Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[TC] Remnants of Hope PvX/WvW/RP

DahkeusDahkeus Member Posts: 4

Remnants of Hope – Light from a few can be a beacon to many

Fundamentals

Guild Name: Remnants of Hope [HOPE]
Server: Tarnished Coast
Time Zone: International, primarily North America
Playstyle: PvX, WvW
Roleplay: Optional, Light-Medium
VOIP: TS3
Recruitment: OPEN

About Us

Remnants of Hope was founded on June 7, 2009. Originally a Star Wars Galaxies guild, it moved to Star Wars: The Old Republic at launch. Well known and respected on the Jung-Ma server, we continue to have an active, positive presence in the game.
At the request of its members, Remnants of Hope has changed into a multi-gaming guild to accommodate Guild Wars 2. Over the past 3 years we have undergone changes but continue to improve with age and experience. We strive to provide an engaging environment for all players to play the way they want. In GW2, we currently have a core group of about 10 members who play daily, with many other more casual players who pop in a few times a week, and we are looking to expand our ranks.

Mission & Goals

Remnants of Hope stands for a lot of things, truthfully. If our atmosphere shows anything, it shows our integrity, maturity, respect and our very will to survive. Now that last one might seem a bit extreme, but our undying loyalty to our guild and the loyalty shown by many of our members today have risen from the ashes of what would have kept many guilds down! We are ever evolving and ever improving as we continue to age and grow.
We aim to serve as a place where people can escape from their daily struggles and stress of life, to simply enjoy their time that they have to spare. Our motivation is to ensure everyone has the best experience that we can offer! As a “Light from the few can be a beacon to many,” we hope to empower our members and prove inspiration to many of the guilds within the GW2 community. We all have one common goal among us and that is a pleasant gaming experience!

PvX

Remnants of Hope wants to give you the opportunity to build your own playstyle. This means we offer PvE, PvP/WvW and RP. You are free to play the way you want! Don’t care for PvE but love PvP? Go for it! Not so hot for either PvE or PvP but want to really immerse yourself in your character through role-play? Not a problem. Whether you’re casual, semi-hardcore, or hardcore, we’re right there with you. We don’t limit ourselves to one thing that the game has to offer, but all fields that we can conquer as an ever-growing community. Our focus is far from linear like some guilds might be, and we will make the best of everything we’re given! Some will learn much more quickly than others; why not have our members help you reach full potential and maximize your enjoyment of the game?

Roleplay & Lore

While role-play is not required of anyone who joins, we have many talented role-players and writers who work together to create a brilliant and immersive experience both in game and on our forums. Whether you prefer to weave your character’s legendary tale as part of our turn-based forum role-play or to bring it to action during in-game events, role-players of all types will find a welcome home in our halls. In addition to this, we also promote free writing on our forums and even hold writing contests to share stories both within the Guild Wars universe and beyond!

What We Offer

Aside from giving you the freedom to choose your playstyle, we also offer many features to our community:
Awards system for community recognition
Highly active Website and forums (dozens of new posts every day)
Teamspeak 3 server
Detailed Events Calendar open to all members
Large community outreach
Active RP community
Organized PvE and PvP/WvW
Family-friendly community and environment
Dedicated leaders

Join Us!

What We Look For:
Good attitude
Maturity
Friendly nature
Teamplayer
Active
Respectful, motivated, and sociable
In order to join our ranks you need to start the application process, which includes creating an account on our forums and submitting an application.

Clicking this link! will take you to the RoH forums. To create an account, click on the “Create Account” button in the upper left of the forum page. Once you have received your confirmation email, you can begin your application by visiting the Apply to Remnants of Hope section and clicking the thread titled “How to Join Remnants of Hope.”

Think of your application as almost a resume. The Recruitment Committee is using the app to get a better understanding of who you are, as a person, and how you would fit with the guild as a whole. So, complete and detailed responses to the questions will better ensure your application’s acceptance.
Remnants of Hope utilizes a trial membership period, if your application is accepted. This helps to ensure that the guild is a good fit for you and vice versa. More information in regard to what the trial membership period entails will be given to you upon acceptance of your application or upon request.

