Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow!

RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
Wow, it seems like this game has been in development FOREVER!  Anyone heard what they are going to show in August?  It seems like they haven't really given us anything up to this point.

Currently playing:
Rift
Played:
SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
World of Warcraft, AoC

Comments

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Raventree
    Wow, it seems like this game has been in development FOREVER!  Anyone heard what they are going to show in August?  It seems like they haven't really given us anything up to this point.

Everything, it will be a huge reveal according to people working on the game.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    It is about time!  So far it has been like 4 years of, we can't say anything at all.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

I'd just like to say that most games take 4+ years to develop.

They've given us bits and pieces of information:

1. It exists.
    2. It will be a massive sandbox.
    3. No Themepark.
    4. New Engine (as seen on Planetside 2)
    5. I believe they said it is F2P.
    6. They've shown a couple of screenshots.
    7. I'm sure there's other bits, but you get the point.
  • deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by tkoreaper

1. It exists.
    3. No Themepark.

Point 2 coupled with 5 ( if true ) make me VERY skeptical about this game... a F2P sandbox ?

If it's heavy on the PvP ( as most, if not all sandboxes are ), this will be the game with the worse community ever, we're talking LoL levels here...

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by deveilblad

I'd just like to say that most games take 4+ years to develop.   They've given us bits and pieces of information: It exists. It will be a massive sandbox. No Themepark. New Engine (as seen on Planetside 2) I believe they said it is F2P. They've shown a couple of screenshots. I'm sure there's other bits, but you get the point.

Point 2 coupled with 5 ( if true ) make me VERY skeptical about this game... a F2P sandbox ?

If it's heavy on the PvP ( as most, if not all sandboxes are ), this will be the game with the worse community ever, we're talking LoL levels here...

Agreed!!!

Especially with the skepticism coming from point 5. So sad very very sad.
  • tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

1. It exists.
    3. No Themepark.

They said EQN will be the largest sandbox game in existence. Keep in mind that sandbox is a very broad term and it could go in many different directions. F2P isn't very bad either, I think people just have a very bad taste in their mouths from the slew of horrible F2P/P2W games. If you look at much more mature games like Rift and Planetside 2 (Which is SOE btw) you'll notice that the F2P model CAN and DOES work and is no way like those other horrible games.

Here's a quote from an article:

When asked about it, Smedley indicated that EverQuest Next would hew to F2P as well. He also said players shouldn't worry that they haven't heard much about this new title because the secrecy is intentional. "We want to get it right," Smedley said. "That's the pillar of our company and we are going to get it right. We're also making the next generation of MMOs, not an evolution -- and everyone says that, but in this case, we're zigging every other company's zag. Everybody's making WoW 1.5. We're doing something else."

• MischiefMischief Member UncommonPosts: 79

They said EQN will be the largest sandbox game in existence. Keep in mind that sandbox is a very broad term and it could go in many different directions. F2P isn't very bad either, I think people just have a very bad taste in their mouths from the slew of horrible F2P/P2W games. If you look at much more mature games like Rift and Planetside 2 (Which is SOE btw) you'll notice that the F2P model CAN and DOES work and is no way like those other horrible games.

F2P is P2W...  I have yet to see a F2P game that doesn't offer competitive advantages for giving them money.   XP potions, more bags, better gear, unlocking weapons...   Im not intending to miss your overall point, which is some F2P models are much worse than others.  Its just I'm exhausted with people who believe F2P is something beneficial cause it is a blight on the MMO industry.  

I am looking forward to EQN, I like sandbox style games, I like the Everquest world, I am intrigued by Storybricks, I love the idea of the Player Studio... The only thing that I have heard so far that I look on with dread is the payment model.  Hopefully it will be as subtle as possible but man do I wish they would just let me pay them $15 a month and call it good....

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Mischief

F2P is P2W...  I have yet to see a F2P game that doesn't offer competitive advantages for giving them money.   XP potions, more bags, better gear, unlocking weapons...   Im not intending to miss your overall point, which is some F2P models are much worse than others.  Its just I'm exhausted with people who believe F2P is something beneficial cause it is a blight on the MMO industry.  

I am looking forward to EQN, I like sandbox style games, I like the Everquest world, I am intrigued by Storybricks, I love the idea of the Player Studio... The only thing that I have heard so far that I look on with dread is the payment model.  Hopefully it will be as subtle as possible but man do I wish they would just let me pay them $15 a month and call it good....

TF2/GW2 don't have many P2W options. I haven't played much PS2, but it doesn't seem to have too much of an issue either.

