Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "Ask the Devs a question" thread! (Not suggestions)

Comments

• BeerSamuraiBeerSamurai Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by freakishbean
    Customizable weapons? Bolter fitted with a Scope, sound suppressor, hi-cap mag? Stuff of that nature? Custom designs?

You just described a Stalker Pattern Bolter.

Dreah I'm yunk, wazzit matter to you?

• freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by miguelcaron
    Originally posted by Savij

Can I be a VA for you guys? Please? 

I'll do it for free even.

maybe let us all hear some epic wh40k speach of you? i would really like to know how good you are ;)

Hey Savij,

Are you the same from Dakka Dakka! :-) if yes nice to see you here.

Yes, I support your request.... lets see a sample!

Miguel

Primarch Eternal Crusade and Studio Head Behaviour Online!!

Getting some samples together - my computer isn't studio quality, but I'll get some up for ya'll :)

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

• grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139

Originally posted by freakishbean Customizable weapons? Bolter fitted with a Scope, sound suppressor, hi-cap mag? Stuff of that nature? Custom designs?

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

• mintycmintyc Member Posts: 38

been trying to think of some programing and tech related questions i can ask mr Balthazar.

1. mmos with lots going on in confined areas tend to be very CPU heavy. what are your ideas on dealing with this? multiple processor cores, hyperthreading, offloading to GPU etc.

2. 32 bit client, 64 bit client or both?

3. projectile system or hitscan? also how will you be distrebuting the processing for that?

4. i know you guys cant go into specifics, but whats your approace to monitoring and examining hacks and exploits from player?

5. (this is more of a request actualy) client fps, ping, netgraph monitors?

• wghtopsidewghtopside Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

A system to prevent race/faction hopping?

and please, no fast travel. it kills the world and the battles.

we are currently thinking about how we can prevent race/faction hopping, especially so that there won't be too much spying. but on the other hand there is always the possibility of someone having two or more accounts, so we will try to find a good way to make it still possible in some sort, if players reconsider what faction/race they want to play.

fast travel will be needed in some sort. but don't expect a teleport npc or something like that - we will try to make it according to lore. the world we are building is just too big to just walk from one end to the other when you need to concentrate your troops in specific areas for war :)

Will fast travel structures be as strategic objectives and we can capture them?

Will there be urban combat?

I am also a big fan of running to the actual battle for 30 minutes. Big immersion element, even if it is not so exciting. That actually makes the scouting useful. You cant scout on enemies that are moving through warp, but you can spot an army that is marching through open terrain. Also overuse of fast travel eventually kills actual transport.

Miguel mentioned allying with other factions by war council choice,  will there be a system to prevent "friendly fire" between those factions? I'd really hope not, because I  think that teaming up with race which will be decided by 10 people and those soldiers who still want to fight them are going to be pretty pissed off at both game mechanics and their leaders. So how exactly those politics will be supported in terms of gameplay?

• OniFeeZOniFeeZ Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by wghtopside

we are currently thinking about how we can prevent race/faction hopping, especially so that there won't be too much spying. but on the other hand there is always the possibility of someone having two or more accounts, so we will try to find a good way to make it still possible in some sort, if players reconsider what faction/race they want to play.

fast travel will be needed in some sort. but don't expect a teleport npc or something like that - we will try to make it according to lore. the world we are building is just too big to just walk from one end to the other when you need to concentrate your troops in specific areas for war :)

I am also a big fan of running to the actual battle for 30 minutes. Big immersion element, even if it is not so exciting. That actually makes the scouting useful. You cant scout on enemies that are moving through warp, but you can spot an army that is marching through open terrain. Also overuse of fast travel eventually kills actual transport.

Miguel mentioned allying with other factions by war council choice,  will there be a system to prevent "friendly fire" between those factions? I'd really hope not, because I  think that teaming up with race which will be be decided by 10 people and those soldiers who still want to fight them are going to be pretty pissed off at both game mechanics and their leaders. So how exactly those politics will be supported in terms of gameplay?