FAQ

Q. I’ve been debating about joining many of the guilds I’ve seen. Why do you believe Remnants of Hope stands out among the rest?
A. Remnants of Hope stands out in a variety of ways! One way in particular is the members. All of our guildies are very welcoming to newer members; many are easy-going, very patient, and always happy to help anyone who asks. We encourage the creation of ideas and are always looking on suggestions that can improve the guild as a whole: none go unseen or overlooked. You’ll find no cliques here, as all are welcome and all are accepted with open arms. Our Teamspeak has people on at all hours and always eager to engage in conversation! Our forums have a variety of entertainment, from role-playing to simple leisure and casual posting, and best of all — anyone can join in on the experience!
Q. What kind of guild activities are there?
A. While we are currently re-organizing our events calendar, we hold in game events such as PvE dungeons, group role-play, PvP, and WvW. Outside of game, we hold cross-guild events to include members of our SWTOR community in activities such as Pictionary, karaoke, and casual gaming nights for activities like League of Legends and Civilization 5. We also have forums that constantly feature writing contests, caption-the-picture contests, and an unbound role-play section where anyone can start closed or open role-plays set in any universe . Additionally we have a variety of forum games such as “Twist My Wish,” “Answer a Question with a Question,” “Movie Linking,” and many more!
Q. How is the Remnants of Hope moderated and run?
A. The Remnants of Hope operates in a manner that has proven to be the most efficient. The guild itself is run by a body of four elected members called the Elder Council whose duty is to mediate between members and ensure a welcoming environment for all. An individual elected member, the High Elder, oversees the Elder Council and serves as an advisor to its members.
Q. How would I go about advancing in rank within the Remnants of Hope if I joined?
A. Remain active! You can easily get involved with Specialized Departments within the Guild (ie: RP, PVP, Crafting and PVE Department), either as an Assistant to an officer, or even by running for an officer position and winning the election.
Q. Where do I go for additional questions?
A. Post here or in our visitor forums! We’re always open and willing to answering any questions or concerns you may have. 

Comments

• NeerrmNeerrm Member Posts: 1
    We've received a bunch of new members recently, and would like to have even more of you! Come one, come all, and apply! We have cake. Maybe.
  • TayteTayte Member Posts: 8

Wow! We haven't posted here in a long time!

Remnants has been ever busy though! With live story events, dungeons (The Arah to end them All this past Friday!) Guild missions, leveling events, role play, shellbreaker event, WvW college, team PvP, and the fun things like jumping puzzles and dive master achievements there are always things to be doing.

However, we focus on community, and share in a new member's new job, as well as another's engagement!

A great place to call home!

• ZekiirahZekiirah Member Posts: 9
    Welcome to our newest additions to the Remnants of Hope GW2 division! Super excited to get to know them better. It's been over a year since I found my way to this community and I can't express enough how much of a privilege it has been to be here and to be apart of the growth we have experienced. If you want a place that will become a family to you, this is it!

We had a great time with three groups doing the new live story event last night! We are building up our progression fractal groups as well as doing dungeons every night!

I would also like to introduce Elfylia and EndWalker as assistants in the PvE department!

The last chapter of our living-story RP is coming too! I can't believe that we started this storyline back in August!

We have had many people involved in WvW season one too!

Here is a little video Scya did during one of our RP PVP Gladiatoral events!

• HaloaOhanaHaloaOhana Member Posts: 6
    The Remnants of Hope have been busy! Karaoke, Fractals, Dungeons, WvW, Living Story... we have been super busy enjoying everything that GW2 has to offer. Don't be shy come check out the site and join us! 
    Guild Bounties, puzzles, and leveling party!! We were busy this weekend!! Fractals, dungeons and WvW as well... Don't wait another day and miss out on all the fun!
  • ZekiirahZekiirah Member Posts: 9

Congratulations to TelanaAravail, and Zedwas!

Telana has taken over the reins from Orig as our new High Elder! He was one of the founding members of this community, and has done a magnificent job of being the PvE Officer for SWTOR. I hear tell he's leveling an Elementalist in GW2, look out! He has continued to schedule raids despite his change in leadership, thank you Telana and congratulations once more!

Aravail was chosen as our new Elder Council member! He is the prolific and eloquent writer we all know and adore! His love for spreadsheets knows no bounds. His Asuran Elementalist is one of the best! He has done great things and is sure to do more in this new position of leadership!

Zedwas was elected as the new Division Commander of our SWTOR division! He has dipped his feet into almost every department and has established himself as an easy-going and friendly kind of man. Formerly a Recruitment Assistant, he has many new ideas and hopes to put into action for the division!

Fractals, Fractals, and Fractals. We are having a blast exploring the new content, and a random lvl 24 fractal was a success!

Levelling events, dungeons with Elfy and Endwalker all of the time, as well as caroling and a winter race coming up! Lots of things to do!

Stop by and say "hi!"

This week's Community Spotlight! 

1. What is your forum name? You're real name too if your comfortable sharing it!

Forum name: Beljora

2. What game(s) do you play with the Remnants of Hope, and who is your main character in the game(s)?
    So far I've played GW2 (Hlifhildr) and FFXIV (Agrias Oaks). I've been recently eyeing SW:ToR since that starfighter update...

