Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age Of Camelot: 107 Banned, 167 Suspended

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Mythic Entertainment is the latest company to start waving their ban stick. Sanya Thomas, their Internet Relations Manager, announced on the Camelot Herald that Mythic has banned 107 accounts and suspended 167 others in response to a radar hack that had been circulating in the community.

There has been some silliness on the message boards about an “unbreakable radar program” that “Mythic can’t detect.” Last week we demonstrated that this was pure fantasy on the part of the cheaters. We permanently banned the accounts of 107 radar users, and gave out 167 suspensions. Look for plenty of new “I, uh, I quit! Yeah!” posts on a message board near you!

Read on for the rest of the announcement:

Based on data gathered from in-game appeals (players reporting cheaters), observation, and our toolset, we know we’ve acted against the vast majority of cheaters. Some will slip through, unfortunately, but we have no ethical choice but to err on the side of caution. Those we identified, but could not prove were cheating will remain on our watch list, and we will eventually get them.

Also, it’s with great happiness that we declare this round to be the last of the second chances. At one point, the perception had been expressed on the part of some of our players that one had to have radar to be competitive. As the steady decline in the number of radar users has shown, the reality is that this is no longer an issue. What IS an issue now is the perception that “lots of other people” cheat, although the data simply doesn’t support that perception. Therefore, since there shouldn’t be anyone left who believes that they just “have to have radar,” we now proudly return to the original policy of “one strike, you’re out.”

It is good to see companies working to keep the playing field even! Let us know what you think in the news comment below.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• MonthigosMonthigos Staff WriterMember Posts: 61

Originally posted by Lepidus
    Look for plenty of new “I, uh, I quit! Yeah!” posts on a message board near you!

That's classic.

- m o n t h i g o s -

My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of MMORPG.com

• DefsolidusDefsolidus Member Posts: 12

Anything that goes against cheating even slightly is a good sign.

• danielofloridanieloflori Member Posts: 21

there is something like that for EQ2... it really sucks... I know a couple of people who got banned, because they are idiots... probably same way here... when you run directly to every single rare mob/resource you're cheating and you stealing from other players ... mostly I hate the rare mob theives *shakes fist*

• tluyckxtluyckx Member Posts: 2

HAIL to Mythic!!

Keep it fair or stay off the field you cheetah's.

What about mythic making fake-radar-programs themselves? image Get those unfair-players get em ALL. No mercy, especially NOT in DaoC, 1 of the greatest mmoprg (if not THE greatest) :)

And well I don't really mind them getting the rares, but (and this is just an example) when an infil sneaks all the way at snail-speed and then some luris start pbae-ing next to your feet (not being able to see you) that must be a pain. Seeing yourself die because of some cheats.

And I repeat this was just an example, not pointing the finger to any realm/class/whatsoever ;)

• gunnyjoe39gunnyjoe39 Member Posts: 2

Thank god somebody is smacking the cheaters upside the head. Why is it that people think it's 'cool' to cheat anyway? ::::12:: Ah well, let them all go back to COunter Strike where they belong.

• GonodilGonodil Member Posts: 335

Mythic and its staff are the best, love them like i used to love EQ, before Sony started pimping it.

• JTJT Member Posts: 401
    While I don't play the game anymore, it's great to see Mythic act on this.  It's a shame it took them this long tho, the radar cheat has been out almost since the release of DAC.
  • EchaniEchani Member Posts: 72
    I say well done to mythic.  They know that there have been cheats out there but not until recently have they had the time to include code to weed out cheaters.  I believe one of the things they recently added was the ability for CSRs to create "Ghost" radar images.  These were not in the game in any fashion except in the data stream.  I don't remember if I read this in a grab bag or in a "could be" list but I'm glad Mythic is cracking down at any rate.

Does your guild have a website yet? Find out how easy it is to get one.

• Sorc_PolgaraSorc_Polgara Member Posts: 4

I am honored to be a DAOC player that Mythic 'keeps the playing field level.'  image 

I left another game Asherons Call, the game had too many cheats, loot stealers, UCMers, exploiters.  When you played hard to get an "honest" high level character, everyone would 'assume' you did the same, no respect was left in the game.  Also, when those "cheats" were tolerated, many of the players that remained were VERY immature.... would line jump in quest, purposely ruin other peoples quest, trash talk, greif.... sigh. 

Hated to leave a character I worked on for almost 4 years... glad I came to a game that remains honest.  I applaud you Mythic!!!  You have a wonderful, keep it that way!!!!!   image

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Wonderfull job!

The only good cheater is a banned cheater!  (well, banned from regular servers at least, if you want to put them on a cheater server, I see no problem with that)

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• GonodilGonodil Member Posts: 335

Originally posted by Anofalye

Wonderfull job!

The only good cheater is a banned cheater!  (well, banned from regular servers at least, if you want to put them on a cheater server, I see no problem with that)

Hell no, ban them, their address, and their credit card i say. Dont need jackasses like that ruining good games.image
  • MordarisMordaris Member Posts: 11

"wtf?!? i got baned frm daoc cuz i uzed r4d4r. evre1 else wuz doin it. y they pik on me? they haxxored my pc 2 get there nfo. thats ilegal. im sueing them 4 $!!!!11one

uh.. i quit the gaem cuz it wuz l4m3.."

/obligatory

I no longer play DAoC either, due to difficult financial decisions that had to be made, but rest assured I will raise a glass to them the next chance I get.

Bravo.

• Demiter6253Demiter6253 Member Posts: 3

thats awsome to hear, my friend quit cause of cheating, but after reading this maybe I can coax him into coming back

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Very nice. It took them long enough, however, I'm glad they took the time and did the research properly to ensure maximum effectiveness when determining who was cheating.

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

[quote]

we now proudly return to the original policy of “one strike, you’re out.”

[/quote]

That should have been the policy outright! Though I still must give them credit for banning a lot of cheaters and such. I wonder how long they have been working on this "sting" of theirs...

• Aryan_LordAryan_Lord Member Posts: 1

Creeping stealthily across the enemy homeland, suddenly you spot a group of the enemy topping a hill. They barrel down the hillside at Run Speed 5 and suddenly, to your shock and amazement, the group leader turns suddenly toward you. While you are still a few hundred yards away, you change direction and steer toward a copse of nearby trees. But to your horror, the group alters direction slightly to compensate and steamrolls right into you. Mezz! Then Stun! then Bam!Bam!Bam! you are dead. How could they have seen you 500 yards away while they were coming over a hilltop? I guess 35+15 Stealth is just not what it is supposed to be. Or could it be, /gasp, Radar?

/cheer /cheer /cheer 3 cheers for Mythic's response to this sort of incident. I think it was a good move. You'll gain more respect in the long run, and have the propensity to attract returning players far in excess of the number of accounts that were banned.

Midgard
    Merlin Server
    (killing Hibs and slaying Albs since Beta)

• DrAtomicDrAtomic Member Posts: 281

Aye great job Mythic on that second round of bannings... image

Now for the buffbots... image

/cheers