Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has there ever been talk of a new server?

VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
?

Comments

• NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

Why?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    I'm personally not clamoring for a new server.  It would be interesting however to see everybody starting from scratch.  It would perhaps not be a good idea to even think of one untill the current game population doubles or even triples.
  • Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855

Well if the game has the ammount of subs like wow or eq2 did then :P There wud be 3 or 4!

But atm theres only bout 12k ppl on at one time so no

Originally posted by Veiled_light
    only bout 12k ppl on at one time

All in one "world" able to interact with each other...I think the word "only" diminishes the signifigance of this fact. But ANYWAY, there has never been talk of this. Everyone being on the same "server" is one of the cool things in EVE.

Look through the forums, there have been discussions after discussions on "catching up" and it's not much of an issue these days because you have to, pretty much, specialize. That's the condensed version of the bottom line.

Also, if you get out of University today after studying law, will you ever catch up to an experienced lawyer who has been in the profession for 10 years? Probably not. Could you win a case against him? Possibly.

It's all in how you decide to use your time training which skills ::::20::

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

• Cobra1107Cobra1107 Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by Veiled_light
    Well if the game has the ammount of subs like wow or eq2 did then :P There wud be 3 or 4!

But atm theres only bout 12k ppl on at one time so no

*slaps forehead*

12,000 people on one server at once. You know this is a record, and no mmorpg has come within 4,000 of this, right?

Even though a lot of people play WoW or EQ2, they are all spread out over 20+ gaming worlds/servers.

Dur.

• NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

Shards suck.

Everyone playing on the same server "together" is one of the best things about EVE.

• Cobra1107Cobra1107 Member Posts: 78

Hmm, I think that's a big misconception. You see ships as often as you did in EnB, the only difference is that they look a lot smaller since it's more spread out. Like in EnB, you'd get to a warp gate and have a ship or two there, and he'd be right on your same path so you'd be close. The only difference with EvE is, it's a lot bigger so the ships appear a lot smaller and more rare.

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

I've spent about the last three weeks down in Impass with my corps and even there, 40 jumps out of empire , in a little cavern of 0.0 space, I usually fly by dozens of people wherever I'm headed. If you go to major trade routes and transportation highways, you'll see 100's of people in local so, I don't think the game is that "spaced out", sure most systems in the game rarely see more than a few people per hour but, that's the way the game was designed, people grouping in important areas to extract its ressources and try and fend off their ennemies from doing the same.

As for a new server, seriously, that would be the single most idiotic thing to do. CCP has spent so much time and effort to get their server to the point at which it is to handle the huge ammounts of traffic it sees everyday so that everyone can play together at the same time, shards or multiple servers simply spread out the playerbase and generally make things boring. I've seen other games that have had some pretty bad experiences doing so, you often end up with 1 server that is euro time (75% of the population fluxates during europeen time zones), have the same for eastern time zone and well as pacific and so on. Since there would be less population of each server, people would choose servers who actualy have people online when they are so you'd end up having some fairly empty servers around the clock.

The way things are now, with the huge alliances and numerous corporations, we have fleets that can take over conquerable stations and gain some territorial advante for a few hours then, when it starts getting late for them, people from western time zones login to play and the numbers start to equal out, eventually the western time zones will outnumber the eastern then, they can start to recover territory they lost. Balances out since most of the alliances have players from all time zones to ensure they have people protecting their assets around the clock.

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

Ya Eve has to have one server it just wudn't work with 2
  • RadmuzRadmuz Member Posts: 85

The world of EVE is so large that reducing the population density would have a negative impact on it. The only way they need a new server is if they double in accounts. This is something that I seriously doubt we will see with the style of game EVE is.

Looking at the success of two other games with pvp in them, DaoC and WOW, EVE could learn a lesson if they want a higher customer base. Currently it is the best space game out there, but with so many players feeling like they are going to be ganked or scammed there is no way they are going to grow to that point.

Originally posted by Radmuz
    The world of EVE is so large that reducing the population density would have a negative impact on it. The only way they need a new server is if they double in accounts. This is something that I seriously doubt we will see with the style of game EVE is.Looking at the success of two other games with pvp in them, DaoC and WOW, EVE could learn a lesson if they want a higher customer base. Currently it is the best space game out there, but with so many players feeling like they are going to be ganked or scammed there is no way they are going to grow to that point.

I highly doubt that more than doubling the number would be cause for another server. There are so many areas of the "universe" that are nearly empty of people.

As for doubting it will double, that's your opinion. I started about a year and a half ago, the "record" for them, at that time was about 7k users at one time. It now reaches 13k users and is gaining more and more popularity.

Hopefully they will never take a lead from any of these games, it is unique and obviously doing well.

As for the whiners that get scammed and ganked that you hear whining constantly on the forums, they are whining to their own kind because the majority of us have learned to ignore them...so the forums are "full" of these kinds of stories, but there is very little basis to them. I have never been scammed and I rarely get into any kind of PvP, and I live in low-sec space 99% of the time.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

• NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

NFWolfDude speaks the truth.