Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paul Sage Q&A Discussion Thread

2»

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Ninjestic
    Now I've been looking around other ESO threads but my question is never asked. So my question to you Paul is when someone dies in a PvP fight will the killer be able to loot his victim's body. If so are there any restrictions like, people over a certain level or you can't loot armor or weapons but you can loot things such as potions and soul gems?

What kind of silly question is that lol, honestly really think about what game we are talking about and the type of mmo TESO is.

I almost feel sorry for Paul having people expect him to answer question like that about TESO.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Ninjestic
    Shit I missed it.

Obviously not that much or you would be playing DarkFall Unholy Wars.

• hidrohidro Member UncommonPosts: 52

NO DUELS?

Come on..  I want to spawn with my irl friend while we're lanning and challenge him to a duel first thing, without doing any quests.

We always do that in every, just to test ourselves. We test ourselves at about every 5 levels, and I LOVE to challenge random players to duel me.

They should add a way to duel 1v1.. Neverwinter didn't have it and it was boycotted!

WE WANT DUELS!

Console Esports?
    www.supergamebowl.com

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by superconducting
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Very disappointed in that he didn't answer any of the hard questions.  The majority of the questions he answered were questions anyone with a modicum of Google experience could of uncovered.

Sorry that's simply not true. He tried to answer them in order (which he DID by the way), and even made a conscious effort to take difficult ones. If anything it's our fault for not putting the difficult questions upfront.

Awesome he did this in the first place.

Sorry it is true and on top of that he didn't give a straight answer on some of the questions.

From my what i can make out it seems that TESO is going to be a linear mmo where you go from quest hub to quest hub. Someone asking that question get's a reply saying that all the faction areas are large lol. Sorry Paul but that is not what the person asking the question meant.

Plus being bombarded by fans from the semi official forums asking silly questions didn't help.

Found out on Reddit there was a concerted effort to hijack the thread here on mmorpg.com to ensure enough pointless questions were asked that any tough questions would be ignored.  All the more reason I think this game will fail.

It really irks me that so many can comment, bitch and moan about proper 1st person, or visiting other factions territory's they forget one of the greatest reasons TES games were popular due to their non linear, open world exploration content and refuse to or outright ignore its exclusion from the MMO.  Either they are extremely myopic or are in denial.  All the more reason why I believe this game will be an utter catastrophe.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by onlinenow25
    Very disappointed in that he didn't answer any of the hard questions.  The majority of the questions he answered were questions anyone with a modicum of Google experience could of uncovered.

Sorry that's simply not true. He tried to answer them in order (which he DID by the way), and even made a conscious effort to take difficult ones. If anything it's our fault for not putting the difficult questions upfront.

He could have ignored the simpler questions or said google it and explained he is looking for questions with more to them.

[mod edit]

Listen pal, I'm not trying to be a fanboy. I was the biggest skeptic about ESO for the longest time, you can read some of my previous posts.

1) I DO NOT think it's fair to say he was trying to avoid the hard questions. He was not, as I stated. It's simply not right to distort the Q&A session like this.

2) Is there anything wrong with showing some appreciation? [mod edit]

What one "hard" or "tough" question did he answer that wasn't already known from the previous interviews at Pax, E3 or the 2 Press Events?

I won't hold my breath because its downright obvious he ignored the toughest questions because he knows and I know and the Beta testers know, this game's leveling up is nothing like a TES game.  I would say trust me, but I know you won't but I will say there is plenty of leaked beta information to describe what I posted.

contrary to popular belief an AMA is not supposed to be a marketing ploy and hard tough questions need to be answered or at least given notice.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by baphamet i wasn't expecting any new information, some of you need to calm down a little bit, its not that serious lol
     Sorry but SWTOR, WAR, Aion, TSW, DDO, LOTRO all say otherwise.

this response is confusing, what do you mean?

• ZaldrohirZaldrohir Member UncommonPosts: 2

Still, giving an answer to one of the most important issues would've been nice. They know it's something the fans are dying to know about. Yes, I am talking about the freedom they're gonna give to the players. 

