Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "Ask the Devs a question" thread! (Not suggestions)

11416181920

Comments

  • SavijSavij Member Posts: 341

    hey patrick

    in the vigila mortis forum you answerd a question about equip



    Dedicated weapon classes - for sure, we still want every class to have a melee and a ranged component, but your primary weapon will be select able.

    does that mean that it will be like in spacemarine? where my tactical always had a combat knife and a boltpistal as secondary weapon?

    or will he be able to carry a chainsword or a plasma pistol? or to early to ask that? :D
     

    be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

    Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

  • patrickbalthazarpatrickbalthazar Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by Savij

    hey patrick

    in the vigila mortis forum you answerd a question about equip



    Dedicated weapon classes - for sure, we still want every class to have a melee and a ranged component, but your primary weapon will be select able.

    does that mean that it will be like in spacemarine? where my tactical always had a combat knife and a boltpistal as secondary weapon?

     

    or will he be able to carry a chainsword or a plasma pistol? or to early to ask that? :D
     

    yes, think of space marine, we want to be able to always fight melee and ranged, but which component is the stronger one, the 'primary' one is up to the player to decide, by changing loadout and skills.

    Patrick Balthazar
    Tech Lead - Behaviour Online
    Lead Programmer - Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
    www.EternalCrusade.com - #eternalcrusade - @lordpada

  • SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar
    Originally posted by Savij

    hey patrick

    in the vigila mortis forum you answerd a question about equip



    Dedicated weapon classes - for sure, we still want every class to have a melee and a ranged component, but your primary weapon will be select able.

    does that mean that it will be like in spacemarine? where my tactical always had a combat knife and a boltpistal as secondary weapon?

     

    or will he be able to carry a chainsword or a plasma pistol? or to early to ask that? :D
     

    yes, think of space marine, we want to be able to always fight melee and ranged, but which component is the stronger one, the 'primary' one is up to the player to decide, by changing loadout and skills.

    hmhm that will be good in a gaming way (balance)

    but extremly bad in a RP way but i will not judge until i played it so you do not need to fear my wrath.... yet :D

    be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

    Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

  • patrickbalthazarpatrickbalthazar Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by Savij
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar
    Originally posted by Savij

    hey patrick

    in the vigila mortis forum you answerd a question about equip



    Dedicated weapon classes - for sure, we still want every class to have a melee and a ranged component, but your primary weapon will be select able.

    does that mean that it will be like in spacemarine? where my tactical always had a combat knife and a boltpistal as secondary weapon?

     

    or will he be able to carry a chainsword or a plasma pistol? or to early to ask that? :D
     

    yes, think of space marine, we want to be able to always fight melee and ranged, but which component is the stronger one, the 'primary' one is up to the player to decide, by changing loadout and skills.

    hmhm that will be good in a gaming way (balance)

    but extremly bad in a RP way but i will not judge until i played it so you do not need to fear my wrath.... yet :D

    hmm, not sure why you have a RP problem with it - let say you choose a ranged 'class' and use a storm bolter twohanded, you will also carry a knife to be able to do some melee dmg, else you would not be able to defend yourself at all. also if you carry lets say a thunderhammer you will carry a pistol to do some ranged damage so the enemy can't flee.

    Patrick Balthazar
    Tech Lead - Behaviour Online
    Lead Programmer - Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
    www.EternalCrusade.com - #eternalcrusade - @lordpada

  • BatpimpBatpimp Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Odolusas

     

    Batpimp - the only maintenance you would be doing is taking the least amount of shots yourself thus protecting your armor from degrading, and shooting your gun whit the least possible ammo spent but in most effective way, thus slowing degradation of your gun, and unjamming by reloading when needed.

    Ofc you wont spend an hour cleaning your gun and repairing it that would be done by Techmarines(NPC and Players) or any other dedicated crafter classes if there is any,i do hope there is. Thus(in your base or on battlefield) by NPC or Player. And no you wont be repairing your stuff every 5 minutes ,more like every hour or two if you have done nothing but shooting and dieing in that time.I have a lot more on how this works in my own thread.

    Those two games have nothing to do whit what i said, i mention Stalker game(first person horor shooter whit rpg mechanics) for example (Stalker Call of Pripyat) and those mechanics made the game (this is if you dont know the most ATMOSPHERIC game out there!!!) and one of my favorite games.

