Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why aren't you playing EQ2?

245

Comments

  • KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

    EQ2 didn't feel like EQ. The character model skin was to shiny and clay like. The character progression had a funky choice not to far in which made you less of a character in certain things than in the original EQ.

    The combat style was really only good for me in groups. Solo play was a joke with my particular chosen class as in very boring and rinse repeat.

    They also missed the mark in crafting.

    The biggest thing in the game that made things interesting was going after fabled creatures to get much better items for your level, but that is taken away with the free to play models.

    Oh and your spell levels are lower in the free to play model as well.

    If they do free to play with EQ Next and the game turns out great I would be ok with subscription to gain full access if they use that same free to play model with restrictions on the cool stuff.

    Currently looking at 4 up and comming games though to find which ones are better.

    1. EQ Next----Aug 2 will know hopefully enough to make a decision on this one.

    2. Arch Age----Trion is handling the US port of the game, converting the language to english and getting servers up over here.

    3. Shroud of the Avatar----Richard Garriott AKA Lord British is making a spiritual next evolution of an Ultima style game.

    4. Elderscrolls Online----Have seen videos of this game and it looks sweet. Not sure how it will come together and be different that the usual games out there. Is it sandbox? Is it level grind? is is active combat or mash 1325 over and over.

    If anyone knows more details on why certain games I listed are better than others I would be interested in your opinion.

    All of these are reportedly sandbox

  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

    The little mans kept sending me on quests running back and forth to grab 3 turnips, kill 10 tigers, click on 3 rocks in a cave, and crap like that and I was just like "nope."

    edit: i did like the graphics though.  maybe i'm alone but i did like them.

    No, they were pretty much top of the line for that time frame, you're not alone.  My wife loved her Iksar Bruser.  Look at the other MMORPGs from 2003-2005 and compare the graphics.  They were actually pretty good.  Unfortunately, that came with the price of high system requirements and didn't even help the game get subs.

    It's sad when pushing the limits of hardware or attempting to innovate in game play you're more often than not punished vs companies that just release same old same old or make no attempt to take advantage of new hardware.

    Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

  • firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by Minjie

    Whats your reason for not playing EQ2? i know some of you probably are but im just curious as to why ALOT of people arent :)

     

    Finding people to group with leveling up and being a newbie not a lot of the better organized guilds want newbies....I don't like crappy guilds I want to play with people who know what they are doing and know the mechanics of the game inside and out and actually uses voice comms. Other than that from what I have played and still have a active sub (All Access Pass) I think its a great game just sucks playing alone or with terrible players.


  • firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by Gallus85
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

    The little mans kept sending me on quests running back and forth to grab 3 turnips, kill 10 tigers, click on 3 rocks in a cave, and crap like that and I was just like "nope."

    edit: i did like the graphics though.  maybe i'm alone but i did like them.

    No, they were pretty much top of the line for that time frame, you're not alone.  My wife loved her Iksar Bruser.  Look at the other MMORPGs from 2003-2005 and compare the graphics.  They were actually pretty good.  Unfortunately, that came with the price of high system requirements and didn't even help the game get subs.

    It's sad when pushing the limits of hardware or attempting to innovate in game play you're more often than not punished vs companies that just release same old same old or make no attempt to take advantage of new hardware.

    Well its pretty sad that people expect their Wal-Mart desktop to play MMOs and top of the line games then complain about lag and slow and jerky, you get what you pay for, its not a console lot of people don't realize you have to actually spend money to get a decent rig, a lot of people arent willing to do that as console prices and their games go up in price its more effective to actually build your own PC now.


  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Karble

    EQ2 didn't feel like EQ. The character model skin was to shiny and clay like. The character progression had a funky choice not to far in which made you less of a character in certain things than in the original EQ.

    The combat style was really only good for me in groups. Solo play was a joke with my particular chosen class as in very boring and rinse repeat.

    They also missed the mark in crafting.

    The biggest thing in the game that made things interesting was going after fabled creatures to get much better items for your level, but that is taken away with the free to play models.

    Oh and your spell levels are lower in the free to play model as well.

    If they do free to play with EQ Next and the game turns out great I would be ok with subscription to gain full access if they use that same free to play model with restrictions on the cool stuff.

    Currently looking at 4 up and comming games though to find which ones are better.