If they're going to employ a GuildWars2 style of leveling, many Elder Scrolls fans will not be happy about it. People want to wander off, stumble upon a cave and clear it. Maybe in that cave there's a small sidequest, where witches were doing a summoning ritual. That's the kind of stuff that could make TESO stand out. For that, however, they'd need an adaptive environment... which is pretty hard for an online game. So, how is it going to be?

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149

Elder Scrolls Online is a MMO, period. You say, you don't see it as a MMO because the term has become synonymous with a certain type of game. Yet you are calling it a game with multiplayer options but by no means a MMO.

Have you been thinking about what people connect to multiplayer options? I guess not.

- only certain areas give you the possibility to interact with other players - e.g. if you form a group in advance - co-op mode like, as seen in Diablo and so on and so forth - mostly heavily instanced areas such as dungeons or pvp deathmatches)

- absolutely no mass pvp!!!

- usually no people in the main world where you are following your tasks

- Far Cry 3, Diablo III, Uncharted III, Fifa, Call of Duty etc. are games with additional multiplayer options 

By the way, it's funny you refuse to call it a MMO because many features you talk about are quite common in other MMOs. 

In case you didn't know: GW2 or ArcheAge are no games you would call "classical" yet they define themselves as MMO's. 

• WrehnWrehn Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Destai

They still haven't sold me - they still leave me with the impression that they don't get what the series is about. 

From what I understand, Paul knows what the series is about; at the very least he had a hand in the making of Skyrim. However, the heart of the matter is that this isn't supposed to be a game that is a Multiplayer Skyrim. It is supposed to be a game on it's own. Not a skyrim, not a WoW.. It's supposed to be 'Elder Scrolls  Online'. 

TES similiarities:

-Setting, beautiful gorgeous world 

-1st person view or over the shoulder with a curse for aiming

-Puzzles, voice over questing system with choices

-Side stumble quests which aren't required, but are available

-Very customizable 'classes' yes, class aren't a TES thing, but this is where it's blended with the MMO. It's a starting point, especially for people who aren't native to the TES games.

- Deep character customization 

-Lycanthropy and Vampirism? Interesting

-All the original settings of TES are in the game.

MMO Similarities:

-Open dungeons (everquest 1, yes thank you)

-Whole Continent for pvp with siegewarfare (Daoc, yes please).

-Large styles dungeons (something simliar to raiding).

-Classes (yes, to get people started, but from what I understand plethora of options that your starting choice is just to get you pointed in the right direction).

-Defined faction (this is great for not only faction pride which helps with immersion, but it really drives competition in pvp).

-Crafting system (this is available in TES and MMO's, but it's a lot like skyrim).

So really, this is a different game, with a blend from the RPG franchise, and an MMO perspective. It is Zenimax's take on what a massive RPG set in a TES World will be like. They don't claim to have a direct transfer from TES, just that fans of both sides of the coin will be able to find something they enjoy in this world.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by onlinenow25

He could have ignored the simpler questions or said google it and explained he is looking for questions with more to them.

[mod edit]

Listen pal, I'm not trying to be a fanboy. I was the biggest skeptic about ESO for the longest time, you can read some of my previous posts.

1) I DO NOT think it's fair to say he was trying to avoid the hard questions. He was not, as I stated. It's simply not right to distort the Q&A session like this.

2) Is there anything wrong with showing some appreciation? [mod edit]

Sorry  Pal but Onlinenow25 has a point and you being a past skeptic means nothing and does nothing to convince us you are right.

1. avoid or being evasive, call it want you want but he didn't answer the more pressing questions.

2. nope, nothing wrong with showing appreciation but at the end of the day ZeniMax want people to buy their game, they are not giving it away for free, are they?

You must have missed the post before mod edits, so I'm just going to skip justifying the first bit. Besides, I could not care less what others think. Anyway,

Let me remind you and everyone else-- Paul did not have to do this for us.