    Planetside 2 is a fail. I would rather play any Battlefield game than it, as mechanics in Battlefield are better, smaller scale cooperation is very viable and as shooter it is all around better. Yes it is fps and you do same every time but it is done so well whit great focus on what makes game fun(competitive game on smaller to large scale), that you never get bored.

    Remember if there are not enough mechanics to take you away from constant shooting and combat (supporting other characters and players,crafting,managing resources and ammo,finding books and tomes whit lore,exploring whit friends,unique features,dueling,pve,equipment care and other stuff i have mentioned in my thread that have my own 10 pages of all sorts of stuff) it will get stale fast, as even the oxygen is poisonous in high concentration.

    It is good that this game will have a lot of what i mention but it could never hurt to have more, as the only thing this game should share whit Planetside 2 is massive scale of war and nothing more (if it wants to stay strong, constantly grow in player numbers or stay stable at least). As i want it to be successful it need a lot of variation is what i think. I hope devs look at my own thread for more info on how to do so.

    Ofc they need the stable launch of the game, and often updates and upgrades and i hope they do.

    Expansions whit new playable races is a must.

    I know i am asking here for much but, it is wh40k and it needs the best stuff.

    Hola,

     

    I agree that the only thing i want from Planetside 2 is the scale. I MUCH RATHER play BF3. It is more intense and more balanced. In fact i play it every day! and i stopped playing planetside in like 2 weeks. I still want ZERO maintenance of my weapons or armor. i dont want to be armor collecting, item collecting, armor reparing, armor maintenance. That all is fine for the tabletop or and a game like Diablo or WoW. This game is not meant to be that type of game though. From what i see they just want a big ole multiplayer Space marine with a bit of character progression. I dont want to repair/fix it EVER. I just want to equip and fight like in battlefield 3. If you want to craft by making it look cool thats GREAT!. Add some colors, add lighting effects, add different sounds. That is all fine but i dont want to be fixing weapons in any way. I want it just like bf3.

    you said "Remember if there are not enough mechanics to take you away from constant shooting and combat", GOOD!. I don't want anything to take away from the time in combat. I think the tyranid-relic-gathering dungeons is awesome idea. I think capturing points for resources is awesome. I do NOT think wasting time for fixing/maintenance of my weapons is fun.

     

    I have seen some of your other suggestions and I did not like them either. For example, The one about 5 council members voted in and 5 are open to 1v1 tournaments...I can see the easy problem with this too..People "throwing" the fights for cash/favors..we see it in boxing. Also classes are not balanced to fight everything, which classes would fight in this 1v1 duel? ASM VS TAC? Two ASM? that doesnt make sense. I also thought that was a bad idea. They should just stick with what is easy and then add complexity.

     

    The acronym I liked that Blizzard used in balancing their games in the past is (KISS). Keep it simple stupid!

  • SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar

    hmm, not sure why you have a RP problem with it - let say you choose a ranged 'class' and use a storm bolter twohanded, you will also carry a knife to be able to do some melee dmg, else you would not be able to defend yourself at all. also if you carry lets say a thunderhammer you will carry a pistol to do some ranged damage so the enemy can't flee.

    ah sorry

    for me the problem would be that i cant carry a bolter as main weapon

    a bolt or plasma pistol for sec. weapon

    and a chainsword for melee

     

    in the novels almost all marines have a chainsword even if they have a bolter for ranged combat.

     

    and that does not sound possible in EC (if i understand you right)

    be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

    Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

  • patrickbalthazarpatrickbalthazar Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by Savij
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar

    hmm, not sure why you have a RP problem with it - let say you choose a ranged 'class' and use a storm bolter twohanded, you will also carry a knife to be able to do some melee dmg, else you would not be able to defend yourself at all. also if you carry lets say a thunderhammer you will carry a pistol to do some ranged damage so the enemy can't flee.

    ah sorry

    for me the problem would be that i cant carry a bolter as main weapon

    a bolt or plasma pistol for sec. weapon

    and a chainsword for melee

     

    in the novels almost all marines have a chainsword even if they have a bolter for ranged combat.

     

    and that does not sound possible in EC (if i understand you right)

    so you mean like in space marine? that is exactly what i mean, but you will have some sort of restriction, you e.g. won't be able to carry e.g. a two handed ranged weapon and a two handed melee weapon (as of current design) you will have to say you are either melee class or ranged class, but having a bolter and a onehanded sword, sure, like in space marine!

