Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

game shuts down both my comps...

bakon2bakon2 Member UncommonPosts: 129

not video drivers...they are current.  I can play for a seemingly random amount of time, usually between 10-20 minutes until my computer shuts off.  I have tried on two totally different comps and the same thing happens.  Has anyone else experienced this? and if so what was the fix if any?

I did try to post this on the official forums, but apparently I haven't been registered long enough to post a new thread.

Comments

• spadge3k00spadge3k00 Member Posts: 56
    id say its definatly something wrong with your computer mate, i tried the game with no issues just last week.
  • bakon2bakon2 Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Not sure really.  One is a bit old, but can play GW2 seamlessly, as well as AC2 on high.  My laptop is an i7 and is only a couple of years old...GW2 also shuts off my laptop.  I thought it was a heat issue which is why I also downloaded STO on my desktop. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

This is really odd. If it were one computer I would assume that it was a memory hardware issue, but both?

What do your logs say(you find them under administration tools in the control panel)?

• spadge3k00spadge3k00 Member Posts: 56
    i leave this to the elites ^^ he knows a hell of a lot more than me but comfirmed theres nothing wrong with the game itsself.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I am having the same issues, nailed mine down to an old vid card, with a failing fan.

Odd though to have the same issue pop up on 2 machines at the same time....

not sure...going to log into the game now until it shuts down again...thanks for the info..will post what I find.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by bakon2
    Not sure really.  One is a bit old, but can play GW2 seamlessly, as well as AC2 on high.  My laptop is an i7 and is only a couple of years old...GW2 also shuts off my laptop.  I thought it was a heat issue which is why I also downloaded STO on my desktop. 

For the heat issues there is a cheap and good solution: 

There are plenty of products like this you can get for 20 bucks or less.

Besides that I really recommend a SSD.It takes away some of the heat, speeds your laptop up a lot and doubles your battery life. I got a Samsung for my laptop recently, I had a clone program with it so I just could move my entire disk in 15 minutes without reinstalling anything (then you do need some kind of slot drive or a icebox for that which I already owned).

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Wouldn't of thought STO had more stress on the graphic card than GW2, but sure seems like it is a heat related problem.  You might try bringing down the graphic settings and see if that helps at all.
  • Mrfixit84Mrfixit84 Member UncommonPosts: 16

Open the options ingame, hit the video tab, scroll down to the bottom and hit the Troubleshooting bar. Open the drop down on fps limit and set it to 60. If that doesn't work try 30.

Odds are your cards have a minor defect and cannot run at 100%. The older they get the worse the problem will be.

ok I will try  what you suggested Mrfixit....also I looked at my logfile and really to be honest I have no idea what I am looking for.

And, it doesn't happen at the same time...just within the same amount of time I am playing the game.  Sorry for the confusion.

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75
    You may want to take a look at this thread over on the official STO forums.  I remember reading about others who had a similar issue.   STO would cause their modem to shut down.
    Originally posted by Mrfixit84

Open the options ingame, hit the video tab, scroll down to the bottom and hit the Troubleshooting bar. Open the drop down on fps limit and set it to 60. If that doesn't work try 30.

Odds are your cards have a minor defect and cannot run at 100%. The older they get the worse the problem will be.

Thanks...this fixed it.  Played the last couple of days for 4 hours each day...on both comps with no shutdowns.  Now I just have to figure out the game.  :)