Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not enough content

124»

Comments

• mhoward48mhoward48 Member UncommonPosts: 99

"Quote by Craftseeker,Yep, but he has at least one truth in there.  Some moron (probably many morons) is going to post how they got to max level in 2 days and there is no end game content. 

.....and I will laugh my socks off at their stupidity".

Concerning EQ, after playing the game for maybe two months, some player told me he had already got to the end in only playing it for a few weeks. Being game stupid at the time, I believed him!! Of course I know better now lol!!! I played for years, and there is still places I have never been in the original EQ.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Grailer
    Originally posted by hMJem
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Sandboxes don't have endgame. Go back to WoW. 

I don't really like this statement.

Why should people get punished for playing a game they like? If people want to play 4-8 hours everyday, let them.

In fact, developers should be proud players want to play their games that often. So there should be something for them to do.

I mean, it's fair logic. If you get to max level and there is nothing to do (EVEN IN A SANDBOX TITLE) then eventually everyone is going to get to that max level and see there is nothing to do. 

The point is that there is plenty to do in sandboxes. You shape the world around you. There is no traditional 'end game' though. You won't be rushing to max level then grinding raid bosses for gear if its a true sandbox.

What if said player doesn't enjoy building houses? So he's just doing PvE faction quests, potentially ganking players, and casting spells to destroy the game world?

If #2 and #3 happen then he has something to do. But if its a game that is protecting its players, than what does he have to do?

Well like I said , there won't be enough content in EQNext , it' sounds like its going to be all player created and if we have to rely on player created content then I cant see this game being successful long term especially after experiencing Neverwinter's foundry .

Without the carrot there is no motivation .  

True if you see yourself as a donkey. The game is not going to be all player created. There will be raids, dragons, character advancement etc all the things you probably like but they hopefully are just a slice of the pie, not the icecream after the pie. If you don't like 90% of a games design it would be a bad idea to play it. For those of us tired of the carrot and wanting something differet, we will have more than enough content. If you like the mindless reach max lvl, raid, get gear, buy expansion, repeat, I wouldn't waste your time with EQN.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

I don't think any MMO even EQNext will provide enough content for players like me who rush to end game and play 24/7

I'm not alone in this because we all know someone is going to post how they got max level in 2 days and that there is no end game content .

They talk about how they are going to make something different but I just cant see how it could be done without creating a boring NW foundry type game which we know will fail .

Go play Vanguard and see if you can reach level 55 in two days lol.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

Why should people get punished for playing a game they like? If people want to play 4-8 hours everyday, let them.

In fact, developers should be proud players want to play their games that often. So there should be something for them to do.

I mean, it's fair logic. If you get to max level and there is nothing to do (EVEN IN A SANDBOX TITLE) then eventually everyone is going to get to that max level and see there is nothing to do. 

The point is that there is plenty to do in sandboxes. You shape the world around you. There is no traditional 'end game' though. You won't be rushing to max level then grinding raid bosses for gear if its a true sandbox.

What if said player doesn't enjoy building houses? So he's just doing PvE faction quests, potentially ganking players, and casting spells to destroy the game world?

If #2 and #3 happen then he has something to do. But if its a game that is protecting its players, than what does he have to do?

Well like I said , there won't be enough content in EQNext , it' sounds like its going to be all player created and if we have to rely on player created content then I cant see this game being successful long term especially after experiencing Neverwinter's foundry .

Sandbox games are not for you. There are a plethora of games available that offer your carrot. Sandbox games have no "Endgame" You can do every activity you want at game start, you just get better at your choice of activities as your character advances.

Sandbox is all about community and infrastructure development, and following whichever path you choose to follow. The game developers just offer you the tools to buid the game you want.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• GreezGreez Member Posts: 103

I don't know, maybe because we shouldn't promote certain behaviors. If you have 4-8 hours every day all year you probably have a bad enough sense of entitlement as it is.

People don't play games often because they're great games (not these sort of people, anyway). They play them that much because they have nothing to do. Devs shouldn't cater to them simply because they're a very small amount of people, and it takes much longer to create content than to finish it.

And it's not fair logic. People can play in very different ways, "nothing to do" often says more about the player than the game, really.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Spoken like someone who has never EVER played a game with actual player generated content.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Tygranir

Sandbox games are not for you. There are a plethora of games available that offer your carrot. Sandbox games have no "Endgame" You can do every activity you want at game start, you just get better at your choice of activities as your character advances.

Sandbox is all about community and infrastructure development, and following whichever path you choose to follow. The game developers just offer you the tools to buid the game you want.

Sounds like what you are saying is that EQNext is going to be the sims online .

A true sandbox is, in a way. Go play a trial of EVE Online. Then you'll have an idea of how a sandbox functions.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    Originally posted by BearKnight

I don't think any MMO even EQNext will provide enough content for players like me who rush to end game and play 24/7

I'm not alone in this because we all know someone is going to post how they got max level in 2 days and that there is no end game content .

They talk about how they are going to make something different but I just cant see how it could be done without creating a boring NW foundry type game which we know will fail .

You've never played a true Sandbox title then.