    Patrick Balthazar
    Tech Lead - Behaviour Online
    Lead Programmer - Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
    www.EternalCrusade.com - #eternalcrusade - @lordpada

  • SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar

    so you mean like in space marine? that is exactly what i mean, but you will have some sort of restriction, you e.g. won't be able to carry e.g. a two handed ranged weapon and a two handed melee weapon (as of current design) you will have to say you are either melee class or ranged class, but having a bolter and a onehanded sword, sure, like in space marine!

    ah i was talking about the multiplayer but if it is like in the singleplayer than its fine to me :)

     

    keep on that good work !

    be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

    Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

  • grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139
    i imagine all class and race have different loadout,  and or like in space marine multiplayer where some traits permits to carry more weapon or weapon otherwise you can't use (like the bolter for the assault marine)

    war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

  • zmalamuthzmalamuth Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar
    Originally posted by Savij
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar

    hmm, not sure why you have a RP problem with it - let say you choose a ranged 'class' and use a storm bolter twohanded, you will also carry a knife to be able to do some melee dmg, else you would not be able to defend yourself at all. also if you carry lets say a thunderhammer you will carry a pistol to do some ranged damage so the enemy can't flee.

    ah sorry

    for me the problem would be that i cant carry a bolter as main weapon

    a bolt or plasma pistol for sec. weapon

    and a chainsword for melee

     

    in the novels almost all marines have a chainsword even if they have a bolter for ranged combat.

     

    and that does not sound possible in EC (if i understand you right)

    so you mean like in space marine? that is exactly what i mean, but you will have some sort of restriction, you e.g. won't be able to carry e.g. a two handed ranged weapon and a two handed melee weapon (as of current design) you will have to say you are either melee class or ranged class, but having a bolter and a onehanded sword, sure, like in space marine!

    So there are gonna be available like 2 different sets of weapons(once we chose our loadout)?

    Like primary would be bolter(or a Flamer or anykind of twohand weapon) and the second loadout would be some type of sword, and a handgun (bolt pistol, lasgun etc....)?

  • SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by zmalamuth
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar
    Originally posted by Savij
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar

    hmm, not sure why you have a RP problem with it - let say you choose a ranged 'class' and use a storm bolter twohanded, you will also carry a knife to be able to do some melee dmg, else you would not be able to defend yourself at all. also if you carry lets say a thunderhammer you will carry a pistol to do some ranged damage so the enemy can't flee.

    ah sorry

    for me the problem would be that i cant carry a bolter as main weapon

    a bolt or plasma pistol for sec. weapon

    and a chainsword for melee

     

    in the novels almost all marines have a chainsword even if they have a bolter for ranged combat.

     

    and that does not sound possible in EC (if i understand you right)

    so you mean like in space marine? that is exactly what i mean, but you will have some sort of restriction, you e.g. won't be able to carry e.g. a two handed ranged weapon and a two handed melee weapon (as of current design) you will have to say you are either melee class or ranged class, but having a bolter and a onehanded sword, sure, like in space marine!

    So there are gonna be available like 2 different sets of weapons(once we chose our loadout)?

    Like primary would be bolter(or a Flamer or anykind of dualwield weapon) and the second loadout would be some type of sword, and a handgun (bolt pistol, lasgun etc....)?

    hm but i think some classes would need more

    some AT stuff for example!

    be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

    Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

  • zmalamuthzmalamuth Member Posts: 9

    For AT we could have Melta bomb (but need to come upclose and personal), or something bigger for Long range.

    and didnt they also confirmed power fists and lightning claws? think both of those can be used for AT.

    So an assault marine, could have first set of weapons, both hands with lighning claws, and second set of weapons, bolt pistol and chainsword, with krak/frag or melta bombs, that could be used with both sets of weapons.

  • freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by zmalamuth

    For AT we could have Melta bomb (but need to come upclose and personal), or something bigger for Long range.

    and didnt they also confirmed power fists and lightning claws? think both of those can be used for AT.

    So an assault marine, could have first set of weapons, both hands with lighning claws, and second set of weapons, bolt pistol and chainsword, with krak/frag or melta bombs, that could be used with both sets of weapons.

