime between August 2nd and December 31st, 2013.

speculation, not facts

havent seen anything concrete yet

They are being purposefully vague.

We also know StoryBricks is involved

Originally posted by strangiato2112

EQ2 and WoW were the first modern themeparks.  Im guessing the similarities were a coincidence though, its feasible to think both games thought quest driven leveling was a good idea (and at the time, it was)

Basically every area where the two games differed, Blizzard got it right and Sony got it horribly wrong.

Just thinking about those godawful loading screens and mariner's bells in Freeport makes me want to break things.   And female guards turning bald when their helmets LODed out.  How immersive! 

How many times has SOE had to change EQ2 to make it more WoW-like? 

And they've still got that hotbar UI that's so easy to break and really hard to fix if you're not an expert.  (You know the deal where you accidentally drag one end during combat so that it has 1 icon below all the others and it completely blocks off all icons in the row below it?)  And that chinese water torture they call a "mini game" for crafting?  I could go on.

EQ2 does have it's niceties (awesome racial diversity, deity questing, good/evil grouping, legend & lore, epic chain quests) but they had to throw out a lot of garbage to get to this point.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Basically every area where the two games differed, Blizzard got it right and Sony got it horribly wrong.

EQ2 Heritage quests knocked the socks off Blizzards vanilla quests imo

I also liked EQ2s public dungeons -- something Blizzard still lacks to this day

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Is that?

o.O

We know, if it ain't GW2 then it just hasn't got that swing, do bap bah do, right?image

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Gallus85

Is that?

o.O

speculation, not facts

havent seen anything concrete yet

They are being purposefully vague.

We also know StoryBricks is involved

I speculated on what some of my points may mean, but the basis of all of what I said is a fact.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

We also know it was in development way back in 2009 and over 2 years ago they changed it from being a theampark like the rest to something totally different . We also know it will be a good game as every mmo that SOE make has been very good and with lots of new stuff in them. Most important is that it is set in the EQ universe.

Apart from that we know very little about it so yeah most is hype.

Originally posted by Nadia

EQ2 Heritage quests knocked the socks off Blizzards vanilla quests imo

I also liked EQ2s public dungeons -- something Blizzard still lacks to this day

Yeap, heritage quests are the best. Not only good lore but they tend to give you a great reason to tour all the level-appropriate dungeons.

Public dungeons have a certain appeal (who can ever forget their first trip to original Blackburrow?).  If I am to be fair, in the era of questing 100% of the time, that over-con/exploiter racing through the dungeon ahead of my group vaporizing our quest mobs gets old in a hurry.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Is that?

o.O

We know, if it ain't GW2 then it just hasn't got that swing, do bap bah do, right?image

Not really. I play A LOT of games besides GW2 mate....

I´m interested in Everquest Next,i played Everquest 2 and looking forward to play EQN too,

i just didn´t understand the hype & amount of posts on the game with so little information about it.

I just wanted you all to expain me what is all this hype about. Is it that hard to believe?

Is it true they plan to launch this year?

regards!

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Is that?

o.O

Not really. I play A LOT of games besides GW2 mate....

I´m interested in Everquest Next,i played Everquest 2 and looking forward to play EQN too,

i just didn´t understand the hype & amount of posts on the game with so little information about it.

I just wanted you all to expain me what is all this hype about. Is it that hard to believe?

regards!

90% of the threads here are created and maintained by a small handful of people that are a little too excited about the IP.  With next to zero real information on EQN, it has become an exercise of digging up old quotes, scavenging Dave Georgeson's and Smedley's wildly interpreted and cryptic tweets, rose-colored nostalgia, hopes and dreams, personal agendas, then liberally shaken and poured into a very large Kool-Aid pitcher to be passed amongst them as a beverage.  Once you know that, then the rest makes sense.

The rest of us try to maintain balance and keep a rational mindset over this pre-reveal Hypercane. 

Myself, I'm a long-time player of EQ and EQ2 for over 12 years.  I, like yourself, am interested in EQN but my expectations and hope are tempered by my experiences with Dave and Smed and the potential reality that implies for the finished product.

As mentioned, it all boils down to wait and see.  10 days left.

Smedley promised that "EQN will be playable at the next SOE Live" (which is on Aug 2nd).  Some people are interpreting that as being ready for launch or ready for short beta then launch.  In actuality, absolutely nothing has been said with regard to release date.

- Raph Koster

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

MMORPG has a lots of sandbox fans and Evercrack addicts. Mix the two together and you get the perfect EQN hype machine...that will probably fall apart on August 2nd.