EQN will most likely follow SOE's other games with multiple levels of buy in. F2P, Sub, and something in between when you spend a little $. F2P has its pros and cons, but either way, it is the future (especially SOE's).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

They scrapped the game 18 ,months ago,so in reality the game is barely half done.This has the August time line looking extremely odd as it makes no sense.Why keep everything a secret then release information only half way through the development?

Are they just tossing in a whole pile of rushed maps and going on one gimmick just so they can get the game out this Christmas?Other wise why wouldn't you wait until closer to release,i mean games have their sacred NDA and yet are willing to spill trade secrets this easily and early,makes no sense.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

1. It exists.
    3. No Themepark.

Here's a quote from an article:

When asked about it, Smedley indicated that EverQuest Next would hew to F2P as well. He also said players shouldn't worry that they haven't heard much about this new title because the secrecy is intentional. "We want to get it right," Smedley said. "That's the pillar of our company and we are going to get it right. We're also making the next generation of MMOs, not an evolution -- and everyone says that, but in this case, we're zigging every other company's zag. Everybody's making WoW 1.5. We're doing something else."

Quoting and hanging off Smed's words is not the best position in the world.

Originally posted by Wizardry

They scrapped the game 18 ,months ago,so in reality the game is barely half done.This has the August time line looking extremely odd as it makes no sense.Why keep everything a secret then release information only half way through the development?

Are they just tossing in a whole pile of rushed maps and going on one gimmick just so they can get the game out this Christmas?Other wise why wouldn't you wait until closer to release,i mean games have their sacred NDA and yet are willing to spill trade secrets this easily and early,makes no sense.

Your assuming that scrapping the game is starting everything over from scratch..  But we know they are using the same engine and they still have all the art assets.  So really its hard to say how long it will take, I guess that is why their is so much speculation.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Not the whole game was scrapped; assets and the basic framework were still there.

Basically it was like a house renovation. They left the basic skeleton and framework there, tore down all the sheet rock and gutted the plumbing. They then began installing new sheet rock, updated the plumbing and cleaned up. Sure, they may have knocked out a wall here or there to improve flow and function, but it wasn't a start from scratch sort of scenario. At least that's how a lot of the interviews made it sound.

So yeah, it does look kinda of odd to be doing the "we want to keep it secret so the competition can't steal our design" and then have a mass info barrage next month with the possibility of releasing sometime into next year. That's why I think they tore what they had down to a 'half finished' state and spent the next 18 months renovating. It's possible the game is finished to their liking so they plan to reveal the game and then release it shortly after. 

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• HahhnsHahhns Member Posts: 210

They scrapped thew design aspect, everything else has been made and ready to go . They didn't pull a blizzard and scrap a project like titan after being meh about it. They had idea they were finalizing and finally had the idea they wanted.

They have a huge huge team, they can do a lot in a short period. There going free to play and it was said in an interview they would not force pvp on everyone. They can have a great model without it being p2w, but those who disagree are just trolling

Originally posted by fyerwall

Not the whole game was scrapped; assets and the basic framework were still there.

Basically it was like a house renovation. They left the basic skeleton and framework there, tore down all the sheet rock and gutted the plumbing. They then began installing new sheet rock, updated the plumbing and cleaned up. Sure, they may have knocked out a wall here or there to improve flow and function, but it wasn't a start from scratch sort of scenario. At least that's how a lot of the interviews made it sound.

So yeah, it does look kinda of odd to be doing the "we want to keep it secret so the competition can't steal our design" and then have a mass info barrage next month with the possibility of releasing sometime into next year. That's why I think they tore what they had down to a 'half finished' state and spent the next 18 months renovating. It's possible the game is finished to their liking so they plan to reveal the game and then release it shortly after. 

Pretty much.  There is no point in tearing down the fabric of the world to re-institute rules that are not dependent on that.  My only worry is Dave Georgeson's implementation of his Cash Shop in EQN.  In EQ2 it has already become obnoxious, even if you have a full subscription. 

Originally posted by Hahhns

They scrapped thew design aspect, everything else has been made and ready to go . They didn't pull a blizzard and scrap a project like titan after being meh about it. They had idea they were finalizing and finally had the idea they wanted.

They have a huge huge team, they can do a lot in a short period. There going free to play and it was said in an interview they would not force pvp on everyone. They can have a great model without it being p2w, but those who disagree are just trolling

See, that's something I am wondering about:

How much did Blizzard really scrap of Titan?

I have a feeling they saw all the hype starting for EQN, read the interviews and thought "Hrm, Titan is looking a lot like ESO/Wildstar/WoW 2.0... I think we need to pull back here and see what happens" and just put the game on hold. I believe that they are waiting for the actual info release from SOE on EQNext to see what they can poach. 