    1. EQ Next----Aug 2 will know hopefully enough to make a decision on this one.

    2. Arch Age----Trion is handling the US port of the game, converting the language to english and getting servers up over here.

    3. Shroud of the Avatar----Richard Garriott AKA Lord British is making a spiritual next evolution of an Ultima style game.

    4. Elderscrolls Online----Have seen videos of this game and it looks sweet. Not sure how it will come together and be different that the usual games out there. Is it sandbox? Is it level grind? is is active combat or mash 1325 over and over.

    If anyone knows more details on why certain games I listed are better than others I would be interested in your opinion.

    All of these are reportedly sandbox

    EQ2 didn't feel like EQ because they were trying to make a different experience, not just regurgitate something they'd already done with a new skin on it.  Of course, if you loved EQ the way it was, this probably wasn't a good thing.  But if EQ wasn't really your style, then EQ2 might have been way more appealing.  I liked both, but they were 2 different games, and I can easily see way many EQ players did not like EQ2.

    EQN will almost certainly be using the same F2P model that they have found to work well with EQ, Planetside 2, Vanguard and EQ2.  I suspect the $15 a month station pass and maybe $50 - $100 worth of Cash shop items a year will be more than enough for the average player.  Of course you'll be able to spend more, if you want.

    Archeage is a long ways out from a US release.  It does look decent though.  I wasn't impressed with the combat, but the game offers a good sandbox experience.

    ESO is a themepark game with RvRvR pvp much like GW2 I suppose.  Which could be fun.  But I suspect you're here on the EQN part of the forums, and mentioning things like Archeage and SotA because you're a sandbox fan.  So might not be for you.

    Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    I play from time to time, but I can never play too long cause the engine suuuuuuuucks.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

    1. Combat is boring

    2. Zones are uninteresting

    3. I don't want to buy expansions

    4. Friends I play with grab 10+ quests rapid fire and then run to the area where they faceroll the mobs because they are mentored down. I finally quit because I was so bored it was making me angry.

    Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by firefly2003

    Well its pretty sad that people expect their Wal-Mart desktop to play MMOs and top of the line games then complain about lag and slow and jerky, you get what you pay for, its not a console lot of people don't realize you have to actually spend money to get a decent rig, a lot of people arent willing to do that as console prices and their games go up in price its more effective to actually build your own PC now.

    I agree.  PCs do cost a little more money than consoles, but the games are cheaper (and better, ofcourse).  Between generally lower cost of PC games (Just about every title is -$10 over PS3/Xbox360 due to PC games not having to deal with microsoft or sony licensing fees), steam sales, out of country CD key sellers for steam/origin, torrenting, F2P games, free or cheap indie games (some of which are simply amazing, I might be biased though lol), etc etc.... A good gaming PC might run you +$200 over a console for the hardware.  Hell, maybe even $300 or $400 more than a console if you go for some really good parts, but that money is recouped and then some when you calculate in the game cost comparison.

    But ya, it's just human nature.  People do it all the time.  They buy a car, maybe a cheaper one, and give no though to it's gas mileage or maintenance costs.  They see one number and consider nothing else.

    It's just ironic that most hardcore gamers will champion for innovation, pushing the limits of hardware, not dumbing down games, etc etc.  Then make fun of the games that fail when they do it and don't get good sales.  It takes a lot of guts to be on a project and try to stick your neck out to try to give players something new.

    Ah well.  EQN will blow everything out of the water and then everyone can come crawling on their knees to Narrath.  Everything after August 2nd is going to be an EQN clone lol.

    Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680

    EQ2 best fantasy MMORPG hands down.

     

    EQ2 one of the worst graphics engines ever used hands down.

     

    That is the #1 issue it was the issue in beta, release and years later is still the biggest issue.

     

    Also graphics dated ?  With all the settings on high it is a really beautiful fantasy world calling the graphics dated is absurd its just not the style you like but it doesn't mean they're dated. 

  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,305
    Originally posted by hMJem

    Because it sucks?

     

    If I want to play an MMO before EQN comes out, I'd most definitely pick WoW/FFXIV/Rift and even Tera for the fun combat before I pick EQ2.

    Pretty much this. The combat sucks. Oops on this account I suppose to be somebody that never played anything other than WoW. Nvm

    Philosophy of MMO Game Design

  • Witchboy01Witchboy01 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I was a huge EQ 1 fan but never found EQ 2 immersive.   Even the spell descriptions make no effort to be anything other than a dry, unexplained list of mechanics.  "12-16 damage.  Stun for 3 s".  EQ 2 always lacked immersion for me because the mechanics were just so grossly, blatantly, and obviously on display.  I tried to many times but in the end it always feels...bland.  
  • firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by Gallus85
    Originally posted by firefly2003

    Well its pretty sad that people expect their Wal-Mart desktop to play MMOs and top of the line games then complain about lag and slow and jerky, you get what you pay for, its not a console lot of people don't realize you have to actually spend money to get a decent rig, a lot of people arent willing to do that as console prices and their games go up in price its more effective to actually build your own PC now.

    I agree.  PCs do cost a little more money than consoles, but the games are cheaper (and better, ofcourse).  Between generally lower cost of PC games (Just about every title is -$10 over PS3/Xbox360 due to PC games not having to deal with microsoft or sony licensing fees), steam sales, out of country CD key sellers for steam/origin, torrenting, F2P games, free or cheap indie games (some of which are simply amazing, I might be biased though lol), etc etc.... A good gaming PC might run you +$200 over a console for the hardware.  Hell, maybe even $300 or $400 more than a console if you go for some really good parts, but that money is recouped and then some when you calculate in the game cost comparison.

    But ya, it's just human nature.  People do it all the time.  They buy a car, maybe a cheaper one, and give no though to it's gas mileage or maintenance costs.  They see one number and consider nothing else.

    It's just ironic that most hardcore gamers will champion for innovation, pushing the limits of hardware, not dumbing down games, etc etc.  Then make fun of the games that fail when they do it and don't get good sales.  It takes a lot of guts to be on a project and try to stick your neck out to try to give players something new.

    Ah well.  EQN will blow everything out of the water and then everyone can come crawling on their knees to Narrath.  Everything after August 2nd is going to be an EQN clone lol.

    Have to agree PC games are laughably cheap on PC thru Steam this year alone Ive spent so much money on games on Steam good games at that for under 5-10 $ for 24hr, Weekly, and Weekend sales its not even funny :P nearing almost 100 games in my library :D


  • keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I used to play both EQ and EQ2 and i really liked EQ2 for a time but when i reached high end i had 3 maxed classes and i didn't care anything for any of my characters. The same when i played WOW when i got to high levels it just didn't mean anything and i think that is the reason i still play EQ and every other MMO out there is just too easy and you cant make a connection to your character or even have any pride in what you have created.
  • firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by Gallus85
    Originally posted by firefly2003

    Well its pretty sad that people expect their Wal-Mart desktop to play MMOs and top of the line games then complain about lag and slow and jerky, you get what you pay for, its not a console lot of people don't realize you have to actually spend money to get a decent rig, a lot of people arent willing to do that as console prices and their games go up in price its more effective to actually build your own PC now.

    I agree.  PCs do cost a little more money than consoles, but the games are cheaper (and better, ofcourse).  Between generally lower cost of PC games (Just about every title is -$10 over PS3/Xbox360 due to PC games not having to deal with microsoft or sony licensing fees), steam sales, out of country CD key sellers for steam/origin, torrenting, F2P games, free or cheap indie games (some of which are simply amazing, I might be biased though lol), etc etc.... A good gaming PC might run you +$200 over a console for the hardware.  Hell, maybe even $300 or $400 more than a console if you go for some really good parts, but that money is recouped and then some when you calculate in the game cost comparison.

    But ya, it's just human nature.  People do it all the time.  They buy a car, maybe a cheaper one, and give no though to it's gas mileage or maintenance costs.  They see one number and consider nothing else.

    It's just ironic that most hardcore gamers will champion for innovation, pushing the limits of hardware, not dumbing down games, etc etc.  Then make fun of the games that fail when they do it and don't get good sales.  It takes a lot of guts to be on a project and try to stick your neck out to try to give players something new.

    Ah well.  EQN will blow everything out of the water and then everyone can come crawling on their knees to Narrath.  Everything after August 2nd is going to be an EQN clone lol.

    EQN may blow fantasy games out of the water, but Star Citzen will completely destroy every current sci-fi MMO out there :D


  • wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

    Because it's not out yet.

     

  • ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by Minjie

    Whats your reason for not playing EQ2? i know some of you probably are but im just curious as to why ALOT of people arent :)

     

    because EQ2 is an awful game..

    it doesnt deserve the Everquest name, plays more like Diablo2, has a shit game engine, the lamest shallow combat and group dynamics, a skill/spell system thats horribly bloated and wtf dumb, and has character models and animations that look like they were done by drunk high school dropouts. its a raid endgame and the raids are shit. so that leaves the rest of the game as soloing with your mercenary, grinding 2000 AAs... have fun with that. oh, and 99% of the zones are completely empty of players.

    thats why. and that probably covers why 90% of players avoid EQ2 like the plague, and why EQ1 still, and has always, done far better than EQ2. pathetic.

    EQ2 is the walking dead.. kill it with fire and erase it from memory. Guarantee you that when they "scrapped and restarted" EQNext, it was because some sane fellows noticed that it was just another EQ2.5 disaster waiting to happen. SOE was very smart to design in the opposite direction of EQ2.

     

  • ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by William12

    EQ2 best fantasy MMORPG hands down.

     

    EQ2 one of the worst graphics engines ever used hands down.

     

    That is the #1 issue it was the issue in beta, release and years later is still the biggest issue.

     

    Also graphics dated ?  With all the settings on high it is a really beautiful fantasy world calling the graphics dated is absurd its just not the style you like but it doesn't mean they're dated. 

    rofl.... EQ2 is at best a toxic stew of design contradictions and shortcuts and badness. combat is pathetically shallow. character development is full of useless and redundant skills/spells. group dynamics are NONEXiSTENT. aesthetically the game is meh - character models and animations and spell effects are ATROCIOUS. just wtf bad. EQ's are far better. The gameworld and lore is top to bottom rehashed EQ, but with wax dummy models! yay?  the game engine is so famously bad that its become MMO legend. but its got player housing! lol

    EQ2... hands down the most embarrassing failure of a MMO. considering the Everquest name, the strength of the franchise at the time of its release.... its a more awful and embarrasing failure than Warhammer or Age of Conan or Tabula Rasa. EQ2 exists today because it has 1000 diehard cash cows remaining, who enjoy cybering with their game boyfriends in their player houses in Kelethin too much to quit.

  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

    Lots of vitriol here, I do not understand it myself.  Having played more than a couple of MMORPGs in the past my list of all time favorites would be:

    Everquest, Everquest 2, WoW and Rift (pre Storm Legion) in that order. Then a long gap to other games.

    Different folks, different tastes I guess.

  • exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

    Not playing eq2 because... I just don't like it. Preordered it, played it at launch. Went back after an expansion or 2, then once again when it went FTP. Last attempt made a character, and was so bored I just left him in the forest, I didn't care enough to even get him back to town.

    sometimes you just don't like a game, my usual gaming group likes eq2 well enough, most played for a couple of years, where I just didn't like it. It almost felt like a chore to log in. When you would rather mow the yard than play a game, it's time to call it.

  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    It's on the hard drive.   I just  haven't played in months. It got a little dull  

    No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,719
    Originally posted by Minjie

    Whats your reason for not playing EQ2? i know some of you probably are but im just curious as to why ALOT of people arent :)

     

    the game engine. Although the graphics are dated the graphics themselves are not an issue to me, but the engine is just horrible, it doesnt play well, it feels wrong, heavy, clunky, unoptimized, unpolished.... The game is old and still they never managed to optimize that engine and polish that game all these years to the level of something like WoW. Not even close.

    EDIT: i played like amonth ago for a couple days or less. Cant play that game for longer than that.





  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,719
    Originally posted by wrightstuf

    Because it's not out yet.

     

    look at the title, it says EQ2. NOt sure why it was posted on EQN but the OP question is about EQ2





  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,623
    Dated, clunky, not a fan of the way the world is layed out, poor coding on the back end...

    image

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Minjie

    Whats your reason for not playing EQ2?

    The attitude of EQ1 players ~2003.

    The attitude of SOE in the modern ($tation Ca$h) era.

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I played EQ2 for five years since launch. Best MMO I played. I eventually got bored of playing just because I don't think any one game can hold my attention forever.

    Their graphics engine sucks a big one. I always get terrible FPS even now with a new rig. SOE can come up with great ideas but their code optimization sucks (remember how buggy SWG was at launch?).
Sign In or Register to comment.