Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Guild Wars 2: ArenaNet’s Master Plan for 2013

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet has set a terrific pace of development over the past few months. Now the time has come to reveal the "master plan" for the balance of the year. We have a terrific preview for you to read before heading to the comments to hash it out.

Yesterday I had the chance to catch up with Guild Wars 2’s Game Director Colin Johanson to talk about the metric buttload of an update he put out via the official Guild Wars 2 site today. In short, there is a whole lot of new stuff coming to Tyria before the end of 2013 and I’m fairly certain you’ll have a hard time arguing with any of the additions.  Unless of course you like free features and content... then I guess you’ll hate this little article.  Before we dive into the bits of Colin’s blog that we talked about on our call, let me give you a handy-dandy bullet point list detailing the many new things coming to GW2 in the latter half of the year. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: ArenaNet’s Master Plan for 2013.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Lots of good stuff here!   My only problem is the bringing back of the orbs. I never liked them in the first place and was glad they got rid of them. 
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I don't think they're bringing them back specifically, just something else in their place.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I'll be in my bunk.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• DisxxxDisxxx Member Posts: 3

Allow me to get XP and level my character in sPVP and I'd be back in a heartbeat. Until then it'll sit gathering dust on my hard drive.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Disxxx

Allow me to get XP and level my character in sPVP and I'd be back in a heartbeat. Until then it'll sit gathering dust on my hard drive.

sPvP is meant to be on the outside of the leveling experience. You're automatically fully level 80 in sPvP, and you level your sPvP experience bar. You can level in WvW however if you want to do so in a PvP setting.

If that's the only reason you're not playing GW2 then... dude.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• beej1986beej1986 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Give my necro a greatsword and will be best friends for a looong time!

CENTER]image[/CENTER]

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

How can you not love these guys?  Some of these changes (unlike kites - sorry kite fans) are pretty amazing and prove they're listening to people.  The Legendary update itself proves they're not willing to irritate players just to earn transmute stone money in the shop.

Among my other faves are:

- more permanent content

- rewards for downing tough Champions in places like Orr and the Cove, giving people  a reason to actually go there

- the ability to craft Ascended gear instead of spending laurels on them

The rest I'll have to wait and see, but more (usually) = better.  Sounds like there will even be more reasons for people to run more than CoF path 1 lol

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Great stuff!!!! Skill progression alone will keep me playing but also being a ls toCRAFT ascended gear!
  • DisxxxDisxxx Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Volkon

sPvP is meant to be on the outside of the leveling experience. You're automatically fully level 80 in sPvP, and you level your sPvP experience bar. You can level in WvW however if you want to do so in a PvP setting. 

I've levelled up one character to level 80 with 100% world completion and some world PVP (which was very boring) so for an alt I'd rather not follow the same path. 

Many other games offer levelling through PVP Battlegrounds and it's allot of fun and a great way level ... especially when you've seen all/most of the PVP content already.

I see nothing wrong with wanting to progress my character in 'the real world' when i'm playing sPVP.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I will say, however, I'd really like it if they added more weapon skills, or allowed you the option of changing some of them around.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

"and has a whole bunch of slick functionality to find groups for all kinds of content... without taking away the need to socialize."

So..duplicating what CoX already had nine years ago.

Works for me.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    WvW is gonna be big in 2014, I tell ya! (just not this year)
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    WvW is gonna be big in 2014, I tell ya! (just not this year)

I dunno, up until recently, WvW's gotten the most actual features added to it.  Were you hoping for more maps, or something else in the zones though?  But in terms of stuff to do and work towards, WvW's gotten a lot of love in the past several months.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    All sounds great, can't wait!!!
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I've levelled up one character to level 80 with 100% world completion and some world PVP (which was very boring) so for an alt I'd rather not follow the same path. 

Many other games offer levelling through PVP Battlegrounds and it's allot of fun and a great way level ... especially when you've seen all/most of the PVP content already.

I see nothing wrong with wanting to progress my character in 'the real world' when i'm playing sPVP.

If you don't enjoy the open world PvE after only one play through, then there really is no need to level up. Just enjoy the sPvP and be done with it.

Also, if you don't enjoy the sPvP enough to play it without getting experience then you shouldn't bother playing at all. It's meant to be fun not a treadmill. The PvE is so fun to me I don't even look at my EXP bar even in zones I've been through several times.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Tierless

If they did drop "resources to craft good new stuff" rather than "drops new stuff" I would be much happier, crafters would be much happier, and GW2 would suddenly become a much better game.

Is that what they said Champion Chests would do, exactly?  Account bound crafting mats that help craft new Tier 7 (level 500) items that can be crafted 1-per-day to help sell Ascended items (yes, that was mentioned).

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

If you don't enjoy the open world PvE after only one play through, then there really is no need to level up. Just enjoy the sPvP and be done with it.

Also, if you don't enjoy the sPvP enough to play it without getting experience then you shouldn't bother playing at all. It's meant to be fun not a treadmill. The PvE is so fun to me I don't even look at my EXP bar even in zones I've been through several times.