3. How did you end up with the Remnants of Hope?
    Aidyn, Dahkeus, and Applegate invited me... and then pretty much texted me every day 'til I finished the requirements, lol. Glad they did that though.

4. What is your favorite in-game memory from your time in the community?
    Probably various memories RPing in FFXIV so far.... I remember in a recent RP event Theodinn Ravenshield was tossing people potions to heal their wounds during a huge battle. At the end of the battle our NPC captain was stabbed through the chest by the Kobold Chief and fell dead on the ground... Most of our characters were shocked and on the verge of tears and Theo is like "Did you try a potion?" "Here, I have this potion, give it to him." and Xha'li grabs him and is like "HE'S DEAD!!" It made me laugh out loud so hard, though I know it was emotional in-character.

5. What about your favorite memory from the time we spend outside the games?
    Has to be when I wrote the proposal for the FFXIV division. Tension was high because a lot of people had very legitimate concerns for adding a new division, and they didn't mind expressing them to me. I decided I would still fight hard for this new division, because I knew my time on GW2 was pretty much done, and I would have to leave the guild due to inactivity unless I could get a FFXIV division instituted.

6. Is it Pot-A-toe or Pot-a-toe?
    Potatoe. Obviously.  (Xha'li here: CHEATER!!!)

7. What object would you say you simply could not live without and why?
    PC/tablet/smartphone/car are too unoriginal and boring, right...? Excepting those obvious things... I bought a water-pick for cleaning between my teeth sometime back. It's the kind of thing that seems like a complete gimmick, but it's so damn good at cleaning around a permanent brace on the back of my teeth. I dunno how I ever got on without it.

8. Favorite TV show and why?
    Game of Thrones (I'm sorry Firefly, it was close). There's just so many angles to this show, so much to discuss and think about: motivations, relationships, politics... and I feel like I understand it more every single time I watch it, so I certainly get my money's worth for blu-rays. I didn't start reading the book series until I became a fan of the show, so I've only read the first two books 'cause I don't want to ruin season 4 myself. I know, I can't call myself a true fan now, but, hey, I only ever said I was a fan of the show.

9. Zombie Pirates or Space Ninjas and why?
    Close call.... but... I ultimately have to go with Space Ninjas. Sure, zombie pirates are great, but there's only so many unique stories you can create before roaming the high seas eating brains will eventually wear thin. Space Ninjas however have infinite planets they can travel to and they can change the course of galactic warfare in an instance. The Weabiles have captured the Emperor of Reycon and are forcing him to sign a treaty that will end hostilities in the gamma section for a millennium!? Oh, ****, space shuriken through the heart!

10. If you could be any mythical creature or monster what would it be and why?
     Hm, probably a Phoenix. They drew a good hand from the mythical creature deck. Immortal andawesome-looking.

11. Favorite Book or series and why?
    I read a lot of non-fiction economic and science books, some of which would probably qualify as my favorites........ but I wont bore you with those.

I've read Mark Twain's Joan of Arc several times. It's a pretty easy read like you'd expect of Twain, but, unexpectedly, it has a very serious tone (a small witty phrase here and there, but never overly sardonic like most of his books). It's a story of a (real-life) illiterate 17 year old girl from a 1-horse town at the edge of France who manages to become the Commander and Chief of France (yes, while still 17) and restores most of France to Charles VII from absolutely nothing (a treaty had literally declared absolute surrender, handing France over to the English on Charles VI's death). She is captured by the English about 2 years later, tortured into admitting that it is sin to wear men's clothing and subsequently burned alive. Twain takes liberties, but most of the dialogue after her capture is taken verbatim from court transcripts. It blows my mind every time I try to fathom that it's based on true events.

12. You get together with some members from RoH in real life, what do you do?
    I actually DID get together with some RoH members (Applegate, Azerial, and Kain) in real life not that long ago. We went to the Renaissance (thank you, spellcheck) faire. We watched a few shows, Azerial and Kain bought some pretty awesome outfits (though... how many times do you really get to use them...), I nearly froze to death because I didn't know it was 40 degrees out when I left (It's Texas... and it was like 75 two days before), but it was a lot of fun!

Also, I've met Aidyn before. We mostly played Super Smash Brothers Melee. Oh, and I went with Applegate, Aidyn and Aidyn's brother to a metalwork festival around here... They seemed pretty disappointed in it if I remember right, but I thought it was pretty interesting myself.

13. Can you dance, and if so what's your favorite dance move?
    God no.

14. Favorite song and why?
    Oh man, this is, by far, the hardest question... I'm a huge classical music fan and could go on all day about it.