    They confirmed Power Fists and Lightning Claws, and they can certainly eat through tank armor. HOWEVER! Getting close is the tank is the problem. Fire ports, sponsons, and that main gun can wreck everyone and everything. Thats why you need tactics to get in close - like in Battlefield, guys can sneak up on armor and drop C4 on the hull. But this is 40k, where sponsons have 180* movement. 

    A squad of troops equipped with jump packs and meltas can get in and do the job better then a foot slogger with a lightning claw. 

    Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

  • SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by freakishbean
    Originally posted by zmalamuth

    For AT we could have Melta bomb (but need to come upclose and personal), or something bigger for Long range.

    and didnt they also confirmed power fists and lightning claws? think both of those can be used for AT.

    So an assault marine, could have first set of weapons, both hands with lighning claws, and second set of weapons, bolt pistol and chainsword, with krak/frag or melta bombs, that could be used with both sets of weapons.

    They confirmed Power Fists and Lightning Claws, and they can certainly eat through tank armor. HOWEVER! Getting close is the tank is the problem. Fire ports, sponsons, and that main gun can wreck everyone and everything. Thats why you need tactics to get in close - like in Battlefield, guys can sneak up on armor and drop C4 on the hull. But this is 40k, where sponsons have 180* movement. 

    A squad of troops equipped with jump packs and meltas can get in and do the job better then a foot slogger with a lightning claw. 

    well that sounds ok if there is 1 tank and 2 or more assaults

    but if there are 2 tanks or 1 tank with a squad on his side, how will you kill the tank? or when the assaults reach the tank and the tankcrew just jumps out and fight directly

    i think the tactical should have access to a rocket launcher and he should get a disadvantage when he is carring one (slower movement, bigger target or no pistol) this way not everyone will carry a rocketlauncher with them

    if only devastator would have rocketlauncher it could get really useless if he is out of ammo or there is no tank to shot at cause it would be his main weapon

     

    sorry for off topic, this is no discussion thread^^

    be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

    Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

  • grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139

    weapon that can't damage some target (or can only from the back) it's a great think  for tactics and immersion, also i imagine weapon like boltgun will have some effect on light armored target. whe you found an enemy who can't be damaged you must do a  "tacticool fallback" and try a different tactics, not only dakka dakka everythink.

    war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

  • freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176

    Heard some great discussions in my thread, but let's not veer away from the main topic ;). This is the "ask the devs a question" thread. Lets try to redirect discussion elsewhere, so we don't lose sight of asked questions and follow-up answers (In fairness, I'm guilty dropping a few off-topic posts myself.)

    My question: Psyker abilities

    When it comes to throwing out psychic attacks, will it be so simple as aiming and "shooting"? Or will there have to be a build-up of energy in order to direct the attack? Just making mention that lore wise, VERY few psykers are able to throw around such abilities without catastrophic effects. And even then, it wore them down to the brink of death, such as Tigurius of the Ultramarines, reportedly the most powerful Librarian Space Marine. Will there be any chances of extremely negative side effects, either towards the player or the PLAYERS TEAM if psychic abilities are abused? I've had more then a few Librarians brains explode due to bad dice rolls on the tabletop.

    Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

  • BatpimpBatpimp Member UncommonPosts: 29

    Hey patrick.

    thanks for answering our questions.

     

    My question:

     

    in big massive battles I feel healers are relagated to spend most of their time not enjoying the fight and only spend it healing. A good example to avoid this "healer class" was made by guild wars 2. In it they tried to break the "holy trinity" of tank/dps/healing by making every character able to heal/rez in a certain way.

    How do you plan to make healers NOT BORING? I have played healers before but they slowdown the pace of the game. In your creative design process are you taking into account that having too many healers creates less fighting? less WAR?

    I am curious to know your perspective on creating dedicated healers and how that would affect your game.