Originally posted by Telondariel

Pretty much.  There is no point in tearing down the fabric of the world to re-institute rules that are not dependent on that.  My only worry is Dave Georgeson's implementation of his Cash Shop in EQN.  In EQ2 it has already become obnoxious, even if you have a full subscription. 

Eh, I think I've used the EQ2 cash shop maybe twice in the last 4 years, once for an expansion before they removed those and once for a server transfer token for a character build many years before on a server none of my friends played on anymore. And I have a subscription. The only time I see anything cash shop related is when I first log into the game with the "Whats new" window.

Now if they start throwing popups in game for cash shop ads, then yeah, I would get annoyed.

Originally posted by Allein

TF2/GW2 don't have many P2W options. I haven't played much PS2, but it doesn't seem to have too much of an issue either.

EQN will most likely follow SOE's other games with multiple levels of buy in. F2P, Sub, and something in between when you spend a little $. F2P has its pros and cons, but either way, it is the future (especially SOE's).

I haven't tried TF2 so I can't comment on it.  I have played GW2 and PS2 though.  GW2 has the gems to gold conversion so you can purchase better gear with real life money.  PS2 you needed to unlock weapons (they said they were all equal power level but lets just be honest here) which could be done with extreme amounts of xp or with your credit card instantly.  Both games had xp boosting items for purchase with cash.  Again I know that comparatively these games have been much better about it than some of the terrible terrible games, but none the less the more money you give them the more powerful you are.  It is deceptive marketing.  Its not really the future, It's the now, and it wont change until we as consumers force the change.

Eh, I think I've used the EQ2 cash shop maybe twice in the last 4 years, once for an expansion before they removed those and once for a server transfer token for a character build many years before on a server none of my friends played on anymore. And I have a subscription. The only time I see anything cash shop related is when I first log into the game with the "Whats new" window.

Now if they start throwing popups in game for cash shop ads, then yeah, I would get annoyed.

Use it or not; that was not my point.

Its the invasiveness of the Cash Shop, even with a subscription, that annoys me.  I feel that if I pay my monthly bit, I should not have to be exposed to the pop-ups, and the UI crap.  Every year, there are more and more UI tags to lead you to the CS to make the game easier.

That is what I was talking about.  I don't want EQ3 + FreeRealms.

• Mr.ZerooneMr.Zeroone Member Posts: 34
    "I believe they said it is F2P."

PLEASE NO!

This can't be true. I really hate this payment method because it impacts on all mechanics in the game!
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

F2P is P2W...  I

What? I have yet to play a free to play game that I would say is pay to win.  Perhaps it's a north american thing not to have pay to win.  i dunno.    It' s always subjective to ppl i suppose but xp packs and stuff like that that only advance pve are not p2w to me.  Let them pay for that, who cares.

Use it or not; that was not my point.

Its the invasiveness of the Cash Shop, even with a subscription, that annoys me.  I feel that if I pay my monthly bit, I should not have to be exposed to the pop-ups, and the UI crap.  Every year, there are more and more UI tags to lead you to the CS to make the game easier.

That is what I was talking about.  I don't want EQ3 + FreeRealms.

I see what you are saying now. Things like the 'Repair all' CS button on mender screens and the such. 

• FaarmMercyFaarmMercy Member Posts: 32

1. It exists.
    3. No Themepark.

That's crazy. EVE is the largest sandbox around and has a great community.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    I got a feeling it might be Darkfall done right, with good developers behind it, maybe it's the muppet in me ahaha

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I'm pretty sure I've seen you post this same thing on other threads, where multiple people have tried to explain to you that it wasn't completely scrapped and they didn't completely start over.  Do you just refuse to listen to reason and remain dead set on believing that EVERYTHING was tossed away and the development cycle of 4-5 years started BRAND NEW each time??? Or did you just not see the replies??

• AndraviusAndravius Member UncommonPosts: 82

I have to agree with the other posters about cash shop intrusion creep in EQ2.  It irritates me to see ads on my menus.  I think the marketing people should just put that you can instant mend and buy spell upgrades on the website and bury the option in the cash shop interface.  Same goes for the new housing screen.  Put all that crap where it belongs-->the cash shop menu and sub-menus.  And have an opt out selection for subbed customers so the CS ad doesn't come up on login.   AND remove the SC button from the main screen for all players.  I mean its not like players don't know there's a cash shop.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the CS options in EQN will be integrated on the menus.  If that happens, i will not be buying the game.  There's too many options out there to put up with crap like that.

IMO marketing people and lawyers are scum.  Well not all, but most.