Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firiona has a bow?!

Comments

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by BlackcatZero

And no one notice the little guy in the middle looking up at Naggy (The Ratonga are Alive & well  in EQN) EverQuest Next The Search for Cheese Continues.

Ok So Dark Elf, Wood Elf, Kerran and Ratonga  and Hopefully High Elf Can't wait for EQN  ok Where are The iksar???

I hate to break this to you but if you download the actual wallpaper and zoom in the little guy in the middle is reptilian and not a Ratonga at all.

• DraedzDraedz Member Posts: 47
    You can clearly see that the Ratonga is not consenting to PVP, the Ogre is heading at him full force.  Non consensual pvp confirmed.
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    Originally posted by Thunder073
    Yeah i would agree that he failed at recapturing the magic, but I also feel there is more symbolism to be had. Out of everything the picture entails i feel her wielding a bow is the most interesting part of the wallpaper, its very unusual...

The artist probably never played any EQ game and isn't aware of any lore.

Although you have to wonder how this stuff made it past QA.

On the flip side I think that the artist was most likely guided quite well by SOE and was told what to incorporate as well as was shown what the characters looked like in game.   The artist then produced a version that incorporated the old box, the new game and then his own interpretation of both.

Nonetheless it was designed to spark conversation.  Most of SOE's teases  are just that.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Draedz
    You can clearly see that the Ratonga is not consenting to PVP, the Ogre is heading at him full force.  Non consensual pvp confirmed.

+1.    I had a good laugh.

Although i have to be honest, my entire reaction to seeing that painting was: "OMG, is it? is it? it's furry, it has a tail! omg! omg! it could be a ratonga! YES! YES! YES!"   shortly followed by "eww.. that art style kinda blows.."

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

haha!

some people seem to think that it might be a kobold. I think it's a rat, but it's hard to tell.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    Originally posted by Thunder073
    Yeah i would agree that he failed at recapturing the magic, but I also feel there is more symbolism to be had. Out of everything the picture entails i feel her wielding a bow is the most interesting part of the wallpaper, its very unusual...

The artist probably never played any EQ game and isn't aware of any lore.

Although you have to wonder how this stuff made it past QA.

Simple, like the OP said it is probably a hint at the coming sandboxish classless system.  Even Dave Georgeson was a hard proponent of a system that allows every character to play every role when asked at Pax East's "The Future of MMO gaming" Dev Panel.  It was fairly obvious his response hinted at some sort of system that allowed all characters to play any role and the simplest way is through a skill based system.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• OrimusOrimus Member Posts: 23

If you have the 1920x1080 photo up you can clearly see that is not a Ratonga. More of a small lizard creature with clawed inverted legs.. Wonder if an Iksar and a Ratonga go together and had little Ratsar's.

Originally posted by Orimus

If you have the 1920x1080 photo up you can clearly see that is not a Ratonga. More of a small lizard creature with clawed inverted legs.. Wonder if an Iksar and a Ratonga go together and had little Ratsar's.

ooh.. i'd play a Ratsar!  Ratsars confirmed?  :P

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Watch this video: http://youtu.be/3aI5CRaQvEg

Starting at 41:10 mark.  it's pretty obvious EQN will allow some sort of system to give the player the option to play any role.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Fironia looks like she's from Azeroth

No Erudites

Wonderful

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278

While I admit there are problems with Firiona's character, why have I not been able to find anyone complaining about the erudite? Where the heck is the forehead?  Looks more like a wow human to me ...

But I digress, and agree with this thread.  Her character representation is probably just a fluke by the artist.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Maquiame

Fironia looks like she's from Azeroth

No Erudites

Wonderful

Where was no erudites confirmed? Or are you just spreading misinformation?

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

Back to the "Ratsar".  It's really quite hard to make the creature out.  I agree that it doesn't quite look like a ratonga, but it doesn't look reptilian either.   It has feet very similar to ratonga feet.  The tail is definitely lizardish.  The face is impossible to make out as it seems to be wearing a sort of skull mask.     The biggest problem is the hands.  Ratonga have proper 5-fingered hands with long fingernails.  This "thing" clearly does not.  :(

Kobold does seem to be a likely possibility.