He kindly agreed to come by and answer some of our questions. But instead, what do a select few decide to do- criticize him. And for something which he was supposed to do, which is answer as many questions as he can in order.

Now does that sound right to you? Because to me it does not.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

What one "hard" or "tough" question did he answer that wasn't already known from the previous interviews at Pax, E3 or the 2 Press Events?

Well, I don't know about "hard" and "tough" unless what you really mean is "mine." But he did answer one--the first one--that was all about the subject you were so gloomy about a couple of weeks ago that you created a thread here just to talk about how ESO is not really an MMO. (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/389389/Negative-hype-from-media-outlets.html)

What am I talking about? This:

Originally posted by Iselin

Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to come here and answer questions.

There seems to have been a lot of talk lately about whether ESO is a real MMO prompted by some statements you guys made last month about it being playable as a single player experience. I've been following the development of the game closely for several months and I don't see any changes in the design of the game.

Can you explain why the shift in emphasis on how you describe the game?

I think this has to do with how we approach development. We were worried that the term MMO had become synonymous with a certain type of game with an almost exact set of rules. That was definitely a perception we felt, even internally. But we really wanted to be true to our IP first, and still have this amazing social game with thousands of players online. When I started on UO, MMO was a new term and there weren't limits on it. We don't dislike the term or the association, we love it. We just want to make sure people aren't expecting it to be a clone of certain games.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by Wrehn

They still haven't sold me - they still leave me with the impression that they don't get what the series is about. 

From what I understand, Paul knows what the series is about; at the very least he had a hand in the making of Skyrim. However, the heart of the matter is that this isn't supposed to be a game that is a Multiplayer Skyrim. It is supposed to be a game on it's own. Not a skyrim, not a WoW.. It's supposed to be 'Elder Scrolls  Online'. 

TES similiarities:

-Very customizable 'classes' yes, class aren't a TES thing, but this is where it's blended with the MMO. It's a starting point, especially for people who aren't native to the TES games.

MMO Similarities:

-Classes (yes, to get people started, but from what I understand plethora of options that your starting choice is just to get you pointed in the right direction).

-Defined faction (this is great for not only faction pride which helps with immersion, but it really drives competition in pvp).

-Crafting system (this is available in TES and MMO's, but it's a lot like skyrim).

So really, this is a different game, with a blend from the RPG franchise, and an MMO perspective. It is Zenimax's take on what a massive RPG set in a TES World will be like. They don't claim to have a direct transfer from TES, just that fans of both sides of the coin will be able to find something they enjoy in this world.

Right, those are good selling points. Where I'm coming from is the following: I'm both an ES fan and an avid MMO gamer. However, the moment the ES label is applied, a set of expectations follows based on the precedence set by others in the series. That label, that setting, is the very driving force behind the game. The very fact that I can't see other players in an opposing faction's zone or I must complete an entire zone before moving on flies in the face of that tradition. That's fundamentally game breaking for me. 

I'm not against factions. I'm not against it being meaningful. I'm against it limiting the immersion that could otherwise be offered. In my discussions with friends about this game, we've all stated our confusion as to why they're making this game this way. I'd much rather see a game where you can allow ~15 players and explore the whole of Tamriel together. I feel that trying to fit this setting into an MMO format is a disservice to both types of gamers. As someone who is both camps, I I feel a sense of discomfort with the limits that are being placed on fundamentals such as walking across to another zones. It's unnecessary. When I played Everquest, it was a wonderful dare to tread into enemy territory. It was a wonderful experience to fight off Dark Elf roleplayers as they invaded the High Elf city. There's no reason we can't have that here. 

Furthermore, is that the only PVP zone? Didn't Boethiah have an arena in Oblivion? Wasn't there an arena in Cyrodiil? The Daedric princes' natures provide the chance for so much content. You can bend PVP maps into them, raids, or hell - mix 'em both! I get the impression that they're trying to stretch the lore to make this become an MMO. The development of this game and its features doesn't feel natural to me. 