     

  • PolicenautPolicenaut Member Posts: 21

    I guess I'm compelled to ask about itemization for the Eldar. Weapons and armor for Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines and Orks seems to have a bit more variety. What I mean by that is for example your typical space marine can wield a bolter, a melta, a lascannon, etc. Where for Eldar, the Aspect Warriors are a bit more limited in what they can bring onto the battlefield (Fire Dragons use fusion guns, Dire Avengers use avenger shuriken catapults, etc)

     

    My question is, how do you plan to make progression for Eldar classes varied and interesting?

    image
  • patrickbalthazarpatrickbalthazar Member UncommonPosts: 133

    Originally posted by freakishbean

    Heard some great discussions in my thread, but let's not veer away from the main topic ;). This is the "ask the devs a question" thread. Lets try to redirect discussion elsewhere, so we don't lose sight of asked questions and follow-up answers (In fairness, I'm guilty dropping a few off-topic posts myself.)

    My question: Psyker abilities

    When it comes to throwing out psychic attacks, will it be so simple as aiming and "shooting"? Or will there have to be a build-up of energy in order to direct the attack? Just making mention that lore wise, VERY few psykers are able to throw around such abilities without catastrophic effects. And even then, it wore them down to the brink of death, such as Tigurius of the Ultramarines, reportedly the most powerful Librarian Space Marine. Will there be any chances of extremely negative side effects, either towards the player or the PLAYERS TEAM if psychic abilities are abused? I've had more then a few Librarians brains explode due to bad dice rolls on the tabletop.

    we'll my guess here is that for most of the psychic abilities we don't want to kill the 'caster' himself ;) now that does not mean we will completly deviate from lore, but at this point the best I can give you is that stuff is not final.

    We will definitely make sure that we are close to lore but not on expense of gameplay.

    Originally posted by Batpimp

    Hey patrick.

    thanks for answering our questions.

     

    My question:

     

    in big massive battles I feel healers are relagated to spend most of their time not enjoying the fight and only spend it healing. A good example to avoid this "healer class" was made by guild wars 2. In it they tried to break the "holy trinity" of tank/dps/healing by making every character able to heal/rez in a certain way.

    How do you plan to make healers NOT BORING? I have played healers before but they slowdown the pace of the game. In your creative design process are you taking into account that having too many healers creates less fighting? less WAR?

    I am curious to know your perspective on creating dedicated healers and how that would affect your game.

     

    we will not have the usual MMO class system. If your player has some sort of healing ability it will be usable while doing combat in some sort. I seriously doubt there will be dedicated healers - that would just not fit with this type of game at all.

    Originally posted by Policenaut

    I guess I'm compelled to ask about itemization for the Eldar. Weapons and armor for Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines and Orks seems to have a bit more variety. What I mean by that is for example your typical space marine can wield a bolter, a melta, a lascannon, etc. Where for Eldar, the Aspect Warriors are a bit more limited in what they can bring onto the battlefield (Fire Dragons use fusion guns, Dire Avengers use avenger shuriken catapults, etc)

     

    My question is, how do you plan to make progression for Eldar classes varied and interesting?

    Let me come back on this as soon we have finalized the design for the Eldar - but for sure we will have a variety of skills, armor and weapons, not less than other factions for sure!

    Patrick Balthazar
    Tech Lead - Behaviour Online
    Lead Programmer - Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
    www.EternalCrusade.com - #eternalcrusade - @lordpada

  • NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

    Chapter,Craftworld(...etc) resource are divided in faction(like Biel-tan members capture a location and only them get the resource) or just taken by the whole faction?

    Any future plans after the first war decided(yes, Eldar going to win) or thats too far to look at the moment? :)

    (like: the second war taken place in the same planet or in another?, the npc faction is the same or another like chaos Malal belivers or nekrons? any plans implement huge scale space combat?)

     

  • SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by Nonderyon

    Chapter,Craftworld(...etc) resource are divided in faction(like Biel-tan members capture a location and only them get the resource) or just taken by the whole faction?

    the factions subfaction are a team and the warcouncil speaks for the whole faction so i dont think that they will not share ressources

    Any future plans after the first war decided(yes, Eldar going to win) or thats too far to look at the moment? :)

    (like: the second war taken place in the same planet or in another?, the npc faction is the same or another like chaos Malal belivers or nekrons? any plans implement huge scale space combat?)

    an early concept said that there would be a new planet after a campain but dont know if this still is the thing atm

    be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

    Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

  • AcontiAconti Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar
     We are listening to all of you and we will make sure as many players as possible will be happy with the system in the end - that is for sure!

    And just as conclusion to this: thx all for the interest and the dedication you show, I am sure together we will make a great game everyone can be proud of!