I like this idea, but I wonder how it's going to really translate into a *game* environment all that well. It would make not only scouting but interception of enemy supply lines all the more important. But at the end of the day; can they make trudging through the snow (for example) for 30 minutes actually fun?

How about; transport in a bus system? Say you're a space marine, you have to go from point a to point b. Unlike other mmo's, you don't catch a speeder or a flight path per say and fly individually there, but you go into a local queue and have to wait for a Rhino to arrive and then go physically to  your destination. However, like a 'real' Rhino, it has HP and armour values etc, and has a number of pathways to get to point b, which the enemy commander can take advantage of and plan.

Alternatively, maybe there shouldn't be any 'flight path's' at all, and other than logging into the game in the first place (aka; drop pod insertion), all movement in area's should be left up to the players and whether some players can drive transport vehicles.

I don't like drawing comparisons to other MMO's, but if World of Warcraft did anything right, it was the world and it's provinces. Provinces connected to eachother (in more ways then one - caves, roads, etc), there were roads, tiny hovels, largerish towns, forts and campsites, and plenty to explore (despite there not actually being a whole lot of things to do). Will 40KEC have that kind of world or can we expect mostly fortifications and the like? Provinces or "countries"? Other continents? 

On another note, playing Dark Crusade, with it's planet and provinces that were captured, I imagined playing that game on a large, epic MMOish scale in control of a single soldier. How I longed for that kind of game. 40KEC sound kinda like it now :)

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

Originally posted by OniFeeZ

Miguel mentioned allying with other factions by war council choice,  will there be a system to prevent "friendly fire" between those factions? I'd really hope not, because I  think that teaming up with race which will be be decided by 10 people and those soldiers who still want to fight them are going to be pretty pissed off at both game mechanics and their leaders. So how exactly those politics will be supported in terms of gameplay?

I like this idea, but I wonder how it's going to really translate into a *game* environment all that well. It would make not only scouting but interception of enemy supply lines all the more important. But at the end of the day; can they make trudging through the snow (for example) for 30 minutes actually fun?

How about; transport in a bus system? Say you're a space marine, you have to go from point a to point b. Unlike other mmo's, you don't catch a speeder or a flight path per say and fly individually there, but you go into a local queue and have to wait for a Rhino to arrive and then go physically to  your destination. However, like a 'real' Rhino, it has HP and armour values etc, and has a number of pathways to get to point b, which the enemy commander can take advantage of and plan.

Alternatively, maybe there shouldn't be any 'flight path's' at all, and other than logging into the game in the first place (aka; drop pod insertion), all movement in area's should be left up to the players and whether some players can drive transport vehicles.

I actually prefer to see players specializing in transporting troops. :) Believe me, there are such players, and PS2 is a good example.

I actually prefer to see players specializing in transporting troops. :) Believe me, there are such players, and PS2 is a good example.

i to am hopeing for this, rhinos, landraders and maybe even thunderhawks would make ideal troop transports and posible deployable spawn/rearm points.

for solo transportation though i am hoping to see bikes and drop pods.

• GitzStompaGitzStompa Member Posts: 54

About War Council:

How will the War Council be chosen? Will the players just vote for the best players of the race in their opinion and that's it? Or will there be some form of trials/dueling to determine who would be the strongest/most cunning to lead the faction? If so, will the "elections" be different in every race? Like a standard election for Space Marines, and a "HeadButting", or a duel contest for  the Orks?

• patrickbalthazarpatrickbalthazar Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by mintyc

been trying to think of some programing and tech related questions i can ask mr Balthazar.

1. mmos with lots going on in confined areas tend to be very CPU heavy. what are your ideas on dealing with this? multiple processor cores, hyperthreading, offloading to GPU etc.

3. projectile system or hitscan? also how will you be distrebuting the processing for that?

4. i know you guys cant go into specifics, but whats your approace to monitoring and examining hacks and exploits from player?

1) well for starters we will be using multiple cores on the servers, making sure that all gameplay is verified there to prevent cheating. on the client we are going to use multiple cores for gamplay related stuff, gpu for rendering, animations etc.