I'm sure there will be things that I could enjoy about this game. I'm sure it's going to be a good game. Sadly, I'm not feeling that it will meet my tastes - and that's fine - I'll just wait and see. I know that were I in his shoes, this game would be immensely different. However, I'm not and I don't have the blessing of a major corporation to do so. 

TES similiarities:

MMO Similarities:

The part I bolded in "red" is what I consider the most important part of the Elder Scrolls Franchise because it is the only reason I played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.  The freedom of exploration and the density of which those side quests come In the game are a huge part in my enjoyment of the game and to remove it or to neuter its impact is IMO a sin against the IP.  And from all accounts that system while in game is no where near as rich and focused as the single player games.  The Dev's failed to adhere to that one core feature of the TES IP that is whjy I am so adamantly upset with the direction the studio has taken.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by Blakkrskyrr
    too many uninformed noobs.  the majority of the people swarming that Q&A were new accounts turning it into the Dead Marshes and Paul had to traverse around dead bodies and crap.  One person even asked if there were dragons in the game :(  Those who have been involved in the forum community on either MMORPG.com and others like Tamriel Foundry were almost non-existent.  I believe Sage even said himself that he didn't want to seem like he was picking the easy questions.  Really frustrating.  Especially for those who have been involved since the announcement and forums openning up, and have rather important questions.  Albeit, there were some good questions, but most would have been handily rectified with a simple google search, or forum readings.  *sigh*

What are you talking about? I thought the questions were good. This is not Hardball; the point is not to grill Mr. Sage on tough questions. The point is to learn more about the game as best we can. Even if the answers to some questions were already known, we still got useful information from the response.

Not really. They asked questions about things that have already been announced four months ago. Those questions had been ask hundreds of times in public interviews.

But that doesn't mean that he didn't also answer proper questions, but the majority were pointless.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

TES similiarities:

MMO Similarities:

It would seem like you've only played Skyrim. There are classes in TES. Although you can use a prebuilt on you can still make your own unique class. This was in TES as late as in Oblivion. And I disagree with the defined factions. Sure, it is great but faction pride was one of the biggest prides in WoW. The fact that you could sneak into their towns and have a look what it is like feels great. You see it from a foreign perspective. It's dangerous and exciting because it was such a long journey there just to experience their world.

You know what isn't dangerous and exciting? World PvP á la GuildWars 2. You enter, knowing that you are supposed to be doing some kind of PvP. With hundreds of other people knowing the same thing. You are expected to die and you'll lose nothing by it. You won't have to make a long trek to another continent in order to get back. Hopefully TESO will actually make Cyrodiil less about non-stop massive PvP(like GW2 had) and more about questing, gathering and tiny, isolated PvP battles. Not to say that it isn't nice with giant sieges. But the epicness of them fade away when it is the standard past-time in a region.

Originally posted by asrlohz

TES similiarities:

MMO Similarities:

It would seem like you've only played Skyrim. There are classes in TES. Although you can use a prebuilt on you can still make your own unique class. This was in TES as late as in Oblivion. And I disagree with the defined factions. Sure, it is great but faction pride was one of the biggest prides in WoW. The fact that you could sneak into their towns and have a look what it is like feels great. You see it from a foreign perspective. It's dangerous and exciting because it was such a long journey there just to experience their world.

You know what isn't dangerous and exciting? World PvP á la GuildWars 2. You enter, knowing that you are supposed to be doing some kind of PvP. With hundreds of other people knowing the same thing. You are expected to die and you'll lose nothing by it. You won't have to make a long trek to another continent in order to get back. Hopefully TESO will actually make Cyrodiil less about non-stop massive PvP(like GW2 had) and more about questing, gathering and tiny, isolated PvP battles. Not to say that it isn't nice with giant sieges. But the epicness of them fade away when it is the standard past-time in a region.

The problem with GW2's WvW was the zones were to small.  We already know that Cyrodil is the same size as all the other zones combined.  Another thing to note is there will be other activities in the AvA zone as well so yes its not going to be PvP 24/7 although there will be plenty of people who play in such a way but Cyrodill should in theory be much more like DAoC's Frontiers.