Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favorite aspect of FFXIV ARR so far?

Comments

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Everything about the game is very well done, but for me, the job system and party combos is where its at :)
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    My fav is
    p2p
    chocobos
    and fight Summons
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

The ambiance and atmosphere... as a single entity, including but not limited to :

day/night, the way everything lights up at night, torches and windows, taverns, etc...

weather, the way the fog rolls in, the rain storms are perfect, the way your feet splash water when you run through the grass during rainfall, and grass flies from your feet when it's dry. etc...

the ambient sounds of the environments, the chatter of people growing louder as an area gets more congested with players...

the fact that you can actually sit on stumps and logs, chairs and benches, anywhere and everywhere, etc...

so many little details that are very important to me, that complement an already great game and make is truly shine.

/nod

The ambiance and atmosphere...

this is what draws in people like me little details, anyone can make a pretty game but when you are willing to put great effort into the little details that no one will really talk about in fact it should be things you don't even think about it should fill normal.

this is the kind of thing that pulled me into WoW and kept me their for so long, and if this game is even half of what im hearing I hope it will finally be a MMO I can call home again ever since I lost my last one.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

There are Moogles and Cactuar and Epic Turtles. I'm hooked.

I hate doing alts. The job/class system will no doubt be a grind but I love that the option is there for me. I like the hunting log and crafting I have barely touched but it looks semi-interesting.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Yes i have always loved the job system as i played FFXi but in FFXIV i think it is the crafting harvesting.I also just simply love the learning process behind the systems.

When the game goes live i already know what i will be doing first without question it will be mining in UlDah.Then i will level several classes,then most likely as soon as i can afford the Ferry i will trip to Lominsa and start fishing.One thing i remember well in FFXI was waiting too long to get into crafting,you get so far behind your levels it feels like a lot of work.So by doing the crafts and harvesting early on it will be more valuable and less work.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Murugan

Mine is also the job system, however I also really like the Armory Chest.

Having 25 spaces per equipment slots and being able to change to any new gear sets with the click of a button (not changing a whole macro around) is a huge convenience.  In most MMO's (geaer swapping allowed or not) 90%+ of my inventory is taken up by equipment.

Oh and best part is I didn't have to pay the cash shop for bag space.

Plus you will be able to eventually use Retainers,yes i love the space much better than in FFXI where it was a real problem.Also as mentioned the ease of switching between classes and crafting is nice.Quite often when i start  to get tired near the end of the night,i feel like i can't get anything done but because of the ease of switching,i could be on a Conjurer and immediately change to a miner and mine stuff right beside where i am standing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by khameleon

All of the features in this game have been done many times before in past games.

So, what really is the reason to play and best "feature" in this game is the setting, it is in the Final Fantasy world. 

So, the classes, enemies, items, MUSIC!!, art, all bring back memories of all the great games in this series and this is another one of them.

If this game was not final fantasy, nobody would play it, it would be another generic mmorpg because the quests, combat, and everything else in it have nothing new about them. Everything in this game is solid, but still I doubt it would keep many players if it was not FF.

But hey this is why this game is so great, it is actually based on a world and series millions of people have loved over the past 20+ years and is solid at everything it does.

I think this is the correct answer. I'm not a huge fan of Final Fantasy series, I really like the games I played so far (IX and X), but that's it. So after playing in the beta last weekend I can say it looks like any other recent mmorpg to me. There was honestly nothing that grabbed my attention. The only thing that reminded me I played FF was the chocobos and music.

Seems like all you guys just really like FF series and that is all. This game is really nothing that special if you take the title away. I would play it if I didn't play two other recent mmorpgs. It felt like playing one of those over again, nothing new. Sorry if this offends some hardcore fans or guys who claim "they just like it, but not that much" and still defend it like hardcore fans ;)

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by Murugan

Mine is also the job system, however I also really like the Armory Chest.

Having 25 spaces per equipment slots and being able to change to any new gear sets with the click of a button (not changing a whole macro around) is a huge convenience.  In most MMO's (geaer swapping allowed or not) 90%+ of my inventory is taken up by equipment.

Oh and best part is I didn't have to pay the cash shop for bag space.

Plus you will be able to eventually use Retainers,yes i love the space much better than in FFXI where it was a real problem.Also as mentioned the ease of switching between classes and crafting is nice.Quite often when i start  to get tired near the end of the night,i feel like i can't get anything done but because of the ease of switching,i could be on a Conjurer and immediately change to a miner and mine stuff right beside where i am standing.

I have a legacy account so I already have access to both my retainers, and my armoire in my inn room.

Plus of course once housing comes along we will have unlimited storage there with all sorts of furniture like XI (except not having to live like a hoarder in a tiny inn room).

Also to the post above, typically w hen someone asks what YOU like about a game,  The "correct" answer is what you yourself think.  So in your case it would be nothing, but the other people in this thread are not "wrong" because they are stating what they like.  I shouldn't have to explain this, but this is the internet and you don't read anyways.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

I guess being a long time FF player I cannot speak for those that are not. But being that I am, I can admit that there is a lot of familiarity in this game. From FF & from other MMO's. TBH, that could be why I'm liking it so much. It takes the best ingredients for this type of game, adds a bit of soul & throws it into one epic (so far) game.

It's like this, everyone wants a flying car & is waiting. Well in the meantime, since there isn't a flying car, I'll just have to settle for this landlocked Lamborghini.

Just my opinion.

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

Something that I found amazing is, whenever you equipe a ring you can actually see it in-game on your character. Same applies for neck gear. Very impressive.