2) 64bit for sure, maybe we add 32bit if we are ok with memory consumption.

3) both. everything is verified on the servers, so it's not gonna be as quick and snappy as first person shooters can be, but we have done a lot of optimizations and it's all looking really good so far.

4) as already mentioned, all gameplay is verified on the servers, so in basic cheating is not possible. as for e.g. movment, where we need to trust the player input, we are tracking the e.g. the distance and compare it to a formula which basically answers if a movement is possible during x amount of time (e.g. speed hack prevention). other stuff like item transfer, ingame money etc is logged and tracked in database and local files on the servers. there is much more, but cannot go into more details currently :)

5) yes, yes, maybe (we will have one for devs, but not sure if we can integrate that into the release clients)

Patrick Balthazar
    Tech Lead - Behaviour Online
    Lead Programmer - Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
    www.EternalCrusade.com - #eternalcrusade - @lordpada

1) well for starters we will be using multiple cores on the servers, making sure that all gameplay is verified there to prevent cheating. on the client we are going to use multiple cores for gamplay related stuff, gpu for rendering, animations etc.

3) both. everything is verified on the servers, so it's not gonna be as quick and snappy as first person shooters can be, but we have done a lot of optimizations and it's all looking really good so far.

4) as already mentioned, all gameplay is verified on the servers, so in basic cheating is not possible. as for e.g. movment, where we need to trust the player input, we are tracking the e.g. the distance and compare it to a formula which basically answers if a movement is possible during x amount of time (e.g. speed hack prevention). other stuff like item transfer, ingame money etc is logged and tracked in database and local files on the servers. there is much more, but cannot go into more details currently :)

5) yes, yes, maybe (we will have one for devs, but not sure if we can integrate that into the release clients)

well thats all sorts of awsome, your answers to 1 and 2 make me paticularly happy :)

the projectile system sounds paticularly intresting, will it be purely a ballistic trajectory or will the system be taking into account of additional factors like self propeled projectiles (bolter rounds etc), wind and or variable gravity?

the projectile system sounds paticularly intresting, will it be purely a ballistic trajectory or will the system be taking into account of additional factors like self propeled projectiles (bolter rounds etc), wind and or variable gravity?

hard to say atm - we are planning to have weather and weather effecting the gameplay - if it will effect it this much - will depend on load and stress tests of the servers i guess, don't forget physics is expensive, especially if you have a lot of players doing a lot of stuff at the same time ;)

Patrick Balthazar

• grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139

nice, good answer.

and what about heavy lag player? only one server can give problem for player too far away.

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

• SavijSavij Member Posts: 341

maybe let us all hear some epic wh40k speach of you? i would really like to know how good you are ;)

Hey Savij,

Miguel

ya its me miguel ^^

if you see a Savij somewhere its mostly me :P

and this here is my mainforum, just found the thread about EC on dakkadakka via google ^^

found first ingame pic on dakkadakka

thx to share this with us miguel :P

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

Hey Savij,

Miguel

ya its me miguel ^^

and this here is my mainforum, just found the thread about EC on dakkadakka via google ^^

You magnificient bastard! Is dat some Black Legion I see before me? ;) I made a recording, a vow of the black templars.

https://soundcloud.com/armyghy/accept-any-challenge

Also, It's not studio quality, unfortunatly. But I hope you guys get the feel of it and consider it :)

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

• Valrak40kValrak40k Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Freak, you may want to step back from your microphone, when you shout and are too close it tends to ruin the audio :)

• Valrak40kValrak40k Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Another question is how is server connectivity going to work, I've heard that it will be one 'big' server but can I play with my guild friends from around the world? If so how will the connection actaully work?

How will the camera work when player executes another player? Will it be cinematic angles like in Space Marine or the camera angle won't change?