While not technically a 'song' I would say Schuberts Piano Sonata in B flat edges out the win for me.
    I once heard it described that the low trill in the left hand represents Schubert's impending death from typhoid fever. The low trill returns frequently and somewhat out of place in the otherwise straightforward but beautiful melody, as if to remind him of its presence. The melody then repeated louder, but this time where you'd expect to hear the low trill you instead hear a defiant series of chords played. Finally, during the development section the low trill and melody mix and give the melody a much darker mood. Granted, we don't actually know what Schubert was thinking with that piece, but that explanation of the trill has stuck with me every time I've listened to it.

Liebestod from Tristan and Isolde comes in a close second
    It's been analyzed to death by smarter people than me, so I'll spare you an explanation on that one.
    Those and pretty much anything from the Romantic period I'll love, really. Or post-modern.

I'm a big fan of musical theatre as well.

And pretty much anything by Ricky Ian Gordon.
    I met him once and he was so nice to me despite me being stupidly nervous.

I also like Bluegrass fusion.

I listen to J-Pop to practice my Japanese listening skills.
    I became a pretty big fan of Kalafina while listening to various J-Pop artists.
    And while the music itself doesn't really blow me away, Nagi Yanagi's voice from Supercell is unreal.
    The composer didn't use real human voices in his music until he came across a video of Nagi singing karaoke.

Sorry, feel free to ignore any/all of those.

15. Lastly, and most importantly, what is it about this community you love the most?
     I love how varied people's interests and ideas are, but that we can all talk to each other in such a respectful way. Like I wrote in one of the recruitment posts, "It's a rare environment where members can discuss Call of Duty with as much respect to one another as when we discuss AD&D RP." It allows me to be exposed to things I normally wouldn't be, like games or music that aren't my usual genre. I also like that we can argue our various visions for the guild that we all love and put things behind us once official decisions are made. I dunno if it's applications scaring trolls away or what, but I just generally find a higher caliber of people in this guild than I normally come across on the 'net!

Woohooo New Year has come! We are having a blast completing the Winter’s Day and NIghtmare achieves as well as working on map completion. WvW is coming soon (all the holidays kinda halted a lot while we spent time with our families)….

Come join us! http://www.remnantsofhope.com/gw2

I am proud to announce this week's community spotlight!!!! Appleveedub! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. What is your character’s name?

My forum name is Appleveedub, while my real name is Avery.

2. What games do you play with RoH?

I play Guild Wars 2 currently.

3. What aspect of the game do you enjoy the most? (PVE PVP or RP)

I enjoy all the aspects of the game, PvE has a very different end game than most MMOs and it's interesting.  PvP is very enjoyable in Guild Wars 2, especially with the whole WvWvW thing.  RP is my favorite.  The scenery is beautiful, towns/cities are full of NPCs and hidden rooms, lots of beautiful sights, the long and rich lore that makes up the Guild Wars universe.  It all makes for worth while role play and story creation.

3. How long have you been a part of this community?

I have been a member since October 22nd of 2013.

4. What is your favorite memory that has happened within the community?

When we had the pictionary night and I was the only one to get the word "marble".  The first word I said was astronaut and the second was marble, so everyone followed up with astronaut.  I thought it was hilarious when Velok asked me how I went from astronaut to marble.

5. If you could change one thing about the guild, what would it be?  

Probably the use of TeamSpeak 3.  I wasn't always a fan of TeamSpeak, but I've grown used to it.  Otherwise I have nothing I would change.

6. If you could bring back one game from the past and play with this community what would it be and why?

MMO?  Toontown, as it was my first MMO and because I would get to throw cake at their faces.  Any game?  Crash Racing on the Playstation 1 because the races would be the equivalent to Mario Kart, but I know how to play Crash!

7. French toast, pancakes, or waffles?

Pancake & waffle sandwich.  No French toast!

8. If you were going to a deserted island and could only take 1 person and 3 items, who and what would they be?

I would take a woman of my choice, a spear, a book on how to live in the wild and a book on herbal medicine.  This would all lead up to me creating my own island civilization and army to take over the world! HAHAHA! *Ahem* Yes.

• AravailAravail Member Posts: 8
    I've been with Remnants of Hope for about two years now, and during that time, this community has become like a second family to me. I've met some truly amazing people here: friendly, funny, helpful, and just a ton of fun to be around. I started as as Swtor player, but when that game began to get a little stale to me, I decided to start playing GW2 as well. Since then, I've been totally hooked, in no small part because of the great people I get to play with. Whether you're into leveling parties, dungeons, guild missions, jumping puzzles, RP, or just random shenanigans, there's always something fun going on!