Well I honestly don't know how the PvE is fun to you... It's very much the same thing in every map. Do the hearts and random zerg events that they have going on everywhere and look for POI, waypoints, vistas, and skill challenges. It all feels very much the same and after about three maps gets boring. 

As for this article, my problem is the content that I've played in their updates feels very much the same as previous content. Grind x amount of events for a certain reward. It got to the point where I just didn't care and completely ignored the events opting to instead do dungeons. Maybe this has changed and the living story now feels like it actually matters but after the Dragon Bash I was officially burned out from their events and living story content updates. Just felt boring and repetitive by that point.

Smile

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Razeekster

Well I honestly don't know how the PvE is fun to you... It's very much the same thing in every map. Do the hearts and random zerg events that they have going on everywhere and look for POI, waypoints, vistas, and skill challenges. It all feels very much the same and after about three maps gets boring. 

As for this article, my problem is the content that I've played in their updates feels very much the same as previous content. Grind x amount of events for a certain reward. It got to the point where I just didn't care and completely ignored the events opting to instead do dungeons. Maybe this has changed and the living story now feels like it actually matters but after the Dragon Bash I was officially burned out from their events and living story content updates. Just felt boring and repetitive by that point.

It is not always the same. You don't have to do any of the things you pointed out in any map. I love the random zerg comment, as opposed to a coordinated zerg in Rift, Neverwinter, etc. I mean, if you dealt with Rift's update, Sorm Legion, etc, you find those updates are the same also.

Suggest how to make them different then, just don't complain without constructive criticism - I like to know how people would change it.

The last living story update is unique enough and different enough to be interesting and fun.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Loving where they are taking this.

Looking forward to the most: Horizontal weapon skills and adding all weapon types.  I want to use a torch on my warrior!

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by botrytis

It is not always the same. You don't have to do any of the things you pointed out in any map. I love the random zerg comment, as opposed to a coordinated zerg in Rift, Neverwinter, etc. I mean, if you dealt with Rift's update, Sorm Legion, etc, you find those updates are the same also.

Suggest how to make them different then, just don't complain without constructive criticism - I like to know how people would change it.

The last living story update is unique enough and different enough to be interesting and fun.

I take issue with people who think they have the right to tell people how to post.  He doesn't need your validation for the reasons why he doesn't like the game.  It's not his "job" to provide ideas for new content in the game.  If he had wanted to, he would have done so in the first place.  Perhaps you could take a cue from your own play book and instead of chastising posters on the content of their posts, you could offer your own ideas on how to improve the game and see if that would appeal to the poster you seem to take issue with.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I'm not a developer. It's not my job to figure out how to make a game fun. And I never said it wasn't fun, but if you can't admit that it's repetitive than you're not being honest at all.

Smile

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

I take issue with people who think they have the right to tell people how to post.  He doesn't need your validation for the reasons why he doesn't like the game.  It's not his "job" to provide ideas for new content in the game.  If he had wanted to, he would have done so in the first place.  Perhaps you could take a cue from your own play book and instead of chastising posters on the content of their posts, you could offer your own ideas on how to improve the game and see if that would appeal to the poster you seem to take issue with.

Not telling him how to post - suggest yes - tell no.

The point I was trying to make before I was rudely interrupted by RL, I work in science where you look at things and discuss critically. I have, in the past, stated where I think GW2 has missed (*cough Guild Halls - GvG cough*) and other things that could be done. I have done that. I also compare and contrast to games I have played in the past/present also and try to be very objective about it too (still playing Rift and Tera, although they are not primary). So, I am doing what I say. Can you say that?

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    This is great news to players off Guild Wars 2.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I'm not a developer. It's not my job to figure out how to make a game fun. And I never said it wasn't fun, but if you can't admit that it's repetitive than you're not being honest at all.

Well see here is the problem, people like different things,ad well to be honest, what ever you do like can indeed be reptitive to someone who doesn't like it, yet I do know, you, yes you, will not believe that because its' fun.

Now for the sake of being right I'm only going to be told "I mean it's fun to me and repitive...but fun."

The way the world is and just how humans are, there will never be a game where everyone who plays it...loves it and say "Wow the PVE, well each zone is different, non repetitive, and etc."

Only so much you can do, DE's IMO...in my opinion...to me...are not repetitive. Then  it's even worse when people run out of things to grind and turn around and [shit] out "No progression." Ha ha I shit you not, that happens.  

Whelp I could keep going but the point to do so would be moot, in short obviously this game is not for you, I respect your opinion, cause you didn't state it like everyone has the same exact opinion, nor most people have the same exact opinion.

So that being said...cheers mate.

Edited: The thing that puzzles me the most with people who claim a game is repetitive and boring, they will turn around and like an MMO PVE that doesn't have DE's and optional hearts, with end game raids...it really does puzzle me, but maybe that's why I said the first tid bits in my post.

But maybe Raze doesn't like any MMO or upcomin ones, maybe Eve though.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Gotta shout louder, Colin. Lots of AAA mmos on the horizon gonna drown you out ;)