• SavijSavij Member Posts: 341

Hey Savij,

Miguel

ya its me miguel ^^

You magnificient bastard! Is dat some Black Legion I see before me? ;) I made a recording, a vow of the black templars.

https://soundcloud.com/armyghy/accept-any-challenge

Also, It's not studio quality, unfortunatly. But I hope you guys get the feel of it and consider it :)

kinda good voice and kinda powerful^^ (for sure it needs some work in a studio to fit it in a wh40k voice)

How will the camera work when player executes another player? Will it be cinematic angles like in Space Marine or the camera angle won't change?

as miguel said "you can make a video while executing the SM chaptermaster and load it up on youtube"

we can imagine that we will have cinematic angles

(i think miguel said that in the russian E3 interview)

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

i to am hopeing for this, rhinos, landraders and maybe even thunderhawks would make ideal troop transports and posible deployable spawn/rearm points.

for solo transportation though i am hoping to see bikes and drop pods.

urban combat - if so, then very limited i guess; don't expect fully build cities, there is war everywhere, so if anything it will be more like a destroyed city.

friendly fire is still up for discussions - I am a big fan of being able to kill your teammates when you are not careful, but that means we need to make the system/UI so distinct and make sure you can recognize your comrades very easy, which e.g. with some color schemes might be difficult - we'll see. the last word is not spoken yet.

there will be structure you can capture, and regions to make your own that way - that might include any fast travel system we implement too - but for now, we are only discussing vehicles which are player driven, if we implement some sort of teleport/warp device or not, is not sure yet - i personally like the idea of a player driven infra structure. we'll have a look if we can do this maybe with the lore and game :)

i hope for bikes too, pods will be there for sure in some form (you need to get from spaceship down to the planet ;) )

Patrick Balthazar

Originally posted by GitzStompa

About War Council:

How will the War Council be chosen? Will the players just vote for the best players of the race in their opinion and that's it? Or will there be some form of trials/dueling to determine who would be the strongest/most cunning to lead the faction? If so, will the "elections" be different in every race? Like a standard election for Space Marines, and a "HeadButting", or a duel contest for  the Orks?

I think I mentioned it already - it will be a combination of 'skill to unlock' in some sort and a voting system. so not everyone can become part of the council. i personally don't like the idea of fighting to become a leader, because leading is not about being the best fighter, its way more about strategy and the big picture. how the mechanics exactly are going to be is not to be revealed yet :)

Patrick Balthazar

I don't like drawing comparisons to other MMO's, but if World of Warcraft did anything right, it was the world and it's provinces. Provinces connected to eachother (in more ways then one - caves, roads, etc), there were roads, tiny hovels, largerish towns, forts and campsites, and plenty to explore (despite there not actually being a whole lot of things to do). Will 40KEC have that kind of world or can we expect mostly fortifications and the like? Provinces or "countries"? Other continents? 

On another note, playing Dark Crusade, with it's planet and provinces that were captured, I imagined playing that game on a large, epic MMOish scale in control of a single soldier. How I longed for that kind of game. 40KEC sound kinda like it now :)

thats hard to answer - there will be distinct places and differences in areas - how they are connected together is more like a question for our Lead Level Designer - Brother Stevenus! I'll make sure he has a look at this post!

Patrick Balthazar

Originally posted by grigdusher

and what about heavy lag player? only one server can give problem for player too far away.

well that's something we will tackle when it's time for it. But, we are implementing a gameplay/gamemechanic which is not too dependent on having the fastest possible ping - that said, ofc it matters if you have 40ms or 250ms - to make sure that this is not a too big problem, we have a system in place that does movement prediction and a state synchronisation with the servers. that way we will adapt the gameplay of every player on the same server so that they have mostly the same experience. i know this sounds a bit fuzzy, but just from experience with e.g. TSW where we already used a "Single Server Technology" i can tell you that it won't be a too big problem.

Patrick Balthazar

Originally posted by Valrak40k
    Another question is how is server connectivity going to work, I've heard that it will be one 'big' server but can I play with my guild friends from around the world? If so how will the connection actaully work?

see my post above ;)

I hope i got all the questions answered so far :) if not poke me!

Oh and thx Savij your help is appreciated! if there is something wrong with your answers i will comment in time :)

Patrick Balthazar