Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Likes & Dislikes

thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

- The Foundry system

- Combat

- The Forgotten Realms setting

- Design of some playing fields

Dislikes

- The business model

- Repetitiviness

- The crafting system

The list above is not comprehensive, but illustrates the main points. Played a Control Wizard to 60 and had a level 28 Devout Cleric.

My overall rating for the game is 6/10. I would give it a higher rating, but the business-model is not for me. In fact, it is a major hindrance for playing the game. I would rather B2P or at least have the option of paying a subscription, like in LOTRO. This game can be fun until you reach level 60 and need to get into "end-game", which essentially is pay-to-win.

I recommend trying it out, if you are between games at the moment.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

Comments

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by thexrated

My overall rating for the game is 6/10. I would give it a higher rating, but the business-model is not for me. In fact, it is a major hindrance for playing the game. I would rather B2P or at least have the option of paying a subscription, like in LOTRO.

I think your points are all spot on. The environments are small but richly detailed. The foundry quests are often highly entertaining and if nothing else, they offer a reason to respect other players (the ability to generate interesting game content is far more admirable than the ability to consume it).  Combat is fun and the D&D/FR theme at least allows for a little nostalgia for those of us who haven't rolled twenty-sided dice in as many years.

Neverwinter is certainly worth the asking price of $0, but I find I'm very reluctant to spend any money on it. If it was p2p then I wouldn't have a problem shelling out $15 for a sub for a month or three. Sadly, the cash shop and the exhortations to buy zen undermine my ability and willingness to be engaged by what is otherwise an enjoyable, if rather shallow, game. Nevertheless, if you happen to be a blubberous, barnacle-encrusted ocean mammal with a love of gambling and an unquenchable hunger for crass, polygonal tat then you may find it an experience tailor-made for your tastes. 

6/10.

• Beoelf21Beoelf21 Member Posts: 91
    end game isnt pay to win. endgame pvp is if your trying to be the best of the best but endgame pve you dont have to spend a dime. I have found that an active large guild makes everything better in this game, but like i said there is no reason to pay to get the high enchants for pve endgame. 

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Foundry 

Exit Button

Dislikes

Everything else (but especially below)

The Crafting

The blatant theft cash shop

The whole monetry system going on and lack of GM real support and or action allowing players to use exploits with little punishment FOR EG guy stole almost 200mill and got a 3day ban WTF

SoE

The logon button

The Zones and how god damn easy they are

That is all

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• LasairLasair Member Posts: 15

Seems like a normal fantasy MMO that I could play.

Dislike:

Cannot freely zoom in and zoom out.

Character models do not seem right. I would prefer more cartoon-ish appearance (like in WoW).

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Combat was cool but the small zones and hidden walls are abundant. More so the economy has never recovered from the hacks. Game be done.
  • kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by crack_fox

...Neverwinter is certainly worth the asking price of $0, but I find I'm very reluctant to spend any money on it. If it was p2p then I wouldn't have a problem shelling out $15 for a sub for a month or three. Sadly, the cash shop and the exhortations to buy zen undermine my ability and willingness to be engaged by what is otherwise an enjoyable, if rather shallow, game. ...

Yeah. This is the biggest turn off for me. While you can play for free, you are not going to get your typical MMORPG experience for free.  You are going to have to pay.  Now you expect them to try and make money with the game, but they are very heavy handed, and if you want the same experience you would get with a typical MMORPG it is going to cost you more than the purchase price and subscription cost.  They have incorporated cost into just about everything.

Despite it being labeled as free to play, it actually requires that people pay money.  Yes, you can avoid paying for certain things yourself, and grinding out AD to buy things from the AH, but somebody has to buy the stuff with real money in order to sell the stuff on the AH, which makes for ridiculous pricing, and an inevitable supply shortage (which will only get worse over time).

While i find the game fun, they need to change the business model if they want to stay alive.

• enik3enik3 Member Posts: 37

Pros:

1. Combat.

2. Lots 'o loot.

3. Graphics are good and environments are pretty well done.

4. Quests overall are diverse and entertaining (very few go kill 10 of x type stuff).

5. Foundry adds a cool component.

Cons:

1. Gets pretty repetitive after you've played for a while.

2. Too linear.

3. Crafting is irritating.

4. Leveling is way too fast.

5. Would have rather seen B2P than intrusive cash shop and RNG boxes.

I found the first 30 levels to be much more entertaining that the last 15 or so (I'm like level 45ish now). It seemed like it wasn't as linear at first because I was finding chests and skill checks from exploring. But that seemed to dry up over time (and the results turned out to be pretty ho-hum as well).

I also really enjoyed crafting at first. But then I discovered that you can't create everything you need. Apparently there are items (like decent quality shears, for example) that only drop from purchased profession packs (and even then it's random number generation crap determining whether or not you get them). I understand that they need to make money, and I bought some Zen -- but I'm not going to do that over and over just to create virtual e-clothing. So crafting turned out to be a dead-end.

Questing, again, although great at first, is really just a slog from area to area, hub to hub, doing a lot of the same (general) stuff over and over again. I don't really get a deep overall story progression either. There is no real "life" to the world either. The closest thing to "dynamic" events are the vaguely irritating (IMHO) catch spies, pick mushrooms, kill wolves, etc. competitions. There's just not a huge incentive to log in to visit this world.

As others have said: 6/10. I would recommend it to casual players as an alternative to playing a solo game, but overall I don't think it will have a huge lasting appeal.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I've been working on my Level 30 cleric a bit this week (after about six-months away), and for the first time I took notice of the "Play Sword Coast Adventures" option on my companion screen.  I clicked into the web-browser gateway and was delighted with the mini-game homage to table-top encounters.  I went through one scenario and earned some rewards for my cleric in-game.  I only cross my fingers that I can get this at work to play a bit on lunch breaks.  Anyways, it was something I just notice and liked.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA