Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP in a Sandbox, what should it be like?

vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

I'm still looking for that true PvP Sandbox experience, where there are hundreds of skills to be learned and combined, where skill & stat management is as deep as the crafting systems and NPC Faction reputation matters.

Here is a wall of text I randomly spewed out just a few minutes ago from the above sentence;

Do I want every play-style to be able to compete? YES! Do I want a fair game? NO, I want a FUN game. A game where players compete in niche areas of the game either in a micro or macro way. Twitch vs prescripts. Do I want forced PvP, depends on what you mean by forced, there should be safe places where players can compete at top level in certain niche areas of the game, there should be unsafe places where other players can compete in other niche parts of the game. These areas are also woven together through the faction and resource management that affect all parts of the game and every niche. So some players will be force to pvp if they want to compete in all aspects of the game yes, but that should really not be a requirement to enjoy the this game.

Loot: All loot from NPC and Players should be what they are wearing & whats in their backpack pockets, the world should also be full of variations of loot some rare some unique per server.

Quests: Quests are faction reputation gain missions & resource gathering missions, this could be to find a boss who has a certain item or a rare resource-node at a hard to reach place.

Levels: Levels on everything, a healthy level cap in relation to the amount of items that have skills tied to them and if you want you could put all levels into one thing or spread them out and create a jack of all trades.

Skills: Skills in abundance, to many to count, level one to cap or get all of them at level one, find the right balance between skill amount, skill level, stat distribution and play-style. Skills on items combined worlds, Crafters get combat skills through knowledge of their items, Needle and Thread to cap level, you could sow using the rarest materials, and throw needles like a ninja. This works the other way too, so someone with blacksmith-hammer at cap could make swords but if one has sword item at cap one can make even better swords as well as combat wield them.

Crafting: Crafting as deep as the ocean, craft everything, all you need are rare materials that will be endgame to find.

Factions: NPC Static factions controlling resource node areas. Do you want to get the best metals, you need to gain reputation with the NPC Faction controlling the mines, that NPC Faction might be in conflict with the NPC Faction controlling the herb territories, so you gain reputation in one part of the world doing one thing loosing faction reputation in another creating a dynamic war between players and NPC.

End game: Skill & stat management, NPC Faction reputation management, "Player Faction" reputation management, resource management, territory control.

Targeting: TAB or Action, script or twitch.

Control: Any peripheral you choose to set up, some might be better than others ; ).

UI: Free UI, move anything anywhere, skin it do whatever.

Some games in the past have been close to this, so far this does not exist.