Sandboxes do NOT suffer from "Developer Driven Content" like Themepark titles do. 

Sandbox = developers focus on mechanics & tools to interact with each other and the gameworld. 

Themepark = developers focus on handcrafting scripted events & quests for people to "burn through".

You're wrong :)

Sadly the more i read the more it seems the whole sandbox thing was blown smoke. 

• Pneuma001Pneuma001 Member Posts: 39

There are really two types of player generated content. One is like the NWO Foundry, where a player sits down and make something; either a story/adventure or an item that can be purchased or experienced by other players. NWO did this and it didn't turn out great, maybe because it took so much effort even when they made it "easy".

The second type of player generated content is what I'm really hoping will be in EQN in many different forms, and that is that players just doing stuff create things for you to do.  For example, if there are players or NPCs who will rob you if you try to pass thru a certain area, and there are other players who are trying to move goods through that area then a player who owns goods and knows he isn't powerful enough to get them by the bandits might hire someone else to guard him, or even to move the goods for him.  The player realizes that there's a need and puts out the call for help.  That call for help is player generated content, and it may be different every time you answer the call because different people will be asking to take stuff different places.

If someone happens to be decide to burn down a forest that you enjoyed running around naked in, or built your house in, or both and you decide it is your mission to stop them then you've both created your own user generated content.  And whomever wins will have a lasting effect on the world.

There are two guilds and only one large castle which can be claimed.  One group could move in and that would be the end of it... or the other group might decide that they're more powerful and deserve the castle and start a war with the first guild.  If the game has the tools to support that war then the war itself is the player generated content and it will be different every time.  In this case the developers only have to write the tools to support the war, throw in some craftable siege engines and a scarcity of resources to war over and the users will together generate a scenario which could be considered end-game content WITHOUT EVEN REALIZING THEY'RE DOING IT.  And it could be epic. There could be mercenaries hired. There could be assassinations.  There could be siege.  All the developers need to put in are the tools to support it.  And whomever wins it will have a lasting effect on the world.  There could be a dozen guild wars raging at any given time around the world and the developers will only have to write the code once.

As they stated in Planetside 2, even the players who are hanging around and not paying are adding value and playability to the game.  They don't know it but just by playing the game they're creating the content to make it worth playing (and paying).

As far as there being enough content for you, please consider that they only have to write a relatively small amount of code in a sandbox game to result in a very large amount of this player generated content if you make the right tools.  Another example of this is Minecraft. One guy wrote minecraft -> millions of hours played.

A true sandbox is, in a way. Go play a trial of EVE Online. Then you'll have an idea of how a sandbox functions.

I played EVE Online , the problem was that you gain skill over time instead of by playing game so people who started before you had more skill.  

But yes it is a great game if you like mining rocks for months .  The space combat was a bit zzzz which is why I quit .

I played EVE Online , the problem was that you gain skill over time instead of by playing game so people who started before you had more skill.  

But yes it is a great game if you like mining rocks for months .  The space combat was a bit zzzz which is why I quit .

Like I said. It sounds like sandbox games are not for you. There is no "Carrot". There is no end game, or best build, or supreme stats. It is not a race to endgame, it is an enjoyable experience from "Level one" if there are even levels.

Even in EVE, a properly place ambush can take out a veteran of many years.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

Like I said. It sounds like sandbox games are not for you. There is no "Carrot". There is no end game, or best build, or supreme stats. It is not a race to endgame, it is an enjoyable experience from "Level one" if there are even levels. Even in EVE, a properly place ambush can take out a veteran of many years.

Yeah I guess if its going to be a EQ design a dungeon game I might not get years out of the game but I certainly will enjoy playing it till the novelty wears off .

How long that will take will depend on how many tools are given to design ,  Minecraft for example had a lot of tools but playing that 24/7 I ran out of ideas even after watching youtube videos on different designs and copying them etc .

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

Like I said. It sounds like sandbox games are not for you. There is no "Carrot". There is no end game, or best build, or supreme stats. It is not a race to endgame, it is an enjoyable experience from "Level one" if there are even levels. Even in EVE, a properly place ambush can take out a veteran of many years.

Yeah I guess if its going to be a EQ design a dungeon game I might not get years out of the game but I certainly will enjoy playing it till the novelty wears off .

How long that will take will depend on how many tools are given to design ,  Minecraft for example had a lot of tools but playing that 24/7 I ran out of ideas even after watching youtube videos on different designs and copying them etc .

I think you are missing part of the sandbox. If you build something in mine craft, there is not a huge amount of other players or events that can wipe it out. As well...you can't go and wipe out other player made stuff in mine craft on a whim either. Think of this as a more lifelike approach than just building stuff and you will get it.

Originally posted by Karble

I think you are missing part of the sandbox. If you build something in mine craft, there is not a huge amount of other players or events that can wipe it out. As well...you can't go and wipe out other player made stuff in mine craft on a whim either. Think of this as a more lifelike approach than just building stuff and you will get it.

so you mean like build a house and another player can just come along and destroy it ?

I can see that being a lot of fun. Maybe not for the person who logs in to see there house they spend weeks building destroyed tho .