I like how well and diverse the gear designs are. Especially considering that once endgame hits its all about the gear.

The music is A+.

Dynamic weather is really nice.

Considering how simple the low level dungeons of WoW and SWTOR were I was really impressed with the early dungeons of this game.

I also appreciate how the made BLM less one demisional having to balance between high damage spells and mana regen.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by kuujo
    Originally posted by khameleon

All of the features in this game have been done many times before in past games.

So, what really is the reason to play and best "feature" in this game is the setting, it is in the Final Fantasy world. 

So, the classes, enemies, items, MUSIC!!, art, all bring back memories of all the great games in this series and this is another one of them.

If this game was not final fantasy, nobody would play it, it would be another generic mmorpg because the quests, combat, and everything else in it have nothing new about them. Everything in this game is solid, but still I doubt it would keep many players if it was not FF.

But hey this is why this game is so great, it is actually based on a world and series millions of people have loved over the past 20+ years and is solid at everything it does.

I think this is the correct answer. I'm not a huge fan of Final Fantasy series, I really like the games I played so far (IX and X), but that's it. So after playing in the beta last weekend I can say it looks like any other recent mmorpg to me. There was honestly nothing that grabbed my attention. The only thing that reminded me I played FF was the chocobos and music.

Seems like all you guys just really like FF series and that is all. This game is really nothing that special if you take the title away. I would play it if I didn't play two other recent mmorpgs. It felt like playing one of those over again, nothing new. Sorry if this offends some hardcore fans or guys who claim "they just like it, but not that much" and still defend it like hardcore fans ;)

I agree that other than the Final Fantasy setting, there is nothing particularly new or special about this game. However, for some people, that setting is truly amazing, and enough reason alone to subscribe. And that's perfectly valid. Who is to say which aspect of a game should carry the most weight? For some people, the setting of a game is simply more important than the combat, or the economy, or any other number of MMO features, which, at the end of the day, eventually become stale anyway, regardless of how novel they were. 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    [mod edit]
    Post deleted as the problem has been rectified.  :)   Thank you, mods.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I really enjoy the weather and sky domes as well.

Also...

The hope the Hildibrand will make a return!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV1jNpQS6zc

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by evilized

i'm probably what most people would consider a power gamer / pvper / min-maxer

i sat and read through all the quest text with this game...

:|

some of it is pretty funny and good

• DHavenDHaven Member Posts: 14

My favorite aspect of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is Final fantasy, lol.

I'm not sure if the game itself got me tendentious, but there is a whole atmosphere of FF saga and I - as a huge fan - can not miss. Every aspect in the game has a meaning, don't know, a magic.

Themepark, tab-target, standard gameplay?

Yeah, can't deny it. However, its kind of insignificant if you know how to feel this game. 

"Non siamo angeli in volo venuti dal cielo, ma gente comune che ama davvero."

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

the beauty of the game.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• peanutabcpeanutabc Member UncommonPosts: 176

art and music.

I think everything is is just extremely poor and those two things alone can't carry the game for me.

I wanted to like it too :(

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    I am in love with the gathering and crafting. They nailed it in this area, I hope there's even more to it since I didn't get that far during phase 3.
  • Maik36Maik36 Member CommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by peanutabc

art and music.

I think everything is is just extremely poor and those two things alone can't carry the game for me.

I wanted to like it too :(

Everything is extremely poor?   And here I was thinking this thread would stay positive for once.  :(

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    crafting, by far, its the main reason i even tried it
  • Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by evilized

i'm probably what most people would consider a power gamer / pvper / min-maxer

i sat and read through all the quest text with this game...

:|

Dude I am there with you, read it all. And then after I logged out and wondered... wtf did I just do.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by BadSpock

There is just so much to do and see in this game, and the production quality is just so remarkably AAA in all aspects. I love the controller setup and the fact I was playing this very well put together MMO from my couch on my PS3 Friday morning.

You are one of the few posters on this forum I enjoy reading posts from.  I am pleased  that you  like this game as it adds weight behind my own thoughts.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Tail swipe of female Miqo'te. :D
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I like this thread. We are all so critical about what we don't like and always forget the good points.  Although there are some things I that didn't like changed, the good things in ARR far out weigh all those things that I forget about them.

Housing (yeh I know its not in  game yet, but its one of the functions I'm looking forward to the most)

Class/Job system (Don't really understand anyone disliking this)

Chocobo's (BFF)

Grand Companies ( For me I get a sense of belonging, makes you feel you are helping out the cause)

Learning curve (each dungeon carefully introduces new mechanics as you go, can't fault it for that)

Monster models  (they look great, some cute some intimidating)

Music (never really be much into game music I normally stick on my own,  but the music here I can listen to endlessly)

Achievement's and the feeling of (I like this sort of thing, superficial as it may be, it what gives me satisfaction of doing stuff)

Hunting/crafting/gathering log ( nothing new but great)

Gear Sets (no need for lengthy time creating macro's, and can drag the buttons to your hot bar)

Dye system (simple and done well)

Environment (every area is beautifully designed)

Story (No other game has had me drawn in as ARR story has)

Ability to join friends from other servers (speaks for itself)

Crafting (simpler and quicker but still keeps that interest for those who like to HQ)

Accessability  (you can play as little and as much as you want and still feel you got something accompilshed)

Weather system  (as someone already mentioned, the execution is done brilliantly)

Watching day become night looking over a city and seeing the transformation

Cutscenes  (some I could just loop and watch over and over.)