     

    Hi Patrick, long time lurker at this thread but just wanted to pass my thanks and appreciation of your time in all the questions you answer.

    I love this open approach and direct interaction between the game developers and the fans/enthusiasts. It really feels like Eternal Crusade is being produced as a full team effort :)

    Keep up the great work and fantastic interaction/communication.

  • patrickbalthazarpatrickbalthazar Member UncommonPosts: 133

    Originally posted by Savij

    Originally posted by Nonderyon

    Chapter,Craftworld(...etc) resource are divided in faction(like Biel-tan members capture a location and only them get the resource) or just taken by the whole faction?

    the factions subfaction are a team and the warcouncil speaks for the whole faction so i dont think that they will not share ressources

    Any future plans after the first war decided(yes, Eldar going to win) or thats too far to look at the moment? :)

    (like: the second war taken place in the same planet or in another?, the npc faction is the same or another like chaos Malal belivers or nekrons? any plans implement huge scale space combat?)

    an early concept said that there would be a new planet after a campain but dont know if this still is the thing atm

    well the idea of a campaign is that most of the planet will be involved, but it doesn't mean that a planet belongs to one faction at the end of the campaign - we will add more territory (new planets) at some point, but probably not after each campaign ;) Also defeated factions can have their next campaign be to win back territories etc.

    The Tyranids will stay the only combatable NPC faction for a while - we have plans to change that after launch, but to early to discuss that :)

    Originally posted by aconti

    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar
     We are listening to all of you and we will make sure as many players as possible will be happy with the system in the end - that is for sure!

    And just as conclusion to this: thx all for the interest and the dedication you show, I am sure together we will make a great game everyone can be proud of!

     

    Hi Patrick, long time lurker at this thread but just wanted to pass my thanks and appreciation of your time in all the questions you answer.

    I love this open approach and direct interaction between the game developers and the fans/enthusiasts. It really feels like Eternal Crusade is being produced as a full team effort :)

    Keep up the great work and fantastic interaction/communication.

    Thx - we will, it is great to work with the fanbase so close together, and you can be sure we will continue doing that as much as possible. We are makeing a game with you guys together for you and us, so any feedback and any suggestions are always welcome, and when we are ready to show stuff we will, not only to show progress and do marketing, but also to get you guys involved early and get feedback on what makes you guys happy and what not.

    Patrick Balthazar
    Tech Lead - Behaviour Online
    Lead Programmer - Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
    www.EternalCrusade.com - #eternalcrusade - @lordpada

  • quotheravingquotheraving Member UncommonPosts: 280

    Having been completely put off Planetside 2 by the huge amount of blatant cheating and hacks I can speak from experience about how cheating can wreck the enjoyment of a skill based game.

    Obviously PS2 is a free to play game so the threat of bans hold less weight and hopefully people will have more monetary investment in EC and have more to lose, but people are people and if they find exploitable code they will still hack it.

     

    So my question is whether anti-cheating and anti-hacking measures are being considered from the outset?  

    image

  • patrickbalthazarpatrickbalthazar Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by quotheraving

    Having been completely put off Planetside 2 by the huge amount of blatant cheating and hacks I can speak from experience about how cheating can wreck the enjoyment of a skill based game.

    Obviously PS2 is a free to play game so the threat of bans hold less weight and hopefully people will have more monetary investment in EC and have more to lose, but people are people and if they find exploitable code they will still hack it.

     

    So my question is whether anti-cheating and anti-hacking measures are being considered from the outset?  

    in one word - YES

    to be a bit more detailed: our strategy is the following:

    - make game mechanics which don't ask for cheating (probably the most important one)

    - make all gameplay verified on the servers (e.g. position updates aka "can this player have been traveling this far in this time?")

    - add logs and metrics to observe player behavior and to be able to replecate it (needed for finding countermeasures)

    - have a dedicated team on working for anti-cheats (mostly transfer mechanics to be observed by the servers automatically)

    when it comes to client side cheats, e.g. wallhacks, we will not create crazy anti-cheats - those things will always be hacked no matter what you do, but as mentioned in the first example - if the gameplay does not need you to be wallhacking, then we won much more - less interest in building a cheat :)

    Patrick Balthazar
    Tech Lead - Behaviour Online
    Lead Programmer - Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
    www.EternalCrusade.com - #eternalcrusade - @lordpada

Sign In or Register to comment.