Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I need to wait for ps4 version square Enix or Sony?

BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

Im not buying both versions, if I buy the ps3 version and then buy a ps4, will I have to buy another copy of ff arr for ps4? 

I will hold off on buying ps3 version if that is the case. I know Sony and square were negotiating, but what has come of it? 

Come on Sony? Square? Speak up. 

Comments

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    If you buy it for PS3 then you will have to rebuy it for PS4. PS4 won't be backwards compatible so no PS3 game will work on it, too many internal changes. I would highly recommend buying it for pc instead because the game will look and run better.
  • rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Krashner
    If you buy it for PS3 then you will have to rebuy it for PS4. PS4 won't be backwards compatible so no PS3 game will work on it, too many internal changes. I would highly recommend buying it for pc instead because the game will look and run better.

This is completely untrue.

First, SE is negotiating with Sony to have PS3 players transition to the PS4 without having to re-purchase the game.  Second, backwards compatibility is a non-issue once SE puts XIV as a digital download on the PSN.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

wrong most likly you can transfer your ps3 account to ps4. just like pc players can upgrade tot he dx 11 client for free

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by rykim86

First, SE is negotiating with Sony to have PS3 players transition to the PS4 without having to re-purchase the game.  Second, backwards compatibility is a non-issue once SE puts XIV as a digital download on the PSN.

Well that's news to me, however I wasn't wrong about the backwards compatibility. The PS3 disc WILL NOT WORK in a PS4, if they allow a free digital download for people who bought it on PS3, then that's completely different. I will say that I've never known Square Enix to miss a chance to take people's money.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

He's not wrong, until a solid published agreement is released then you have to assume you'll need to buy a separate boxed version for the ps4.

Secondly digital downloads are optional, not essential for ps4 unless Sony have been lying through their teeth. Sony have stated that physical copies of games will be exactly the same for the ps4 as they were for the ps3.

For this to be true they would need to send out free physical copies of the game to everyone who buys the ps3 version, please don't    make unfounded claims, we simply don't know any of this for certain right now.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Raxeon

wrong most likly you can transfer your ps3 account to ps4. just like pc players can upgrade tot he dx 11 client for free

He's talking about physical copies of the game, not accounts. Consoles work quite differently to PCs.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Zinzan

He's talking about physical copies of the game, not accounts. Consoles work quite differently to PCs.

well yea physical copy

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Well that's news to me, however I wasn't wrong about the backwards compatibility. The PS3 disc WILL NOT WORK in a PS4, if they allow a free digital download for people who bought it on PS3, then that's completely different. I will say that I've never known Square Enix to miss a chance to take people's money.

They actually gave about 18 months of free game time with FFXIV.  In addition to giving free copies of the game to those who owned the first version, and selling new copies at half the price of new games.

xD

The also only charged $9.99/mo when they finally fixed the first version.  But yes, they're a company so I'm sure they'll take any money they're able to get.

:P

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

They actually gave about 18 months of free game time with FFXIV.  In addition to giving free copies of the game to those who owned the first version, and selling new copies at half the price of new games.

xD

The also only charged $9.99/mo when they finally fixed the first version.  But yes, they're a company so I'm sure they'll take any money they're able to get.

:P

Lots of good history here and like krashner is saying we will have to wait and see.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Raxeon Originally posted by Krashner If you buy it for PS3 then you will have to rebuy it for PS4. PS4 won't be backwards compatible so no PS3 game will work on it, too many internal changes. I would highly recommend buying it for pc instead because the game will look and run better.

Well, for FFXI: it runs on the PC, PS2, and Xbox 360.

You can use a single account to play on all 3 platforms, but you have to buy the software separately each time.

I would assume that when/if the PS4 (or any other) version comes out, you will have to buy the box for that, but will be able to use the same account. Maybe/Hopefully they can work out some kind of deal where you can just download it from the PSN, but I would be very surprised if that comes to light.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by Krashner If you buy it for PS3 then you will have to rebuy it for PS4. PS4 won't be backwards compatible so no PS3 game will work on it, too many internal changes. I would highly recommend buying it for pc instead because the game will look and run better.

Well, for FFXI: it runs on the PC, PS2, and Xbox 360.

You can use a single account to play on all 3 platforms, but you have to buy the software separately each time.

I would assume that when/if the PS4 (or any other) version comes out, you will have to buy the box for that, but will be able to use the same account. Maybe/Hopefully they can work out some kind of deal where you can just download it from the PSN, but I would be very surprised if that comes to light.

That's to bad really, I doubt I will even bother playing it by that time. Now if I would have started playing and it grew on me I might have considered but this buy two box copies stuff is ridiculous. 

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    the PC version is only 30 bucks might as well get that until PS4 version if you still feel like it.