- Raph Koster

Originally posted by arieste

Back to the "Ratsar".  It's really quite hard to make the creature out.  I agree that it doesn't quite look like a ratonga, but it doesn't look reptilian either.   It has feet very similar to ratonga feet.  The tail is definitely lizardish.  The face is impossible to make out as it seems to be wearing a sort of skull mask.     The biggest problem is the hands.  Ratonga have proper 5-fingered hands with long fingernails.  This "thing" clearly does not.  :(

I think  it's a possibility for sure. I'm thinking EQN will launch with at least 1 new race that we haven't played as previously, so why not kobold...

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Starting at 41:10 mark.  it's pretty obvious EQN will allow some sort of system to give the player the option to play any role.

His answer to the question of one character being able to level multiple classes like in the Final Fantasy mmo isn't really answering the question. He answers why one character isn't made to have all class abilities at once. He states that you have to have multiple characters for different classes to promote group play. I would think that the FF system would promote it even better. It would allow for anyone to change into the class they needed for the group they wanted to join.

Maybe he just doesn't want to admit that they didn't think of it or that their current 'engine' doesn't support it....

Dear SOE, let me spell it out for you:   no rat, no cash. 

- Raph Koster

Originally posted by Margrave

His answer to the question of one character being able to level multiple classes like in the Final Fantasy mmo isn't really answering the question. He answers why one character isn't made to have all class abilities at once. He states that you have to have multiple characters for different classes to promote group play. I would think that the FF system would promote it even better. It would allow for anyone to change into the class they needed for the group they wanted to join.

Maybe he just doesn't want to admit that they didn't think of it or that their current 'engine' doesn't support it....

Here is Georgeson's (Head of EQ franchise, first guy to the left of the moderator) response: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3aI5CRaQvEg#t=2752s

• Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by Margrave

I agree with Azzamansin. If you watch the vid at 45:50 you get a clear answer from Dave G about how EQ next is striving to allow players to only have one character that can play multi classes (not at once). Dave is the only one who we should be taking "clues" from on this panel. Watch from around 46 to about 48. 

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

The artist also gave her man hands wtf? It's very unlikely that Firiona would be melee class as depicted by the new artwork. A bow, a dagger? I think not.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

That whole wallpaper thing has backfired on SOE in a big way.  Everything about that picture says World of Warcraft.  They should know by now that they are trying to do everything possible to distance themselves from anything WOW-like.  Maybe this was done a long time ago and it was what they were going with at the time and they couldn't change it in time......probably not though.

This is the first crack in the facade for EQ Next, up to now they said all the right things.  But big weapons, huge shoulder pads, cartoony art style.....it's all what has been wrong for the past 7 years in this genre.

They should have known better.  This wallpaper project should have never seen the light of day.  Pay the artists, and just chalk it up as a bad idea.

Hopefully the artwork in this awful wallpaper does not reflect the actual in game stuff.....but then again, this is SOE.  For everything great thing you can say about them, you also say the opposite.

EQ Next has a 50/50 chance of either incredible, game and genre changing success OR total abysmal failure on an epic level.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by bezado

The artist also gave her man hands wtf? It's very unlikely that Firiona would be melee class as depicted by the new artwork. A bow, a dagger? I think not.

The girl with the hammer has man hands too. It's hysterical how bad this all looks.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

To be it looked like they made Firiona a ranger, after all that is how a lot of rangers spec out bow/sword. I was a bit taken back when I saw then name her Firiona who is supposed to be a caster.  I am just hoping this is art and not actually character models, and I sure how is not showing us what the class system is. I know I keep reading less classes. However screwing up lore not cool. 

• OrimusOrimus Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by arieste

Do you have the full size 1920x1080 photo? I have it up on a 60" TV screen and the feet look nothing like  a Ratonga. The legs have an inverted, bent (monster-esk look) with large claws at the end. A Ratonga has more human type feet, but small and mouse/rat like.

The head has small spikes on the edges, along with what look like two small horns on the top. The face is elongated with a downward beak and the tongue is sticking out. The hands have three fingers and clawed. The skin is leathery looking.. Yea, and the tail..

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Jesus people are criticizing the art work, this site will be a horror show come August 2.
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    EQN is in an alternate universe. Maybe Firiona is a ranger there.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here