Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Started a new character and still amazed at how great this game is.

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

So last night I started a new character.  Hadn't really played since September of 2011 and am stil lamazed at just how fun this game is even with poor graphics and a horrendous combat system.

Started a Void Mage with Summoning and got him up to level 37 last night through the Facility Hub.  Game is still amazing and if anyone is looking for a good open world PvE sandbox I'd highly suggest you check out the new skills and UI they released. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I'm really amazed and supremely happy they brought this back, it is truly a hidden gem now, if only more people realized this is back (or educate those who just don't know AC), hell I just found out it was back myself.

Players longing for a seriously awesome pvp experience in a vast open world need look no further.

The Best PvP MMORPG Ever Made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oICrTxvaQQ

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

I wouldn't try this game or any game by Turbine / WB if it was the last one on Earth. Have you not heard about what happened again to their billing? This is the 4th or more times that people got multiple billed over the last what 4 years I think. But this time was huge, they drained peoples bank accounts and got cards locked for fraud because they charged multiple times. Good luck to you man.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

AC had a lot of great concepts behind it but it failed miserably in a ton of areas too. I do wish that AC2 hadn't been such a completely failure so the series would have stayed alive. I have no hope for the reboot of AC2 either unfortunately.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I went back to AC a couple of years ago.  I found the community helpful and enjoyable.  However, I quit when I realized that the game basically requires you to do unmanned botting for hours on end to get anywhere in levels.  Everyone just sets up their AFK combat macro and lets it do the leveling for them.  No, you don't have to do this, but the endless mob grinding required to level makes it the norm.
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Vigg
    I went back to AC a couple of years ago.  I found the community helpful and enjoyable.  However, I quit when I realized that the game basically requires you to do unmanned botting for hours on end to get anywhere in levels.  Everyone just sets up their AFK combat macro and lets it do the leveling for them.  No, you don't have to do this, but the endless mob grinding required to level makes it the norm.

Why were you doing endless mob grinding?

Quests are insanely rewarding these days and you can fly up the levels without ever repeating a quest or without ever sitting and grinding mobs.

If you want to repeat quests while leveling up (there are plenty of fun ones that you probably would want to) they have a 1 day repeat timer which means you could go run through all of your favorite quests everyday while leveling.

They also announced with their latest upcoming patch that they are adding monetary rewards to quest. It used to be that farming mobs and salvaging the loot for cash was the best way to go. It now seems like questing will be on par with hunting on the money front.

I see plenty of people come back, ask the fastest way to level (shouldn't you always want to actually enjoy and experience the game you just came back to instead of wanting to blitz through it just to get to the top?), have a person who's knowledge is also extremely outdated (or someone who only plays to let a program play for them) tell them to go sit in X dungeon and kill things all day, and then have that first person claim that is what the game is.

A little exploring, a little conversation, a little bit of actual play, a little reading their forums or the player run wikki, will all show you that sitting in one spot mob grinding is not necessary at all in modern AC.

Hmm, maybe things have changed.  Last time I played, it was all bots.  You went to a buff-bot in town, got buffed up, then found a camping spot to go AFK.  I'm not making this up, I promise!  I'm talking AC1, not 2.
    Hmm, maybe things have changed.  Last time I played, it was all bots.  You went to a buff-bot in town, got buffed up, then found a camping spot to go AFK.  I'm not making this up, I promise!  I'm talking AC1, not 2.

That's what happens when you ask the wrong people for advice. There are still people who do this as they don't want to play the game at all (I know, it is odd to think about why they bother doing it at all because they don't start playing at high levels either, they keep UCMing).

If someone in a game tells you to sit in one spot and repeat the same action over and over, you should probably ask other people for advice.

Many low level quests will give you up to, and exceeding, one level of XP per run. You can go off and quest and level plenty fast, in most cases faster than hunting on a equal time basis.

You will have fun in games if you want to. If you want to not have fun and break the rules by having a program play for you it isn't surprising that you won't find much enjoyment in it.

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    You will have fun in games if you want to. If you want to not have fun and break the rules by having a program play for you it isn't surprising that you won't find much enjoyment in it.

I think I could get along well enough without botting.  I'm more concerned that there wouldn't be anyone to group with because almost everyone else is doing it.  Again, maybe that's a misconception.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Azz, I know we have discussed it before, but I tried AC again after years (since 2005) and I didnt like it at all.  Some of the things that made AC great, was finding a hunting group to take on the unknown Mosswart Fort, the Black Death Catacombs, Lugian Citadel, working to get to the back, etc.

The hub thing ruined that for me, and finding loot in the day was a blast, now its too abundant

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

That's what happens when you ask the wrong people for advice. There are still people who do this as they don't want to play the game at all (I know, it is odd to think about why they bother doing it at all because they don't start playing at high levels either, they keep UCMing).

If someone in a game tells you to sit in one spot and repeat the same action over and over, you should probably ask other people for advice.

Many low level quests will give you up to, and exceeding, one level of XP per run. You can go off and quest and level plenty fast, in most cases faster than hunting on a equal time basis.

Agreed. Like with any MMO, there are those who are min-maxing to just level a character and those that are playing the game. If you don't enjoy the former, seek the latter.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GunnJDGunnJD Member UncommonPosts: 18

10 years ago botting was definitely prevalent and basically required for high level play. I was on Darktide and the PVP was the best MMO experience I've ever had. Guys would get on to PvP, tear it up, and then find a remote spot with good EXP for their bots and log.

The botting didn't really bother me. It was kind of fun coming back and seeing how far your character progressed and what loot he had.

I've been tempted to try AC again but worry that it just wouldn't be the same.

And if you ever found someone's botting/grind location, you'd get to enjoy their DIs or hopefully some rich loot off their corpse :).

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

I came back recently and having a great time. Heck, I'm adding a 2nd account this week,lol. (not for botting-I would not have come back to bot). I am taking my time,though already have a lvl 52 char. but busy making some crafting 'toons as well. I was so glad that after all these years, that when I came back to this game I once loved so well, I found that the "magic"  was also there waiting for me  :)         WOOT-Long Live AC ! :)

Arakane

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I did try this one a few months ago, but except for the nostalgia factor, it was a bit boring. admittedly i didnt travel far from holtburg, maybe if the game had a more modern graphics engine that would help, trouble is, what i remember as looking great, now looked, drab and distinctly low rez, which given the age of the game is understandable, but with so many other good games around that i'm also playing, AC just wasn't good enough. image
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Soooo wish they'd update the graphics/ui and relaunch the game to draw in more people again. I'd love to play the game with lots of people in it. That's the only thing that keeps me not playing today.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by The1ceQueen
    Soooo wish they'd update the graphics/ui and relaunch the game to draw in more people again. I'd love to play the game with lots of people in it. That's the only thing that keeps me not playing today.

There are servers which are active enough to where you will never have any trouble finding groups, chatting, or just plain having fun with people. Beyond that the number of players doesn't really matter.

You can also play with the devs directly as they started an allegiance to interact with the community.

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

I missed the ball with this one. I brought it the other night and wish i hadnt.

I can imagine the game has rich and deep gameplay, but it is just so painful on the eyes. Some people have said they wish they would remake the game with an advanced graphics engine and i really wish they would aster hearing so many good things about it. I even subbed to try the Beta for AC2 but that wouldnt even install properly. Shame as AC2 looks like it at least makes an attempt to catch up with EQ.

I know a game is not all about graphics but i hate to say that i am shallow when it comes to this one. Really do hope someone will try the game engine on an updated engine as i really would like to try it.

Well im payed up until the end of February now so i will try again to get past the graphics and see what all the fuss is about.